Sony Sued Over PS3-Destroying Firmware 3.0

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
asinann said:
JoshGod said:
have microsoft been sued for RROD? seriously i dont know. anyway i hope they are.
They haven't and won't be, they pre-empted the lawsuits by extending the warranty to cover the repairs for it as opposed to trying to charge for them. Hell, they even pay shipping.
Pretty much this. My Xbox RRoD on me, I ran up Microsoft, they emailed me stuff and I sent it off. All I paid for was the sticky tape to tape the label to the box. I think this would run a lot smoother if PS3 didn't make the poor sod who's PS3 has bricked pay for everything. That's one way of losing customers and making sure you don't get new ones.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Onmi said:
paragon1 said:
Onmi said:
neurohazzard said:
Why are people surprised? Sony, as a company, is evil. Pure god damn evil. I could list the shit they've pulled over the years, but it would give me a headache.
Well at least someone gets it.

Companies are evil, inherantly! especially in a competitive buisness! All of them are so theres no reason to make one out to be more evil than the others!
Ah no, companies are not inherently evil. Greedy? Definitly! Evil? Not usually. They want your money. Are you going to give your money to an evil person? No? Didn't think so. Sending out an update that breaks your console is a case of incompetence. For it to be evil, it would have to set off a hidden package of C4 meant to kill you, or something.
What is money the root of all?
Cliches?

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
Heh, sounds like what would be a failed BIOS update on the pc. Something you should only do if you are certain it is the correct version of the update you have, are sure the computer have power all the time during the update and are not afraid of having to buy a new motherboard/BIOS chip if it goes wrong.

I have once in my now 20 years or so of computer ownership updated a BIOS once and I was quite scarred that something might go wrong (it didn't).

Fortunately, contrary to this PS3 update a BIOS update is almost always optional and no OS that I know of demands a certain type of BIOS.
If this is what this update are then they definetely shouldn't have made it a necessary update but an optional one.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
First the RroD then the Wii now the PS3, Thank god I stick with the PC where things [i}work[/i]and are not trashed by the developers themselves.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
I apoligize in advance if I am wrong about this. My lawyer speak is not very good.

TERMS OF SERVICE AND USER AGREEMENT [http://www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreements/13]

10. MAINTENANCE AND UPGRADES

From time to time, it may become necessary for SCEA to provide certain content or services to you to ensure that PSN, your PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system or other SCEA-authorized hardware is functioning properly in accordance with SCEA guidelines. Some content or services may be provided automatically without notice when you sign into PSN. Such content or service may include automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities. Such upgrades or updates may be provided for system software for your PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system, or other SCEA-authorized hardware. Access or use to any system software is subject to terms and conditions of a separate end user license agreement found at http://www.us.Playstation.com/termsofuse. You authorize SCEA to provide such content and services and agree that SCEA shall not be liable for any damages arising from provision of such content or services or maintenance services. It is recommended that you regularly back up any data located on the hard disk that is of a type that can be backed up.

PezNic

Jan 7, 2009
So glad i use a PC, dont have companies like sony or MS with their hands around my nads like consoles do. Freedom of choice ftw

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
axia777 said:
I see what you are saying. In other words a small batch of badly produced chips in the PS3's had a bad reaction to the firmware update thus messing up the Blu Ray drive/other system components. I guess this is quite possible but I would have to ask a person more informed as to the possible interactions between chips and firmware. Good luck proving any of it in court though.

You are right though that Sony would never turn over evidence incriminating themselves. Not only is that illegal but I am sure that both the chips in the PS3, the firmware, and the interactions between he two are protected by lots of trade laws.

This law suit is hosed.
not really badly produced chips but chips on the higher end of tolerance. it's not that they are bad, it's just they aren't as good as the other ones, ie they're as good as the other ones but still usable

the only way to prove it is for Sony to incriminate themselves and they won't do that. this was already tried earlier when SCO sued IBM and ask them to turn over stuff to prove their case.

Onmi said:
Silver Patriot said:
I apoligize in advance if I am wrong about this. My lawyer speak is not very good.

TERMS OF SERVICE AND USER AGREEMENT [http://www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreements/13]

10. MAINTENANCE AND UPGRADES

From time to time, it may become necessary for SCEA to provide certain content or services to you to ensure that PSN, your PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system or other SCEA-authorized hardware is functioning properly in accordance with SCEA guidelines. Some content or services may be provided automatically without notice when you sign into PSN. Such content or service may include automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities. Such upgrades or updates may be provided for system software for your PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system, or other SCEA-authorized hardware. Access or use to any system software is subject to terms and conditions of a separate end user license agreement found at http://www.us.Playstation.com/termsofuse. You authorize SCEA to provide such content and services and agree that SCEA shall not be liable for any damages arising from provision of such content or services or maintenance services. It is recommended that you regularly back up any data located on the hard disk that is of a type that can be backed up.
You assume people READ the ToS they agree too?! I swear to god I could put in a clause saying that eventually you have to play in a best of 5 match set in different games against a genetic game freak for the rights to your console.

NO ONE WOULD NOTICE!
actually it doesn't matter if you read the agreement or not, it's still binding. the only thing is if it asks for something that is illegal that part of the contract is invalid. in this case it would hold up in court

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Onmi said:
paragon1 said:
Onmi said:
paragon1 said:
Onmi said:
neurohazzard said:
Why are people surprised? Sony, as a company, is evil. Pure god damn evil. I could list the shit they've pulled over the years, but it would give me a headache.

Companies are evil, inherantly! especially in a competitive buisness! All of them are so theres no reason to make one out to be more evil than the others!
Ah no, companies are not inherently evil. Greedy? Definitly! Evil? Not usually. They want your money. Are you going to give your money to an evil person? No? Didn't think so. Sending out an update that breaks your console is a case of incompetence. For it to be evil, it would have to set off a hidden package of C4 meant to kill you, or something.
What is money the root of all?
Cliches?
no thats unoriginality.
Unproven concepts about human nature? Seriously though, wanting to turn a profit doesn't make you evil.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
RobCoxxy said:
cleverlymadeup said:
RobCoxxy said:
PS3 fanboys whose main argument against 360 is the RROD, feel ashamed now.
yes cause there has been so many reported cases of this compared to the RROD that the 360 still is plagued with
True dat, but we don't download RROD. :)
but firmware can be fixed, the RROD can't :)
True, but Microsoft don't charge for RROD replacement consoles.
Sony charge for the Firmware error. :)

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Reckon I should check out Uncharted to see if it's effected it.

Is there a list of games which have had problems since 3.01?

neurohazzard

Nov 24, 2007
paragon1 said:
Onmi said:
neurohazzard said:

Sending out an update that breaks your console is the incompetence part, charging people $150 for repair is the evil part, and frankly it's not even that high on the scale of "evil shit sony has done". Regardless of whether or not companies are inherently evil, sony really takes the cake.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
cleverlymadeup said:
RobCoxxy said:
cleverlymadeup said:
RobCoxxy said:
yes cause there has been so many reported cases of this compared to the RROD that the 360 still is plagued with
Both consoles break. Lets just leave it at that so no flamewar starts over this.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
gof22 said:
RobCoxxy said:
cleverlymadeup said:
RobCoxxy said:
cleverlymadeup said:
RobCoxxy said:
Both consoles break. Lets just leave it at that so no flamewar starts over this.
Not flaming, I like that guy! :D

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Well serves them bloody right. I hope they get their asses sued off!

I don't even own a PS3 and I think it's utter rubbish to have to pay 150$ to fix it because Sony fucked up. Same with Wii and intially, 360 (they do it free now)

Sony and Nintendo, this may sound alien to you but you should test your damn firmware updates to avoid being sued.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Marq said:
I've never before seen a console generation with so many fatal flaws. It's appalling. And despite all this bricking, criticism of PC elitism is at an all-time high.
Probably BECAUSE of all the flaws. It's like, the PC crowd is off in a corner, snickering at all the console gamers and their bricked and overheating systems, and the console gamers are so frustrated at spending more time and money on trying to get a working console than they would have spent on a gaming PC, that they're starting to stand up and shout "OH YEAH? WELL YOU PC GAMERS ARE ALL POOPIE-HEADS!"

But back to the topic, I think we're seeing so many problems because this is the first console generation where most people will connect their consoles to the internet. So now the companies can release updates and software improvements dynamically, giving them more opportunities to FUCK EVERYTHING UP!

And we're also having problems because we're letting Microsoft manufacture something more complex than a fancy plastic box for their Windows software (very nifty boxes, by the way). At least the Japanese can get the hardware right.