Sound off (Issue 54): Favorite Space Game

uk_john

Jan 1, 2007
Freespace 1 and 2 yes. But many games have been mentioned here that you can get in one game released in 2006. You like Starflight? Star Control II? Escape Velocity? Master of Orion? or even a 'Pirates in space', Asteroids or Infocom adventure game! That game is Space Rangers 2 (comes with Space rangers 1 for free!). You owe it to yourself to Google 'Space Rangers' and find out what you've been missing! The most unknown game to be No.4 in Gamespy's Top 10 games of 2006! Comes with text adventure and 3D RTS mini-games (that you can switch off!), with AI and an interface that could teach any game in the last 3 years how to do it properly! :)

Jan 3, 2007
The space game I've probably played the most is Elite, but I had a lot more free time back then! The space game I would like to call my favourite though has to be Homeworld. It was just a beautiful game on so many levels.

costik

Aug 26, 2005
Hmm...

I'd suggest:

4X: Space Empires, Starships Unlimited.
Shmups: Geometry Wars, Endless Fire, Bullet Candy, Space Interceptor
Elite-like: Starscape, Flatspace II
Sidescroller: Jets'n'Guns
Risk-like: Pax Galaxia
Sim/Tycoon: Outpost Kaloki, Smugglers 3
Galaga-like: Warblade
Just Odd: Weird Worlds, Strange Adventures in Infinite Space

MOO 2 is still unsurpassed, of course.

sharp_as_a_cork

Oct 12, 2006
For me it's Privateer 2 (the ending is awesome!) and/or freelancer for simming.

and

Star Control 2 ... amazing, incredible game. More of that, please. (and I don't mean Star Control 3).

ReedRichards

Dec 5, 2006
TIE Fighter for me I loved moving up through the ranks of the Imperial Navy. It was really cool to play Star Wars from the other side and see the rebels as terrorists. Joining the Secret Order of the Empire was as cool as becoming a Jedi for me.

Ahhhh, the memories of strafing freighters with my Ion cannons, leaving them dead in the water and finishing them off on the return pass all while upside down.

JugglerX

Mar 22, 2007
Well I've gotta go with Ascendancy by the logic factory way back in the mid 1990's, best 4x space game I've played.

respect to star control 2 when I was very young, it was also a truly awesome game.

I also seem to remember another game around this time called mega traveller 2, that was pretty epic, it had the k9 characters in it.

Alpha Centuari deserves a mention as well. Great unique factions. Evolving story line within the game, and of course an incredibly well written and voice acted fictional encylopedia which still blows my mind today.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
JugglerX said:
an incredibly well written and voice acted fictional encylopedia which still blows my mind today.
Hear hear!

As an experience star control 2 was fantastic. I think I'm still partial to star control 1 though, because it has a better internal (im)balance for supermelee. The additional ships of star control 2 weren't that interesting, although the dialogues were fantastic.

May 17, 2007
Star Control 2 is definitely the space game that holds the best memories for me. I'll risk sounding amazingly lame and say: it made me feel like I was with friends. I didn't haul ass all the way to the far corner just to get a tactical advantage, I did it to say hi to my old pals the Utwig and the Supox. The characters had that much personality.

I thought X-Wing vs TIE Fighter was the best of that series, but it's much the same game I suppose.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
TIE Fighter was awesome, yes, I have to give much love there, but as much as it hurts me to say it, I have to give the edge to Freespace 2. The original was brilliant as well, but Freespace 2 took everything to an entirely new level: gripping story, great enemies, mind-boggling capital ships, truly stunning graphics, and even a fantastic ending. I can't think of a single thing that game did that it didn't do well. It still hurts that there was never another sequel.

And because I can't help myself, honourable mentions:

Homeworld: I hate RTSs, I love Homeworld. Everytime the whole "are games art?" debate flares up, I want to pull my box off the shelf and throw it at someone. It wasn't even a great RTS; the AI was pretty half-assed and easily exploited, which meant that some of the near-end-game battles were actually remarkably simple, and put you in a position where your fleet was an absolutely unstoppable juggernaut. But the package that RTS was wrapped in was simply awe-inspiring. (Homeworld 2, however, was shit.)

Mechwarrior 2: A bit borderline, since you weren't actually fighting in space (except for a single combat in Ghost Bear's Legacy), but you did travel between planets and fight on behalf of grasping interstellar empires, so I'm counting it. Great combat, awesome soundtrack, and I had an absolute blast playing online in the Netmech Registry.

Wing Commander: Primitive now, but in its day it was revolutionary. There are two kinds of gamers in the world, those who played WC, and those who did not. If you didn't, don't bother; dig up TIE or FS2 or something and enjoy the evolution of the genre. But if you did, then you know what I'm talking about.

Starflight: I have laminated maps from both Starflight and Starflight 2 hanging on my walls in here. I think that says about all that needs to be said.

Tarmanydyn

Jun 15, 2007
Freespace 2, hands down. Come on Volition... Saints Row? 2? *Vomits with rage* We need a Freespace 3, although... seeing what Wing Commander has turned into on XBL... maybe I'd be satisfied with just reinstalling FS2 :|

Nexus: Jupiter Incident is one that wasn't mentioned I don't think. It was pretty good. Same with Space Rangers, I just wish there was more depth to the combat system, and game as a whole.

Kesash

Jun 4, 2007
Still the highest rated space based MMORPG - Earth and Beyond (F5CK 21!) (The new EVE hasn't been rated...) Fishbowls FTW!

hammarus

Feb 14, 2007
I liked Tie Fighter, Homeworld, Freespace, Wing Commander etc. They were all great games, but when you made it to the end, you were just done. Oh I tried going back and doing it all again, and sometimes I made it thru again without getting bored. But in the end they are all one trick ponies.

For re-playability there is nothing that can come close to MOO/MOO2. Days,Weeks,Months devoted to playing and replaying these two games. /I think im going to cry...nostalga kickin in.

Maybe a current contender to the thone is EVE.

ps. I agree with other posters, Starcraft is not a space game.

Tarmanydyn

Jun 15, 2007
hammarus said:
I liked Tie Fighter, Homeworld, Freespace, Wing Commander etc. They were all great games, but when you made it to the end, you were just done. Oh I tried going back and doing it all again, and sometimes I made it thru again without getting bored. But in the end they are all one trick ponies.
Not true entirely, the mod scene for many space games are pretty vast. I think it would be worth giving some mods for Homeworld and Freespace 2 a go.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Fraser.J.A said:
Star Control 2 is definitely the space game that holds the best memories for me. I'll risk sounding amazingly lame and say: it made me feel like I was with friends. I didn't haul ass all the way to the far corner just to get a tactical advantage, I did it to say hi to my old pals the Utwig and the Supox. The characters had that much personality.
I'll risk being accused of necrophilia (for resurrecting this thread), but that comment is really spot on. I had the same experience. Sometimes I'd like to prank call the spathiwa or go camping with Orz.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I have a few. Most notably:
Freespace 1 & 2
Homeworld 1 & 2
Freelancer

However, the one I had the most fun with had to be Earth & Beyond. Not a huge fan of MMO's but that one had me hooked for as long as it was around. I'm not sure how many countless hours I had logged as a Jenquai Explorer.

Alas, this is one genre that sees too few games. And of those most are regrettably as bad as a game can get.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
Malygris said:
The original was brilliant as well, but Freespace 2 took everything to an entirely new level: gripping story, great enemies, mind-boggling capital ships, truly stunning graphics, and even a fantastic ending. I can't think of a single thing that game did that it didn't do well. It still hurts that there was never another sequel.
ok so amlygris said it best, freespace 2 was the most brilliant space opera. and i LOVE space fighter sims. was hoping eve would be that but fuck if the ships control same damn way as any other fucking memorperger. also xwing was the game that introduced me to that stuff, and it will always have a special place in my heart, right after freespace 2. DAMN YOU VOLITION, WE NEED A SEQUEL!!

That_Guitarist_Guy

Mar 29, 2009
Escape Velocity Override back when I was still running OS9, and then when I got OSX and the money to get a license for Escape Velocity Nova, I became obsessed with that game. Ah... Good times...