Sony Still Unsure About Credit Card Leak on PSN

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
jakefongloo said:
Macrobstar said:
wow the 360 fanboys are having a field day with this, its a good job 360 doesn't have any hardware failures... oh wait
I'm not a fanboy I love games not consoles and it doesn't matter what I play them on, but I can't let this slide.

Nothing has been confirmed, but lets assume worse case scenario.

Xbox warranty is 1 year (3 years for the 3 red rings)
The most you have to sacrifice is 1 month till you get it back or $100 and one month if you're out of warranty
Xbox comes out approx 4 months (I believe...) before the Wii and PS3
Xbox releases the elite edition as a base for every Xbox past November 2008 releases
If you're Xbox broke and didn't want wait a month (Again don't know why you can't play on something else or someone else's)
You pay $300 for an elite console and I believe a 100 or 250 gig harddrive
It doesn't break again I have never had it broken and I don't personally know anyone else who has I do know a fair amount of people who play.

All in all it was a mess but the month of waiting is countered by the fact it comes out 3-4 months before the rest of them

PS3 costed $600 out of the gate for the good stuff (2 xboxs with the good stuff)
I keep somewhere between $2000-$4000 in my bank at any one moment for emergancies
If I had a PS3 that money could very well be gone

Get over yourself this is the biggest fuck-up since...gee I guess it is the biggest fuck-up period.

Now is not the time to be a fan-boy. This is the time gamers must unite. A hacker (presumably a gamer too most hackers are gamers) just turned our favorite past-time into an attack onto ourselves. We need to lynch this asshat!
Biggest fuck up ever? So sony fixing there online with added security features is worse than microsoft releasing a console with a blatant hardware problem that affects over %50 of the systems then expects you to buy an elite to make sure you don't get it?
And dude its not a big deal I was just making a joke I own all the systems and play on my 360 a lot (Check my profile), I love all of them, this is not some massive disaster that can't be joked about I was merely reminding everyone that no system is perfect, so calm down and stop spewing statistics everywhere, everyone knows the console you think is best comes down to personal preference

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Delusibeta said:
Akalistos said:
Delusibeta said:
Akalistos said:
danpascooch said:
Trogdor1138 said:
Donnyp said:
So....In the attack from Anonymous they stole the information from random people all over the world.....yeah they really are trying to help their cause of....not being douches i really have no idea why they do anything.
It wasn't "Anonymous" people! Where on earth did you get this idea? It's just speculation, they have no damn reason to attack and do something like this, nor would the average person have the skills to do so. This is something much different.

Also, thanks Escapist for not bringing the Anon thing into another article, I was getting tired of the constant "It could be Anonymous because blahblah".

I will be looking forward to the PSN coming back online :)

inb4 Console war fanbo- Oh wait, nevermind...
I don't think it was Anon either, but you can't possibly argue that they have no reason to do this, they did just announce they were going after Sony after all.

But still Motive does not equal proof, I don't think Anon did this.
Anonimous isn't a defender of Internet right. Not everything they did was to further some righteous cause.

That said, They have stated that it wasn't them or if it was, it was a overzealous splintered group. If it's them, they'll get bad rep with a large group of people (and not just ps3 owners) and if they didn't... well. If the hat fit.
I'd imagine 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of Anonymous couldn't manage this. I expect it was a lone hacker with [HEADING=1]a virus payload.[/HEADING]
To completely down a whole system like that for multiple days when you know that the company got staff dedicated to maintain it... And you think it's the action of a lone man? You are delusional, lying or a troll. I sure by now that this is the work of a group of hackers regardless if they are affiliated with Anonimous. Unless they are picking their nose at Sony, I can guaranty that the damage couldn't been done by a lone hacker and a "he" wouldn't be able to keep it offline for that long. Each new day will validate more and more my hypothesis and disprove yours. Still, I hope Sony put legal actions on all the aforementioned hackers. Some of them are playing for a service that cannot be delivered thank to them. I would deem fair that the damage being repaid to both Sony and the consumers.
May I suggest reading the post again? I'm saying that a particularly nasty virus took down the PSN servers, by rendering the database servers in need of a reformat, forcing Sony to reconstruct said databases. Who would be most likely to leave said virus? A lone hacker, and a good hacker at that (which rules out 99.99999999999999999999999999999999etc% of Anon, since they couldn't hack out of a paper bag, unless it involves typing an IP address into LOIC. And, quite frankly, anyone can do that).
May I suggest eating your own word? Like I said, Sony employ actual computer science majors (as in, a whole team) to maintain servers. That said, If it was a virus as nasty that you say done by one man as you say, they would know what to do and how to save what wasn't corrupted as of yet. Meaning? I say, 2 days to repair at most. Maybe less depending on how big the team is. As for your claim of Anon, I do not care nor think it's relevant. Like I said; I think only time will tell, but as of what it's telling now, Your's hypothesis seem to be wrong.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
stinkychops said:
TPiddy said:
Well, you get what you pay for I guess....
Are you suggesting the fact that the service is not directly paid for implies Sony doesn't have any responsibility to provide it?

Sony is handling this terribly.

If they have lost peoples details and this results in them having money stolen, sony better damn well pay these people back.
No, I'm implying that a company with little to no experience in online networking and gaming offering a free network to support their console is going to have it's drawbacks... lack of security obviously being one of them. There are reasons Microsoft charges for LIVE and this is one of them :)

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
8-Bit Grin said:
TPiddy said:
Well, you get what you pay for I guess....
You mean: You get what you don't pay for.

Also, I'd be willing to bet Anon wouldn't dare take credit for this even if it was responsible. I mean, gamers can be quite vindictive.
Well, I mean PSN's free... what were PS3 users expecting from it? Do they have any recourse now?

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Macrobstar said:
Biggest fuck up ever? So sony fixing there online with added security features is worse than microsoft releasing a console with a blatant hardware problem that affects over %50 of the systems then expects you to buy an elite to make sure you don't get it?
And dude its not a big deal I was just making a joke I own all the systems and play on my 360 a lot (Check my profile), I love all of them, this is not some massive disaster that can't be joked about I was merely reminding everyone that no system is perfect, so calm down and stop spewing statistics everywhere, everyone knows the console you think is best comes down to personal preference
Microsoft is not without it's faults, but PS3 fanboys for years loved to throw the "PSN is free" shit in our faces... now we have some ammo to counter that. At least Microsoft has never compromised my credit card information.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
TPiddy said:
Well, I mean PSN's free...
What were PS3 users expecting from it? Do they have any recourse now?
Nope, I suppose that we don't.

However, I believe that most of us expected a little better than this.

More than a little lag is a lot different than a complete shut down for nearly a week.

PSN has never been perfect, but this is ridiculous.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
TPiddy said:
Macrobstar said:
Microsoft is not without it's faults, but PS3 fanboys for years loved to throw the "PSN is free" shit in our faces... now we have some ammo to counter that. At least Microsoft has never compromised my credit card information.
..Which hasn't even been confirmed yet

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Macrobstar said:
TPiddy said:
Macrobstar said:
..Which hasn't even been confirmed yet
They've confirmed that it was exposed... but they're not about to publicly state that it's been taken. They'll notify the victims themselves.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
stinkychops said:
People should expect to have their details stolen?

People used the service to make purchases, if sony can;t handle that then they shouldn't offer it.
No, I'm not saying people should 'expect' this sort of thing to happen, all I'm saying is you get what you pay for and free services are more likely to have problems.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
8-Bit Grin said:
TPiddy said:
Well, I mean PSN's free...
What were PS3 users expecting from it? Do they have any recourse now?
Nope, I suppose that we don't.

However, I believe that most of us expected a little better than this.

More than a little lag is a lot different than a complete shut down for nearly a week.

PSN has never been perfect, but this is ridiculous.
Yeah, it's absurd that they allowed this to happen, but the company's been bleeding money for a long time now over the PS3 so I'm not surprised they haven't invested as heavily in PSN. Though I have to say, I thought I'd be happy about this as a huge counter point to the PS3, being a 360 fanboy and all, but the reality is I just feel bad for PS3 owners now.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I don't care what anonymous says. They ARE to blame for this.

Even if it's Sony's fault for having lackluster Security, I still support them. I HATE anonymous for what it's done. YOu do NOT steal information and then cry about fighting for rights.

YES I'M MAD OVER IT.

Game_Geek

Mar 26, 2011
I guess if you never saved your credit card info to the PSN servers and just bought PSN cards you're safe. This is tragic news... (>*.*)> Japanese cured? <(*.*<)