soo...Tablets..

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
I have a soft spot for the Samsung Galaxy series of tablets. I've owned two, including the newest model, and loved them both :D

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Keep in mind most phones run Android. If you have an android phone its much the same, tablets usually just pack a bit more processing power. Samsung have the best screens by far. So aim at one of those models if you don't want to be throwing it at the wall in a month, oh and get screen protection film, you will scratch it without it. The only other real consideration is battery power. Will it last through your day or will you be hooked up to a charger through most of it.

Games are a different animal on tablets. All the controllers don't work very well. So you just end up playing different kinds of games that lend themselves well to touch screen. Oh and if you need GPS capability find a model with it. Most of the other toys like altimeters and such are overkill toys.

Also don't expect quite the variety in software that you'd find on a desktop/laptop. Android is still a fairly new OS.

Considering some of the prices and screen sizes. It might not be a far stretch just to get a larger android phone. Then you can use it as a phone as well.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
If you're just looking for internet and watching shows and streaming, I would recommend the Nexus 7 (second generation(2013), the 2012 model has a lot of problems. They run pretty cheap (around $200 new) and are because they are in the Nexus line, they will get the fastest software updates and be supported for a long time. The only downsides are the screen size, as you mentioned wanting to get a larger tablet, and the fact that it is about 1.5 years old.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Just find yourself a tablet that came out in the past 2 years with a quad core 2ghz or better processor and 2+gb of ram. As long as you stay with an android tablet with those specs, you should be fine.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I came here think this would be about drugs...

I don't know anything about current tablets sorry.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I quite like my nexus 7, and the Shield Tablets from nvidia are beefy for the price.

Tbh just read up reviews on things you like the look of and see if you can get any accesories you may want/need.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
>what are some good non apple tablets?
I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro. $410 for a refurb 11" Core i5 on NewEgg. Downside is it has a fan and is very heavy.
I also have the 2012 Nexus. It is currently loan to my ma because my Galaxy Note does 95% of what the Nexus can do.

>whats your experience/opinion of tablets in general?
It's basically worthless if:
- Your phone has about the same power as the tablet.
- It's running the same OS as your phone.

>what if anything, should I avoid?
-going too cheap. 1GB / 32GB on Windows is a bad idea.
-going too expensive. You do not need a $500 tablet that does what your phone can already do.

As a general rule, if it cost > $500 or bigger than 9", I expect the desktop version of Windows to be running on it, otherwise it will suffer the same fate as my Nexus.

False Messiah

Afflicted with DDDS
Jan 29, 2009
Recusant said:
Oh, and for what it's worth, I've got an ASUS Transformer T100. Functionally a hybrid tablet/laptop, it runs full Windows 8.1 on a 9"X5" screen, has a detachable keyboard and about eleven hours of battery life on a full charge. A fantastic little machine, and it only cost about $300; they're probably cheaper now.
I can recommend the T100 too. Fast enough to run the newest office programs, and maybe play a few indie games (having a blast playing Factorio on it).

I only think that the ssd is too small and the micro-sd is to slow to do anything but file storage. Still waiting for a keyboard with an extra ssd like they had for the Android Transformer.