South Park Studios Fights THQ Over Sale of The Stick of Truth

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
I misread the number as 2275 million :p
Just me or does decimal point and the two kinda blur together

observe 2.0 20

2,275,0000 isn't that unreasonable
2275 million how ever, that would be insane.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i personally couldn't care less about south park its the other games/ips that i'm worried about

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Blablahb said:
Gilhelmi said:
No, No, No, They want assurances that the License will not be sold to someone that South Park Studios would object seriously to. Like EA. Can you imagine how EA (or any other major, we only want money, company) would butcher the game? That is truly horrifying to South Park Studios.

I hope they are successful.
Also, but it spoke quite clearly of getting money from THQ. If it was just a copyright issue there'd be no case, as they already hold the rights to Southpark, and could withdraw permission in case of a sale, if the possibility of that was even agreed upon in the first place.
I understand it as, They own the general rights to South Park, but leased (is that the right word?) the video game rights on a more permanent basis.

Ya know what, I do not understand any of this. I will let the courts and lawyers (who have read the contracts and understand them) give me the answer.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Blablahb said:
Hazzard said:
What does South Park studios get out of this? Because surely they want the game to be released and then their brand gets attention and people might watch their show a bit more.
Basically they're trying to extort THQ some money before it blows up.

And if the court has a brain they'll deny that, because favouring one debtor heavily just before a bankruptcy or when one is close is considered a bad practise.
I feel like you (and plenty of people here) didn't actually read.

"In addition, the Deal Memo also allows South Park Studio to repurchase "all elements of the South Park game and related products" provided it pays THQ an amount equal to whatever funding and costs it accrued while developing the title."

How is paying them the cost they put into trying to make this game extortion?

The entire post seems entirely reasonable and much nicer than just about anyone acts in these situations.

Edit: I read it again and I still have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
theultimateend said:
Blablahb said:
Hazzard said:
What does South Park studios get out of this? Because surely they want the game to be released and then their brand gets attention and people might watch their show a bit more.
Basically they're trying to extort THQ some money before it blows up.

And if the court has a brain they'll deny that, because favouring one debtor heavily just before a bankruptcy or when one is close is considered a bad practise.
I feel like you (and plenty of people here) didn't actually read.

"In addition, the Deal Memo also allows South Park Studio to repurchase "all elements of the South Park game and related products" provided it pays THQ an amount equal to whatever funding and costs it accrued while developing the title."

How is paying them the cost they put into trying to make this game extortion?

The entire post seems entirely reasonable and much nicer than just about anyone acts in these situations.

Edit: I read it again and I still have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
People love to rant and rave about the topic without reading it. Usually the common theme is read the title, read the bolded line, skip the article and click comments, read a few, make up your own opinion based on what you think it was about.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
Baldr said:
RicoADF said:
I find it difficult to sympathize with a studio that's produced nothing interesting to me, ever, taking what appears to be a cheap shot at a company that does produce things I'm interested in but is in serious trouble.
So the "things and people I like are always right and those I dislike are always wrong" argument? Wonderful.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I have no desire to work out precisely which entity is being the bigger dick in this situation, all I know is that this news means the game likely will not be coming out any time soon.

The writing was sort of on the wall when THQ was floundering with its finances, but now it has been made an undeniable truth.

I seriously doubt this game will come out at all. The dream is dead, love is over etc.

kaiserkreb

Apr 7, 2008
Gilhelmi said:
Blablahb said:
Gilhelmi said:
No, No, No, They want assurances that the License will not be sold to someone that South Park Studios would object seriously to. Like EA. Can you imagine how EA (or any other major, we only want money, company) would butcher the game? That is truly horrifying to South Park Studios.

I hope they are successful.
Also, but it spoke quite clearly of getting money from THQ. If it was just a copyright issue there'd be no case, as they already hold the rights to Southpark, and could withdraw permission in case of a sale, if the possibility of that was even agreed upon in the first place.
I understand it as, They own the general rights to South Park, but leased (is that the right word?) the video game rights on a more permanent basis.

Ya know what, I do not understand any of this. I will let the courts and lawyers (who have read the contracts and understand them) give me the answer.
You're in the ballpark. I'm reading that they had a clause in their original deal that prohibits THQ from handing the rights to a different company unless they OK it basically. It also states that they can retrieve the license and pay THQ any costs incurred during their handling of it so it reverts back to them, (SPS) so they can take it to the publisher of their choice. This isn't difficult stuff here. Not sure why half the forum has reading comprehension issues. They're well within their rights to object it going to Ubisoft, and I don't blame them, with all the DRM fuck-ups and general anti consumer attitude over there.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
maxben said:
Lunar Templar said:
Baldr said:
RicoADF said:
I find it difficult to sympathize with a studio that's produced nothing interesting to me, ever, taking what appears to be a cheap shot at a company that does produce things I'm interested in but is in serious trouble.
So the "things and people I like are always right and those I dislike are always wrong" argument? Wonderful.
less 'they're wrong' and more 'not worth listening to', though given who actually ended up with the IP rights to South Park, i'd be pissed if i was them to, though doesn't stop me from laughing, far as I'm concerned Ubisoft is the perfect place for a crappy IP like South Park

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
maxben said:
Lunar Templar said:
Baldr said:
RicoADF said:
less 'they're wrong' and more 'not worth listening to', though given who actually ended up with the IP rights to South Park, i'd be pissed if i was them to, though doesn't stop me from laughing, far as I'm concerned Ubisoft is the perfect place for a crappy IP like South Park
Which is the same thing. If you can convince anyone of a difference you'd be the best lawyer in existence.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
maxben said:
Lunar Templar said:
maxben said:
Lunar Templar said:
Baldr said:
RicoADF said:
Which is the same thing. If you can convince anyone of a difference you'd be the best lawyer in existence.
nah, I'm not cut out to be a lawyer, I have an issue with knowingly lieing to people, and it's not the same thing, and you should really be able to see the difference.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
maxben said:
Lunar Templar said:
maxben said:
Lunar Templar said:
Baldr said:
RicoADF said:
nah, I'm not cut out to be a lawyer, I have an issue with knowingly lieing to people, and it's not the same thing, and you should really be able to see the difference.
Using different words to represent the same general idea does not a difference make. For example, choosing to use the word "jump" or the word "hop".
I'll give you another example:
1. I hate South Park and love THQ, hence I will not listen to South Park and will listen to THQ
2. I hate South Park and love THQ, hence I will believe THQ is in the right and ignore South Park's position.
3. I hate South park and love THQ, hence I will not believe South Park is in the right and will believe in THQ's position
4. I hate South park and love THQ, hence I will listen to THQ and ignore South Park's position
The predicates of all four make the same point.
And I won't take offense at your jibe at lawyers even though I am studying to be one :)

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
maxben said:
Using different words to represent the same general idea does not a difference make. For example, choosing to use the word "jump" or the word "hop".
I'll give you another example:
1. I hate South Park and love THQ, hence I will not listen to South Park and will listen to THQ
2. I hate South Park and love THQ, hence I will believe THQ is in the right and ignore South Park's position.
3. I hate South park and love THQ, hence I will not believe South Park and will believe in THQ's position
4. I hate South park and love THQ, hence I will listen to THQ and ignore South Park's position
The predicates of all four make the same point.
And I won't take offense at your jibe at lawyers even though I am studying to be one :)
well fine, be all lawyer-y about it then :p

I'll be over here, with popcorn watching the fallout from Ubisoft getting the South Park IP :/ and morning the loss of Vigil tbh

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I was so looking forward to this game, and now it'll at least be delayed if not removed entirely. I have only 1 thing to say:

Really though, THQ is just being an ass here. If everything in this article is true, then THQ doesn't have a leg to stand on at all. Besides, 2 & 1/4 million dollars are going to them? Considering that their bankruptcy means that anyone they sell any of their IP to could buy it for a relative pittance, 2&1/4 million is a forture compared to what they could expect to get for this IP from anyone else.

pillinjer

Feb 12, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Considering that their bankruptcy means that anyone they sell any of their IP to could buy it for a relative pittance, 2&1/4 million is a forture compared to what they could expect to get for this IP from anyone else.
That isnt strictly true. The Administrator has a duty to get the best price so the creditors get their money (which includes the administrators themselves). If THQ is correct and they can sell to anyone, South Park has put in an offer of 2.275 million dollars. Ubisoft could bid 2.3 million dollars and get the game. I might be wrong of course but that is what it looks like with very few details.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
pillinjer said:
immortalfrieza said:
Considering that their bankruptcy means that anyone they sell any of their IP to could buy it for a relative pittance, 2&1/4 million is a forture compared to what they could expect to get for this IP from anyone else.
That isnt strictly true. The Administrator has a duty to get the best price so the creditors get their money (which includes the administrators themselves). If THQ is correct and they can sell to anyone, South Park has put in an offer of 2.275 million dollars. Ubisoft could bid 2.3 million dollars and get the game. I might be wrong of course but that is what it looks like with very few details.
Wouldn't the fact that THQ is going bankrupt mean that whoever wants to purchase their assets basically has them by the balls?

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
I might be the only one here thinking this, but THANK GOD. Do you know who was going to buy the game? Ubisoft. And considering South Park's target audience is teenagers and pretty much anyone who might visit the pirate bay, it's easy to assume they would put as much DRM as possible. Honestly, when I read about the deal I was sure I wasn't going to buy the game, but especially after this, if they can release it I'm buying this game full price.

THQ doesn't exactly have the moral/legal high ground either. Yeah it sucks the company is going down in flames but you honor your agreements, not take as many as you can down with you.