Sound off (Issue 54): Favorite Space Game

Zapatero

Jul 19, 2006
Joe said:
You've read the issue, now tell the world.

What's your favorite space-based game?

For me, this one's easy. No matter how much I enjoy games like EVE, StarCraft still holds onto my heart like a vice grip. The CD is still in my drive at home. Honorable mention, of course, goes to Homeworld 2. Between the three, I'd almost not miss Earth on an inter-stellar mission into deep space.
Starcraft, a space game?! I'd argue to the contrary, partly because I have an irrational hatred for Blizzard's games... actually, mostly. :)

Me, I like Elite and EVE in roughly equal measure. But generally there are far too many space games I like to have to list them here.

- Z

Hitchhiker

Jul 12, 2006
Freespace 2! Capital ships! Giant lasers! Shooting! Explosions!

If you were to force me to choose from more recent ones, I'd probably say Space Rangers 2.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Gonna have to say escape velocity. Was a very close call with starcraft but I just put too many hours into EV to ignore it. then i did it again when override came out, then again for nova...............

would love to try EVE, but i'm still a mac man. So until i upgrade to a macbook and start dual booting vista I'm a little short of options.

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
Homeworld 2 of course.

Surprised no one has mentioned Starflight, which was the game that wrenched me from the realm of the casual gamer into the lifetime obsession :)

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Toss up between Freelancer and MOO2. Freelancer for its fun play design, and MOO2 since it owned me for about 4 months.

kbeam

Aug 21, 2006
I'm surprised only one person has mentioned Privateer so far. It was Freelancer's ancestor and was more engrossing to play, in my opinion. It's one of my all time favourites.

Ajar

Aug 21, 2006
It's definitely Escape Velocity for me. I played, played again, modded, played, and even wrote a mod or two of my own, way back when. And I rediscovered the love with EV: Nova a few years ago.

kbeam

Aug 21, 2006
And I was just reminded of the original great space titles: Elite and Frontier! Talk about procedural content generation, these games were, and still are, the kings of it.

Aug 31, 2006
There are actually quite a few good space titles in various Genres.

In 4X I would definitely say Master of Orion 2, and it is truly sad that since 10 years there is no game that can match it's class, just as with XCOM.

Space Sim is imo tied between Privateer and Tie Fighter (both excellent games) - Freelancer had too little long term motivation for me. Also Privateer 2 was quite good, although it lacked the "magic" of part 1.

(True)RPG-wise it's a bit harder, since there are only a few of those (Megatraveller would come to mind), but all in all I think Star Control 2 would be a good choice, that comes close to an RPG, although I also heard interesting things about Whale's Voyage, but I never played it myself.

In RTS it's the Homeworld Series without any doubt (Starcraft would beat it, but as others said, I too don't consider Starcraft or Dawn of War (another excellent RTS) a "space" game) - although Conquest: Frontier Wars and Star Command have their merits too.

Action games wise it's a lot harder, since there are so many titles, some entertaining, some well desinged, some simply fun, but none I would put above all others.

EDIT: forgot MMOs: There is not much to choose from here really, but it's definitely EVE-Online.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
DrRosenRosen said:
Asteroids
actually now that i think about it, I spent an unreasonable amount of time playing maelstrom.
was an ambrosia game (same guys that did EV) and was basically asteroids but with awesome graphics and a whole boat load of cool powerups that you could collect.

Sep 4, 2006
EVE online since beta, before that, Planetarion... nothing amazing, a simple browser based game. It had (has?) a great community of nutters tho, that would set their alarms at unholy hours just to launch a fleet at the enemy. Good times.