Soooo.... James "AVGN" Rolfe is in the news this week..

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
undeadsuitor said:
And yet, neither of those movies got the same vile hatred thrown at it like Ghostbusters.

For as bad as those movies were, they're still sitting at like 90% liked on youtube, while ghostbusters is sitting lower than 20%

The trailer isn't worse than any of those old trailers, the property is just as old, the jokes and cgi are just as bad. So what makes this specific trailer 70% worse?

If it was timing, TMNT 2 would have just as bad of a score, if it was the fact that it's an unnecessary sequel, Independence Day 2 would be just as hated

there's only so many variables that could cause such a massive shift in disposition towards a movie
90% liked on youtube? Are you talking about the trailers strictly, or the movies themselves? If it's the trailers, then that's because the trailers tend to hide their worst bits, as modern movie trailers often do, by cramming themselves full of the best moments. This is partially why the Ghostbusters 2016 trailers are so derided; their use of 'the best moments' present the movie as a shallow cash-grab with diversity pandering that has a nice cherry on top known as "mocking the audience openly" with bits like Patty's "I don't know if it's a black thing or a woman thing" on top of the director happily chugging along with the narrative of "Only misogynists dislike my the blatant cash-grab I'm busy making!"

Honestly, I do not want to come off as rude, but every time this discussion occurs it seems as though the same tired methods of ear-plugging are dragged out into the open as if they're fresh and viable arguments. "Well there are other reboots that are just as bad!" Funny thing, the reboots tend to keep the reboots familiar enough for old fans to at very least point at the screen and say "Hey, I know what that's supposed to be." The closest thing to that in the recent trailers I've seen is the presence of Slimer, which honestly comes off more as a pandering tactic given the movie's supposed focus on being new, exciting, and a new generation of Ghostbusters.

Another thing that sets Ghostbusters apart in its general awfulness is the fact that the upcoming TMNT movie revisits plot points from the comics and cartoons that are, in general, quite beloved by the fanbase. I mean, actually well-rendered 3D Bebop and Rocksteady? Hell yeah, people were begging for it the moment the first Uncanny Valley Ninja Turtles was announced. Even Transformers Age of Extinction (I'm pretty sure that's the one) had the Dinosaur transformers, although from what I heard they got shafted on screentime.

Ghostbusters 2016 has... Slimer, Four unfunny comedians paired with an out of place male sex symbol, Happy Madison humor paired with middle of the road production values, and a viral marketing campaign that revolves around guilt tripping those big meanie heads who think their movie doesn't look that good into watching it by calling them names. If there's any vile hatred at play here, I'd say it's coming from the cast and crew, and 'prospective fans' behind this shlock. AVGN says he doesn't want to review a movie, and suddenly twitter users are coming out of the woodwork questioning his marriage's quality, calling him misogynistic, and gossiping up a storm over it.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
In other news, Unfunny comedian Dane Cook also decided to jump on the bandwagon.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFj0QYmAAnj/

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
So people can't have an opinion any more? Have we become that thin-skinned?

We should just listen to these guys:

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
So people can't have an opinion any more? Have we become that thin-skinned?

We should just listen to these guys:

Yup. A guy saying he doesn't want to watch a movie who has a big enough following clearly is pushing an agenda. Clearly.

Clearly.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Not seeing what the big damn deal is here.

Then again, there seems to be people on the internet, and Twitter mainly, that like to get mad at people for not liking something that they like. I mean, I don't give a shit about Ghostbusters, and I have no plans of seeing it.

But, Twitter's gonna Twitter, I guess.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
JimB said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Strangers can't have opinions on the internet.
Uh huh. What is it you say five sentences later?

DudeistBelieve said:
Then you got someone like Patton Oswalt giving him shit?
So, what are the rules here? It sounds like you don't have a problem with Mr. Rolfe having an opinion on the internet, but you do have one with Mr. Oswalt having one. Which opinions on the internet are people allowed to have opinions on the internet about?
What Mr. Oswalt said was really less of an opinion and really more of just an unnecessary insult, am I wrong? Is it really an opinion when he's giving a backhanded compliment about how much saliva Rolfe has in his mouth?

C'mon, man. That's not sharing an opinion, that's taking an unnecessary swipe at somebody. Golden Rule, yo.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Callate said:
I see his point, but he's kind of indulging in something a lot of "mainstream" critics could not: simply not going to the movie.

Critics are our sacrificial lambs. They go to the bad movies- or the movies they think are going to be bad- so that we, the consumers, don't have to. That's part of their job.

Now as an Internet critic, you have a certain ability to just fall back on the more informal nature of your "status" as critic and go, "Nah, I don't wanna." But failing to live up to that standard is all the more telling when it's you, rather than your editorial board, that decides what needs to be reviewed that week.

All that aside, I agree that the opinions he puts forward are quite moderate and he shouldn't be pilloried for them. But, again, Twitter. (And I don't think Patton Oswalt should be getting the recent wound of his daughter's mother's death torn open for daring to disagree, either. People suck.)
I've always kinda believed what Kevin Smith said about movie critics in that... well, I don't know why we indulge them, especially if say you got a movie like this where you know most of the critics just want to tare the movie apart.

Because the critics get to see the movie for free. Well why let someone that just wants to hate the film get to see it for free when I'm sure tons of people are out there that want to love the movie have to pay for it? Those are the people that should see it for free. Especially in this day and age, the critic is a dying platform. But I digress.

The reviews will be terrible but a lot of children, hopefully little girls, will get to see it, love it and it'll be their ghostbusters.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Sleepy Sol said:
Damn, Patton Oswalt is an asshole. Or maybe he just felt extra grumpy yesterday.
Well, I mean, I would imagine he would be feeling more grumpy lately, what with his wife dying and all...

OT: I don't really care about Ghostbusters (movie was way overrated) or the remake (the trailers make it look like garbage). So the whole thing, on both sides here, looks like a load of overblown nothing. The Cinema Snob's parody of AVGN's video, however, is fantastic, and by far the best thing to come out of this. XD

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
Sleepy Sol said:
Damn, Patton Oswalt is an asshole. Or maybe he just felt extra grumpy yesterday.
Well, I mean, I would imagine he would be feeling more grumpy lately, what with his wife dying and all...
Yeah, definitely something to take into account that I wasn't aware of before looking at the conversation, since I know almost nothing about Patton Oswalt beyond his name. :(

EVERYONE SHOULD BE NICER TO EACH OTHER.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
The Cinema Snob's parody of AVGN's video, however, is fantastic, and by far the best thing to come out of this. XD
I just lost a lot of respect for Brad. Who knew he felt that way about poodles?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
DudeistBelieve said:
What Mr. Oswalt said was really less of an opinion and really more of just an unnecessary insult, am I wrong?
It's an insult; it's also an opinion, and it's no more or less unnecessary than any other opinion, including Mr. Rolfe's opinion about Ghostbusters.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I already saw some twitter bs from that. He's a critic of some kind so it's kind of expected for critics to see movies of that type.
That said, I fully support the idea of ignoring the fucking movies you have no interest in or feel will be shit. I know some who went to see the TMNT movie because "you HAVE to see it" despite saying "you know it's going to be shit" and now after seeing that shit, knowing it was shit you'd figure, done right? No. TMNT 2 has Rock Steady and Bebop "Gotta see it for them!"
Supporting shitty movies for shitty reasons with this post containing the most times I've said shit, ever.

People ***** about Transformers getting so many sequels yet they keep seeing them or buying them. It's incredible they support the shit they hate. I'm convinced this is a trend with movie go-ers. Know it's going to be terrible but, it's got that franchise I like so I HAVE to support it.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Sleepy Sol said:
BreakfastMan said:
Sleepy Sol said:
Yeah, definitely something to take into account that I wasn't aware of before looking at the conversation, since I know almost nothing about Patton Oswalt beyond his name. :(

EVERYONE SHOULD BE NICER TO EACH OTHER.
Nah, I think we should all be dicks to each other. The constant combativeness will make social interaction much more tense and engaging. Basically, we need to make Rust real, is what I am saying.
Something Amyss said:
BreakfastMan said:
The Cinema Snob's parody of AVGN's video, however, is fantastic, and by far the best thing to come out of this. XD
I just lost a lot of respect for Brad. Who knew he felt that way about poodles?
It is obvious if you have been watching his videos for any length of time. He is constantly dumping on poodles.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
JimB said:
DudeistBelieve said:
What Mr. Oswalt said was really less of an opinion and really more of just an unnecessary insult, am I wrong?
It's an insult; it's also an opinion, and it's no more or less unnecessary than any other opinion, including Mr. Rolfe's opinion about Ghostbusters.
...But I'm saying the insult was unnecessary. Not the opinion. The opinion is fine, Oswalt still feels Rolfe should hand over his hard earned american dollars to see the film before he passes judgement, and okay. That's the opinion.

But that's not what I'm taking issue with, Jimb Old Sport! I'm taking issue with the unnecessary and frankly mean sideswipe at a guy that makes silly interviews for a living.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
DemomanHusband said:
Here's the funny thing, in the case of Transformers, nobody was called anti-transformer scum for not liking the trailers, not enjoying the movie, and refusing to give it a good review.

With TMNT, nerds weren't suddenly called racist because they didn't feel like sitting through a bunch of green-skinned ninjas spout 90's references while Michael Bay's effects team did their best to make movements look straight out of Foodfight!
And yet, neither of those movies got the same vile hatred thrown at it like Ghostbusters.

For as bad as those movies were, they're still sitting at like 90% liked on youtube, while ghostbusters is sitting lower than 20%

The trailer isn't worse than any of those old trailers, the property is just as old, the jokes and cgi are just as bad. So what makes this specific trailer 70% worse?

If it was timing, TMNT 2 would have just as bad of a score, if it was the fact that it's an unnecessary sequel, Independence Day 2 would be just as hated

there's only so many variables that could cause such a massive shift in disposition towards a movie
Depends on your own personal bias which variables you believe are at play here, best to know those before we put too much stock into our own theories.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
DudeistBelieve said:
...But I'm saying the insult was unnecessary. Not the opinion.
Oh. So, it's okay to criticize people for the way they express their opinions on the internet, but not the opinions themselves. Opinions are sacrosanct, but tone is not.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
JimB said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Oh. So, it's okay to criticize people for the way they express their opinions on the internet, but not the opinions themselves. Opinions are sacrosanct, but tone is not.
um... yeah, I think? I would like to think we live in a society that values not being a dick.

Or at very least if one is going to be dick, it should be funny.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
DudeistBelieve said:
JimB said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Um... yeah, I think? I would like to think we live in a society that values not being a dick.
What a delightful loophole this forms for politely-spoken Klansmen. Or hell, let's be less dramatic than that example, and go with anti-vaxxers.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
It's just bizarre that this is news. My wife doesn't want to see it either, as well as countless other movies she's just not interested in. Slapping the name Ghostbusters on something doesn't make it Ghostbusters and that was the point of the video. Did I go see The Heat? No. Did I see Spy? Nope, and probably won't due to my wife hating Melissa McCarthy with the fiery passion of 1000 suns and I'm ok with that. Decent comedies aren't exactly must see movies in my eyes.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
JimB said:
DudeistBelieve said:
JimB said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Um... yeah, I think? I would like to think we live in a society that values not being a dick.
What a delightful loophole this forms for politely-spoken Klansmen. Or hell, let's be less dramatic than that example, and go with anti-vaxxers.
Jimb, my boy, I'm kinda losing the thread of your argument. Whatever you're trying to say, I'm fairly certain it's going right over my head.

We're not speaking Anti-vaxxers or Klansmen here, (sidenote, I don't mind the use of hyperbole at all. Hyperbole should be used! It makes for good read) we're talking the AVGN nerd. Maybe he is part of some neo-nazi facist sexist cult, some secretive society of sorts, I certainly don't know the man well enough to say he isn't but from all accounts the only negative things I've seen about the man are bitchings that he did a kickstarter and he might've been a kind of a dick to the Irate Gamer.

Give me the go ahead if this is infact what you are trying to say, after all my poor mind has been warped and bent after months of nightwork and large amounts of whiskey... But I'm sensing some vague notion of idealism here. You mention loopholes, as if there are such things as hard and fast rules. We both know that's not the case. Yes there is virtue to the Golden Rule of kindness, which we no doubt believe in but also neither of us would suffer a Nazi well. Ho Ho! I believe I just broke one of those Internet Laws? Well fuck em.

Some might call that hypocritical of me, but I've learned not to be one to say rigid in such things. Life demands flexibility, brah! And if one is not flexible, the rigid will break under it's sheer weight!

But again, should this comedian be taking a swipe at the amount of saliva available in the poor boy's mouth? No, I don't think so. It also serves no purpose to. Oh sure, Rolfe can be shamed for sharing his view back to whence he came... but nothing really changes then does it? That's merely sweeping the problem under the rug as it were. Rolfe still will hold those views, only more stringently then because the fire has molded him more rigidly. No, if people want him to change his opinion they have to get him to listen to it and being insulting is completely counter productive to the mindset, as I'm sure you will know Jimb my boy! Even then, that's no gurrantee the man will re-evaluate his world view, but at least then there is at least a chance.

IF that was indeed what you were striving at, then the above should make some sort of rhyme or reason. Otherwise, I fear it will come across as mere gibberish and I'll be left all the more dumbfounded and completely at lost for what we are discussing over. Have pity on a old working man then, and enlighten me. "Drop some science on a ************" as the kids say these days.