Sony Website Hacked By the "Lulz Boat"

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
So they kicked them while they were down just to show how easy it is to kick them. That sounds like a fucking poor excuse. Can't people just let them recover instead of fucking with them?

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I just wanted to say, I haven't seen any posts or articles about it, but the free invasion of privacy security bullshit that Sony was offering, I just wanted to point out that it is total bullshit.

It was okay until it asked for my email password. It wanted me to submit my email password (in addition to my private address and phone number, etc. which is okay because I figure the hackers already have that).

Maybe the whole thing was a phishing attempt I don't know, becuase phishing is getting a lot better lately, but it looked pretty legit. It fucking asked me for my email password. I so don't fucking think so, not with Sony's record of security.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
I don't doubt that LulzSec did in fact hack Sony. But the exact methods they used (and the time it took them to do so) is up in the air. Unless you can go to Sony Pictures right now and gather information with a SQL injection, it's...difficult to take LulzSec at face value. Especially when they've stated that their goal is to bring Sony down.
I never said that they have proof that they did a SQL injection. I said they had some proof.

And I was talking about their evidence that they did in fact hack them.
Well, noone is really denying that. (Besides that one guy who thinks Sony is hacking itself for some reason).

Clip (and myself) are referring to the truthfulness of the SQL injection statement, though. Not just that LulzSec hacked Sony.
Well like I said before. With the current information which seems to suggest that the hackers did in fact use that hack then yes Im somewhat blaming Sony for failing to protect their costumers data with basic protection. But if it turns up that Sony indeed had a very advanced system then I do not think there is any blame on Sony. No system is perfect and no system will ever be perfect (at least not with our current technology)
Bleh. Like I've mentioned, people on this very thread have detailed how to do a SQL injection. If you can go to Sony Pictures and use an SQL injection to gather information, I'll believe that Sony Pictures had shit security. If not, then I'll wait for the official statement from a security firm.
I would rather have an unbiased source then a company hired by Sony.
But that will probably never happen.

May I ask if you got any sources that would show that the hackers didnt use SQL injection?

Cause if you are arguin that Im wrong when you do not know the truth, kinda makes you wrong aswell cause you cannot know if Im right or wrong.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
I don't doubt that LulzSec did in fact hack Sony. But the exact methods they used (and the time it took them to do so) is up in the air. Unless you can go to Sony Pictures right now and gather information with a SQL injection, it's...difficult to take LulzSec at face value. Especially when they've stated that their goal is to bring Sony down.
I never said that they have proof that they did a SQL injection. I said they had some proof.

Well, noone is really denying that. (Besides that one guy who thinks Sony is hacking itself for some reason).

Clip (and myself) are referring to the truthfulness of the SQL injection statement, though. Not just that LulzSec hacked Sony.
Well like I said before. With the current information which seems to suggest that the hackers did in fact use that hack then yes Im somewhat blaming Sony for failing to protect their costumers data with basic protection. But if it turns up that Sony indeed had a very advanced system then I do not think there is any blame on Sony. No system is perfect and no system will ever be perfect (at least not with our current technology)
Bleh. Like I've mentioned, people on this very thread have detailed how to do a SQL injection. If you can go to Sony Pictures and use an SQL injection to gather information, I'll believe that Sony Pictures had shit security. If not, then I'll wait for the official statement from a security firm.

May I ask if you got any sources that would show that the hackers didnt use SQL injection?

Cause if you are arguin that Im wrong when you do not know the truth, kinda makes you wrong aswell cause you cannot know if Im right or wrong.
Can you argue that any amount of security would have stopped these attacks? that when a entire collective of People has made it there MISSION to take you down, that online security has any lasting effect?

last of all, your taking the word of ONLINE CRIMINALS. Your far beyond more wrong than i could ever be.
Meh I do not trust illegal corporations so buhu I guess?

And Yes pretty much all basic security would have stopped an SQL injection and if they did pass thru then I would argue that having everything important encrypted would have saved a lot of headache and money.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:

Can you argue that any amount of security would have stopped these attacks? that when a entire collective of People has made it there MISSION to take you down, that online security has any lasting effect?

last of all, your taking the word of ONLINE CRIMINALS. Your far beyond more wrong than i could ever be.
You're saying online criminals like people who commit crimes online are all terrible people, ever downloaded a song illegally before? Watched copyrighted movies online without consent by the companies themselves? If so I guess all my friends are criminals and 90% of the internet.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:

Maybe English isn't your first language.

I'm saying that nobody knows anything.

It's actually possible to prove or disprove LulzSec's assertion. Go to Sony Pictures and try an SQL injection. If it works, then LulzSec is right and Sony's security is shit. If it doesn't work, then LulzSec is trying to make Sony look far worse than it deserves.

Just because a company hires a firm doesn't mean that the firm is going to be biased for the company. If it comes out that they lied in order to make their customer look better, there would be a formal investigation and they'd lose all credibility. Firms are all about credibility. No credibility means that noone would hire you, aaaaand you'd go bankrupt. Which is why I said that I'd wait for a security firm's report and not Sony's.

Tubez said:
And Yes pretty much all basic security would have stopped an SQL injection and if they did pass thru then I would argue that having everything important encrypted would have saved a lot of headache and money.
Aaaaaand you're assuming that LulzSec is telling the truth without testing if a SQL injection would actually work...which you could actually do.

Doxcology said:
If so I guess all my friends are criminals and 90% of the internet.
Have a source to back that statistic up?

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Doxcology said:
Clipclop said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:

You're saying online criminals like people who commit crimes online are all terrible people, ever downloaded a song illegally before? Watched copyrighted material online? If so I guess all my friends are criminals and 90% of the internet.
Everybody on the Internet have seen copyrighted material.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Marudas said:
I really don't get this. "Sony's security is inept! Please pay us money so we can trash your privacy and tear down their walls to show how inept they are, rather than simply telling them and demanding better!"
No kidding. Come on lulzsec/lulzboat/lulzdouche you're going about this all wrong. If you're looking to us to finance you you're looking in the wrong place.

Here I'll give you a hint:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/
http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
http://www.arabbank.com/default.aspx

You want a real challange?

http://www.pbc.gov.cn/

Take your pick.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
With way things are going, if they keep this up for the whole year, I predict that by the start of next year Sony will be dead or in the final stages of company failure.

Who can could possibly stick by a company that has had plenty of time to counteract against the problem and defend itself, but they clearly aren't taking this thing seriously.

At the pace that Sony is trying to work out these problems, one would think that they have just one man trying to fix the whole thing, though my money is on that they hired a poo-flinging monkey.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
sleeky01 said:
You want a real challenge?

Take your pick.
Uuuuuh...http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2011/05/30/pbs-hacked-after-critical-wikileaks-show/

Sonic Doctor said:
At the pace that Sony is trying to work out these problems, one would think that they have just one man trying to fix the whole thing, though my money is on that they hired a poo-flinging monkey.
They hired at least three different security firms. Anything security-wise that goes wrong from here on out, I would blame on one or more of the firms.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Hah, this is hilarious. Sony will never have a credit card from me again, they ($ony corp) are quite obviously morons of pretty high order.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:

It's actually possible to prove or disprove LulzSec's assertion. Go to Sony Pictures and try an SQL injection. If it works, then LulzSec is right and Sony's security is shit. If it doesn't work, then LulzSec is trying to make Sony look far worse than it deserves.

Just because a company hires a firm doesn't mean that the firm is going to be biased for the company. If it comes out that they lied in order to make their customer look better, there would be a formal investigation and they'd lose all credibility. Firms are all about credibility. No credibility means that noone would hire you, aaaaand you'd go bankrupt. Which is why I said that I'd wait for a security firm's report and not Sony's.
I've posted before that english is in fact not my first language, I will not try to do an sql injection considering that is illegal and its late and I would have to read up on how to do it first.

Second part works great on papers but not in real life. I very much doubt that all security firms are honest. Cause you could argue the same thing about political figures & judges. Their credibility is all that should matter and yet a lot of them still takes bribes.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:
Kopikatsu said:
Tubez said:

Tubez said:
Aaaaaand you're assuming that LulzSec is telling the truth without testing if a SQL injection would actually work...which you could actually do.

Doxcology said:
If so I guess all my friends are criminals and 90% of the internet.
Have a source to back that statistic up?
I'm not trying to be accurate about my statistic just trying to say that a large portion of the internet does download music illegally and unknowingly commits crimes online because the laws are so murky regarding sharing content online. Thus saying that internet criminals are all untrustworthy is like saying everyone who downloaded the new Lady Gaga single on PirateBay is a criminal...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Clipclop said:
Sonic Doctor said:
With way things are going, if they keep this up for the whole year, I predict that by the start of next year Sony will be dead or in the final stages of company failure.

Who can could possibly stick by a company that has had plenty of time to counteract against the problem and defend itself, but they clearly aren't taking this thing seriously.

hahahaha no. They will just dump the ps3. If you think "sony" the company will go down if the ps3 goes down, you don't know anything about sony. There market reach is so huge i wonder why they even bother with consoles that just make them lose money. They probably made or "had something to do with" half the shit in your house.
Uuuuuh...Sony Music and Sony Pictures are what's been being hacked. The entire company is under attack, not just the gaming department.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
sleeky01 said:
You want a real challenge?

Take your pick.
Uuuuuh...http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2011/05/30/pbs-hacked-after-critical-wikileaks-show/
Oh for god sa...look at that link again would you?