Source: Sony's "NGP Is a Developer's Dream"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Source: Sony's "NGP Is a Developer's Dream"

Sony gave a presentation to game developers in London yesterday and one anonymous attendee praised the PSP successor's hardware and dev tools.

For years, videogame developers have been trying to tell Sony that they need to make it easier for them to make games on their platforms. It seems that the powers that be at the Japanese conglomerate have listened as they held a small private event in London to show off just what the recently announced NGP is capable of doing. Developers will now be able to make games for both the PS3 and the NGP using the same tools, and Sony encouraged them to make games for both platforms simultaneously while keeping the NGP version fresh by adding social media features to the game. The source, who asked not to be identified, was extremely impressed.

"NGP is a developer's dream - Sony is finally doing the things developers have been crying out for for years," he said.

The demo included titles that Sony-owned studios are making for the launch like an Uncharted game, Little Deviants and WipEout. "The WipEout HD PS3 engine running on PS3 with no changes to the art platform. That means full resolution, full 60 frames per second. It looks exactly the same as it does on PS3 - all the shader effects are in there.

"Any shaders for PS3 stuff will just work," the source said. "We won't have to rewrite. What would have taken two-to-three months before looks like it could take just one-to-two weeks now. The architecture is obviously different, but it's the same development environment."

Sony is also making it easier to submit third-party games, streamlining the process for both NGP and PSN. Any game that shows up on the new flash cartridges can be up on PSN but Sony didn't just want redundancy. "[Sony] does not want exactly the same game ... [there] has to be a reason for the NGP title," he said. "They want at least some kind of interactivity between the two versions with NGP-only extras." These would be social media tie-ins for in-game items on both platforms.

The specific features of the NGP sound interesting, like the touch screen on both sides of the handheld. "The touch pad on the back is fantastic," the source said. "It does feel second nature, like you're having a real impact on the world." You might be able to pick up an object in the game world by pinching the NGP, for example.

The mysterious source also gave some hints as to when we'll be seeing the NGP. A non-3G enabled wi-fi only version is scheduled for 2011, while the 3G NGP was listed as "Holiday 2011" which seems to point to it not being available at launch. Dev kits will ship with the actual GPU chip in it soon but due to lack of supply Sony is going to prioritize which game developers get them first. Interested studios have to write up a ten page proposal on what game they'd like to make before Sony will send the kit along.

The good news is that it will be simple to get up and running. "A PS3 dev station can take three hours to set-up. This looks like it will take under 20 mins. It just makes everything easier - they've really thought about it this time."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-04-new-ngp-details-emerge-at-private-event]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Good. So Sony has decided to work with the developers, smart.

Also, it's good to see that they know how damn important software support is. Doesn't matter how good your specs are if you've got absolutely nothing worth playing.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Good job sony, this all sounds quite awesome and putting them on the right track to a great gaming platform. They are playing their cards right and if they get the battery life and price just right, then this is a dream come true. Can't wait to get my hands on this thing.

My only concern is that although it's damn easy to make PS3 quality games on it and port them, I hope we don't get a bunch of ports or whatever. I want original titles, and spinoffs more than ports.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
I'm still scared shitless by the prospect of how much they'll make me shell out for this. Because honestly, so much good stuff in one package doesn't come cheap.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Developers will now be able to make games for both the PS3 and the NGP using the same tools, and Sony encouraged them to make games for both platforms simultaneously.
This makes me very happy. As a person who doesn't own a PS3 and probably never will, at least I get the chance to play some of the exclusive games on the NGP. Sure they are ports and remakes on the PSP but they lack the pretty graphics and dual analogs.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
$1 bets it still fails. It's just pattern recognition.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
"The WipEout HD PS3 engine running on PS3 with no changes to the art platform. That means full resolution, full 60 frames per second. It looks exactly the same as it does on PS3 - all the shader effects are in there.
Wow, that's insane. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the devs will do with this one.

Regarding the rear-touchscreen: Anyone else think it could be good for aiming? If the screen is responsive enough, won't it be pretty close to aiming with a mouse?

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
mireko said:
"The WipEout HD PS3 engine running on PS3 with no changes to the art platform. That means full resolution, full 60 frames per second. It looks exactly the same as it does on PS3 - all the shader effects are in there.
Wow, that's insane. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the devs will do with this one.

Regarding the rear-touchscreen: Anyone else think it could be good for aiming? If the screen is responsive enough, won't it be pretty close to aiming with a mouse?
Meh, the dual analog would work better, using the back touch pad would be neat but it wouldn't feel right. The axis controls though would be great for shooters for stuff like leaning, prone, and steady/iron sights aim.

The back panel I could see for other functions not really pertaining to aiming.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
yay for more games of a higher caliber. or way way way more shovelware... man what a double edge sword that is!

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Well, assuming this is true, I am glad Sony has learned at least something from their PS3 experience. Unfortunately, they still did not learn that overserving the market in terms of graphical fidelity is a bad idea, since all it does is drive costs for marginal gains and a lukewarm consumer reception (sort of like how the mass market responded to the PS3). Plus, the fact that developers can make games for both the PS3 and NGP doesn't instill me with confidence...it could very well result in most developers simply using NGP as a dumping ground for their PS3 projects (and using a gimmick or two to pass Sony's "social media tie-in" requirement) and not focus on actually developing good titles specifically for the platform.

The specific features of the NGP sound interesting, like the touch screen on both sides of the handheld. "The touch pad on the back is fantastic," the source said. "It does feel second nature, like you're having a real impact on the world." You might be able to pick up an object in the game world by pinching the NGP, for example.
Ah, time really does make the converts. It seems like only yesterday when developers were calling the DS a "Crazy Ivan" for including a touchscreen. ;)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Damn, that's a lot of juiciness. I am going to stay as far away from the hype machine as I can with this device, I don't want to get sucked into another impulse buy...

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
I highly doubt this thing will do well at all. Its selling point is that the games look and play exactly like console games. Why would you want to play that on a tiny screen? No one does, the PSP and DS showdown proved that.

Also, given the hardware they're putting into this, it wouldn't surpries me if they charge nearly $400 for it.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Rusty Bucket said:
I highly doubt this thing will do well at all. Its selling point is that the games look and play exactly like console games. Why would you want to play that on a tiny screen?
Because it's, you know, portable? Hell, I'd buy it even if the only game ever made for it was the new Monster Hunter game, with PS3 graphics, that I can have with me at all times.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Developers will now be able to make games for both the PS3 and the NGP using the same tools, and Sony encouraged them to make games for both platforms simultaneously while keeping the NGP version fresh by adding social media features to the game.
So what I'm reading here is "NGP will be chock full of PS3 ports with small added features." It makes me question if I'll need an NGP as I already have a PS3. The NGP is going to need some of its own games to get me interested. If not, I can just save money and keep using my PS3.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Easier development? Good.

Encouraging having nothing but console ports for a handheld? Bad.