Sooo batman ...

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
I like Batman for 2 reasons: The absolute best Rogue's Gallery (Scarecrow anyone?), and psychological overtones on both Batman and a lot of the villains. Especially in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City: Pretty much everyone is criminally insane and the makers aknowledge that and use it to their advantage.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
CrashBang said:
omega 616 said:
CrashBang said:
omega 616 said:
Instead of a billionaire who got that batarang thing right first time, it flew like a bad paper plane or his grappling hook snapped mid ascent making him fall on his ass, maybe a smoke bomb failed and made him look silly as he tried to escape.

A guy who is perfect getting everything right and sounding like a smug douche all the time is boring.
Again, that does happen. In Batman: Year One by Frank Miller he goes up against some common thugs and almost gets himself killed. It's a great story that shows his mistakes and how quick he is to learn from them.
Also the film you describes, with Freeze and Ivy, is Batman & Robin, which is one of the worst films of all time. I'm so sorry you had to see that.
Batman also puts his billionaire status to good use, being a philanthropist.
I have seen another batfilm where he was in a temple training or something but while the film was legit (as far as I was told, although thinking back...) it was just dark as fuck and I couldn't tell what was going on, so I stopped watching but it never really hooked me.

Batman and robin didn't seem THAT bad to me, kind of liked bane in it.

I think batman has the best baddies my fav being in my badges (scarecrow is second due to his name) but the actual hero sucks to me, just a douche with cash.
Bane was terrible in that film, just god-fucking-awful. Bane is a genius, in the Knightfal storyline he releases all of the inmates of Arkham to go after Bats at once in order to wear him down and then succeeds in breaking his back. It's brilliant. In the film he's some mindless, speechless goon.
The film with the temple sounds like Batman Begins and that film is brilliant, that training scene is my favourite part.

I can see your point, Yahtzee says in his AA review that Batman is always the most boring part of whatever he's in and that is true in a way; Batman is defined by the city, the cops, the villains, the crooks etc.
At the same time, his personal struggles with Catwoman, Talia Al Ghul, his past, his loneliness and his inability to trust all make him relatable, to an extent, and that's another thing that makes him rule. He's human.
I meant I liked the look of Bane, can't exactly like his personality ... he didn't have one. I read before Bane was meant to be just as smart if not smarter than batman, he is also obviously stronger, so why can't he take out the bat? It doesn't make any sense.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Quite simple really-
He is far more relatable compare to the other superheroes since he got no superpowers. I mean we can't fly, run at super speed etc so whatever action Batman he takes or when he get injure we can somewhat understand what he's going through. In another word we like superhero who is more of a mortal than a superhero who is a god (any superpowers heroes will make them a god in people eyes).
While he is more relatable that would mean we can be just like Batman? Well not exactly. While he got no superpowers but he does got one thing that is above any superpowers, he sheer will and determination. I mean he spend several years in absolute training physical and mentally over his trauma of his parent death. Any other people in that scenario would either gone to a mental ward, revenge (but in a small way) or simple cope with it and move it.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
omega 616 said:
CrashBang said:
omega 616 said:
CrashBang said:
omega 616 said:
Instead of a billionaire who got that batarang thing right first time, it flew like a bad paper plane or his grappling hook snapped mid ascent making him fall on his ass, maybe a smoke bomb failed and made him look silly as he tried to escape.

A guy who is perfect getting everything right and sounding like a smug douche all the time is boring.
Again, that does happen. In Batman: Year One by Frank Miller he goes up against some common thugs and almost gets himself killed. It's a great story that shows his mistakes and how quick he is to learn from them.
Also the film you describes, with Freeze and Ivy, is Batman & Robin, which is one of the worst films of all time. I'm so sorry you had to see that.
Batman also puts his billionaire status to good use, being a philanthropist.
I have seen another batfilm where he was in a temple training or something but while the film was legit (as far as I was told, although thinking back...) it was just dark as fuck and I couldn't tell what was going on, so I stopped watching but it never really hooked me.

Batman and robin didn't seem THAT bad to me, kind of liked bane in it.

I think batman has the best baddies my fav being in my badges (scarecrow is second due to his name) but the actual hero sucks to me, just a douche with cash.
Bane was terrible in that film, just god-fucking-awful. Bane is a genius, in the Knightfal storyline he releases all of the inmates of Arkham to go after Bats at once in order to wear him down and then succeeds in breaking his back. It's brilliant. In the film he's some mindless, speechless goon.
The film with the temple sounds like Batman Begins and that film is brilliant, that training scene is my favourite part.

I can see your point, Yahtzee says in his AA review that Batman is always the most boring part of whatever he's in and that is true in a way; Batman is defined by the city, the cops, the villains, the crooks etc.
At the same time, his personal struggles with Catwoman, Talia Al Ghul, his past, his loneliness and his inability to trust all make him relatable, to an extent, and that's another thing that makes him rule. He's human.
I meant I liked the look of Bane, can't exactly like his personality ... he didn't have one. I read before Bane was meant to be just as smart if not smarter than batman, he is also obviously stronger, so why can't he take out the bat? It doesn't make any sense.
Bane isn't smarter than Batman. He's a genius but he's not on par with Bats. He manages to wear him down over a few weeks and deliver the finishing blow but Batman then gets replaced by Jean Paul Valley who then... look, just read the book. I have no idea why I'm trying so hard to sell you on Batman. If you wanted to know more, you'd check out some of the films or comics. If you don't like Batman then fine, fair enough.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
omega 616 said:
StBishop said:
He's possible.

That's it. I could be batman. I could never be an alien from Krypton.

It's like Harry Potter, he thought he was just a normal kid and then BAM! Wizard. If Harry had always known he was a wizard the entire series would have been different and not as good.

The same applies to batman, if he wasn't just a human who has no magic or powers of any kind he wouldn't be as good.

I mean sure, we can't all be that rich, and we can't all be a genius; but we can try.
Except, you couldn't.

Ignoring the actual super powered villains, there is no way you could perfectly throw his weapons or fight your way past 50 lackies etc

tthor said:
if you shoot him, he will die.
So, you have all these super villains all trying these crazy ass plots when they could just blast him away? Sounds like a pretty serious flaw in batman universe to be honest...
If you shoot a soldier they may die, same applies to Batman. He's not bullet proof, but he's probably wearing kevlar or better bullet protection.

I could beat up 50 lackeys. It's unlikely, and I don't have the skills now, but as a child (which is when it matters) I knew that it was physically possible to be batman. As an adult I have other priorities, but I can still learn to fight 50 guys. It'd just be really hard.

Skalman

Jul 29, 2008
StBishop said:
omega 616 said:
StBishop said:
He's possible.

It's like Harry Potter, he thought he was just a normal kid and then BAM! Wizard. If Harry had always known he was a wizard the entire series would have been different and not as good.

The same applies to batman, if he wasn't just a human who has no magic or powers of any kind he wouldn't be as good.

I mean sure, we can't all be that rich, and we can't all be a genius; but we can try.
Except, you couldn't.

Ignoring the actual super powered villains, there is no way you could perfectly throw his weapons or fight your way past 50 lackies etc

tthor said:
So, you have all these super villains all trying these crazy ass plots when they could just blast him away? Sounds like a pretty serious flaw in batman universe to be honest...
If you shoot a soldier they may die, same applies to Batman. He's not bullet proof, but he's probably wearing kevlar or better bullet protection.

I could beat up 50 lackeys. It's unlikely, and I don't have the skills now, but as a child (which is when it matters) I knew that it was physically possible to be batman. As an adult I have other priorities, but I can still learn to fight 50 guys. It'd just be really hard.
We can all dream, right?

Just to clarify. Fighting against multiple opponents gets exponentially harder the more people you fight at the same time. No person in the history of ever have been able to take out 50 guys alone. It's simply not possible.

Not to mentioned the goons that batman fight are more than often armed.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
StBishop said:
Maybe in comic/film land where people wait there turn to attack you, unless you are fully prepared to attack more than one. In real life they would just zerg you and pummel you, even 10 beer swilling bar brawlers with no real skill would take out a single professional fighter

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Skalman said:
StBishop said:
omega 616 said:
StBishop said:
He's possible.

Except, you couldn't.

tthor said:

We can all dream, right?

Just to clarify. Fighting against multiple opponents gets exponentially harder the more people you fight at the same time. No person in the history of ever have been able to take out 50 guys alone. It's simply not possible.

Not to mentioned the goons that batman fight are more than often armed.
To my knowledge batman has never taken on 50 men simultaneously in a fair (toe to toe) fight.

I would guess he's taken on at most 20 in a toe to toe fight simultaneously. Even then I'm sure he used gadgets.

omega 616 said:
StBishop said:
Maybe in comic/film land where people wait there turn to attack you, unless you are fully prepared to attack more than one. In real life they would just zerg you and pummel you, even 10 beer swilling bar brawlers with no real skill would take out a single professional fighter
Sure, but I never expected to take on 10 guys in a fair fight. I do however think it's plausible that being batman (who's notorious in the underworld as immortal) would carry a distinct advantage psychologically, also he's got the grappling hook, bat-erangs, stun gas, and god knows what else which will help him to incapacitate some of the adversaries initially which would exponentially increase his odds.

Regardless, my initial point was that Batman is not any more unrealistic than James Bond. Which makes him much more appealing to some people (like myself) than Superman who is boring and overpowered on top of being an impossible aspiration. It is impossible to become Superman, it is only almost impossible to become Batman. Therefore Batman > Superman (for me).

May 17, 2010
omega 616 said:
I notice a lot of people love the batman, what I don't get is why.

I know you, post a thread like this and a million "I don't like it so why should anybody like it" posts pop up. What I am asking is what skills or things he does make him so epic?

Why is he so much better than the actual superhero's or even iron man, at least that guy can fly!

Ok, he can fight but so can a million other none super hero's, he solves crimes but so did Sherlock.

Just as a side note, I haven't watched or read all that many batman things but everything seems to be "drug the civvies" rather than blow em up, whats up with that? I know there are exceptions but on the whole there is more of a drug vibe to me.
I'll preface thsi by saying it's been four years since I've last read a comic book and even then I wasn't a huge fan so take this with a pinch of salt.

Let's compare Batman to Spiderman shall we?

Look at Peter Parker. He's shy, unpopular, poor, not good with girls, perpetually poor, etc. Being hoenst, I imagine the typical escapist was like him in his teens. However when he dons jis mask he becomes cool, chatty, capable of wisecracking constantly, get's the girl, etc. I imagine that is what escapsit wish they were like fi they were the superhero.

Parker is basiclly the classic nerd, his parker side being the one we show to stranger and the world, his Spider side being the one we are like with our friends and dream we could do at large. Yet that isn't what Spider man is about. The central theme With great Power coems Great Responsibility is essentailly nobelese oblige, the idea that if the powerful should use there abilities for the advancement of mankind.

This isn't a common situation for most of us but is a good moral. I would like it if people with financial knowledge used it to help economies out rather then to line their pockets.

Look at Batman. Wayne is so different to most of us, he's rich, good with the ladies, good lucking, lives a life of leasure, etc. And being Batman doesn't seem to be a barrle of laughs seeing as he is grim and stoic, never smiling.

Yet what is Batman about? IMHO it's about having values and nver compromising them. Even if you feel horrible, had a bad day, etc, you should enver compromise those values. For most teens this makes good sense, yeah your best friend may of slept with yourgirl but that doesn't mean your right to hit him. You should be the better man.

Both of the two character are more complex then that and that's not going into a huge detail of all the interpretations of them but Batman's morale does seem more accesible to me. IMHO

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
batman is a cultural icon like superman, they are almost just as old publishing wise and they have been present in western culture for almost four generations. they are were also a unique for their bleak outlook, in an otherwise campy period in comics history... not that batman didn't eventually follow suit.

besides he is probably the most relatable hero, he has without a doubt some of the most fleshed out characterization in the comics universe. the duality between identities coupled with a lot of emotional insecurities might seem like the recipe for an angst filled hero. but batman manages to turn it around into willpower and determination.

finally gotham is just insane, the city itself is a character, and batman is the perfect hero for such and insane world.

havass

Dec 15, 2009
Because...he's Batman.

Seriously though, it's mainly because he's a normal human being, but can fight on par with superheroes/villains. That seriously adds points to the respect bar. Compare him with Iron Man, for example. Take away his suit of armour and he's practically helpless. Take away Batman's costume and he's still a formidable bastard. Hell, he can even get out of a straitjacket on his own. How many heroes do you know who can do that without resorting to their power?

Also, his rouges' gallery is one of the best. On par or even better than Spiderman's.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I think it has a lot to do with his Rogues Gallery. Batman may not be the best hero, but he does have the best villains, hands-down. Even a cool superhero like Iron Man suffers in that department. Look at Iron Man 1 and 2. Who's he got? Iron Monger and Whiplash? Like, really? That's it?

The only guy who even comes close might be Spider-Man, which I think has a lot to do with why he's almost as popular as Bats.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Why is Batman better than any other super hero?

Simple: Because he kicks ass on the same level as pretty much anyone with super powers while HE HAS NONE. All he has in a genius level intellect, a body in peak physical condition, a metric crapton of money, a really good R&D department and some kick ass gadgets.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Batman is awesome. But in the Arkham City game, i wish he had more power to his punches and more gadgets that ties up enemies. The gadgets in that game are crap.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
I dont have to explain why batmans the best to you for batman is self evident. Especially a person who starts a thread with soooo....
If you dont get it, its your fault, stick to reading marvel where shits over the top with thunder gods, radioactive spiders, "mutants" and that guy who punishes people....with death.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
well... he and iron man have no real powers.
and iron man's kind of a jackass.
StBishop said:
He's possible.

exactly. all you need is some armour and some badass.

Hamish Durie said:
because....because batman
also this.

Wamble

Oct 18, 2011
I don't like batman.

I like batman's villains. With such detailed in-depth back-story that they posses, anyone of batman's villains could serve as a suitable main antagonist to almost any other superhero.

Stew Coard

Aug 14, 2011
well to properly answer this question you would probably need to write an entire essay (and yes I seriously could write several essays on why batman is awesome) but for a quick clean explanation batman has created powerful presence as a fictional character that makes him more desirable than more powerful superheroes (remember it's not about the super, it's about the hero). Although a better answer would probably be "I'M BATMAN!!"