Sony's NGP Lineup: Uncharted, WipEout, Meh

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Meh? Meh?!

We get a freaking prologue to the WipEout series, get to see the birth of the AG racing league, and the response is meh?!

Seriously that just sealed an already high likelihood of purchase; I always wanted to see the start of that story. .. Wonder why the.. dunno.. this post feels a bit iffy. Objectivity lacking or.. meh.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
"Wonderful" launch lineup this is not. The only noteworthy game is the Uncharted one, and that isn't being made by Naughty Dog so whether or not it'll be good is a toss-up.

Also that's some specific wording there when you say that plot offers hints at what the events will be in the third Uncharted. Does that mean it will come out before then? Or close after?

One more thing. While those are certainly good graphics, I thought we were being promised GREAT graphics. I could have sworn I heard something before about current gen level graphics.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
mireko said:
[sub]Wipeout was always better than F-Zero. I'm sorry, them's the facts.[/sub]
No, you don't say it like that, you say it like this:

Wipeout was always better than F-Zero, I'm sorry, them's the facts.

Seriously, PS3 owners should feel cheated that so far they've got only one WipeOut title - and even that was basically an HD port. There's simply no other racing game that can match WipeOut's sense of speed and aesthetics. And this is coming from a PC gamer who can only play newer WipeOut titles on his friend's PS3.

Though frankly not sold on the NY setting - not futuristic 'nuff.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
mireko said:
No, you don't say it like that, you say it like this:

Wipeout was always better than F-Zero, I'm sorry, them's the facts.

Seriously, PS3 owners should feel cheated that so far they've got only one WipeOut title - and even that was basically an HD port. There's simply no other racing game that can match WipeOut's sense of speed and aesthetics. And this is coming from a PC gamer who can only play newer WipeOut titles on his friend's PS3.

Though frankly not sold on the NY setting - not futuristic 'nuff.
Who cares about where it's set? These are hoverships flying at stupid speeds, we're too busy trying not to die by flying off of the edge of the track or ramming into a wall at the speed of sound.

I swear to god Sony, if you don't keep Eliminator mode with the quick-turn introduced in WipeOut HD I'll be very annoyed.

Also yay for Uncharted I guess, more excited at the LBP coming out for it and the possibility of a better Ratchet & Clank handheld game.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot, keep the idea of the Fury ships and the new Zone modes introduced in Fury as well. Oh, and also:-

FEISAR FOREVER!

That will be all

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
Translate Monster Hunter P3 Capcom - that'll MAKE me buy one instead of me WANTING to buy one. Come on Sony - poke them with a sharp stick, pay them to do it if you have to, I don't care. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
mireko said:
How? Because it looks prettier? Or is it the more generic car and track design that makes them so it's more "realistic"?

Polyg0n

Jul 16, 2009
Yay, looks nice, but not enough to make it a day one buy. I'll wait until it's price drops in half or less before buying it.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I'm probably going to buy this one. I did like the PSP more than the DS. That said, I'm feeling like I'd probably be reluctant to ever hook it up to the internet in case all my personal information got stolen.

Smerf

May 4, 2011
vita is such a better name. and im really not that into handhelds, so Not Gonna Pay it any attention.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I saw "Super Stardust" and immediately let out a joyous "WOOHOO!" No really, I actually did. The twinstick aspect of the NGP was literally the one thing that interested me the most, because I wanted a portable twinstick shooter-seriously, it's long overdue. Good to know said portable twinstick shooter will be available on day one.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
My PSP and iPhone are actually getting more action than my 360 lately.. I intended on starting over my Fable 3 character, finishing NFS: Hot Pursuit DLC, more Halo: Reach.. But nope! My iPhone has RPGs like Final Fantasy I, II & III, Chaos Rings, Infinity Blade and Secret of Mana. My PSP has 3rd Birthday, Final Fantasy IV, VI, VII, VIII & IX, Dissidia 012, Crisis Core: FFVII and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.

I think I'm primarily a handheld gamer now.

I don't own a PS3, therefore have never played any Uncharted games. If Golden Abyss is a prequel, sweet. I'll most likely try it out. But this is just first-party launch titles. Not third-party. I'm waiting for what Square Enix, Bungie (now that they're free from Microsoft), Epic, etc have up their sleeves..

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Anyone else see NGP and get N-Gage flashbacks?

Honestly, does the PSP need replacing?

I know Nintendo feel the need to bring out new handhelds with the regularity of magazine partworks with a free piece of plastic crap on the front cover, but I recently got given a PSP, and I'm quite happy with it, I admit the controls aren't ideal, but that's all I can see needs changing.

Also, has anyone actually seen anyone playing a PSP outside?

I'm kind of sceptical about how much use the whole handheld thing has, I wouldn't feel comfortable holding a couple of hundred quids worth of tech out in public, with a 'mug me for free money' aura radiating from me, it's why I bought new headphones for my mp3 player when I found it came with white headphones.

IF you're not playing it outside, why not just get a 360 or PS3? I know there's some good reasons, but I'm surprised that there's still enough popularity to keep two platforms afloat.

Tho of course, Nintendo managed to sell a DS to everyone in the world with the whole 'Brain Training' thing, kudos to them.

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
yanipheonu said:
Ok, I'm going to paraphrase from the Joystiq podcast while adding my own stuff.

That looks amazing. Don't get me wrong, that's pretty cool. Not a big Sony guy so I'll be waiting on this, but I'll probably pick one up one day.
But I'm going to put my critic glasses now.

So, you made a portable PS3. I'm glad you did that. WHY DID YOU DO THAT? Did we learn nothing?

My worry is dev costs. We now have to pay costs much closer to console games than before, and only so many companies will do that. So we'll have some lookers for sure, but expensive ones, and many devs may cheap out on graphics and gameplay to justify being on a portable rather than a console.

And what about PSP devs? Not all of them will be able to make HD graphics. They may well move over to the 3DS or even iOS just to stay relevant and keep costs down.

There's a reason the 3DS is not as powerful, it's easier and cheaper to dev for. That's the reason the DS was so weak and had such a huge lineup.

That said, of course, the PSP did eventually come into it's own, rather impressively I may add. And Sony can do things to make development easier and cheaper, been hearing some rumors to that affect, so if they can pull that off, they might jsut have a winner. Til then, I'll be waiting on E3
How about instead of assuming you try looking up these things? Like how the devs are saying its easy to get great graphics out of the NGP, and consequentially cheap too?
Because when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is (lest we forget the Emotion Engine). I'm withholding judgment until Sony shows me what they have and voicing my concerns in the meantime.

L1gh7Sp33d

Apr 15, 2009
The dedicated handheld market is very obviously losing steam nowadays with the expanding smartphone market leeching many of its sales. Although that Uncharted title looks impressive, it doesn't look like Sony has a killer app to launch the NGP.

Recently, the 3DS failed to meet launch expectations due in large part to piss poor launch titles (the japanese earthquake notwithstanding). It seems as if Sony may be making a similar mistake.