Sony Servers Infiltrated Abroad, Twice

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Servers Infiltrated Abroad, Twice

The war of Sony vs. hackers is still being fought on multiple fronts.

Sony still faces attacks on its web-based infrastructure shortly after finally getting the PlayStation Network external intrusion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110055-Sony-Restores-the-PlayStation-Network]. Two newly revealed attacks seem to indicate that Sony has become a very popular target.

IT security company F-Secure reports [http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002160.html] the discovery of a phishing site recently running through the use of a Sony Thailand server. The scheme targeted an Italian credit card company. F-Secure adds that while this is a malicious hack, the server used is "probably not very important."

The second attack involves So-net, an internet provider run by Sony in Japan. Vaguely similar to the PSN attack, So-net was infiltrated by an intruder that targeted its users' reward points. However, unlike the sophisticated nature of the PSN situation, the So-net intruder may have simply obtained log-in names and used randomly generated passwords to gain access to multiple accounts. A So-net warning claimed that a single IP address had attempted to access the network 10,000 times. At the end of the day, around $1,225 in virtual reward points were taken from So-net users, with 200-300 different accounts accessed. No personal information is said to have been stolen.

Sony also recently went through a situation with an exploit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110159-UPDATE-PSN-Password-Reset-Vulnerable-to-Exploit] that allowed a PSN password to be changed using a user name and an email address without confirmation. A security expert commented to Reuters: "I think it's now 'I'm a hacker and I'm bored, let's go after Sony.'" The Sony server attacks made headlines worldwide, which was not only bad PR for Sony, but a form of pheromone for hackers that may be specifically targeting the company from any angle they can find.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/20/us-sony-hacker-idUSTRE74J3Z820110520]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
So is like the cool thing to do now?

Because if it is these people need to get a life and stop.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Now this I am against. I was all for the first hacking because that makes Sony get their shit straight. This however is just overkill.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
A security expert commented to Reuters: "I think it's now 'I'm a hacker and I'm bored, let's go after Sony.'"
The sad thing is that all it takes is a bored hacker to infiltrate the servers of one of the largest corporations in the world. Maybe that's something they should look into when even their security expert recognizes it and is actually unashamed to say it out loud.

slimeonline

is wondering how long this can b
Mar 22, 2010
Saw this earlier on twitter. Hilarious as an xbox owner.

Hackers: 6 Sony:0

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
These people need to fucking stop. It was never clever, cool, rebellious, or funny. It is dickish and pathetic.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Vrach said:
Tom Goldman said:
A security expert commented to Reuters: "I think it's now 'I'm a hacker and I'm bored, let's go after Sony.'"
The sad thing is that all it takes is a bored hacker to infiltrate the servers of one of the largest corporations in the world. Maybe that's something they should look into when even their security expert recognizes it and is actually unashamed to say it out loud.
Nah, they'll just have to sue their most vocal detractors, that solves everything all the time.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
HankMan said:
If Sony were a My little Pony, it would have a bull's eye on it's rump.
This what happens when your try to restrict your customers' services.
....by stealing millions of people's information and continuing to harass the customer?

See, I never understood the argument of "this is what happens when you do this and this and this and yadda yadda yadda" because it's not helping their cause in any way whatsoever. If these hackers wanted to send a message of "don't fuck with your consumers", then their M.O. isn't exactly the best way to show that message.

Does Sony deserve some of this? Probably, I have no idea at this point. Do the consumers deserve this shit? I don't think so, no. Any semblance of altruism in these hackers must be filtered through their warped sense of justice. But they're not "for the people". They weren't the moment they stole the customer's information, the people that some say they're trying to defend, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Now it's just assholery. These continued hacks do nothing to support any cause, they're just dicks at this point.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I wonder where all this hacker rage was when microsoft was bullying retailers into letting their products undercut other companies, violating anti trust laws, banning xbl accounts that had modded systems and on and on for decades.

Some of you xbl peeps seem to have very selective memories when ms does stuff that limits gamers rights and other companies rights, just because you own an xbox. But sony does something and your all over like rabid fanbois and cheering people that are breaking the law cause "sony was asking for it".

Two words.

GROW UP.

Hell you could nitpick and make a case against apple, microsoft, sony, EA, activision, china and on and on as companies/countries that are "asking for it." But to cheer when a company you dont like is getting raped is stupid, you would not be cheering if it was one of your favorite companies or a product you support so stop doing it.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Hackers,or whatever the corect name is for this people, aren't targetting only Sony. To think that it's ridiculous becaus it would mean they could infiltrate any big company with a little effort. Sony gets the boot because it seems they have shit security systems. Attacks like that are sent probably each day to Microsoft,Nintendo etc but they repulse them it seems.

Sure customers have the right to be angry with this scumbags that steal their info but they should be mad the same way to Sony for not protecting them as it should. I doubt Microsoft hired all the good security experts and Sony got the retard ones.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Why is this a surprise? In Taiwan, pirated games outnumber legitimate games by several multiples. In fact, just about anything legal there is outnumbered.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
slimeonline said:
Saw this earlier on twitter. Hilarious as an xbox owner.

Hackers: 6 Sony:0
Yeah, it's gonna be really hilarious when they get bored with Sony, right?

Microsoft has built up a ton of ill-will from the PC community, from constantly taking a dump on PC gaming. So, best of luck.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
Jumplion said:
HankMan said:
If Sony were a My little Pony, it would have a bull's eye on it's rump.
This what happens when your try to restrict your customers' services.
....by stealing millions of people's information and continuing to harass the customer?
i always understood it as if you target the user's then the user's wise up and sony has to pay the brunt of it. the PSN attack got users details but it also cost sony a hell of alot in costs and trying to win their user's trust back with free games, not to mention the lost sales. these continued attacks are probably just to kick the company while it's down to show incompetence accross the board. perhaps show some sort of contempt from sony to their customers data. i wouldn't be surprised if the data isn't used for anything. it will cost sony alot more than it would cost the consumer.

theres a point and a limit to these attacks and to be fair they need to end now with a statement. saying that it's over. we need confirmation otherwise continued attacks could be anyone. besides it's just a banner that hackers have gathered under, it will die down and be "uncool" soon enough.

i for one am sad that this is the type of way that gets people's attention

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
So is like the cool thing to do now?

Because if it is these people need to get a life and stop.
I don't find it cool at all. If THEY do, then it's time to see the sun again.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
cerebus23 said:
But to cheer when a company you dont like is getting raped is stupid, you would not be cheering if it was one of your favorite companies or a product you support so stop doing it.
If it was happening to one of my "favorite" companies, they certainly would not be my favorite company any more... for argument sakes, if this had happened to xbox + microsoft, my xbox would now be stuffed in a cupboard somewere, and i would be saving for a ps3 as my trust would be completly lost in tht company

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
HankMan said:
Yes it is assholery but the thing is Sony wouldn't have been targeted if they hadn't tried to stop people from jail-breaking the PS3, or given them reason to. Once people started screwing around with the PS3, it was only a matter of time before someone used that knowledge maliciously.
That doesn't give these hackers a free pass to steal 70+ million customers their personal information and potentially credicards, along with several other thousand from other sites. I don't care how big of an asshole the company is, you don't attack victim to deter the bully. These attacks, if truly to "teach Sony a lesson", are the worst form of teaching I've seen in a while.

It's all well and good to go "Coulda, woulda, shoulda" and "if they only did/didn't do X", but that doesn't change the fact that these hackers stole people's information. If they truly were altruistic, they would have broken in without stealing a single bit of information and instead pointing out the flaws. Maybe they'd continue to do break their system until Sony cleaned up their act, and they would explicitly tell them so.

As is, these hackers/crackers/whatever broke into various servers, stole millions of people's information, brought down a service for over a month, and continue to do so even after it's all done. I don't care if Sony deserved it or not, you instantly lose any "for the people" rally rights when you attack "the people".