Source 2 Confirmed: Will be Free to Content Developers

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Source 2 Confirmed: Will be Free to Content Developers

Just like the Unreal and Unity engines, Valve's Source 2 engine will be free for all content developers.

It's a good time to be a video game developer. Hot on the heels of new VR Headset [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139992-Unity-Technologies-Releases-Unity-5-Globally-At-GDC] codenamed "Lighthouse"

"The value of a platform like the PC is how much it increases the productivity of those who use the platform. With Source 2, our focus is increasing creator productivity. Given how important user generated content is becoming, Source 2 is designed not for just the professional developer, but enabling gamers themselves to participate in the creation and development of their favorite games," said Valve's Jay Stelly. "We will be making Source 2 available for free to content developers. This combined with recent announcements by Epic and Unity will help continue the PCs dominance as the premiere content authoring platform."

Supporting 1080p at 60Hz with low latency, Steam Link will be available this November for $49.99, and available with a Steam Controller for an additional $49.99 in the US (worldwide pricing to be released closer to launch).

"Lighthouse gives us the ability to do this for an arbitrary number of targets at a low enough BOM cost that it can be incorporated into TVs, monitors, headsets, input devices, or mobile devices." said Valve's Joe Ludwig. Valve intends to make Lighthouse also freely available to any hardware manufacturers interested in the technology.

Additionally, those oft-delayed Steam Machines will finally be in our hands in time for Steam Link's November launch. "Steam Machines will start at the same price point as game consoles, with higher performance. Customers interested in the best possible gaming experience can choose whichever components meet their needs," said Valve, confirming that Alienware and Falcon Northwest will be among the dozen initial Steam Machine partners to launch this year.

At this stage, I don't think I need to even tell you that there was absolutely no mention of any game in development with a "3" in the title at Valve's press conference.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
This is the only new engine I'm excited to see in action. I wonder if TF2 will be updated to run with Source 2? Probably not, but I'm curious to see regardless.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Mr.Mattress said:
This is the only new engine I'm excited to see in action. I wonder if TF2 will be updated to run with Source 2? Probably not, but I'm curious to see regardless.
The infamous crab-spy and pootis will look brilliant taking on the vagineer in mortal combat. I also hope this will see quick integration into Gmod and SFM.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Valve's making for quite a showing this year at GDC. Numerous lectures, not one but five hardware reveals, Source 2, and talks regarding their in-house physics engine (possibly named Rubikon).

Honestly, this all has me just as excited as I'd be if they'd announced a new game.

All of this coupled with the news from nVidia, AMD, Epic, Unity, and the stuff on Vulkan, means it's a great time to be a PC gamer.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Silentpony said:
Valve did A thing. Half Life 3 confirmed!
Pretty much. Not a fan of Valve games, and as someone who saw the HL2 games as overrated Source Engine tech demos, I'm pretty sure they'll release HL3 for Source 2. At least they'll have something new to show.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Silentpony said:
Well shit...you know what this means guys...sigh.

It should go like this: Source 2 + Source 1= 3! Half Life 3 confirmed!

OT: I really hope they put out a new game with this. Like a new Portal type game. Not Portal 3 itself though. That series has played itself out I think. I would not be opposed to a new physics based platformer with Portal type humor though.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sleekit said:
Gennadios said:
Silentpony said:
Pretty much. Not a fan of Valve games, and as someone who saw the HL2 games as overrated Source Engine tech demos, I'm pretty sure they'll release HL3 for Source 2. At least they'll have something new to show.
i concur.

you don't make a new engine for nothing.

usually...as in almost every case i can think of...its made as the base for a flagship product.
Ricochet 2 confirmed

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
This is an exciting time.
So many free engines.

But now I'll have to pick between sticking with Unity or learning Source 2 and Unreal 4.
Possibly all of the above if I've got the time.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Steven Bogos said:
Sleekit said:
Gennadios said:
Silentpony said:
i concur.

usually...as in almost every case i can think of...its made as the base for a flagship product.
Ricochet 2 confirmed
Team Fortress Classic Remastered and Reloaded confirmed.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Half-Life 1, 2, Ep1, Ep2, and Team Fortress 2 Source 2 ports Confirmed! Half-Life 3? What does this "3" symbol mean?

Seriously, though, it's interesting to see all of these new engines being free (or royalty free) for commercial use. I wonder how many larger studios take advantage of them, compared to the smaller and/or indie teams that don't have the money to either write their own engine or buy one and possibly customize it. I know Valve wants as many games and users as possible on Steam and this is another of their efforts to get them.

Steam Machines that cost the same as consoles and have more power? I could believe that next year. But now? I want to see some comparisons. Also, they really are going with configurable systems, instead of one and letting the consumers upgrade on their own later. I guess they realized that trying to make one config for the ease of optimization is futile, since their are so many different PC systems already in existence, and the Steam machine market might not grow big enough before upgrading happens, rendering the one known config point moot.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Hot on the heels of Unreal 4 going completely free [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139992-Unity-Technologies-Releases-Unity-5-Globally-At-GDC]
The articles on the Escapist that you linked there say that Unity has gone completely free and Unreal 4 now only charges royalties. You may want to fix that.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So how many engines are coming out now? Unreal, Unity and now Source?

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
valve announces source 2 on the third day of the third month at 3 pm pacific, good to know that they think hl3 is a joke as much as the rest of us.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Sleekit said:
Gennadios said:
Silentpony said:
i concur.

I think they're making Left 4 Dead 3 in the Source 2 engine...although they haven't announced it, to my knowledge, and have confirmed that they're working on Half-Life 3 under the name Ricochet 2. I guess it's a question of which one comes first. Honestly, whatever it is, I'll be excited to see it. I am so excited to see what people all over the place are going to be doing with this engine...oooh baby, yesyesyes.

erttheking said:
So how many engines are coming out now? Unreal, Unity and now Source?
Yup. All fo' frizzle.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Gennadios said:
Silentpony said:
Hope so. I've said it before but getting a Half-Life 3 to beta Source 2 for us means we're likely to get a more confidently made Portal 3, Team Fortress 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 on Source 2, which will make Half-Life 3 just Half-Life 2 again but who cares? The fans will get what they want.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
The Great JT said:
Does this mean we can expect a Vampire: The Masquerade game to be the first game to market using it?
I'd actually love that. Although hopefully it would be less of technical mess.

This is interesting, I was starting to think Valve was running out of twos to announce.