SOPA hearing yesterday: There are not enough /facepalms in the world

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
If this would actually pass then I don't know what to do, the internet is the modern world, if we don't have freedom on the internet then we simply wont have freedom. So I seriously don't know what I'd do if this bill passes, a bunch of old american politicians playing world police and screwing it up for everybody... Either I would get the most booring life ever or I'd rebel, oldschool style with a molotov in one hand and a baseball bat in the other. One thing I'm sure of, I'm not gonna live in a world where a small group of people can control everyone else.

The western world takes pride in offering the citizens this freedom, take it away and we got nothing. Seriously, USA is turning into a fascist state, I don't like the direction the world is going. Something needs to happen pronto!

One should not take this lightly!

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Agente L said:
As a wise man once said...

They are just a bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. But the world left them behind long ago.
This is why I genuenly wonder why I was on the short bus. Seriously people, how the heck can autism be a bad thing when you look at the rest of the crazy stuff people do?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Valet said:
Meh, since when has anyone accused a politician of intelligence? In America its a double-negative. Literally.
No offense, but man, that was the kind of ill-informed, sweeping generalisation I would expect from Fox News.

I doubt this will get passed anyways; yeah, film/music/whatever companies might make a small windfall in cash over clamping down on piracy, but in the long-term websites will simply set up shop overseas and laugh hysterically as the online economy of the US crashes and burns like the Hindenburg reborn. And the damage that will do to the economy far outweighs the piracy the music/film/whatever industries face.
But our politicians are so stupid HUR HUR HUR!

Seriously, in one breath you accuse our politicians of literally being incapable of being intelligent, then the next you say it's you doubt it's going to pass because of repercussions that would take foresight.

Much as I dislike our politicians in Britain, at least none of them-or a very few, very derided- are out-of-touch, money hungry, technophobic cunts. Instead, they are simply money-hungry, out-of-touch cunts.
It's not out of touch, it's "down to earth." It's "folksy." It's "populist."

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Sober Thal said:
The internet needs to be censored.

IP theft needs to be punished more severely.

SOPA is a great idea, but it needs to be defined more clearly. First and foremost, people should know that the 'pirate fear tactics' are ridiculous and misleading. Any reasonable internet user already knows this. Thieves will try to tell you that the internet will die if this legislature passes. They want you to believe all your social interfaces will be shut down because the gov wants to stop IP theft. Fear tactics are working as of now, but that doesn't make it right to be an asshat pirate. Chicken little calls for the end of days... I know everyone isn't so foolish to believe that.

It's a fine line to walk (so it seems) when so many users justify IP theft as 'I needs a demo', or 'DRM makes me sad', or 'I wants to make advertising dollars by using other peoples work to help me sell my shit'. Even the crazy 'I live in Australia, and my minimal wage is twice what it is elsewhere, but all my living costs aren't, so I should have a right to be an asshat when games are priced accordingly!' needs to stop. Your excuses are not valid. They are only sad. Sad that people as a majority are spoiled beyond reasonable expectations. For shame.

So many people are spoiled/caught up, by their life being tied to the internet. You'd think they would die if they didn't have the internet teet to suckle. It's sad really. It needs to be stopped before they become more addicted to it. (too late)

SOPA isn't perfect. But it's the best way to 'start to stop' these internet fiends. The idea that products should be cheaper is ridiculous and absurd. Next generation (a few years from now)should cost more considering the amount of time and money put into it. Does that give people the right to steal ones and zeros? No.

If you can't live without getting your fix of IP theft, then you need some serious intervention. If your morale's aren't active, you should be slapped (with fines) until you realize what you're doing is wrong. The warning system is perfect for that. Though why you need to be told more than twice what you're doing is wrong, is beyond me...

The world can still be a great place to live, even if you can't get paid content for free anymore. If you ever created something, you have the right to release it for no cost. The fact that people decide to make things free (file sharing) without consent is absolute bullshit.

Kids People now-a-days need to stop depending on the internet as a life force. Suck it up, and work for your damned happy fun time preoccupations.
Thanks for your opinion but you're so very wrong. Yeah we probably depend on the internet more than we should but you can probably say the same about every modern invention now can ya? The internet is not a place to be regulated by ONE country.

If you think the best thing to do to combat theft is to regulate the internet (There is alot of reasons why that's bad) then go vist the Middle East or China. China has essentially declared Martial Law over the internet essentially. If you believe in democracy at all then that whole statement makes you a hypocrite. It would be so easy to shut down sites in order to censor what somebody says.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
I dowt I could make any valid comment that was not already out there but I think it is all a bit fucked up where a load of ideates can make all the decisions even then they no nothing on the subject. I also feel it is wrong having a topic that effects not only the states but most internet users around the world thanks to a large surly of stuff being in the states, but of cause anyone out side can do nothing about the bloody thing. Now that is fucked up.

Theseus32

May 14, 2010
Word is Anonymous is planning some contingencies if this passes. Stuff far broader in scope than anything they've attempted thus far. Stuff to render both this and the NDAA ineffective. Rumors mind, but it does give cause for hope. Whatever else, the masked /b/astards appear to have our back.

Theseus32

May 14, 2010
ecoho said:
Glass Joe the Champ said:
I'm not sure if people have posted about it yet, but the hearing on SOPA was yesterday, and oh my god do I want to punch so many congressmen in the face.

Basically, it was a bunch of old white guys who knew absolutely nothing about technology and didn't bother to learn. One congressman said "If I had a dime for every time someone in the hearing used the phrase "I'm not a nerd" or "I'm no tech expert, but they tell me..." I'd have a large number of dimes and still feel intensely worried about the future of the uncensored Internet." The main backer of the bill openly confessed several times he didn't understand how the internet works, yet he acted like all the internet engineers opposing the bill were "wrong".

There was also this juicy quote from a reporter that pretty much sums it up: "If this were surgery, the patient would have run out screaming a long time ago. But this is like a group of well-intentioned amateurs getting together to perform heart surgery on a patient incapable of moving. "We hear from the motion picture industry that heart surgery is what's required," they say cheerily. "We're not going to cut the good valves, just the bad - neurons, or whatever you call those durn thingies.'

This is terrifying to watch. It would be amusing - there's nothing like people who did not grow up with the Internet attempting to ask questions about technology very slowly and stumbling over words like "server' and "service" when you want an easy laugh. Except that this time, the joke's on us."

Almost every single amendment to the bill was blocked without any meaningful discussion and it looks like they're rushing this bill out the door despite the consequences just so they can get it over with.

Does this piss anyone else off, or is it just me?
ok so i just got an Email back from my congress women. ill post the response now:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3261, the Stop Online Piracy Act. It is good to hear from you.
H.R. 3261 was introduced by Representatives Lamar Smith (R-TX) and John Conyers (D-MI) on October 26, 2011. A similar bill, the PROTECT IP Act (S.968), was introduced in the U.S. Senate. H.R. 3261 authorizes the U.S. Attorney General to seek court orders against foreign internet sites committing or facilitating intellectual property violations, such as distributing copyrighted media or selling counterfeit goods. Counterfeit goods sold online range from clothes and handbags to knock-off prescription drugs, which may not be as effective as U.S.-regulated drug or which may contain dangerous substances. H.R. 3261 was referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary, which held a public hearing on the legislation on November 16, 2011. At the hearing, it was evident that there is bipartisan support for the intent of H.R. 3261, which is to combat rampant online piracy that steals American innovations, hurts job creators and puts consumers at risk. However, the committee also fielded concerns that internet service providers, advertisers and other internet entrepreneurs will in the course of their legitimate business operations find themselves embroiled in intellectual property enforcement actions against bad actors. I do not serve on this committee, which has yet to schedule further action on the bill. I will, however, be sure to keep your views in mind should the Committee decide to approve H.R. 3261 for consideration on the House floor.

so it seems it still hasnt made it to the house floor so theres a good possibility that it will be beat (or at least changed significantly) before it goes any farther then the house.
Don't you just effing love political doubletalk? "I understand totally that something called SOPA exists and I realize you don't like it. I will keep your opinion in mind as I vote with whoever agrees to pay me the most. Thanks for the time asshole!"

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
Thank god for judicial review, this piece of shit legislation will be shot down as soon as it gets out of the gates of Washington. On a side note, I hope Ron Paul gets the republican nomination since he is the only person I can actually vote for in this coming election. All of the other republican candidates seem to be idiots and it will be a cold day in hell when I vote for Obama when he let both this and the Military Authorization Act through (at least I think he has already <_< )

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Theseus32 said:
ecoho said:
Glass Joe the Champ said:
I'm not sure if people have posted about it yet, but the hearing on SOPA was yesterday, and oh my god do I want to punch so many congressmen in the face.

Basically, it was a bunch of old white guys who knew absolutely nothing about technology and didn't bother to learn. One congressman said "If I had a dime for every time someone in the hearing used the phrase "I'm not a nerd" or "I'm no tech expert, but they tell me..." I'd have a large number of dimes and still feel intensely worried about the future of the uncensored Internet." The main backer of the bill openly confessed several times he didn't understand how the internet works, yet he acted like all the internet engineers opposing the bill were "wrong".

There was also this juicy quote from a reporter that pretty much sums it up: "If this were surgery, the patient would have run out screaming a long time ago. But this is like a group of well-intentioned amateurs getting together to perform heart surgery on a patient incapable of moving. "We hear from the motion picture industry that heart surgery is what's required," they say cheerily. "We're not going to cut the good valves, just the bad - neurons, or whatever you call those durn thingies.'

This is terrifying to watch. It would be amusing - there's nothing like people who did not grow up with the Internet attempting to ask questions about technology very slowly and stumbling over words like "server' and "service" when you want an easy laugh. Except that this time, the joke's on us."

Almost every single amendment to the bill was blocked without any meaningful discussion and it looks like they're rushing this bill out the door despite the consequences just so they can get it over with.

Does this piss anyone else off, or is it just me?
ok so i just got an Email back from my congress women. ill post the response now:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3261, the Stop Online Piracy Act. It is good to hear from you.
H.R. 3261 was introduced by Representatives Lamar Smith (R-TX) and John Conyers (D-MI) on October 26, 2011. A similar bill, the PROTECT IP Act (S.968), was introduced in the U.S. Senate. H.R. 3261 authorizes the U.S. Attorney General to seek court orders against foreign internet sites committing or facilitating intellectual property violations, such as distributing copyrighted media or selling counterfeit goods. Counterfeit goods sold online range from clothes and handbags to knock-off prescription drugs, which may not be as effective as U.S.-regulated drug or which may contain dangerous substances. H.R. 3261 was referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary, which held a public hearing on the legislation on November 16, 2011. At the hearing, it was evident that there is bipartisan support for the intent of H.R. 3261, which is to combat rampant online piracy that steals American innovations, hurts job creators and puts consumers at risk. However, the committee also fielded concerns that internet service providers, advertisers and other internet entrepreneurs will in the course of their legitimate business operations find themselves embroiled in intellectual property enforcement actions against bad actors. I do not serve on this committee, which has yet to schedule further action on the bill. I will, however, be sure to keep your views in mind should the Committee decide to approve H.R. 3261 for consideration on the House floor.

so it seems it still hasnt made it to the house floor so theres a good possibility that it will be beat (or at least changed significantly) before it goes any farther then the house.
Don't you just effing love political doubletalk? "I understand totally that something called SOPA exists and I realize you don't like it. I will keep your opinion in mind as I vote with whoever agrees to pay me the most. Thanks for the time asshole!"
.....man 1 vote in my state can mean everything so yeah my one representitive will most likely give shit what i have to say.

Apr 28, 2008
So, found a neat video and site.

Turns out, the cause for most of the software used to get pirated goods, were from quite a bit of the people supporting SOPA now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7DkrsCCQ_A
http://onecandleinthedark.blogspot.com/

Veeeery interesting.

BoredDragon said:
Thank god for judicial review, this piece of shit legislation will be shot down as soon as it gets out of the gates of Washington. On a side note, I hope Ron Paul gets the republican nomination since he is the only person I can actually vote for in this coming election. All of the other republican candidates seem to be idiots and it will be a cold day in hell when I vote for Obama when he let both this and the Military Authorization Act through (at least I think he has already <_< )
Yeah, he let the NDAA go through.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
Sober Thal said:
-Rubbish Snip-
Oh dear, I'm afraid you're so misinformed and self-righteous that it's both sad and disgusting. In your own words: For shame!

First of all, half the problem with SOPA is that it IS so ill-defined. The reason people think the internet will fall thanks to this bill is because the bill is so ill-defined that corporations could pull down your site for having a picture of their product and making money from advertisements. Youtube is one of the largest distributers of copyrighted material through little fault of their own. With this bill, it can and likely will be taken down.

You think it's too big? Take Newgrounds for example. It rarely has anything which is direct copyright infringement, most copyrighted stuff is parodied and adequately referenced. And yet, Tom Fulp has received multiple angry letters from corporations wanting to shut him down. If this bill passes, you can be sure they'll shut down Newgrounds in the blink of an eye. But if it's moved to an offshore server, it'll still be blocked in America, where I'm pretty sure 90%, if not more, of its content and traffic comes from. Similar things will hapeen for many sites, blogs and forums which happen to feature copyrighted material. Heck, I think even the Escapist could be taken down by Valve or BioWare.

You say people are spoiled. I agree. I do not pirate material I cannot otherwise obtain and I have often scolded my younger sister for downloading music, even though I myself have little music simply because I don't have the money for it (not that I couldn't afford it if I wanted, I just have better things I can spend my money on). However, this bill jumps over those people and beyond anyone who makes parodies or remixes music for fun, and takes out a lot of people who aren't spoiled or malicious in their internet endeavours. You may think "well people who do those things are using content for their own benefit!" but they could have bought that content in order to remix it or whatever, so they aren't stealing the music and the product is more of a free advertisement for the original creators which, if referenced properly, will then get more traffic. You can't remix a remix to come up with the original product so it can't really be considered the original product anymore. But I digress.

You claim people are addicted to "the internet teet, thinking they will die if they don't have it to suckle". Not only is this highly disturbing and terribly rude, you're looking at the wrong side. A lot of people actually do rely on the internet but not for their own entertainment, but for their business practices. If they didn't have the internet then a lot of small business would go down the toilet, go bankrupt and some actually would die. Maybe not straight away but they'd have to get a second job, which increases their tax, then they have to move to a slummy part of town, then they get shiv'd on their way home butanyway-

You say this will "start to stop" these "fiends" but I'm afraid it will actually go much too far past this, it will stop a lot more than that and to not be able to see that or to think it's a reasonable sacrifice is very short-sighted. Also, while I don't like using this argument, it's a violation of freedom of speech. If you have something bad to say about a product and happen to feature that product on your blog, your blog can be taken down. This is absolute 1st ammedment violation which, I know isn't a God-given right, but is guaranteed by the constitution and any bill which violates this cannot be put through congress.

I've always wanted to live in a simpler time before the internet and I'm sure I'd survive just fine, but the way the economy is set up now, this bill will cripple more than just interwebs enthusiasts and IP theives. I'm sure you won't have read all of this because you don't seem like the type to ever consider yourself to be wrong and also, many others will have already told you all of this more succinctly. :p But here it is.

Also as a closing point (I hope I don't get banned for this): I believe people are being paid off. Politicans have done and said some stupid things for what they thought was right for the people, but this almost seems TOO stupid. Wanting to stop online piracy? Fair enough. Pushing this bill as quickly as it is and not listening to any ammendments being offered or expert testimony? Now that's just a bit fishy. I mean for people who admit to knowing nothing about the internet they certainly know exactly what they do and don't want. I hate conspiracy theorising because it always sounds so egotistical, like you're so proud you know something sinister that's going on, but the idea of this actually scares me.

Also as a final note:

nikki191 said:
its like watching monkeys use tools for the very first time in amongst throwing faeces
This made me think of this which I only just saw earlier today and I think is particularly appropriate:

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm sure I've already replied to this but damn, I'll try again.

Most of the opposition to this act is NOT about 'wah I don't want to stop pirating', it's about the gaping holes in the act that allow those in power to pretty much do what the hell they like on a whim, leading to massive reductions in internet freedom, and basic freedom of speech.

Anyone think that given a massive scandal in 5 years time, and the Government has the power to shut down websites, that sites breaking the news won't be suddenly going very quiet?

In the UK we had an 'anti terrorism' bill passed, and while it was meant to be used in rare, extreme cases, it's been used regularly just because it's useful and can be.

Passed because there seemed to be an extreme threat, then used against all the citizens once it was passed.

Anyone think this won't go the same way? There's no way they'll restrict it, it won't be 'Ok, we've blocked piratebay, we can stop now'.

My only slight glimmer of light in all this, is if they do find some way to magically eradicate online file sharing and copyright infringement, I can sit back and enjoy as every entertainment company's profits plunge in a horrifying way, as fewer and fewer people discover and enjoy new artists, tv, movies, and games, as no-one's sending them links to sites or youtube videos anymore, and sales of entertainment products plummet.

It's vaguely linked, although I realise some won't be able to view it here, Charlie Brooker's 'National Anthem' had a lot to say about freedom of information and the internet and how it can change things.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Agente L said:

They are just a bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. But the world left them behind long ago.
Matthew94 said:
Agente L said:

He also went insane and tried to become a god.
When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime", freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.