Sorry sir, but I can't take you seriously.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
My year 11 business studies teacher was fresh out of school, and we were her first class, she couldn't control us, and didn't even try. So whenever she did try and teach us anything, no one listened to her, or took her seriously.
Needless to say, we all failed her class, I ended up with an E.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Oh yes, quite often, and with lots of people, too. All my relatives find it very hard to agree with me on anything, for instance. It's amusing being the "black sheep", all the time. And there was this chemistry teacher I had, from 8th grade onward. She was, indeed, literally crazy. And I mean it, in the real sense of the word. My problem with her, wasn't that she wasn't teaching us anything whatsoever concerning the subject, whilst discussing the weather and what not, because, not to offend the "scientific crowd" here, but I couldn't give less of a toss about anything other than the theatre and maybe English. The problem I had with her, was that, as oblivious as I might have been in this particular subject, I still knew more than she did about it, and it was quite hard to try and not to argue with her all the time.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
brandon237 said:
The title is relating to a teacher of mine, a science teacher. A new teacher who has not been the most knowledgeable science teacher I have ever had. During the first lesson he taught us, the lesson was on magnetism, he said that the cause of the auroras was "The magnetic field of the Earth bending the light[footnote]Yes, photons of light...[/footnote] towards the poles." For those who are not science students, think about the fact that it takes a black hole many times heavier than our sun to bend light like that. Couple this statement with his general level of confusion and number of self-contradictions and corrections, as well as his Arnold Schwarzenegger accent and I simply cannot take him seriously when he teaches.

Now to the point: Have any of you Escapees ever had a situation like this where, for some or other reason, you could no longer take some seriously? All the better if said person was a teacher / in a position of power over you.

Oh, and if anyone says they cannot take me seriously for the slight grammatical error in the title, I will kindly ask them to consume their own pancreas. It is there for effect damnit!
Gravity of the earth bends light a tiny bit and light refracts when it enters the atmosphere but that is irrelevant. Not a significant amount. Your teacher was saying the right stuff just phrased wrong, had he said solar wind instead of light he would have been completely right. He just did not take half a second to make an important detail. had you pointed it out at that moment he would have said "yes, oops" and moved on.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
I have an awesome business studies teacher from india. He is a great teacher but he says "are you following" at the end of every other sentence.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
I bought someone a book about the Soviet Union that contained a map of Russia. Someone asked if it was cold in Russia...

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
Someone once asked me if the Great Wall of China was built for the same reason as the Berlin Wall. "You know, to keep out the commies?"

This person is my mother.

EDIT: Thought of another one.

I had a class once on the relationship between science and religion. One of the other students asked one of the dumbest questions I've ever heard.

Student: "Is it possible that God's just a con man?"
Instructor: "You mean Jesus?"
Student: "No, I mean God. Like, what if God was just some guy lying to people?"
Instructor: "'God' is a complex metaphysical concept spanning throughout history. God's interactions with people, if you believe, have been going on for thousands of years..."
Student: "Yeah, and what if it was just one guy?"

The contest for dumbest kid was down to between him and the girl who didn't believe in dinosaurs.

KouThan

Jan 3, 2011
No it is a a magnetic head that changes the direction of magnetization of small particles on the surface of the platter.
And now I can't take you seriously either. If you say something better make sure you actually now at least something about it.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
xXGeckoXx said:
brandon237 said:
The title is relating to a teacher of mine, a science teacher. A new teacher who has not been the most knowledgeable science teacher I have ever had. During the first lesson he taught us, the lesson was on magnetism, he said that the cause of the auroras was "The magnetic field of the Earth bending the light[footnote]Yes, photons of light...[/footnote] towards the poles." For those who are not science students, think about the fact that it takes a black hole many times heavier than our sun to bend light like that. Couple this statement with his general level of confusion and number of self-contradictions and corrections, as well as his Arnold Schwarzenegger accent and I simply cannot take him seriously when he teaches.

Now to the point: Have any of you Escapees ever had a situation like this where, for some or other reason, you could no longer take some seriously? All the better if said person was a teacher / in a position of power over you.

Oh, and if anyone says they cannot take me seriously for the slight grammatical error in the title, I will kindly ask them to consume their own pancreas. It is there for effect damnit!
Gravity of the earth bends light a tiny bit and light refracts when it enters the atmosphere but that is irrelevant. Not a significant amount. Your teacher was saying the right stuff just phrased wrong, had he said solar wind instead of light he would have been completely right. He just did not take half a second to make an important detail. had you pointed it out at that moment he would have said "yes, oops" and moved on.
He mentioned nothing of the solar wind's reaction with the atmosphere giving off the light, nothing of charged particles at any point (which was a huge focus of the section we had just done) just that the light energy from the sun was bent by the magnetic field towards our poles where we could see it. And then he elaborated on this, not once mentioning any of the actual processes involved in the formation of the auroras. That is not one word off, that is just wrong. He also said that birds' magnetic sense comes from the iron in their haemoglobin. Not iron deposited in their beaks, not from magnetically sensitive parts of their eyes (two debated ideas on ho they actually sense the magnetic field) no, but that the iron in their haemoglobin gave them their magnetic sense. Lolwut?

He did not make a simple mistake. He said something that was, in his mind correct, but that wasn't in the real world. He did it again today in class... A much smaller mistake today, but yet another important problem.

Zenkem

May 3, 2009
My first IT teacher was an old woman who thought "these machines are nothing but trouble". She had gone through a computer basics course, so all we did was write essays in Wordpad and draw in Paint. In practice though, we did the assignments as quickly as possible and spent the rest of the lessons playing Duke Nukem 3D deathmatches. She was fine with this because she just wanted as little to do with computers as possible.

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
Well, this thread is what finally pushed me over the fence. I now have an account.

Anyways, In 10th grade I knew a girl who didn't have the slightest idea who in the world Hitler was.....

....O and there was also a girl In 9th or 10th grade (don't remember which) who asked the science teacher.........drum roll please....

"Why don't people in China fall off the earth is gravity is pulling us down?"

P.S. I have noticed a number of posts that have been... well rather mean to the, shall we say, mentally lacking they have come across. Now I'm sure that some people (possibly more than some) on the escapist have been picked and bullied by those who are physically stronger and isn't that the SAME THING as bashing the folks who are not a bright as you may be?

Don't get me wrong now this thread is GOLD pure freaking gold, but a few posts have seemed well.... downright mean (in person) to the, lets just say, simpler folks they have come across.

EDIT: It's only obvious if you already know it.

--do i type edit or does it type it for me? is it now going to look like i edited the edit?--

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
brandon237 said:
brainslurper said:
My teacher last year said that our classroom was a democracy.
And this democracy was highly successful AND democratic, wasn't it? I can see the votes coming in, 27 - let's do work. FUN! 10 - Let's have free lesson to talk to our friends, how boring! Totally successful democracy.

EDIT: Double post. I fail... don't take me seriously you cruel, cruel world.
Yeah, but you forgot the part where we voted the class fish as the teacher.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
TestECull said:
I can't take anyone seriously when they can look me in the eye and straight-facedly tell me a planetary geared automatic, the kind with the torque converter, is better than a manual, CVT or dual-clutch sequential box. They're soft, slushy, weak, inefficient, slow-shifting, heavy, easily damaged and horribly stupid. Manuals are best for 99% of the street cars out there, CVTs are excellent where absolute smoothness is called for and/or drivers who are physically unable to handle a manual(Paraplegics, for example), and sequential units are excellent for competitive racing due to how quickly they can shift.
Lies, a CVT has an excellent acceleration characteristic due to constant optimal ratio!

Also, screw you, I drive to enjoy, not to work. DOWN WITH MANUAL.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I study medicine and one of our lecturer is big on alternate medicines, in first and second year he'd give lectures on them with poorly designed studies he'd done himself. There's a reason people went outside to play frisbee when it was his time to talk.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I think what you might not realise is that the way the teaching profession is set up, teachers are frequently forced to teach subjects irrespective of if they know anything about them or not.

For instance, my mother was an IT teacher in a high school for a while.

Now, she knows her stuff when it comes to IT, but the schools she worked for frequently got her teaching metal-work, woodwork... Industrial design... And several other subjects that really have very little to do with computers.

What was the reasoning behind this?

"Well... You're a teacher first and foremost, and your area of knowledge is an after-thought."

So... Yeah. The education system seems inherently messed up. >_<

And as such, don't expect that your teacher necessarily knows the subject they are teaching beyond the limits of what's explicitly on the school curriculum.

SolanumX2

Sep 15, 2011
My pastor bought stolen games and a car stereo off my uncle and told everyone his kids could play GTA3 because they knew a cheat to turn off the violence. Thank god we left soon after and I got to get back to my childhood.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
I think what you might not realise is that the way the teaching profession is set up, teachers are frequently forced to teach subjects irrespective of if they know anything about them or not.

For instance, my mother was an IT teacher in a high school for a while.

Now, she knows her stuff when it comes to IT, but the schools she worked for frequently got her teaching metal-work, woodwork... Industrial design... And several other subjects that really have very little to do with computers.

What was the reasoning behind this?

"Well... You're a teacher first and foremost, and your area of knowledge is an after-thought."

So... Yeah. The education system seems inherently messed up. >_<

And as such, don't expect that your teacher necessarily knows the subject they are teaching beyond the limits of what's explicitly on the school curriculum.
That's America for ya.