South Koreans Aren't Playing StarCraft II

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
ciortas1 said:
Darkong said:
Dude are you serious? Blizzard is one of the few developers that truly, truly have no reason to cower from pirates. None, no justificiation at all with the profits they're pulling in, to fuck over their legitimate buyers because of pirates. Sorry, if you side with them on this one, the best thing I can assume about you is that you haven't played SC2 and/or Warcraft 3 or the original Starcraft to have a reference to how shitty this new system is.

And again, like everyone, you seem to be missing the point. Along with missing LAN, Starcraft 2 is missing a feature that should be included in every multi-player game ever. [HEADING=1]P2P and dedicated servers.[/HEADING]

This, along with the godawful popularity system alone is what keeps Starcraft 2 from being a below acceptable online service.

Also, yes, Starcraft 2 will eventually be accepted by South Korea. It is inevitable, haters, get real.
P2P is the easiest way to get hack in multiplayer games, Im pretty sure Starcraft2 have dedicated servers.
Personally I feel the popularity system is better than the Refresh until your finger break old Battle.net.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
ciortas1 said:
Exort said:
No and no. All games are run on Blizzard's servers and there have been working hacks since beta, both drophacks and maphacks.
Do you understand what dedicated servers meant? Blizzard Server is dedicated servers...

"A dedicated hosting service, dedicated server, or managed hosting service is a type of Internet hosting in which the client leases an entire server not shared with anyone."

And I pretty sure Blizzard's server is not open to any one expect Battle.net

and not using P2P doesn't mean Hack proof, it is that P2P is very easy to Map hack, because the info is transfer though player's computer, if they have Map hack they can decode it to see what is the info send to them.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It will happen, it will just take a long time, some of these players have dedicated 10 years to Starcraft 1, they're not going to give that up in an instant, but a lot of the mid level pro players have already switched and with time that will turn into SC2 and they will own the whole country again

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
fanklok said:
[qoute]Still, knowing that you wasted $30 million has got to smart.[/qoute]

Please blizzard doesn't use wood logs in their fire places they use logs made from hundred dollar bills.
I'm pretty sure that is illegal.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Wow. Blizzards decision to switch to only Battle.net was stupid. I am surprised.

Oh wait, I'm not. Remind again why I need to connect to the internet to play with my brother who is not more than 30 ft away from me? And why I need to fully publish maps in order to test them with more than one person? Or why ALL OF THE #%$@ING MAPS REQUIRE A DOWNLOAD? Good Lord a friend of mine who is in the Marines literally could not play anything other than the campaign because of the stupid maps requiring them to be DL'd from B-net.

Blizzard, you are retarded.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
John Funk said:
It's actually slowly moving in Blizzard's favor; the major networks - and some of the superstars - are starting to switch over.

It's probably not nearly as quickly as big blue would have liked.
I don' see why they expected a lightning fast transition.

I don't recall Starcraft I being popular on that scale the very second it was released.

I always feel like major game developers are really over estimating just how good they are at what they do. Most, at their best, are just really exaggerated indie developers. Taking very basic concepts and masking it behind 200 million dollars in graphics.

Not that I don't like Blizzard, I'm fairly close to a blind fan of them, but at their core they are not inherently better than an indie developer. Neither is any other example I can think of off hand really.

It's the graphics that tend to separate the two "groups" more than content. (Graphically it's a gorgeous game as one would expect).

The overall investment of AAA titles is really in the biggest sink of any area they could invest.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
saruman31 said:
This is because the game is a piece of crap. You just CAN`T release the same product with 3 more pixels per unit and call it new and worthy for our century.
The game is the one thing blizzard managed to get right about the whole thing. This is a usual statement from someone who hasn't bothered to actually play the games.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Exort said:
fanklok said:
[qoute]Still, knowing that you wasted $30 million has got to smart.[/qoute]

Please blizzard doesn't use wood logs in their fire places they use logs made from hundred dollar bills.
I'm pretty sure that is illegal.
Oh it is but when you shit solid platinum Ferrari's who's going to call you on it?

ShinningDesertEagle

Oct 14, 2009
Darkong said:
A few things here;

Firstly, Starcraft:Brood War is very heavily established in South Korea, to expect SC2 to overtake it in its first year of release is at best naive and at worst, utterly stupid, you wouldn't expect to replace football or cricket with new sports over the course of a few months would you?

Secondly, it took SC:BW several years to attain the level of popularity it has now, in those terms SC2 is already way ahead of its predecessor on a global scale and its professional scene is waaaaaaaaaay ahead in viewership and the skll and profile of its competitors (compared to the oricinal at this point in its lifetime).

Also, why all the crowing from people over a pretty reactionary article (which is disappointing, I expect better from the Escapist)? Blizzard are one of the companies who we've come to expect very high levels of game quality from, sure Battle.Net 2.0 could be better, but its miles improved from when SC2 was in beta and is going to continue to be improved, lack of LAN is a pain but hey, if douchebags didn't pirate games then it wouldn't be necessary.
I was going to post something similar. Totally agree with you here.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
ciortas1 said:
Darkong said:
There's not really much to say after you basically say that you're content with being fucked over or just don't give a crap. Anything anyone ever says about a video game that they're not satisfied with can be 'countered' by a "They don't give a fuck about you, all they care about is money." I'm fine with that, but their product still sucks and the only reason they're not failing at sales is because, in this case, they're appealing - on every level possible - to the lowest common denominator, people who don't give enough of a shit to even understand what's a quality service and what's not. This may be good business, but it's not honorable business.

Even besides that, were Starcraft 2's sales anything spectacular due to the pirates' inability to play it multi-player? Were they even any higher than any Blizzard title, after it has this much popularity, would be expected to have with a simple CD-key protection?
You're projecting again, I never said that I was content, I specifically said that I hope things will get better and certain services be implemented, if you'd actually read my post you'd realise that but you're so busy harping on your point that you failed to notice that I actually agreed with a lot of what you said in the first place.

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
Jesus Phish said:
saruman31 said:
This is because the game is a piece of crap. You just CAN`T release the same product with 3 more pixels per unit and call it new and worthy for our century.
Guitar Hero, Tony Hawks, Madden, Fifa, Final Fantasy, <insert 90% of all other long running series here>.

I don't see everyones hang up with B.Net 2.0. Ok, there's no Lans. But you can still make a game and invite those you want to play with.

As for S.Korea, as the pros move over to SC2 you'll start seeing their fans buying new hardware to move over as well. And the specs aren't that bad if you play it on min settings, which still looks alot better than Sc1.
I don`t play nor like any of those titles. The point is that Blizzard is a huge sellout and SC2 is shit and completely non-innovative unlike his predecessor. It only confirms that the label sells and not the product; if the same game were to be released by anonstudioX it would had fallen into obscurity much more so than now.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
saruman31 said:
I don`t play nor like any of those titles. The point is that Blizzard is a huge sellout and SC2 is shit and completely non-innovative unlike his predecessor. It only confirms that the label sells and not the product; if the same game were to be released by anonstudioX it would had fallen into obscurity much more so than now.
A sell out? By release a game people wanted? And a game people are enjoying.

Are they selling out by releasing Diablo 3 too?

And of course a brand sells. Why do you think pepsi ships more units than unknown branded cola?

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
Jesus Phish said:
saruman31 said:
A sell out? By release a game people wanted? And a game people are enjoying.

Are they selling out by releasing Diablo 3 too?

And of course a brand sells. Why do you think pepsi ships more units than unknown branded cola?
People wanted an innovative title like its predecessor, not the same thing. Considering Blizzard`s enormous profit we should had got it. Since D2 i only know of Torchlight to be a big(successful, hardly) title in the genre.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So wait...you're saying that the terrible front-end setup Blizzard put in place for Starcraft 2, the lack of LAN or any offline support, and the forced sanctioning by Blizzard for any event/tourney involving StarCraft 2 is turning avid StarCraft fans away from the game? Impossible! Say it isn't so?

Seriously though, these are the primary reasons I've not picked up a copy my self. The front-end is just God awful. I can't even play on my own singleplayer profile unless I'm logged into Battle.net. I'd have to play via a guest account. What utter bullshit.

What in God's name was Blizzard thinking? Especially on the LAN issue. StarCraft's popularity and success came from it being LAN'd. Either at friends houses or for tourney's. Yanking it from II is the equivalent of yanking all guns from Halo. Sure, you can still play it online, but what's the point?