Sony Responds to BBC Criticism

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Hmm, looks like another flame war is afoot. Strange that there is not a single mention of Microsoft in this article, but people are still pointing fingers at them (Mornelithe, I'm looking at you).

My opinion: this whole YROD thing is not as bad as these Watchdog guys hype it up to be. Nonetheless, Sony shouldn't be charging such an exorbitant amount to fix their own mistake.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
toapat said:
AceDiamond said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
Paid by Microsoft. Lies inside (c).
Wow, a conspiracy theory and the wrong company tagline in one post. Yes, Microsoft pays off everybody. The BBC, Adam Sessler, and all the gaming publications.
yes they do, otherwise Yahtzee would have to have been worshiping Halo 3, not fucking it in the ear. excluding the fact that the game has very few bugs, it is terrible.
And this is a first party product. MS sucks at making good games most of time. GeoW2 was decent, but thats it. Jesus, I've just stated the obvious and immediately called a fanboy. Just because I like Killzone 1 and 2.
It's like those people never tried Windows Vista, or Office 2007... And still believe microsoft can actually make something good or compete without black PR and lies..

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
murphy7801 said:
Subzerowings said:
I once had this "yellow light of death" and after a while...it just went away.
I sent it in but since the sony repair crew is kind of sh*t (according to my past experiences), they told me there was nothing wrong and sent it back. It wouldn't have been a problem if I didn't have to pay to send it over and be stuck without a ps3 for 2 months.
were do you live
Belgium, europe.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
BBC are morons. I'm british i should know. These are the same wankers sending reporters into gunfights to get 'good news'.

If Sony are telling the truth, then Watchdog are a bunch of scaremongers obsessed with ratings. If Watchdog are telling the truth, then only a small fraction of PS3 owners will suffer because of this fault (although £128 is alot of money), and i would really take my chances with getting a console with a 99.5% chance of breaking down, comapred to the 360's 50% chance (and I think that's a generous statistic, seeing as though everyone, EVERYONE, i know who owns a 360 has had to send it away for repairs at some point, no exception).

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I got the "yellow light of death" last christmas, my PS3 was out of warranty and all I had to pay was E15.60 for the courier...maybe Sony like Ireland more that Britain...

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
If it's out of the warranty, of course they won't fix it for free. My VAIO went wrong within the warranty and they fixed for free it within two days of it being collected (also for free): I can't argue with that, nor can anyone whose machine goes wrong outside warranty. Most electronics have a "defect" insofar as something will go wrong with it sooner or later.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Subzerowings said:
murphy7801 said:
Subzerowings said:
I once had this "yellow light of death" and after a while...it just went away.
I sent it in but since the sony repair crew is kind of sh*t (according to my past experiences), they told me there was nothing wrong and sent it back. It wouldn't have been a problem if I didn't have to pay to send it over and be stuck without a ps3 for 2 months.
were do you live
Belgium, europe.
because i had to wait 7 days for a repair in the uk

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
Lord_Gremlin said:
toapat said:
AceDiamond said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
Paid by Microsoft. Lies inside (c).
Wow, a conspiracy theory and the wrong company tagline in one post. Yes, Microsoft pays off everybody. The BBC, Adam Sessler, and all the gaming publications.
yes they do, otherwise Yahtzee would have to have been worshiping Halo 3, not fucking it in the ear. excluding the fact that the game has very few bugs, it is terrible.
And this is a first party product. MS sucks at making good games most of time. GeoW2 was decent, but thats it. Jesus, I've just stated the obvious and immediately called a fanboy. Just because I like Killzone 1 and 2.
It's like those people never tried Windows Vista, or Office 2007... And still believe microsoft can actually make something good or compete without black PR and lies..
what? like Windows7 and XP systempack 2?

Gears2 is by Epic games, not an inhouse developer. Epic really has only fucked up once which is UT3. i cant forgive them for that, but they still make good games. Like how Blizzard has had a statistically perfect record since 1994, even if you hate WoW.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
poncho14 said:
The yellow light of death, seriously? Could they not think up of something that not similar to RROD.
Isn't it possibly something we, the gamers, thought up and not sony or BBC? So get to finding a new name.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
bad rider said:
Mornelithe said:
bad rider said:
Mornelithe said:
bad rider said:
Erm I'm currently working at a customer services support line so while I understand customers complain, the watchdog is usually the last stop at the end of serveral complaints. I don't think people would complain to them quite so freely, but thats speculation on my part. Anyway, the watchdog only responds once a certain number of people complaints So there is a strong inclination to believe that this was a case worthy of a look see. Also If I wanted someone to report on the case I would pick someone who was likely to know alot about the field eg someone with ties to a software firm. I don't know if it was impartial, but I woould have thought since the johnathan ross incident the editorial staff would sharper.

Note, in case you missed my edit: this is in the UK, so this specific legal notice may not apply outside of the united states, as could be the case considering they will be two different branches of the Sony corporations Playstation branch. This is also indicated by the use of the term Scea Sony Computer Entertainment America
I saw your edit, I just don't feel like deleting my cookies at getting onto SCEUK to get a copy of their Warranty information. You should be able to however.

BBC made a bad call with airing this, and they're gonna pay for it. Deservedly so.
What makes you say that, they criticized a buisness for what could be a legitimate matter. It's good to see the publics money going into a corporation thats not afraid to take on big companys. Makes me figure renewing my tv license is worth it.
*Sigh* If you haven't listened to the broadcast, read the article, and read Sony's response to the BBC, and are still not understanding. I'm not going to even try. It's like ice-skating uphill. Needless to say, the report itself was a fallacy of journalism. The BBC were made aware of the problems with the report, prior to it's being aired...and aired it anyway. Thusly, the BBC and it's subsidiaries are liable in the amount of whatever Sony's massive cadre of lawyers will squeeze out of them.
But they addressed a serious problem, which has affected a large amount of consumers, (even if thats small in relation to total sales) shouting "it's a fallacy of journalism" is a little harsh considering the consumer was affected and they went a fought on their behalf.
Large amount? 155 and even 12,500 arn't large amounts, when the user base more than a million people. Besides if they really wanted to cover this issue why not cover the RRod? Which has effected almost everyone that has bought and x-box.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
bue519 said:
Large amount? 155 and even 12,500 arn't large amounts, when the user base more than a million people. Besides if they really wanted to cover this issue why not cover the RRod? Which has effected almost everyone that has bought and x-box.
1) No numbers anywhere on the internet will tell you that the RRoD has affected 'almost everyone'. Hyperbole, eat your heart out.

2) The point is, as I've gathered, that Watchdog do programs about things which businesses try to cover up/lie about/don't publicise. The RRoD is an admitted fault by Microsoft, and thus the show would be the BBC saying "RROD MICROSOFT! WTF!?" and MS responding: "Yeah, sorry guys. Shit happens. We'll fix it though. Extended warranty and all."

Riveting television I'm sure.

/No RRoD for either my Elite nor my brother's.
//Still not bought a PS3 yet
///Will do once my student loan comes through.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
I'm a self confessed Xbox fan boy. I had the xbox & I'm on my third 360(one repair then i got an elite when it RRoD'd again). I watched the program the other night & I have to say what a load of S**T. They claimed to be able to repair the problem then admitted that 4 0f their 11 repairs packed in again. I have a friend who is on the customer support lines for Sony & he says if a console packs in they replace it the next day. Now you got me a faithful MS customer thinking why should I wait 3 weeks again AGAIN for my console to be repaired???

Also sony make a small loss with the refurbed consoles

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
I actually got the yellow light of death *twice*. Each time, though, the warranty was almost expired, and then they fixed it and extended the warranty (although not by much). Ended up selling the PS3 anyway. I might buy another one someday, but I wanna wait and see how the new slim models hold up.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
bue519 said:
bad rider said:
Mornelithe said:
bad rider said:
Mornelithe said:
bad rider said:
Erm I'm currently working at a customer services support line so while I understand customers complain, the watchdog is usually the last stop at the end of serveral complaints. I don't think people would complain to them quite so freely, but thats speculation on my part. Anyway, the watchdog only responds once a certain number of people complaints So there is a strong inclination to believe that this was a case worthy of a look see. Also If I wanted someone to report on the case I would pick someone who was likely to know alot about the field eg someone with ties to a software firm. I don't know if it was impartial, but I woould have thought since the johnathan ross incident the editorial staff would sharper.

Note, in case you missed my edit: this is in the UK, so this specific legal notice may not apply outside of the united states, as could be the case considering they will be two different branches of the Sony corporations Playstation branch. This is also indicated by the use of the term Scea Sony Computer Entertainment America
I saw your edit, I just don't feel like deleting my cookies at getting onto SCEUK to get a copy of their Warranty information. You should be able to however.

BBC made a bad call with airing this, and they're gonna pay for it. Deservedly so.
What makes you say that, they criticized a buisness for what could be a legitimate matter. It's good to see the publics money going into a corporation thats not afraid to take on big companys. Makes me figure renewing my tv license is worth it.
*Sigh* If you haven't listened to the broadcast, read the article, and read Sony's response to the BBC, and are still not understanding. I'm not going to even try. It's like ice-skating uphill. Needless to say, the report itself was a fallacy of journalism. The BBC were made aware of the problems with the report, prior to it's being aired...and aired it anyway. Thusly, the BBC and it's subsidiaries are liable in the amount of whatever Sony's massive cadre of lawyers will squeeze out of them.
But they addressed a serious problem, which has affected a large amount of consumers, (even if thats small in relation to total sales) shouting "it's a fallacy of journalism" is a little harsh considering the consumer was affected and they went a fought on their behalf.
Because of cost, rrod costs nothing to the consumer, this costs £128 with 12500 people affected, so total that means there is 1.6 million pounds at stake here, because of a companys mistake. Whereas with rrod it's £0 with 300,000. (I don't know the exact figure.) So thats a total of £0 at stake because of a companys mistake.

Charley

Apr 12, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Charley said:
*yawn* Did you learn anything at college? Or were you just there drinking? From the actual intellectual UK residents I've heard from regarding this, they all seem pretty pissed off that their paying license fee's for these people to pull bullshit stunts like this. Regardless, BBC bankrolled it, and neglected to actually check for accuracy. It makes them culpable...which, you'll find out as soon as Sony bends these guys over in court. And they'll win too. The Sony man from the UK, pretty much spelled out every single inaccuracy and foible that show had, prior to the shows launch, and they still backed the report. Their fault. And thusly, they'll take most of the hit when it hits the courts.

And by the way, don't act like the BBC is some holy grail of journalistic integrity. Or have you forgotten it's recent problems with faulty reporting?

Woah.. take it easy on the assaults on my education, and put your fanboy back in your pocket before he makes a scene.

I didn't realis you're not actually from England... You do realise that only the English are allowed to criticise the BBC and the NHS? Ask Obama.

Everyone in the UK hates paying the license fee, that's a given. The fact that the BBC was less-than-correct doesn't make it Bill Gates' monkey-boy.

I'd be surprised if this made it to a court, given that Sony won't disclose their own figures for the yellow-light problem. They're just upset that the BBC showed them up. Happens to every big company eventually. It'd be very expensive to pursue to the end, and Sony's public image would take a battering. The BBC has to be *very* wrong to lose this kind of thing outright - very few companies take action against Watchdog, you'll notice.

The BBC didn't "bankroll" anything, they presented a factual report that there were PS3s that gave out, and could be fixed in under 30 minutes with significantly less data loss than Sony could be bothered to offer.

The issue Sony has is that it was getting away with bad customer service happily, until the BBC pointed it out - even if it's a small percentage of customers they deserve to be shown up for it. That's what Watchdog is for.

Anyway, that'll do.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
bad rider said:
Because of cost, rrod costs nothing to the consumer, this costs £128 with 12500 people affected, so total that means there is 1.6 million pounds at stake here, because of a companys mistake. Whereas with rrod it's £0 with 300,000. (I don't know the exact figure.) So thats a total of £0 at stake because of a companys mistake.
That's assuming that all of them are out of warranty, and all of them were under the same ailment.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Jumplion said:
bad rider said:
That's assuming that all of them are out of warranty, and all of them were under the same ailment.
Thats why I used the term at stake but yes you are right.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
People here are avoiding talking about the consequences of the real story here.

Obviously what has happened is the Nigerians have infiltrated the BBC in order to further promote their aggressive media campaign against the unfortunately blind-sided Sony Corporation in an attempt to improve their own public image. Following the Nigerian backlash over PS3 commercials and the District 9 movie, various deposed Nigerian princes and royalty now living in the UK were contacted by the current regime. Each were asked to contact the BBC with complaints about a 'supposed' yellow light of death they had experienced on the PS3. In return, the deposed members of the royal family would each receive a wealth of funds following the deposit of a small amount to the reigning government.

Also on offer was 2000 cases of cat food to the earliest contributor.