Soooo.... James "AVGN" Rolfe is in the news this week..

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Moridin said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Moridin said:
Toast B.C. said:
TheLaughingMagician said:
Look just because bob says the things bob says doesn't necessarily reflect on you. Obviously I know #notalllizardpeople.
Look, you, we insectoid have had quite enough of you lizardpeople flaunting your regrowing tails, and then turning those tails whenever one of your people acts up. #yesalllizardpeople #flylivesmatter

Anyhow: Yup. We know. Nobody is allowed to say they aren't going to see something, if a woman is involved with it. That's what progressivism has come to. But it's not progressives fault, the internet does shit to people.
Climb down off the cross, it just doesn't suit you.
-teeth gnashing and wailing, beating of breasts, tearing of the hair-
No, this is the not the end of the Republic, it's just a nontroversy.
Nice strawman of my argument. Still doesn't change the fact that there's been a ton of web articles posted pretty much slamming James as a sexist nutbag for DARING to not want to watch the Ghostbusters Reboot. Not to mention all the tweets, and even a few posts here (Hi Amyss!) attacking his character.

This SHOULD have been a nontroversy, but for some odd reason a LOT of feminists have decided to latch on to this movie as the next great moment for Feminism (And what a moment. A reboot of a beloved franchise that had to threaten lawsuits to get ANY of the original cast to make cameos.), and have decided that ANY dissident towards it MUST be the work of vile sexists!

Apr 24, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Vigormortis said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
https://medium.com/@RachelBanks/misogynistic-mra-bob-chipman-cries-male-tears-over-all-female-ghostbusters-94f07f0870f6#.6ggug7sd1

At least MovieBob saved the day lol.
I...I don't...

What is this even?

This nonsense is spiraling so far down the rabbit hole it's become a meta-parody of itself.

I think I'm done. I'm out.

*grabs coat and heads for the door*
No. It's parody, right? Come on... Right? It's gotta be Sandy Beaches all over again.
Umm. That website literally lets anyone write a new story on there. If you go to the homepage, there's a button at the top that says "Write a Story" and a tag lower down that literally says "Anyone can write on Medium". That particular story was written by someone who has only posted one story (that one), has a bio that simply reads "Intersectional Feminist and Pop Culture Critic" and nothing else, and has an avatar that's just "Woman with brightly dyed hair" because people can't get enough of that SJW stereotype.

The entire article is full of random buzzword phrases like "But instead of checking his privilege and apologizing, Bob doubled down and began mansplaining." That article is the most blatantly fake thing I've seen in years, but everyone's troll-senses just turn right off the moment SJWs are on the table, right?

EDIT: Just noticed you already got told that it's a hoax, but I thought I might as well throw in my bit to mention how blatant a hoax it is.
I believed it was a piss take, but any doubt I had was due to my having seen people earnestly believing mental shit and jumping to mental conclusions in this vain before. Whether or not anyone can post doesn't seem particularly relevant to whether what's posted is earnestly believed. Also, barfing buzzword salad onto the screen as though it means something is commonplace.

The internet: Where crazy happens.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Moridin said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Moridin said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Moridin said:
Toast B.C. said:
Look just because bob says the things bob says doesn't necessarily reflect on you. Obviously I know #notalllizardpeople.
Look, you, we insectoid have had quite enough of you lizardpeople flaunting your regrowing tails, and then turning those tails whenever one of your people acts up. #yesalllizardpeople #flylivesmatter

Anyhow: Yup. We know. Nobody is allowed to say they aren't going to see something, if a woman is involved with it. That's what progressivism has come to. But it's not progressives fault, the internet does shit to people.
Nice strawman of my argument. Still doesn't change the fact that there's been a ton of web articles posted pretty much slamming James as a sexist nutbag for DARING to not want to watch the Ghostbusters Reboot. Not to mention all the tweets, and even a few posts here (Hi Amyss!) attacking his character.

This SHOULD have been a nontroversy, but for some odd reason a LOT of feminists have decided to latch on to this movie as the next great moment for Feminism (And what a moment. A reboot of a beloved franchise that had to threaten lawsuits to get ANY of the original cast to make cameos.), and have decided that ANY dissident towards it MUST be the work of vile sexists!
Unless you and Toast are "a LOT of feminists" no, still just you guys making noise here. Bye.
Except feminists and SJWs are hating on Rolfe for refusing to see the film. Refusing to see that is just will ignorance. Poor Rolfe is being hated on by SJWs becuase of his refusal to review a film and you have the audacity to deny that?

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Moridin said:
Bat Vader said:
Moridin said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Moridin said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Moridin said:
Toast B.C. said:

Unless you and Toast are "a LOT of feminists" no, still just you guys making noise here. Bye.
Except feminists and SJWs are hating on Rolfe for refusing to see the film. Refusing to see that is just will ignorance. Poor Rolfe is being hated on by SJWs becuase of his refusal to review a film and you have the audacity to deny that?
Calm down, and grow up.
Tell them.

http://imgur.com/6yP4jRL

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
The only reason James put up the video in the first place is because over the years, he has made it clear that the busters are his favorite comedy. It has influenced his work to a large degree and it is very dear to him. So it's only natural that people ask him his opinion on the reboot.

Now, I like Patton Oswalt as much as the next guy but getting salty over James' decision not to see it is non-logical. If you really want to see a film, it won't matter who is biased against it. James giving the movie a red card is not going to stop people from going to see it. Hell, globally, only a handful of people know James.

Finally, a movie means different things to different people and I think Oswalt forgot that. Then again, he has no idea where James comes from. He doesn't want to see it because he won't like it, since none of the original cast is in it and for him and a lot of people, the cast made that movie and they are irreplaceable. That's not a bad thing to think. Me, I wrote off both Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2 because I didn't like their look and to this day, I haven't seen the 2nd one. Because I love the character too much and the way they imagined him is not my cup of tea. Whether I draw my opinion from trailers or not is my problem and noone else's.

You are allowed to be protective of the things you hold dear and cherish so I stand by Rolfe on this one.

As for the SJW and people that tried to get some kind of a reaction from Oswalt by mentioning his wife . . . well, the 'asshole quota' on this is not reached yet but since there HAS to be one cause Internets . . .

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Moridin said:
Bat Vader said:
Moridin said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Moridin said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Moridin said:
Toast B.C. said:

Calm down, and grow up.
How about instead of being insulting and leaving short responses you actually try participating in the conversation. It's really not that difficult. I'll help you: Do you think it's wrong that Rolfe is being hated on by thousands of SJWs? Now explain why or why not. Like I said it isn't that difficult.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Moridin said:
Stop trolling image boards for reasons to get your panties in a wad. File that under "Grow up".
Again, perhaps tell that to the people throwing a fit over James not wanting to watch the movie and explaining his reasons. Seriously, all these people throwing a tantrum over one of the most mellow videos I've ever seen on youtube. He's not screaming, he barely (if ever) curses, he just says he's not gonna see it, and people throw a massive tantrum and a bunch of websites post articles that reminds me WAY too much of the Gamers Are Dead mess.

Then again, perhaps they shouldn't be hoping that a piece of crap reboot will be the next big victory of Feminism.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Moridin said:
I'm going to politely decline your invitation to act like any of this matters, thanks.
Personally I think it could matter. Strip away the buzz words and agendas; You have a reviewer/comedian that's pretty popular getting pretty decent flack for NOT wanting to give an opinion and giving pretty good reasons for excusing himself from said opinions? And on 'news' sites too(I say news but I mean like net/entertainment, I don't think like CNN or FOX etc has run a story on it yet for example).

I mean we see fans getting mad about people GIVING opinions and now we have other people saying x, y, and z about someone who Doesn't want to give an opinion? Have we gone full circle here? Where's it stop?

Yes it can be chalked up to "People being mean on the net" but as we've seen over the last few years, that's more than enough to get stories published on news sites and forums.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Saying it could, not that it would or bring the end to liberty. So maybe dial it back a little? I just find it bonkers that someone that doesn't want to give an opinion on something seems to be getting flack for it.

Would this blow up if it was a Ghostbusters with male leads? Or another reboot with Female leads, a reboot of a series he has no attachment to? Don't know, can't tell, too many what ifs not enough data to make a comparison.

What this does seem to show is that there are people on the net that look for whatever punching bag they can get their hands on/something to start something, and then Twitter helps to echo that if it gets enough traction. It's actually pretty interesting and sad to see just what can get traction on the net at times.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
MerlinCross said:
Saying it could, not that it would or bring the end to liberty. So maybe dial it back a little? I just find it bonkers that someone that doesn't want to give an opinion on something seems to be getting flack for it.
He's an Internet celebrity dealing with a topic that's surrounded with Internet drama. No matter what he did, he would had get flack for it (at least he can deal with all of it now, and not when the movie is released). But at the end of the day, why should that flack matter? It's Twitter. Twitter flacks famous people for everything. And frankly, James has experienced worse (and for much more important issues). He knows how to deal with it.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
CaitSeith said:
MerlinCross said:
He's an Internet celebrity dealing with a topic that's surrounded with Internet drama. No matter what he did, he would had get flack for it (at least he can deal with all of it now, and not when the movie is released). But at the end of the day, why should that flack matter? It's Twitter. Twitter flacks famous people for everything. And frankly, James has experienced worse (and for much more important issues). He knows how to deal with it.
It's also a number of internet articles that have been blasting him. Granted, it's not full on News Coverage (yet) but it's still WAY more focus than the video ever warranted.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Metalix Knightmare said:
CaitSeith said:
MerlinCross said:
It's also a number of internet articles that have been blasting him. Granted, it's not full on News Coverage (yet) but it's still WAY more focus than the video ever warranted.
Articles from sites that are mainly fueled by sensationalism and controversial politics (add an Internet celebrity into the story, and you get the perfect material for them). These are mere echo chambers for their reader base, and bait for pointless heated debate in the comments.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
DudeistBelieve said:

I'm not going to see it either btw, because I didn't like the original Ghostbusters. :D
HOLY SHIT I'M NOT ALONE!

Anyway on topic, this is silly. It amazes me that people are still talking about this thing and not just ignoring the movie if it's going to suck so much to be honest. Then again, here I am commenting, so who am I judge?

mardocOz

The Doc is in...
Oct 22, 2014
Zeconte said:
Except, if he didn't want to give an opinion, then he shouldn't have made a video giving his opinion. I mean, it's fine if he wants to tell people his opinion on the GB trailer and why he doesn't want to see the movie, but by doing so, he is giving his opinion and opening himself to criticism.
If the criticism was "Well, Mr Rolfe, I disagree with your views for reasons x and y but I respect your decision and your right to say it" then I don't think too many people would be taking umbrage with it. However, that isn't what we got.

What we got was "Oh look, another sexist misogynerd is boycotting a movie because they're a sexist misogynerd. Death to the misogynerd!" and ignoring the quite reasonable reasons given.

I haven't seen the new Ninja Turtles movie. I loved Ninja Turtles as a kid, I still have a lot of nostalgia for it. It's a special franchise for me, and I don't want to watch the new ("Michael Bay") versions because they look shit. I might be missing out, they might be good and OK that would be my loss, but it's my prerogative to not see a movie for whatever reason or reasons I want.

And I think the AVGN is well within his rights to make a video explaining why he isn't going to be reviewing the movie, since his audience would have expected him to do so considering his love for the franchise is well known. It's not at all unreasonable to say "Hey guys, I'm not gonna be reviewing this movie, and here's why."

End of the day, this was a whole lot of fuss over absolutely nothing. I'm seeing a lot of that on the Internet recently...