SOPA hearing yesterday: There are not enough /facepalms in the world

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
But hey, its you guys voting these fuckers into place.
No, it isn't us. It's middle-aged people concerned about their children. It's elderly people who have been told by the golf partner of these elderly congressmen at their weekly bridge night.

I would be so bold as to say no one on the escapist is the type of person to (at least knowingly) vote in someone who is opposed to a freer internet.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
4RM3D said:
William of Braveheart said:
They may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!
William, you were wrong. They can apparently take away our freedom.

Do you know what's ironic? That picture would be illegal due to the laws that SOPA would enforce.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
I'm from the future where SOPA has passed through legislation.

All mediocre internet personalities have purged themselves from existence. Everyone has became richer AND happier as a result.

The economic crisis resolved itself, Peace was established in the middle east, famine was abolished, and we made contact with an Alien civilization. Oh and naturally, we discovered time travel.

I hope the backing for SOPA is as strong this time as it was before I traveled back in time.

Apr 28, 2008
Flac00 said:
4RM3D said:

Do you know what's ironic? That picture would be illegal due to the laws that SOPA would enforce.
Yep. If Fox or Comedy Central or Matt Groening (or whoever the hell owns futurama) doesn't like it, they can say it infringes copyright, and get the entire site shut down. And could be enough to throw whoever linked it into prison for five years, since SOPA makes this kind of stuff a felony.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
SOPA is an intentionally retarded distraction put forward by those in power to distract us from the important legislation they are putting through.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2011/12/2011121643213177164.html

There's their real design. Their real goal.

I have refused to believe it even as I have seen Obama push for Corporatist policy and be allowed his aims yet be blocked in any Populist design he has claimed to want. This is the final straw though. If pressured I must concede that our economy is now almost totally Corporatist and this will give us a military state to match.

Fascism didn't come to America with a Bible in one hand and an American flag in the other, the flag was on a pin on the president's lapel and the Bibles were in the hands of his supposed opposition.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
It pains me to, say, see people who have zero hands-on experience in the field of education make extremely important decisions about the future of education in our country. Or the internet, in the case of SOPA.
As both a secondary teacher and an internet enthusiast, I salute you.

This is why I teach at a private school. There are standards we have to meet in order to maintain our ability to issue state-recognized diplomas, but there's still MUCH less red tape and bullshit to sift through compared to what I hear from my friends who have taught in public schools.

It's too bad that there isn't some way to take the internet out of the hands of public policy.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Irridium said:
Flac00 said:
4RM3D said:

Yep. If Fox or Comedy Central or Matt Groening (or whoever the hell owns futurama) doesn't like it, they can say it infringes copyright, and get the entire site shut down. And could be enough to throw whoever linked it into prison for five years, since SOPA makes this kind of stuff a felony.
And suddenly everyone on the forum is named Anonymous and is using a public proxy to make it appear as he is living in Zimbabwe.

Also, even if SOPA is happening, good luck enforcing it on people outside of the USA.

May 29, 2011
I think at this point america should tear the entire system down, have a massive survey on the smartest people in the country and only let those people vote on how the new system will work.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Here is how I think about the hearing:

............................................________
....................................,.-??...................``~.,
.............................,.-?...................................?-.,
.........................,/...............................................?:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:?........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....?~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....?~,_........?~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......?=,_.......?-,_.......,.-~-,},.~?;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......?=-._......?;,,./`..../?............../
...,,,___.\`~,......?~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-?
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
As a wise man once said...

They are just a bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. But the world left them behind long ago.

Apr 28, 2008
So, seems Firefox users have a bit of a failsafe if SOPA passes.

http://lifehacker.com/5869665/desopa-for-firefox-bypasses-sopa-dns-blocking

Just thought I'd share this.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Anybody in the government that has more power than the average citizen of the country should be REQUIRED to have a good understanding of modern technology, and in depth understanding and pior experience of ANY issue whatsoever they have any say for, be it technology, ecomomics, or the mating rituals of narwhals.

While we are at it, every one of them should be nonpartisan, people should be elected solely on their merit, not if they are arbitrarily pro-this or that.

4RM3D said:
Irridium said:
Flac00 said:
4RM3D said:

And suddenly everyone on the forum is named Anonymous and is using a public proxy to make it appear as he is living in Zimbabwe.

Also, even if SOPA is happening, good luck enforcing it on people outside of the USA.
On the plus side, you could probably get FOX's site shut down too. Pretty sure EVERY website would violate at least 1 part of SOPA.

MistahFixIt

Mar 31, 2009
Irridium said:
So, seems Firefox users have a bit of a failsafe if SOPA passes.

http://lifehacker.com/5869665/desopa-for-firefox-bypasses-sopa-dns-blocking

Just thought I'd share this.
As it was, as it shall always be. DRM and anti-piracy measures don't actually stop pirates; it just makes it more and more draconian for your legitimate customers and users to do business with you.

So in other words, anti-piracy measures only seem to punish those who play by the rules.

Apr 28, 2008
Apparently the markup for tomorrow has been postponed.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111220/11175317144/lamar-smith-says-just-joking-about-tomorrow-sopa-markup-postponed.shtml

So seems it's back to next year.

Or, I should say, back to the future.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
Jabberwock xeno said:
On the plus side, you could probably get FOX's site shut down too. Pretty sure EVERY website would violate at least 1 part of SOPA.
Doubtful. The rule of law doesn't apply to friends of those with power.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Guess what.

Escapist will be shut down too, why? Look at your avatars. Half of them are copyrighted images, in other words, we're all fucked because of that.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
XT inc said:
I think this sums it up pretty well. Why are they allowed to vote on stuff they know nothing about, maybe they should look into measures preventing uninformed clods making decisions about stuff they are baffled by.
I may have pinched that cartoon for future use...