Space Marine Director Talks Plot for Would Be Sequels

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Space Marine Director Talks Plot for Would Be Sequels

Disgraced main character would have "gone rogue" in the follow-up before rallying soldiers to his cause in game three.

The former director of 2011's Space Marine revealed he had a three game story arc planned out for the series. Space Marine, based on the Warhammer 40,000 setting, cast players as Titus, one of the titular chainsword wielding Ork-slayers. "I had some big plans for Titus," Raphael van Lierop, formerly of Space Marine developer Relic Entertainment, told the Penny Arcade Report.

Unfortunately, the business realities of publisher THQ skewered any chance that players would receive resolution to the game's cliffhanger ending. "Sadly, THQ was already starting to fall apart by then and it became clear that Space Marine 2 wasn't going to happen. I was pretty heartbroken about that," van Lierop said. THQ declared bankruptcy near the end of 2012, with its case <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126056-THQ-Bankruptcy-Case-Ends>just wrapping up this summer.

So, what would have happened to Titus had his story continued? The ending to his game - and, obviously, there are spoilers ahead - saw the soldier dragged away in chains under charges of heresy after battling the forces of Chaos. "The second part of his story was to focus on a 'Titus Unleashed' plot ... basically there were forces arrayed against him that would see his loyalty to the Adeptus Astartes pushed to its limit, and his reaction would be to kind of 'go rogue,'" van Lierop said. "He would survive, and come back even stronger in the third game, where other Space Marines still loyal to him would rally around him and he'd return to 'clean house,' but as the head of a brand new Chapter that we would build around him."

Van Lierop is currently hard at work at his new studio, Hinterland. Their first game, The Long Dark wrapped up its Kickstarter campaign earlier this week netting over $250,000 of its $200,000 goal. The studio also announced that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128695-Solid-Snakes-Voice-Actor-Joins-The-Long-Dark-Team>David "Solid Snake" Hayter would be among the game's voice cast.

Source: <a href=http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/this-is-what-would-have-happened-in-space-marine-2-and-3>The Penny Arcade Report

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Is it really that impossible? Surely someone had bought the license.

I'd really like to see another space marine, it's one of my personal favourite action games of the last few years.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Shit man, I really enjoyed this game... especially the main character. Sure, he was a bit generic but had enough sense to break from the traditional space marine mold when situation warranted.

And he was voiced by Mark Fucking Strong who knocked it out of the park.

Hmm, an entire chapter built around Mark Strong. This is something I could have dug.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I always felt like I was the only one that really enjoyed Space Marine, seeing these comments kinda raised my hopes a little. Would have loved to see another Space Marine game, it was one of the only shooters that actually felt like it had some weight to it, that and it is probably one of the most faithful Warhammer games out there.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
D: aww ... that sounds awesome. shame I'll never get to play it, least I still have Space Marine I guess

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
I would really like another Space Marine game, but I'm having a hard time seeing how that plot could fit into W40K lore...
even thinking about going rogue is a one way ticket to "Exterminate on Site" with the Inquisition, especially with the Astartes, the "Emperors Finest" have an image to maintain afterall. And cleaning house with the Ultramarines? The post children of the Imperium? That strikes me as something far too significant to get away with in a third party game, maybe if they'd created their own chapter (or just stuck with the Blood Ravens, more than enough history and speculation with them concerning loyalties)/

EmilShmiengura

Feb 17, 2009
Well now, we can't all have nice things, now can we? Who in the gaming community can be sorry about this dying out considering we got a new pokemon game in 2013!!! And a hot debate about mechanics in the upcoming zelda!! Oh, sorry, would have said more but I see a new thread about that anita person and I have to write something.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
EmilShmiengura said:
Well now, we can't all have nice things, now can we? Who in the gaming community can be sorry about this dying out considering we got a new pokemon game in 2013!!! And a hot debate about mechanics in the upcoming zelda!! Oh, sorry, would have said more but I see a new thread about that anita person and I have to write something.
Space marine > Zelda
Of all the times to run out of money, leaving us all with a cliffhanger. The game broke away from so many modern shooters like Gears of War or Halo with its lack of cover and heavy use of melee. Who needs cover when you have more armor than a tank? It was a great game and I so badly hope they find a way to continue it.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Such a shame,

Thought the game was great and both the story and gameplay did an excellent portrayal of the 40k universe.

Hope that we'll see Warhammer games like this again in the future.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Meh, that kind of story arc has been done to death. I'd like to see him go rogue and had the third game have the main character completely join the side of evil. Willingly.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Doclector said:
Is it really that impossible? Surely someone had bought the license.
Its to my understanding that Relic made Space Marine under the same license that allowed them to produce Dawn of War.

Anyway, theese revealations are certainly an entry for the What Could Have Been page on TvTropes.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Morti said:
I would really like another Space Marine game, but I'm having a hard time seeing how that plot could fit into W40K lore...
even thinking about going rogue is a one way ticket to "Exterminate on Site" with the Inquisition, especially with the Astartes, the "Emperors Finest" have an image to maintain afterall. And cleaning house with the Ultramarines? The post children of the Imperium? That strikes me as something far too significant to get away with in a third party game, maybe if they'd created their own chapter (or just stuck with the Blood Ravens, more than enough history and speculation with them concerning loyalties)/
Depends on what lore you follow though. I don't know about the codexes themselves(haven't read them, just secondhand information), but I know a few of the Black Library books talk about Death Oaths as a punishment put on one(or more) of the Chapter's Marines. Basically a 'You are no longer a member of the chapter until you die in a forgone battle or complete the task we place on you' punishment. Which most likely would have been put on Titus if the Ultramarines grab him from the Inquisition, hence the "Go rogue" bit in the article. No longer of the Ultramarines and under the eyes of the Inquisition, one wouldn't really have much to turn to. And why he'd get put into a chapter creation company, so he'd "clean house" by making the chapter in his way instead of others.

But yeah, I've not heard of Death Oath characters in the codexes, so if one doesn't follow Black Library, then yeah. This would be considered a bit of a lore breaking issue.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
RatherDull said:
So, in other words, he was accused of heresy and the Inquisition was absolutely right.
The Inquisition is ALWAYS right.

EDIT: Guess I should say something about the actual story. I'm kind of glad they cleared that up. While I loved speculating on what happened to Titus, I like to see that they had plans to continue the character. However, "going rogue" is a strange turn of events. Maybe he can join Alpha Legion. After all, they did write the Codex Astartes...

(ducks incoming nerd bullets)

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
el_kabong said:
RatherDull said:
So, in other words, he was accused of heresy and the Inquisition was absolutely right.
The Inquisition is ALWAYS right.

EDIT: Guess I should say something about the actual story. I'm kind of glad they cleared that up. While I loved speculating on what happened to Titus, I like to see that they had plans to continue the character. However, "going rogue" is a strange turn of events. Maybe he can join Alpha Legion. After all, they did write the Codex Astartes...

(ducks incoming nerd bullets)
To answer the call for nerd bullets, didn't Roboute Gulliman, the Primarch of the Ultramarines, write it?

And meant it exactly as Titus sees it in the game, but which was twisted over the years into the absolute dogma of Space Marine tactics?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
gigastar said:
Xan Krieger said:
Who needs cover when you have more armor than a tank?
Think twice before saying things like that in 40K.

*image snip*

Jusy sayin.
Alright, more armor than a leman russ tank. Also I'm not a fan of the baneblade, I prefer the shadowsword because it can knock a titan on its ass.

This reminds me, I demand that tanks play a larger role in the sequel when they do get funding for it.