South Park: Episode 201

MADNESS4

Feb 10, 2010
Gxas said:
First off, don't insult me. It makes you look bad.

How am I wrong with my saying that they don't make social commentary? Tell me how they do?
First, I have not insulted you, if you take the tone of my comments as disrespectful, thats because they are, i dont know you so i dont respect you because you havent earned it.

Second, social commentary can be made both willingly and accidentally, meaning an artist can purposely make social commentary, or and audience can take from it what they will. even if it was true that matt and trey were only making a few yukks and never had any intention to provoke social thought, the fact that even one person finds it in there work makes it social commentary

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
MADNESS4 said:
First, I have not insulted you, if you take the tone of my comments as disrespectful, thats because they are, i dont know you so i dont respect you because you havent earned it.
I need to earn your respect? Sorry, but I don't want it.

Second, social commentary can be made both willingly and accidentally, meaning an artist can purposely make social commentary, or and audience can take from it what they will. even if it was true that matt and trey were only making a few yukks and never had any intention to provoke social thought, the fact that even one person finds it in there work makes it social commentary
Again, re-watch the "Scroty McBoogerballs" episode.

You, and everyone else who is making any sort of deal at all about this, are trying to read way too deep into what they're attempting to do.

MADNESS4

Feb 10, 2010
Gxas said:
I need to earn your respect? Sorry, but I don't want it.
and thats exactly why you will never get it. respect is a very valuable commodity, you may want to change your thinking on the subject

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
MADNESS4 said:
Gxas said:
First off, don't insult me. It makes you look bad.

How am I wrong with my saying that they don't make social commentary? Tell me how they do?
A new challenger has entered the ring.

That's not really how respect works around here bud. You should respect other posters unless they give you a decent reason not to.

MADNESS4

Feb 10, 2010
Vanguard_Ex said:
That's not really how respect works around here bud. You should respect other posters unless they give you a decent reason not to.
Strange, most possitions which command respect without question often take a long time to aquire, such as phds or judges or military officers or even presidents. i was unaware that Internet Superheros was one of those lol

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
MADNESS4 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Strange, most possitions which command respect without question often take a long time to aquire, such as phds or judges or military officers or even presidents. i was unaware that Internet Superheros was one of those lol
We're not talking about positions which command respect. I have as much of a duty to respect you on here as much as you do to anyone else, unless, like I said before, they give you a good reason not to. Of course you're never going to respect a made up name and a picture more than a military official, or even as much as one, but you should still be giving other posters their chance.

MADNESS4

Feb 10, 2010
Gxas said:
Respect has absolutely nothing to do with this. Grow a pair and acknowledge my arguments instead of covering your ears like a child.
if thats what you want, the fact that your trying to make an argument about how they dont make episodes to be read into and You Then Use One Of The Episodes to try and prove that point is a little comical to me, the irony blares as you read into scroty mcboogerballs and then attempt to reference it in an argument about not reading into there episodes. let me simply ask you this, What is the message you took out of scroty mcboogerballs?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Gxas said:
MADNESS4 said:
you mean that great big mistake you said, yep. Well that and I guess you [Gxas] saying matt and trey dont make social commentary, you couldnt be any more wrong about that
On wikipedia there's this statement from the creators from an interview with IGN:

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_Wars_Part_II

Q: Have you heard any reaction back from Seth MacFarlane or anyone from Family Guy over the jokes you made about them on "Cartoon Wars"? And is it safe to say your feelings on Family Guy are the same as Cartman's?

Trey Parker: What I can tell you...It's not just our opinion.

What they were talking about was a segment in the episode where Cartman actually specifically states that he (and the show itself) pokes fun at taboo subjects to make a point (unlike Family Guy that makes gag jokes with no clear desire to challenge a subject matter). I'll try and find a link to the segment.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
MADNESS4 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Don't be so naive. Respect is something that is earned. I could be a Doctor or a Judge, and nobody would respect me due to the decisions I take. Want respect? Give it first. For someone with a low post-count and a short stay-juration, you really need to learn to lurk before you post. Learn from people instead of being so confrontational. I'm saying this for YOUR benefit, otherwise your stay here will be shortlived. Also, I agree with what the other two were saying.

Please, if anything, just listen to the arguement and try to work around it instead of stating they are wrong and you are write. Nothing is ever that clear-cut.

MADNESS4

Feb 10, 2010
Vanguard_Ex said:
We're not talking about positions which command respect. I have as much of a duty to respect you on here as much as you do to anyone else, unless, like I said before, they give you a good reason not to. Of course you're never going to respect a made up name and a picture more than a military official, or even as much as one, but you should still be giving other posters their chance.
your not talking about respect as much as you mean just decent common courtesy, and you know what, i respect a man with common courtesy haha

ioxles

Nov 25, 2008
I haven't seen the ep, but I've tried. By god I've tried.

And one thing I've found out is that apparently the audio beeps were not in fact meant to be there at all.

Proof: http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/267116/

Now back to try to get outcast to run widescreen with infinite viewdistance with no access to the source, wish me luck!

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
MADNESS4 said:
if thats what you want, the fact that your trying to make an argument about how they dont make episodes to be read into and You Then Use One Of The Episodes to try and prove that point is a little comical to me, the irony blares as you read into scroty mcboogerballs and then attempt to reference it in an argument about not reading into there episodes. let me simply ask you this, What is the message you took out of scroty mcboogerballs?
An explicit statement in that episode was that people read too far into things. One example of purposeful social commentary, even though it is quite obviously common observation if anyone has half a mind.

Sure, I referenced an episode which sparked some irony. So what? Would you like me to find another example of something giving the same point? Like I said, it is common observation.

MADNESS4

Feb 10, 2010
StarStruckStrumpets said:
For someone with a low post-count and a short stay-juration
AND THERE IT IS, oh i was so waiting for one of you people to come in here and throw out, ROOK HOW MANY POSTS I HAS, THATS MAKING ME BETTER THEN U, this website is simply a conduit for people to communicate, the amount of posts i have does not make my words any more or less valid in this conversation, and visa versa

MADNESS4

Feb 10, 2010
Gxas said:
Would you like me to find another example
Dont think i dont like you gxas, theres nothing i enjoy more they a good debate and your holding up quite well, so if you do have other reference material id be more then glad to hear it

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
MADNESS4 said:
For someone with a low post-count and a short stay-juration
AND THERE IT IS, oh i was so waiting for one of you people to come in here and throw out, ROOK HOW MANY POSTS I HAS, THATS MAKING ME BETTER THEN U, this website is simply a conduit for people to communicate, the amount of posts i have does not make my words any more or less valid in this conversation, and visa versa
If that was the way it came across, I apologise, I didn't mean it like that. Your posts don't make you less of a valued member, but your attitude towards people does. People with low post counts often have less to look at when it comes to moderator decisions, so any dealings will be swift, whereas someone like myself has a record of behaviour that can be reviewed before I could be dealt with, benefit of the doubt etc.

As I said originally, try to be less confrontational, I don't like it when people get banned, it makes me sad, especially when they are valuable members of the community. Just try to be a little hot-headed. If someone judges your post, then deal with it accordingly instead of disregarding everything they say.

I'm not a bad guy, I'm here to help.

-S.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
MADNESS4 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
your not talking about respect as much as you mean just decent common courtesy, and you know what, i respect a man with common courtesy haha
"Respect: a courteous expression (by word or deed) of esteem or regard"

Any difference between is pretty pedantic.

Schneizel

Apr 26, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
"Respect: a courteous expression (by word or deed) of esteem or regard"

Any difference between is pretty pedantic.
I think Madness refers to the concept of respect as thinking "this guy doesn't suck" and doesn't consider it the same as "this guy sucks, but I'll speak politely to him".

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
MADNESS4 said:
Gxas said:
Would you like me to find another example
Dont think i dont like you gxas, theres nothing i enjoy more they a good debate and your holding up quite well, so if you do have other reference material id be more then glad to hear it
I'm not taking it as you don't like me, I just feel (not so much anymore) that you aren't taking my argument at all. in my eyes, bringing up respect felt like an easy change of subject that you thought I'd fall for. It pissed me off, I won't lie. You don't know how many people try to do that to me because they really have no basis on their end of the argument.

Unfortunately, it is late and I have class early tomorrow, so I will not be continuing this debate.

On a more personal note, I would take what Vanguard Ex and StarStruckStrumpets are saying to heart. All three of us have been around for quite a while and know (for the most part) what the mods look for in terms of suspensions/banning.

No matter the first impression, the majority of us here on this site really enjoy newer users, so long as you learn from your original mistakes.

MADNESS4

Feb 10, 2010
moderator decisions, so any dealings will be swift, whereas someone like myself has a record of behaviour that can be reviewed before I could be dealt with, benefit of the doubt etc.
i would never post anything inflammatory or offensive as to procure moderator wrath, but say i was to be banned simply for providing argumentative statements, that would seem a little outrageous, people argue, its human nature and i find it exciting, oh and my words arent that heated, its just type on a screen. and thank you for your concern i might add