SOPA Storms Back

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Exile714 said:
I wish I could properly explain how the US Congress works to The Escapist community. How many of you actually know what markup is? I can tell you that markup is NOT where proponents of this bill want it to go. I can tell you that its chances of revival in this congressional term are slim and that this is a huge setback.
Of course I know what markup is! It's the difference between how much a company charges for a product and its individual manufacturing cost. It differs from profit because it usually refers to a single SKU, and it doesn't take into account other costs involved in the product's manufacture, such as workers' wages.

Pfft, I don't know why I'm explaining this to you. You're on the internet, and everyone on the internet is dumb but me.

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
I live in Australia, and the blackout protests are happening right now. And I suppose the whole dirty foreigners thing comes from the fact that The Pirate Bay is offshore and the US can't do much about it.

Like the dude several comments above me said, when a bill is in markup in your system things aren't looking great for it. I can only assume that direct opposition from the executive branch is a pretty bad blow to its progression. I don't know that much about US politics, I only watch the daily show (since we can't get Bill Maher anymore), but we shouldn't stop the protests now. If we keep going strong then we can really drive this shit back into the water without winding up with a re-write in a months time. so yeah, 12 hour blackouts- GO.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Exile714 said:
I wish I could properly explain how the US Congress works to The Escapist community. How many of you actually know what markup is? I can tell you that markup is NOT where proponents of this bill want it to go. I can tell you that its chances of revival in this congressional term are slim and that this is a huge setback.

But you won't believe me.

Because the internet is for OMG!, not intelligent conversation.

As someone who works in legislative law, SOPA and PIPA (by proxy) are dead. Of course, anything can rear its head again, but for now it is over. Good job. You people made my work SOOOOOOOOO much easier.

Thanks.
Thank God there are always patient know-it-all's such as yourself that can explain this unfathomable word to us poor, unwashed, slow-in-the-head peasants.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and remember less condescension and a bit more respect will get you a lot more of those "intelligent conversations" you crave so much.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Geez that was quick. I guess Wikipedia and the other sites will be making use of their black out.
FalloutJack said:
"How can I get out of this chickenshit outfit sir?"

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Spud of Doom said:
Ugh, so not impressed by this. In saying that, though, this guy is undeniably a biased source. It may be further gone than he is suggesting.
I'm pretty sure that a bill's sponsor knows what is coming up for the bill.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
I just got a letter back from my congressman today. Who wants to dissect?

-------------------------

" Dear Mrs. Leach:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns about H.R. 3261 and S. 968, bills intended to deter and prevent intellectual property. I appreciate hearing from you.

As new technologies are developed, we must work diligently to strike a balance between preserving fair use principles for consumers and reasonably protecting intellectual property. As you may know, H.R. 3261 and S.968 would authorize civil prosecution against an "Internet sites dedicated to infringing activities." Such a site is defined as one that (1) has no significant use other than engaging in or facilitating copyright infringement, circumventing technology controlling access to copyrighted works, or selling or promoting counterfeit goods or services; or (2) is designed, operated, or marketed and used to engage in such activities. As a member of the House of Representatives I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind should I have the opportunity to consider either bill for a vote.

I believe it is crucial to give the power of choice to consumers by requiring broadband providers to keep the gateways of information flowing freely. As such, I have consistently voted to keep the Internet free from interference, including becoming an original cosponsor of H.R. 3458, the Internet Freedom Preservation Act of 2009. This legislation would require the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and other agencies to guard against unreasonable discriminatory favoritism for, or degradation of, content by the operators of the networks that make up the Internet based upon that content's source, ownership, or destination. I will continue to fight to protect the diverse range of online services and content that consumers enjoy today.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about such an important issue. For news on current federal legislative issues, please visit my website at www.house.gov/inslee, where you can also sign up to receive my e-newsletter. My office is here to serve you, so please feel free to contact us in Shoreline at 206-361-0233 or in Washington, D.C. at 202-225-6311 for assistance

Very truly yours,
JAY INSLEE
Member of Congress "
-----------------------------

I'm not sure what to make of this. It's very... interestingly worded.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Do American politicians have a hard time realizing how bad this could be for their already wounded economy?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If you ask anyone who doesn't personally have staff devoted to media spin what's costing America jobs, I can all but guarantee that piracy won't be their first pick. In most cases, it won't be in the top five. And for the odd person who mentions it, it probably won't be "foreign" pirates who take the hit.

But by all means, please, save us from ourselves. Clearly we demand vague, harsh laws to prevent us from doing something we appear to be doing in droves. [/sarcasm]

Rarely is it this blatantly obvious that the lobbying groups have next to nothing in common with the electorate.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I still don't think SOPA will come to pass, I think it's backers are pushing the date foward in case the bill loses any more support than it already has. The bill is so unpopular, it will never see the light of day. It's still a very doomed ship and will have a life-span similar to the Mary Rose.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
THIS IS THE WORST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER!

This is worst than when I head strep throat and two ear infections.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
There was never any question that SOPA would be back in some form or other, at some point or other, but the hope, I think, was that it would take a little longer than this.
As you said, Mr. Chalk, I expected the victory to be short lived, but one day?? Can someone give an hour count?
I wonder what will happen today (it's just after midnight the 18th) and see if that'll change anything. I'm really excited.
On that point, does the Escapist have any plans to black out the site for a day?
Furrama said:
I just want to commend you for actually writing your congressman. And it seems like a, while still cluttered with the ancient language of politicians, good response.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Once Google relocates, felonies among 18-25 years olds skyrocket, and it brings about several lengthy (and expensive) court battles/challenges they will see how much they fucked up.
with a for-profit prison system and a model for entertainment media in which lawsuits are more money than actual product? I'd still say you're an optimist.
Oh no, you forgot the fun part: watching a judge try to compare a law concerning the internet to a 200-year-old document to see if it fits the founders' intentions and if it is "constitutional".
Better than that! I can't wait untill "experts" on the news fight over what the founding fathers would have said about the internet had they had it. They will do this with a straight face.

Personaly I think if we used a time machine to show Ben Franklin an Iphone and watched you tube on it he would burn down his workshop and have a mental breakdown.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Sorry but is this no sopa has been shelfed to no we are back on in a day to screw around with the "blackout" i hope that the companies that were preparing for the blackout are already to go.

As this bullshit has to stop and if these people think they can stop a mass movement by pretending to be out of the picture of blackout day.Then i want to show these people what the internet really consists of.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Sometimes I wish I could hate someone to death....

Corrupted phoenix of a bill needs to die horribly, and anyone that supports it needs to be removed from office, effective immediately.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009

OT: This moron just doesn't learn, does he? I really hope that this bill crashes and burns and this guy looses his elected post for this.

And for those of you who know me to any degree will know that I rarely get this pissed off about anything.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
For the love of Pete! Now my Newgrounds post is a lie! That's it, I'm joining the black out tomorrow on both my Youtube and My Newgrounds account (I'll keep this one up to have something to do).
How would you even black out an account on a third-party site? Wouldn't you have to literally delete all your uploads in order to purge them from your homepage?

Furrama said:
I just got a letter back from my congressman today. Who wants to dissect?

(snip)

I'm not sure what to make of this. It's very... interestingly worded.
Sounds like he's planning to vote for this but is trying to get on your good side by bringing up a past vote that he guesses you're in favor of. I do like the little typo at the beginning where he says the laws are "intended to deter and prevent intellectual property." 'Cause, yep, that's what they'd do, all right.

Ragnarok185 said:
hang on...........
is it considered Terrorism if your doing the world a service?
It's considered terrorism if the U.S. government doesn't like you. Doing the world a service (as opposed to doing America a service at the expense of the rest of the world) definitely sounds like something that would fit that description, yes.