soo...Tablets..

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
[img/]http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/27000000/moses-with-the-ten-commandments-the-bible-27076062-500-341.png[/img]

[img/]http://cdn.scottishgourmetusa.com/images/products/PC7TB.jpg[/img]

I know shamefully little about Tablets,and so would like those more versed in the Area to help me

I'm thinking about getting one, mainly as a portable way to access the usual stuff (internet, music, photos) while not at my desktop

because I've set myself up a separate work desk for drawing and think handy access to images (my own and the internet) for reference would be useful as opposed to printing that stuff out (and I could watch bobs burgers too!), that's why I'm interested in Samsung's one with the bigger screen

I'm also interest in the prospect of emulation, a bigger screen with a Bluetooth controller (what are they like?) might be a good option

I know Microsoft has their range with full windows 8 which would have a lot more capabilities HOWEVER I am not interested in spending as much on a tablet as I did on my desktop

I think, google play, internet, spotify, acess to my own photos/videos (which I assume I could put on via USB?) would suffice for my needs...so yeah

I'm also pretty unfamiliar with Android in general

sooo

[b/]what are some good non apple tablets?[/b]

[b/]whats your experience/opinion of tablets in general?[/b]

[b/]what if anything, should I avoid?[/b]

thanks!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
My opinion of tablets in general? Good for watching comics and reading movies. (Or is it the other way around?)

My advice is to avoid very old stuff, which will be too old soon, and very new stuff, which is needlessly fancy. Last year's model, that's my recommendation.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Queen Michael said:
My opinion of tablets in general? Good for watching comics and reading movies. (Or is it the other way around?)
and surfing apps...and apping nets.. 0_0

[quote/]My advice is to avoid very old stuff, which will be too old soon, and very new stuff, which is needlessly fancy. Last year's model, that's my recommendation.[/quote]
I see....not sure I like the shelf life being that low but ehhh

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Gundam GP01 said:
I was hoping this would be a thread about drawing tablets like these.

I was sorely disappointed.
we can talk about those!

I have I think an intuos pro something....they don't have the bamboo line anymore, I did that that one with the light green detailing

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I have an 8 inch Note 3 and I really like it. Its fast, light, great for watching movies (using a stand) and the right size for reading books and comics. So either the 8 or 9 inch is something I would recommend. I found the 10 inch to be very unwieldy and their 7 inch is a budget tablet and it shows. It is far less responsive and just slow all around.

Itdoesthatsometimes

Aug 6, 2012
I like my surface pro 3 I have not turned my desktop on since getting it. And I love my Desktop.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-slashes-100-off-surface-pro-3-tablet-price-for-limited-time/

Edit: So this looks less like an advertisement. Does anyone know how I can get my surface pro 3 to interact with my desktop as a drawing tablet?

Wireless if possible.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Perfect picture to open a thread. I don't always compute with a tablet, but, when I do, I use a single slab carved by God Himself.

I can't really recommend a particular tablet, as I have never owned one myself, but I can say you already on the right track. The Surface Pros are really good, but cost far too much for something that can't be upgraded. Apple can take their walled ecosystem shove it. A cheaper Android tablet is the way to go.

I do know you can used PS controllers with Android. I forgot what the software was called (Sixaxis Controller?), but it does require a PC to read the bluetooth address of the controller and rooting of the tablet to work. A new version might even let you pair with an OTG (on the go) USB cable. It's a great way to save money if you have a spare PS3 controller lying around (or do not mind the archaic pairing method to go back to the phone after repairing to the PS3). I used it for my old phone when I milled a giant HDPE and acrylic mount to hold the phone and controller together. (Just as a crazy proof of concept and attention getter.)

Itdoesthatsometimes said:
I like my surface pro 3 I have not turned my desktop on since getting it. And I love my Desktop.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-slashes-100-off-surface-pro-3-tablet-price-for-limited-time/

Edit: So this looks less like an advertisement. Does anyone know how I can get my surface pro 3 to interact with my desktop as a drawing tablet?

Wireless if possible.
Have you tried remote desktop software that supports multi-touchscreens? I have no idea if any exists or how well your idea would work, but you can try searching for something like that. It might even be built into some versions of Win 8. MS should really market your idea, since it means a Surface Pro has even more use to the creative crowd.

Monk5127

All Hail Space Duck
Sep 6, 2014
Something to note with Tablets is that they suffer the same neglect from their manufacturers that phones experience. Unless you're using this years model then don't expect (official) firmware updates.

Itdoesthatsometimes

Aug 6, 2012
Hairless Mammoth said:
Itdoesthatsometimes said:

Wireless if possible.
Have you tried remote desktop software that supports multi-touchscreens? I have no idea if any exists or how well your idea would work, but you can try searching for something like that. It might even be built into some versions of Win 8. MS should really market your idea, since it means a Surface Pro has even more use to the creative crowd.
Yeah, it seems all you would need is a remote access to the tablet screen. Not that I could program that, but it seems doable, I think. An app that does it or maybe some hardware. Someone should do it and make money off of it, it seemed like one of those obvious things, I figured someone had done it already

Edit: Oh I have been thinking about it backwards. I could just remote access my desktop from my surface. Still an app designed purely for the function of using it as a art peripheral would make it all the more handy.

Although the remote access still might not solve my needs. Of low graphic intensity on my surface w/o a dedicated app limiting what is actually shown on the tablet.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Tablets are for the most part over hyped toys. The surface ones are actual laptops just in a weird config, hence the huge price.

mostly they are fine for internet and a bit of video watching but be warned they can be severely limited in what will work. though this is mostly from supporting my brother on his ipad

Toejam

Mar 21, 2014
I got my daughter a HUDL 2 from Tesco, we got a very good deal and got it for £85 but I think the normal price is around £120 - £130.

For general use it's been very impressive, haven't come across anything that hasn't worked, battery life is good, decent screen size which is very responsive. It's a good value basic Ipad.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/tablets/3575158/tesco-hudl-2-tablet-review/

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I have a bamboo! I have no idea how to use it because I'm not an artist! :3 Well, I mean, I can use it, bring the pen to the surface and draw and all that, and I can make a pretty sweet stick-man in GIMP, but that's all I got going for me.

As for the other kind of tablet, a lot of them, are almost the same. For the amount of work a tablet does, the specs, from what I've seen, are almost a non-issue. You're buying a computer. It's just got a different operating system, and is meant to be stand alone. Your biggest concerns should be the following...

Screen Size, brightness.
Battery Life
Audio quality

I've been talking to a few people, and some of my friends recommend the Google Nexus. It's about 7 inches large, from what I understand. Samsung also has some fairly good ones too. I'm old, so to me, a computer isn't a computer without a keyboard. But you already mentioned you're not big on MS's surface, so I'll stop that line of thought right there.

Looking at Toejam's post, a website to me said that the HUDL 2 from Tesco was one of the best, but most of my techie friends never heard of it. I'm thinking it might be a pretty good option to watch for as well.

Happy hunting, Vault!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'm not very big on tablets. Or rather, they're awesome, but I know I'd never really use it. For reading I have an e-reader, as that's a bazillion times easier on the eyes, comics I want on paper, movies I watch on my TV and for things like quick news updates and Spotify I have my smartphone.

Of course, I can't resist their awesome-factor. Because come on, it's a freakin' Star Trek device, but even more advanced. Yet we use the bloody things to watch viral videos and cat pictures on. Way to go society. But really, they're cool, it's just that one in my hands would be absolutely superfluous.
Vault101 said:
I see....not sure I like the shelf life being that low but ehhh
Welcome to the world of computing. In the end it depends on what you want to use your tablet for. If you want to do a lot of gaming and fancy apps, prepare for a quickly aging device.

But for your average news surfing, maybe read a manga or some shit and the stuff you listed a recent budget model will last you long enough. Go look for one in shops though, as tablets are very tactile devices, somehow way more than smartphones are, so I'd go visit shops in your area (try to avoid big chains though, for price gouging) and try a few out. What kind of screen size would be comfortable in your hands, the responsiveness, quality of the screen, that sort of thing is best experienced in person.

As for Android, eh, there's little to be accustomed to. It all sorta works the same anyway; you swipe your screen in certain directions to do things and push buttons. The basic operating procedures of any mobile OS are basically the same.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Currently posting this from a Lenovo Miix 2 which is supremely useful. Runs full windows, meaning that it can run most windows programs that aren't too demanding, but isn't as expensive as the surface, furthermore i comes with a detachable keyboard allowing you to easily browse and type.
I mainly use mine for taking notes during university, but it is also useful for streaming movies(mini-hdmi allows connection to televisions), reading comics, listening to music (sound quality could be better i guess), and reading e-books (largely the same format as a real book).

I'd definitely buy the Miix 2 again.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
My first suggestion (that probably goes without saying, but it's better to speak and be thought a fool than stay silent and remove all doubt; if I state the obvious, please don't take it as condescension) would be to do your research and shop around. There's a plethora of options out there, and it's easy to be taken in if you're not sure what's available. Knowing exactly what make and model you're looking for can do a lot to reassure you when you find yourself thinking "I'm spending hundreds of dollars on a machine, and I'm buying from a store that doesn't know the difference between memory and a hard drive". My familiarity with the devices isn't what it could be (a dedicated tablet forum is likely your best bet; I highly recommend checking one out and asking more detailed questions there), so I can't give too many specifics, but I'll tell you what I can. Three questions:

The first question is: what do you want it to do? "The usual stuff" doesn't tell us much if we don't know your habits. If all you're looking for is some light web browsing, you can probably get away with a less powerful (and, usually, less expensive) machine than if you're looking for one for heavier work. But it's not just about the hard stuff, there're also issues of size and thus portability; a tiny one may fit your pocket, a big one won't (unless your pockets are truly impressive). Also, the same nonsense about sizing screens based on the diagonal, blatantly misleading in the 4:3 era and essentially meaningless now, are still in force; consider yourself warned, and always ask for the dimensions.

Secondly, what's your budget? This is part and parcel with what you want it to do; the more expensive, the more powerful is a general rule; sometimes you get lucky, though (or get hosed; I meant it when I said shop around). This, too, is not just about power; a recognized brand is going to command more money than one no one's ever heard of. Still, that $90 el Cheapo model may not do much, but if what it does is all you need, don't neglect the option for lack of prestige.

The third big concern is: which platform? The vast majority of what you're going to see available is going to be on one of the big three: Microsoft, Apple, or Google. We all have our preferences, and while there's nothing inherently wrong with that, each of the options gives you access to certain third-party program libraries the others don't. Take it into consideration when making your choice. Good hunting!

Oh, and for what it's worth, I've got an ASUS Transformer T100. Functionally a hybrid tablet/laptop, it runs full Windows 8.1 on a 9"X5" screen, has a detachable keyboard and about eleven hours of battery life on a full charge. A fantastic little machine, and it only cost about $300; they're probably cheaper now.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
[sub][sub][sub]I like my IPad. :([/sub][/sub][/sub]

I've posted this before but I actually haven't had a PC/laptop for about two or three years, I just use my tablet and I love it. I've had my iPad 2 for just over three years now and it's perfect, I've never had any trouble with it and it does everything I want it to do.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
BeerTent said:
I've been talking to a few people, and some of my friends recommend the Google Nexus. It's about 7 inches large, from what I understand. Samsung also has some fairly good ones too. I'm old, so to me, a computer isn't a computer without a keyboard. But you already mentioned you're not big on MS's surface, so I'll stop that line of thought right there.
I wouldn't mind a keyboard attatchment its just that for what I'm willing to spend I don't need/want a tablet with laptop capabilities
Colour Scientist said:
I've posted this before but I actually haven't had a PC/laptop for about two or three years, I just use my tablet and I love it. I've had my iPad 2 for just over three years now and it's perfect, I've never had any trouble with it and it does everything I want it to do.
I did end up getting one, its good enough but I can't see it replacing my computer, I know it isn't a Microsoft one but doing pretty much everything on it doesn't quite have the same efficiency as my desktop

aside from comics and the potential of emulation its really a slightly slower portable access to all my shit

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Gundam GP01 said:
I was hoping this would be a thread about drawing tablets like [http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/c26-B0089VGPII-1-l.jpg] these [http://images2.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/68141.jpg].

I was sorely disappointed.
You did a good job linking Monoprice there. Dollar for dollar, Monoprice is easily among the highest quality tablets you can get for the price. Same for their headphones.

Vault101 said:
What are some good non-Apple tablets? What's your experience/opinion of tablets in general? What if anything, should I avoid?
Personally, I have a little Asus Transformer Book that works out very well for my needs. It runs a full version of Win 8.1 (rather than the App-only Windows RT version), and while it doesn't necessarily have a great deal of processing power, it's enough to be able to watch Netflix, use as an emulator machine, play the odd Steam game like KotOR or 100% Orange Juice, and is light enough to carry to and from class as well as my pen-and-paper nights. The detachable keyboard also comes with the cost, and can include an additional hard drive for more storage.

In my experience, it's the best value for money on the tablet market, since it can run the PC-powered emulators and games (as long as they aren't too processor intensive), and also have the ability to use things like the Microsoft Office suite, Steam, Skype, and such programs. Depending on your hard drive requirements, you can get one as low as $290 [http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Transformer-Detachable-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00OBQ59UK] or so.

If you want something with a little more under-the-hood horsepower than an i3, Microsoft Surface 2 Pro would probably be the best power-to-cost ratio, running about $600 without the keyboard [http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-Processor-Refurbished/dp/B00QQTDLG4]. Keyboard will likely add an extra $100, depending on where you can find it. However, given that this one comes with a stylus (rather than a capacitive touchscreen), it probably has more utility for art programs, even the more intensive 3D modeling or video editing programs.

Really, though, for most purposes, any tablet will be feature-filled enough. Galaxy Tabs, iPads, Surface, et al, will all do just about anything you need a portable machine to. Personally, I like having as many options open as possible, and at ~$300 price point, the ASUS does everything I need a machine like that to do and a bit more.

Hopefully this has helped.