Sony: Xbox One Policies Were A Surprise To Us

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Sony: Xbox One Policies Were A Surprise To Us

Sony wants to be the independent developer's new best friend.

"While others have shifted their message and changed their story," says Sony's Andrew House, "we were consistent in maintaining a message that is fair and in tune with consumer desires." When Microsoft announced that gamers would have to get used to new ways of purchasing and playing games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124711-Microsoft-Addresses-Xbox-One-Concerns] it took Sony by surprise, according to House. Sony claims not to be interested in "over analysing" what the competition is up to, but when the competition makes what seems such a colossal misstep, Sony's happy to benefit. Consistency, it says, is the goal; it doesn't see the need to deviate from current, accepted business strategies.

"We thought perhaps slightly naively that the current model worked quite well and was consumer friendly," says House. But all the omens seemed to indicate that Microsoft was about to head decisively in another direction, so it became necessary for Sony to step up and say what its intent was. The rest is E3 history [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7533-PS4-Doing-Nothing-Meaning-Everything]. House is very pleased to see Sony's strategy rewarded with over a million PS4 pre-orders. "Maybe it's just that the current lifecycle has been rather more prolonged than it has been previously," he says, "but there does seem to be this demand."

But Sony's not ignoring the future. It wants to capture independent developers, and feels it's on the right track. The consumer wants it all, so Sony wants it all too. "Our role should be to offer a creative palette that's equally as engaging to a team of seven people who are just emerging with their first console game," says House, "as it is to a team of many hundreds backed by a large publisher, working on the latest instalment of a high-end blockbuster." House thinks this is the Hollywood option, and suggests that this strategy is much like the film business remaining vibrant and relevant by producing not only high-end content, but also "quirky arthouse films." People enjoy both, they buy both, they demand both; therefore, says Sony, give them both, as often as possible.

House is looking forward to the next stage in the console war, and wants to see Sony's latest and the Xbox One go head to head on release. Both are due in November 2013, but Microsoft has yet to confirm an actual date. It would be very interesting to see how the the attachment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/7460-Xbox-One-Price-And-New-Games] few people seem in love with will fare against the PS4; we'll find out at Christmas.

Source: Guardian [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2013/aug/21/playstation4-gamescom-andrew-house-interview]

Marak Daga

Feb 1, 2012
Sony, its ok. You won our hearts, no need to cover you arse. Now give me a jpn release date! Hehe.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Karloff said:
...House is looking forward to the next stage in the console war...

OT: Yeah, Sony's quite far ahead in the race at the moment. I'm personally just watching from the sidelines, being primarily a PC gamer (though I do have a PS3, recent trade with a friend to play some exclusives and such), but I do like that Microsoft is getting their arses handed to them, they really have it coming with all the cartoon villainy they've been pulling.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I find this scene from Joe Dirt to be a pretty good metaphor for the Microsoft-Gamer relationship, in particular the very last line of the clip:

Indeed, "Well that might be your problem. It's not what you like, it's the consumer." Just seems that everything MS is doing is based off of stuff that they find appealing, completely disregarding the wants of the consumer. Considering the fact that they've pulled back on pretty much everything (the last bugaboo being their refusal to uncouple the Kinect as a bundled item, thus driving up the price of their console) this is more fitting to how the XBone was when first announce. Still, I think the comparison fits.

Dante dynamite

Mar 19, 2012
Wait didn't Sony say they decided their polices because of Microsoft now they are trying to spin it that they always knew best it would be better if they spent less time taking pot shots at Microsoft and tell us more about the console.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125411-Shuhei-Yoshida-Xbox-One-Negativity-Made-Sonys-Decision-Easy

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
Y'know, it's been a serious cliche that big companies never learn from their mistakes. But I do believe Sony has learned big-time after the reaming they received when the PS3 first came out.

They've made a lot of mis-steps in the past five years or so, but they've learned. By God, they've learned.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Whenever I read or hear about Andrew House all I can think of is the VideoGamer.com line "Who's in the house? Andrew House!"

I want to work on a Playstation indie project so bad, and thankfully that might be a possibility one day with how eager Sony are to get indies on the platform. Our University is currently in talks to get PS4 dev kits through the Playstation First program, and I'd love to be able to work on a PS4 for an assignment.

EDIT: Just remembered that I'll be doing a PSP project this year, WOO! :D

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
"We'll find out at Christmas"

Nah, we'll find out a year or two after launch. The Wii U was selling very well all the way through Christmas and even a couple months after that. Plus the Xbox One has Halo, Forza, and Titanfall. Each one will sell a million Xbones alone.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Having recently had terrible experience with Sony's customer support (which amounted to "we've screwed you and even though it would be easy for us to sort it out, we won't"), I'm not persuaded by the show they give when the cameras are on them. I was thinking about the PS4 but I'm not now. On the other hand, when my xbox had it's red ring of death, microsoft took care of it long after the warranty was up and I didn't pay a penny. I don't know if I'm going to get an xbone or stick to PC games, but I won't touch the Playstation.

OCAdam

Oct 13, 2010
rasputin0009 said:
"We'll find out at Christmas"

Nah, we'll find out a year or two after launch. The Wii U was selling very well all the way through Christmas and even a couple months after that. Plus the Xbox One has Halo, Forza, and Titanfall. Each one will sell a million Xbones alone.
But none of those three make for enough to get me to want that backwards console. Considering I used to absolutely love the Forza franchise (owning all 5 current Forza games, though honestly I wished I'd skipped on Horizon), that's still at least saying something that I was that dissuaded by the console itself that no matter the games, even my favorite game franchise, I don't want one. But I'm just one person, and based on what I read on a Forza league forum that I'm part of, they're still mostly looking towards it. Still, from zero comes one, one becomes two, two becomes one hundred.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
The Xbox 1's policies were a surprise to me as well. Even if they uncouple the Kinect from the console, I'm still switching to the PS4, since the PS+ and all their free games is a better deal than Xbox Live.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
"Consistency, it says, is the goal; it doesn't see the need to deviate from current, accepted business strategies."
This is a very Japanese way of thinking... but as Microsoft has shown, probably a smarter way of thinking also. Innovation should be about giving the customer something better than before, not about controlling the customer. Clearly, Sony grasps this.

P.S. Thanks

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Was it the shocked they did that kinda surprise

or the gift wrapped with a little bow you find under the tree at christmas kinda surprise?

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
AkaDad said:
The Xbox 1's policies were a surprise to me as well. Even if they uncouple the Kinect from the console, I'm still switching to the PS4, since the PS+ and all their free games is a better deal than Xbox Live.
Same here. Back when everything was still rumors, I honestly didn't think Microsoft would be so stupid. In fact, I probably have a few posts on this site saying the rumors were ridiculous and illogical. I shocked when they were completely serious about the 24 online drm

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Everyone here is missing what the article is really about. Indie devs. And I think Xbox has a leg-up on the PS being that all Xbox One's can be used as a dev kit. I don't know if the PS4 is doing the same but that's hard to ignore if they aren't.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I find their pandering to be on the level of politicians. Of course you'd say consistency is everything when you don't have to change your stance, but in the position where you do, you'd change your tune rather quickly and downplay the relevance by focusing on the change...

it also doesn't hurt that they just happen to have the people left over from Microsoft scorn, and the other triple aaaaaaaaas who didn't have contracts fleeing from Microsoft because of that scorn, and everybody refusing to understand how circular logic is faulty and instead opt to avoid the Wii U, so they can make those claims too that they are catering to the market, when they are just benefiting from circumstance

I'd sooner trust a chimpanzee with a gun than a bunch of marketers, but I'll let the product speak for itself, thank you