Sony Triumphant as PlayStation 3 Returns to Europe

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Triumphant as PlayStation 3 Returns to Europe

Sony has succeeded in overturning LG's injunction against the PlayStation 3 in Europe, meaning that desperately needed relief supplies will finally start flowing to the console-starved continent.

In February, Dutch courts awarded LG a ten-day injunction against Sony which resulted in the seizure [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108101-LG-Suit-Forces-Seizure-of-Thousands-of-PS3s] of tens of thousands of PlayStation 3 consoles by customs officials. The dispute actually began with a Sony complaint that several LG smartphones infringe upon Sony patents; LG responded with similar complaints against Sony Blu-ray players, including the PS3, and managed to convince the court to halt imports of the console to Europe.

But the Hague civil court has now ruled in favor of Sony's emergency challenge to the injunction. LG was directed to immediately return all seized PlayStation 3 consoles, 300,000 in total, to Sony, and will face fines of €200,000 ($276,000) per day until it complies. LG was also ordered to pay Sony's legal costs, to the tune of €130,000 ($180,000).

It's a pretty big win for Sony, although the decision has no bearing on the underlying patent dispute between Sony and LG. Those cases will continue to work their way through the courts.

Source: Twitter [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26404379&postcount=167]

Dec 14, 2009
Wait, if it's just a Dutch thing, isn't saying the 'PS3 returns to Europe!" rather silly?

Kind of like saying 'We Dare won't be released in Europe' when it's just the UK.

Belzera

Prinny Puncher
Apr 14, 2009
Good for Sony then, thats some potential lost profit back in their coffers.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Whew, I'm relieved. Now I can get them legally, I'll buy a dozen.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Wait, if it's just a Dutch thing, isn't saying the 'PS3 returns to Europe!" rather silly?

Kind of like saying 'We Dare won't be released in Europe' when it's just the UK.
They were shipping them all from there to the rest of Europe I believe, so none of us were getting them.

Ross Perot said:
Daystar Clarion said:

well, that's games journalism for you! Facts are irrelevant as long as you get a good headline.
See above. Perhaps you should attempt some research next time, before criticising others for a "lack" of it?

Femaref

May 4, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

Rotterdamn is one of the biggest ports in the whole of europe and a lot of goods for europe flow through there. Sony only used that port for europe, so all shipments were halted and none in europe could get them.

Dec 14, 2009
Femaref said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Rotterdamn is one of the biggest ports in the whole of europe and a lot of goods for europe flow through there. Sony only used that port for europe, so all shipments were halted and none in europe could get them.
Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. Would have cleared things up if that was in the article. My thanks.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
In the words of my ultra-liberal girlfriend. "oh you and your first world problems". That aside, did anyone doubt this would happen?

I love the headline, haha. "WE NEED PEOPLE TO READ THIS... NOW!!!!!"

If it had taken much longer, then they would have simply started importing them from other places. The court injunction really only hurt the businesses that were doing the shipping and storing. Yay government.

Quick quiz, how many officials families do you think got free PS3's out of the situation?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ross Perot said:
well, that's games journalism for you! Facts are irrelevant as long as you get a good headline.
All PS3s destined for Europe, including the UK, are shipped in through Amsterdam and Rotterdam. So while the seizure order only applies to the Netherland, it effectively cuts off all of Europe.

This has all been explained previously. Perhaps next time you should look into that before you say something stupid.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Ross Perot said:
Andy Chalk said:
Ross Perot said:
All PS3s destined for Europe, including the UK, are shipped in through Amsterdam and Rotterdam. So while the seizure order only applies to the Netherland, it effectively cuts off all of Europe.

This has all been explained previously. Perhaps next time you should look into that before you say something stupid.
I don't feel that it was adequately explained in your news post. Remember, i'm the poor dumb reader, i can't be expected to be extremely well-read on the subject.
Then don't comment on it?

Oh and:

Wonder what such a short delay has actually cost Sony...

I mean how many PS3's are sold a day? How many are shipped in per day?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

Rotterdam is the biggest port on the continent so if you can't bring your stuff in through Rotterdam then you'll have to bring them in through smaller ports with less infrastructure and, thusly, higher costs.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Snip

LG was also ordered to pay Sony's legal costs, to the tune of €130,000 ($180,000).

Snip
The finer points of law escape me but it's things like this that bamboozle me.

LG had a court sanctioned embargo put on the PS3 (obviously legally ok because the court decided that "yeah this is what we're gonna do") but now Sony have got the court to change its mind; no doubt through behind the scenes politicking. That court then also decides that LG has to pay Sony's legal fees.

Eh? Why should LG have to pay for the court changing its mind?

Whatever, I don't really care but this just doesn't make sense.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
TEAM SONY FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im still curious how the patents gona play out.
I mean..if LG wins doesnt that mean Sony will get all its PS3`s screwed :O

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Glad to hear. Sony hasn't been the most sympathetic of gaming corporations lately, but this whole lawsuit stank of BS.
Onyx Oblivion said:
Damn. And I was going to become a PS3 smuggler.
/thread