Sovngarde Song

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I was just listening to some of that Imaginareum (the only other place I've seen that word is in relation to the Terry Gilliam movie)album MoS mentioned.
Holy shit, I'm picking that up after work.
It would be my theme music if I ran around the subway in plate mail and a huge two handed battle ax.
Sadly I don't so my theme music is really much closer to Tom Waits' Rain Dogs.

Thank you MoS for illuminating us.

LonelyWizzard

Mar 14, 2011
I couldn't bring myself to pirate this song either, so that damneded;y talented Gav mad me part with a whole euro! Damn his magnificence!

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Angry Gavin
He is humorous.

I've never understood that criticism of "you should change your style more." I see it on almost every one of your videos. While you do default to a more rock-like style, each song is different enough that I just don't get that complaint. Maybe in reference to the Grind/Clay Carmine but those spots seemed more like a throwback. Just about every playlist I make, no matter the genre, has one of your songs in it.

And the feminist who can after you? That's a direct reference to the game. And in that setting, the standard term would be 'sons' or 'men.' Not to mention the fact that children/daughters have multiple syllables, so the pacing would have been different. But offering to rewrite your song? That took (I'm intentionally using this in the hopes that person is reading this) balls. Stupid, idiotic, and egotistical, but it was still a bold move. I would not have been as nice as you were if someone offered to do that to something I put weeks into.

And more metal focused vikings just makes sense. Let's see. The group that set their hair on fire to intimidate enemies, who prided themselves on having large, powerful weapons, you think they'd play softly?

Also, I had no idea Morrowind was an all synth soundtrack. That's really cool. Oh, and I agree about the Human Revolution/Crysis 2 themes. They did an excellent job of getting me excited every time I started either one.

It seemed like there was more negative feedback in this one, but as stated at the top, it was certainly an entertaining read. Rarely do I read 4 page articles, but I've read every one of yours. They're just fun, and the laid back style and direct comments about your good and bad criticisms are almost never boring. You never come off as pretentious, but instead as someone who wants to improve, but has no patience for someone wasting your time (Suddenly, I've become self conscious about this post). I look forward to hearing what you can do with your new tech.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I laughed and facepalmed at the pair of children of the snow comments. I fully expect the same person to be up in arms that the daedric princes consist of both male, female, and squidmonsters, and how this nomenclature is incorrect. Oh well. What are you gonna do, eh? Apart from stare dumbly at the decidedly small way that some people want to change the world. Equality is about so much more, and yet we're hung up on the nomenclature. Brilliant.

What, no teaser? Awww...

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
The Thnips!!
You know what your problem is? You have a larger vocal range than me. Because of this when I try to sing along with Sovngarde I sound like an idiot.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I liked how you avoided your usual formula of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-middle-chorus

True, but I still don't see why people have a problem with that formula. More than likely most of your favorite bands use it all the time.
I think that was my comment, and I wasn't trying to say it was inherently a bad thing (formulas exist for a reason, I've argued for that many times on these forums), just that most of the recent songs followed it, so the variation was nice.

Unless I'm remembering things I never did, then I'll just look crazy here.

Susan Arendt said:
There must be polka.
+1. Hey, Rayman Origins came out, that's decently polkaish.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Irridium said:
The Morrowind soundtrack was all synthetic?

Holy shit.
Oblivion's was too. I remember listening to a podcast interview with Jeremy Soule, and when he said that, I was blown away. He said that Oblivion's soundtrack was played on about 35 Pentium 4s. I'd imagine that Supreme Commander's was as well.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
One of my favorites that you've done. you've come a long way since the I first saw a video of yours. (The first one I saw was Commander Shepard, which I still like.) The transitions of style had great impact, even if I'd never really appreciated any strain of Metal, or even heard a chord of Viking Metal. The visuals were amazing as well.

Like I said, you did a great job. However I don't think the one critic who suggested a deeper voice might have added something to the song was wrong. That's one of the perils of doing so much on your own. I'm glad you are finding a way to work with some other artists. You have done some freak'n amazing stuff on your own, but some times a different vocal range might make your productions even better.

(However the self important idiot who suggested she could make your song better for you can be safely ignored, or mocked, with impunity.)

Keep up the great work.

I've even added Viking Metal to Pandora list, but it doesn't seem to be finding any for me with vocals I can tolerate. The music is pretty good, but the deep growling voices are pretty awful. So who the heck can suggest some actual songs or artists?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I was hoping to catch you out with your 'criticism should be constructive' remark, but you were too smart and just about toed the line :(

I'm really glad this song has come out as well as it has, it seems like your poured so much into it, having 4 million ish people love it must be a pretty amazing feeling (never mind a huge relief). Over the course of my life nowhere near 4 million people will ever know I exist and you've had a chance to fractionally improve that many lives and create something loved by that many people

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
Great song. I feel so awesome listening to it.

With games to base songs on on, I'd suggest Saints Row 3, Red Orchestra 2 or Tribes: Ascend

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Just curious but have you ever changed the pitch of your voice? I don't know if this qualifies as autotune, or whatever, but for example being in the film industry I've worked on a film and the sound engineer for that project took some voice samples for my animated film and increased the pitch or whatnot by an octave. When someone says "deeper voice" I can see something like that being an option in future, though, I don't know how well it works in practice and/or whether you that sort of thing would appeal to you.
nah, I'd consider that cheating. The only time I would do that is if I was making something very jokey and doing a female impersonation or something

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Gavin likes Nightwish? :D Well that's awesome!
And seriously, to those people saying that guitars should not be in medieval songs...just get out of here >>

Good to hear there's another song on the way :D

Orwellian37

Dec 22, 2009
Since pretty much every game you've written a song for is very well known, usually AAA, would you consider doing a song over an indie game? In particular, I'd like to see one for Dear Esther, since it's getting an official release and everything.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
I love Nightwish as well, it's very good music for letting your imagination go wild :D

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I'm going to go out on a limb and say he should do one over the BFME series, cause I'm pretty sure he could pull something epic off

MrLS

May 17, 2009
The criticism that it should be sung in a deeper voice does strike false to me as personally I found it perfect for the song and it's nordic theme.
I know atleast old Swedish folkmusic very often use layering vocals with bassy vocals in the back, abit lighter voices in the middle and a lighter voice to top it off to create that very nice blend in vocals.

But yeah, I really loved this song and it's not only one of my favourite MoS songs, it's just plain out one of my favourite songs.

Keep on rocking the free world, Gav.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
YOU ARE WORKING ON SOMETHING WITH MALUKAH?!?!?!!?!?! HOW IN THE WORLD AM I GONNA LISTEN TO THAT WITHOUT DYING FROM PURE HAPPINESS?!?!! D: I read that and emediantly stopped reading to comment, PULEEEEAAAAAAASE post it on the escapist ._. by the gods where is time travel when it is truely needed. *Nerdgasm* I am fuly expecting my eardrums will stop working when i hear that song since i will never hear anything better EVER.

EDIT:

OT: Now that im calm i just remembered. Listening to Sovengarde Song made me want to run out of my house, yell at things, then expect them to go flying. Adrenaline rush through music much?

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
You're doing a project with Malukah? I'll admit I gave a small fangirl squeal of delight reading that. It'll certainly be something to look forward to. :D Is it going to be another Skyrim-inspired song?

EDIT: If you really want to scare you're stupid critics a little, you should think of doing an all-out Silent Hill song. :p