Sovngarde Song

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Love how you bluntly tear into non-constructive criticism, refreshing to see that it doesn't go ignored.

And odd coincidence, this article was put out on the same day I obsessively listened to the very song you discussed.
Too much Skyrim I think, even when I wasn't playing it I couldn't escape it.

At any rate, keep up the good work.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Volan said:
You're doing a project with Malukah? I'll admit I gave a small fangirl squeal of delight reading that. It'll certainly be something to look forward to. :D Is it going to be another Skyrim-inspired song?
It is indeed! It's called 'Legends Of The Frost' and it's kind of soft and mellow but hearty and epic at the same time... hard to describe.

My voice sounds very booming and deep in it and Malukah, well... she has the voice of a goddess so you can't really go wrong there. I hope people like it!

One thing people don't realise about Malukah though - she's actually a talented producer as well as performer. Although I wrote the song, she had some great ideas for its arrangement and feel.

Lexxicator

May 3, 2011
that last one made me laugh soooooo hard I almost fell from my chair

And when you said people uploaded "Sovngarde Song" to their youtube channels and claiming it's theirs I was like "whaaat?! people do that?! is there's no hope left for humanity?". Srly that's just awful.

Also, thanks for Imaginaerium by Nightwish and Deconstruction by Devin Townsend. Never heard thous, but now that I did I really liked them.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
"You need to change up your style once in a while."

Oh how I laughed!

I have been listening to pretty much every one of your songs continuously on my iPod and never before have I ever heard such a variety from one artist. Even more impressive is the fact that I love every single one, even those from genres I wouldn't normally like. That sir, is a testament to your great talent.

Wow there's some terrible forms of "criticism" going on there. That girl with the lyrics problem really needs to take that stick out her arse.

EDIT: OMG that just sank into my brain... Malukah and Miracle... Malukah and Miracle... Malukah and...

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Volan said:
You're doing a project with Malukah? I'll admit I gave a small fangirl squeal of delight reading that. It'll certainly be something to look forward to. :D Is it going to be another Skyrim-inspired song?
It is indeed! It's called 'Legends Of The Frost' and it's kind of soft and mellow but hearty and epic at the same time... hard to describe.

My voice sounds very booming and deep in it and Malukah, well... she has the voice of a goddess so you can't really go wrong there. I hope people like it!

One thing people don't realise about Malukah though - she's actually a talented producer as well as performer. Although I wrote the song, she had some great ideas for its arrangement and feel.
Gonna be honest here, and say that I didn't recognise the name Malukah. One Google search later and I literally punched the air in joy! I listened to her cover SO MANY TIMES! I have a very old mp3 player which I use if I want to go a walk somewhere, it's cheap so if I lose it, no biggie. It consists of you, Two Steps From Hell and her cover. That's it.

Any hints as to when it'll be released? I'm really looking forward to it now!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
TornadoFive said:
Gonna be honest here, and say that I didn't recognise the name Malukah. One Google search later and I literally punched the air in joy! I listened to her cover SO MANY TIMES! I have a very old mp3 player which I use if I want to go a walk somewhere, it's cheap so if I lose it, no biggie. It consists of you, Two Steps From Hell and her cover. That's it.

Any hints as to when it'll be released? I'm really looking forward to it now!
Hopefully over the next week or two. There are a few things to organize like artwork, video etc... but it's sounding great :)

Proverbial Jon said:
"

I have been listening to pretty much every one of your songs continuously on my iPod and never before have I ever heard such a variety from one artist. Even more impressive is the fact that I love every single one, even those from genres I wouldn't normally like. That sir, is a testament to your great talent.

EDIT: OMG that just sank into my brain... Malukah and Miracle... Malukah and Miracle... Malukah and...
Thanks :) COmments like that makes all the hard work worthwhile!

Preston_r

Feb 17, 2010
I don't have time to critique this song, since me and my GF are far too busy singing it to each other at random times to find any faults. :) ^.^

Arctic Fox

Cool Customer
Apr 14, 2009
You said that you listened to a lot of Nordic Folk music for inspiration and enjoyed it. As this song has piqued my interest in those kinds of songs, are there any bands/artists would you suggest that I start with? Did you have a strong favorite, or did you just run the gamut (of Nordic music)?

This is one of my favorite songs.

mjcabooseblu

Apr 29, 2011
My only problem with these responses is that you DON'T name names. Because FUCK anonymity, when you're being a dickhead, everyone should know.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Oh, nice...In your trek through Scandinavian folk music, did you happen to discover Hedningarna, Garmarna, or Gjallarhorn? Three of my very favorite bands there. (They're more reinterpretations of folk music than traditional folk music, but it still counts.)

salinv

Mar 17, 2010
mjcabooseblu said:
My only problem with these responses is that you DON'T name names. Because FUCK anonymity, when you're being a dickhead, everyone should know.
This, just... this.

I found the metal part of the song to be lacking and not really fitting of the game in question

As music is completely subjective I can happily say that's perfectly fine with me. However, in defence of the metal(-ish) part, I believe personally no other music style better captures and reflects the Viking, Nordic spirit and soul. There's even an entire genre devoted to it.
I think this was my comment, though my memory is known for being a little vague at times.. I've honestly been eagerly anticipating this article to see if it included it, seeing how you similarly responded to it initially. I've got to be honest though, since the time I made that gut reaction comment, I've actually listened to this song several more times. I've come to really quite enjoy the song in its entirety. I guess it was really just different enough to initially put me out of my comfort zone (I don't listen to metal).

Whenever I play Skyrim, the timer I use to remind me to stop playing plays this song. No better way to wrench myself away from a great game than a great piece of music.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
pardon me, but your response to the question of whether or not you "play under the influence" kind of offends me to be honest. not that i care if you use drugs or not, but saying that you don't like to be around people who use drugs and then in the same breath saying you have no problem playing after a couple of drinks, well for one it doesn't make sense because alcohol is a drug, which i think a lot of people forget for some reason, and also your statement sort of implies that people who use "drugs" are less pleasant than those who drink, i guess it just seems unfair that you would alienate one group and not another, sorry for the rant loved the song btw

thebookster

May 2, 2011
I'm happy to say that I got your album over the holidays, and enjoyed it a lot! Do you have any idea of how often you will officially release albums?

Also, I would love to hear about Wheatley's Song. It is one of my favorites!

Griever

Sleeping Lionheart
Mar 30, 2012
Can i just say i have huge respect for Gavin, his music is simply amazing. As a musician myself i sometimes find it difficult to match lyrics to music and conequently end up with folders full of poetry (lol). I purchases the album Level 1 and all of the Singles not present on that album from iTunes. Seriously Gavin you're awesome, i'll be following you and buying your music for as long as you'll allow it!