Sony Sued Over PS3-Destroying Firmware 3.0

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Quadtrix said:
Woodsey said:
Spirultima said:
Hm, well at least i can take this as it not being worse then the RRoD, but on a less fanboy note, Sony made a mistake, as long as they fix it, i won't lose too much respect for Sony.
To be fair to Sony, they released a fix for it pretty quick (like you said). To be unfair to Sony, they should of tested it beforehand and this is their fault.

Surely this is an equivalent to the RRoD (ignoring the ridiculous failure rate)? I mean, these are both complete hardware failures.

I'm sure they've got enough money in the piggy-bank to settle this over without too much damage though.
I'm sure they do test them. You have to keep in mind that a bad update won't always destroy EVERY console. It's possible the update had no affect on the PS3's they tested.
Fair point, obviously this happens in games a lot which is why their seems to be a lot of emergency patches being released these days.

I'm sure they did test it (I embarrassingly left out 'more' between 'tested it' and 'beforehand' ), but a few thousand consoles is still quite a few, no matter how many are in circulation. There's also those that haven't died but have been affected so games don't work properly (I believe that's the situation now with Uncharted?).

As far as I'm aware (I don't own a PS3) it was a fairly large and important update, so...

I don't know, it just seems odd that whilst this is (relatively speaking) a serious but fairly contained incident, someone would of noticed it at some stage, or come across something that didn't seem right.

Then again I have no idea how they test things, and they could of done everything possible and not encountered anything due to (bad?) luck.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
iamq said:
They're suing Sony over a problem that's already fixed?

Whyyyyyyyy?
Put it this way: Someone doctors accidentally break your leg whilst you're in hospital to fix your broken hand. They say they'll repair it, but you have to pay.

Would you not just be slightly pissed?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
ThePeiceOfEden said:
gof22 said:
ThePeiceOfEden said:
Thank god for Microsoft and their 360
I hope this was a joke otherwise I see a flame war in the immediate future.

Aww shit forget this ever happened
Yes lets... I don't know how many more console-dick-waving-contests this site can take, I know I can't take much more.

As far as the firmware update goes, that really sucks. I'm sure they'll get it fixed, but now they have to find a way to deal with the consoles that are screwed up because of it.

Beastialman said:
Casual Shinji said:
I'm sure Sony has some juggernaut lawyers who smooth things over.
Hah! That picture is awesome. Now if only we had HIM as a lawyer...

misfit119

Dec 24, 2008
See, this is the problem with idiotic lawsuits like this. Instead of just suing Sony for repayment of money spent and lawyers fees these guys are trying to make money off of this. They'll probably fail thanks to this face. If they'd just tried to sue Sony for money to make them change their policies to force Sony to pull a MS, paying for repairing their consoles that break due to nothing that the gamer did, then this lawsuit would have a really good chance to see a positive change in how Sony handles these situations.

What I don't understand is how this even happened. From my understanding every time you download an update for the PS3 you're downloading most of the OS the PS3 uses with the changes made. That's supposed to be why it takes so long to download and install as compared to most of the 360 updates (one of the few things the 360 has on the PS3). So how does something like this happen? I dunno. Just a bit confused.

MecaEcco

Jun 30, 2008
Now I hope people can see why these software updates are a disaster! Wii got nailed with it too.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
JoshGod said:
have microsoft been sued for RROD? seriously i dont know. anyway i hope they are.
Hardware failure + extended warranty is not the same as untested software that breaks the console, and then charging to fix it.

My PS3 seems to work fine with 3.0, but then it is just a glorified DVD player.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
It's a console. A standard hardware platform. If there are strange variants out there in the market, Sony should have at least one, more likely twenty, of each as test units sitting around, running various versions of the firmware, just so they can test how it reacts to the update push.

Long story short, somebody got paid to not do their job and the consumer had to pay the price for it.

The most insulting thing about it is Sony demanding money to fix their fuckup.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
Marq said:
I've never before seen a console generation with so many fatal flaws. It's appalling. And despite all this bricking, criticism of PC elitism is at an all-time high.
It's because the components and software of the new consoles are much more advanced, making them harder to predict as we have with older technologies we know everything about. Also people want everything now, as opposed to when it's good and ready, which means errors occur or games require download-able content to be complete. The customers complain either way, I just would hope that they ignore the complaining about it being overdue and test the thing to the very best of their abilities before launch.

Dragonearl

Mar 14, 2009
My PS3 Slim went through the whole process smoothly..I think. I heard the whole issue is with Uncharted but I haven't bought the game yet so I can't say for sure. Anyway, I am sure Sony's soulless lawyers will find a loop-hole to get away with this and continue with life as they know it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
iamq said:
They're suing Sony over a problem that's already fixed?

Whyyyyyyyy?
The issue was that for them, it *wasn't* already fixed. The updates bricked their PS3s, if their claims are to be believed.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
As a PC gamer I can't help but smile wickedly when I read news like this (the Wii update is another example). PC gets slammed by console fans for having widely diverse hardware that's hard to develop for. After hearing that for years, I can't help but laugh inside when I see that even with completely standardized (or close to it) hardware, screwups such this can happen...

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
Simalacrum said:
first an update for the Wii destroys consoles, now firmware 3.1 is doing so too? Blimey, suddenly this whole 'system update' business is looking rather risky!
Im not turning my 360 on now -_-

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
manaman said:
I am off the opinion that a person should be able to modify the hardware they own as they see fit. The fact that this update was forced on the people without their consent would mean that if the update did brick the PS3's with modifications then it should still be Sony's responsibility to fix it. If the customer had the choice then it would not be Sony's fault if they went ahead with the update and ruined their PS3.
they didn't have to update their PS3, they were given a choice. however if they didn't they couldn't connect to the PSN or the store.

as for modifying your own hardware, that's a whole big bad can of worms and would add more problems than it would solve and would probly brick more systems than do anything good

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
VincentX3 said:
Serves them right. They could "at least" test the firmwire update to see if it works.
*Ahem* It's was only "thousands" of PS3s. Not all of them. It probably worked when they tested it. I know my PS3 hasn't been damaged from the firmware.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
i don't understand how it could get this far.. if my ps3 died after a mandatory update Sony would be fixing it for free. I wouldn't take any crap from them..

ps.. ohh when people purchased a ps3 and shelled out 500 why not spend an extra 40 and BUY A WARRANTY....i dont understand that...

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
wow! i was just about to update to 3.1 good thing the network went down when i was downloading the update

but all my games seem to work OK... mind you i only have Little big planet, Killzone 2, [PROTOTYPE], Metal Gear 4, Batman and Saints Row 2.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
i have a launch 60gb ps3... and knock on wood i haven't had any problems with it...