South Koreans Aren't Playing StarCraft II

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Well, you got to remember that Starcraft had 10 years on the market before Starcraft II came around, so of course it's gonna take a while before they recoup all their losses.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
They have no lan support so south koreans can't play pirated copys in multiplayer, pretty much no Sc 1 player in SK actually owns a copy.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
John Funk said:
It's actually slowly moving in Blizzard's favor; the major networks - and some of the superstars - are starting to switch over.

It's probably not nearly as quickly as big blue would have liked.
Yea, it is because there are Starcraft pro gamers but not starcraft 2 pro gamers yet, the reason Starcraft is so popular is pro gamer like Boxer exist. Also Stacraft took way more than just a few month before coming popular as a E-sport.

I mean even Slayer_Boxer (Aslo known as "The Emperor", and arguably the best Starcraft player) said Stacraft 2 is just as good if not better than Starcraft.

Also system requirement is a big part as well.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Double post!!.... I think there is latency bewteen posting and actually seeing the post.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
HA HA!

I knew something like this would happen. LAN MADE Starcraft. The ability to play it on any computer, spawn a copy to any friend, and get a group of people to play without Battle-Net Bullshit smoothed the path to popularity.

Also, it's not the full game/story.

djmulder

Nov 12, 2010
Blizzard not knowing what their fans want? That's fresh!

Nah seriously... ever since Activision had some say they were slowly but surely killing off their game-content, forcing their mis-interpretation of what their fans want.

Just look at the franchises of WoW, Starcraft and Diablo. All they smell is money money money and 0 vision.

They keep thinking they can't be touched but... well they WILL sink if this vision doesn't change and will be pushed in the ground by the first visionary with balls.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
GiantRedButton said:
They have no lan support so south koreans can't play pirated copys in multiplayer, pretty much no Sc 1 player in SK actually owns a copy.
Wrong!!

Out of 11 million copy of Starcraft sold worldwide, 4.5 million was sold in South Korea.

"StarCraft was released internationally on 31 March 1998 and became the best-selling PC game for that year, selling over 1.5 million copies worldwide.[72] In the next decade, StarCraft sold over 9.5 million copies across the globe, with 4.5 million of these being sold in South Korea"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft

I know people think asia pirate a lot because even some part of the goverments use pirate copy of Windows (about 10 years ago), the problem is Mircosoft charge the same price there as in US, and they can't afford that kind of money. If you charge reasonable amount compare the local income they will be more willing to buy things.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Actually I think most people in korea don't have a computer that can take starcraft 2 : / Or maybe I am missjuding the countries wealth.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
$30 million on an ad campaign and $0 million on researching their playerbase. Yup, it's big company politics at work!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
What a way to shoot yourself in the foot; everyone knows why it's popular there, so why restrict it?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The players in that country has invested 10 years in to Starcraft 1, why did Blizzard think they would all jump to Starcraft 2?

Forcing Battlenet and no LAN were two ideas that wern't thought out either.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Ah, so it's because of the Battlenet problems. When I first read the title I thought that they didn't like the game because of the gameplay or story or something.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
If I remember correctly, the whole reason for battle.net requirements rather than personal LAN support was so that pirates couldn't get the code and thus allow unauthorized private servers to exist. Aight, maybe most of the games weren't pirated in SKorea...but if LAN support is provided the code can be studied, ergo pirates could potentially get multiplayer going down the road.

Funnily enough though without LAN...it seems as if South Korea has made a big FU sign for this one. Even more funny that none of the new graphics, shiny things or story budged them one itty bit from the original Starcraft. So it boils down to not alienating something like a third of your fanbase (at least if you take the sales numbers of the first Starcraft as representative of such)...or appeasing them, but also allowing pirates the potential of multiplayer.

Heh...this is going to be one big moral quandary for the anti-piracy zealots and even moreso a financial one.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
I wouldnt be suprised if this gets blamed on piracy soon.

But, wow! Alienating whole country with $30 million? That takes some skill.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
Blizz needs to rethink their strategy, Battle net should be only optional and they should allow LAN for the next expansion pack or they are fucked.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
vansau said:
Hopefully Blizzard will take this as a lesson and move forward with some better ideas about how to not alienate an entire country. Still, knowing that you wasted $30 million has got to smart.
gotta disagree with you there. I fervently hope they don't learn soon enough to lose most of their market share to companies who stifle creative talent a bit less. 'Course, they pretty well alienated me, too (though I still LAN Starcraft on occasion... do I taste blood? It's a little irony).
That said, I don't mind if they learn after they lose the near-monopoly, though.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Loonerinoes said:
If I remember correctly, the whole reason for battle.net requirements rather than personal LAN support was so that pirates couldn't get the code and thus allow unauthorized private servers to exist. Aight, maybe most of the games weren't pirated in SKorea...but if LAN support is provided the code can be studied, ergo pirates could potentially get multiplayer going down the road.

Funnily enough though without LAN...it seems as if South Korea has made a big FU sign for this one. Even more funny that none of the new graphics, shiny things or story budged them one itty bit from the original Starcraft. So it boils down to not alienating something like a third of your fanbase (at least if you take the sales numbers of the first Starcraft as representative of such)...or appeasing them, but also allowing pirates the potential of multiplayer.

Heh...this is going to be one big moral quandary for the anti-piracy zealots and even moreso a financial one.
Yes what you said is true all pirated server uses LAN (no matter Warcraft 3 or Starcraft), actually what they do is fool the client that they are using Local connect when they are actually connected over the internet.

I have quite a few Korean freind and they all like Starcraft 2, but they feel Starcraft is more familar. It isn't Battle.net or anything, but if you play both you should realize Stacraft 2 plays nothing like Starcraft 1 in terms of tactics, and strategy. They just feel Starcraft is more like home to them, they already played it for over 10 years. It is just like moving, it isn't the new home is bad or anything, but you just feel connected to the old one.

I guess we won't see South Korea changing to Starcraft 2 until Starcraft 2 pros become popular, as I mention before the reason Starcraft is so big is because there are Pro gamers like Boxer promoting it.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
I get mad every time I see my SC2 casing. It's a good game, but I thought Blizzard would have enough love for their community not to take away something as fundamental to the franchise.

Oh, and I have a Starcraft LAN planned in this weekend. All of us have a legal copy of the original SC (I have 2 for some reason), most of my friends bought it after having pirated it for LAN purposes, but only 3 of us own SC2.