Spec Ops Multiplayer Is a "Cancerous Growth"

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Rocklobster99 said:
Ghonzor said:
scw55 said:
I wished he didn't use cancer as an analogy. It was bad taste.
I was more concerned about the use of "raped."
Cancerous is a fitting analogy...rape should never really be used in that fashion.
He's actually using it properly.

Rape: an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation
I understand what the word means.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9766-The-R-Word

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
I think it's important to listen to the people who actually make these games, like Mr. Davis, or what Masahiro Ito (with his comments about Silent Hill HD). They know the projects, and what is beneficial for the quality of the experience. Any interest I have in The Line (and I fully intend to play it, when I can find a copy!) comes from its good story and refreshing take on the third person shooter genre.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Rocklobster99 said:
Ghonzor said:
Rocklobster99 said:
Ghonzor said:
scw55 said:
I wished he didn't use cancer as an analogy. It was bad taste.
I was more concerned about the use of "raped."
Cancerous is a fitting analogy...rape should never really be used in that fashion.
He's actually using it properly.

Rape: an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation
I understand what the word means.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9766-The-R-Word
What, do you think the article should have a trigger warning?

Or would you rather he said something different?
I did clearly say I didn't think "rape" should be used in that fashion, right?
There's your answer.
There are other ways to express what he needed to get across.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
daibakuha said:
A lot of people said the same thing about the multiplayer for Mass Effect 3, yet people still play it.
Yeah. It's almost like...It's another exception or something.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Lol at all the posters here who have said they noticed the game at a multiplayer- perhaps the dev's didn't want you to find it because they knew it would be shoddy?

By the sound of things 2K hired a bunch of people who don't actually know anything about gaming but armed with sales figures and profit projections they believed that they should clone COD's multiplayer.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Gorilla Gunk said:
Regardless, still a lot of whining and people applauding a developers laziness. In fact, finding out another developer had to do the multiplayer just makes this whole situation worse in my view.
Why, if I may ask? I mean, they were focused on the single player and 2K games says "Hey noodleheads, your game must have a MP mode. You'll be working with this dev". It's not the first time it happens and honestly I think if a MP mode *must* be shoehorned, at least have a different dev make it.

If they had been forced to make both the SP and MP, there would be a huge mess with schedules, lots of work overload, budget issues and the campaign could have been an inferior product because of that, while the MP could have just barely worked at all. Having a different dev is the less of two evils because at least you have the SP.

Nickolai77 said:
By the sound of things 2K hired a bunch of people who don't actually know anything about gaming
They were like hired mercs. It doesn't matter if they knew anything about gaming or not, they had an objective that just needed to be completed at any cost.

I can't blame Darkside Studios because of the simple fact that I have no idea of what they were told or what they actually had control on. I don't know their budget and deadlines.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Analogy is indeed bad... Multiplayer doesn't affect campaign at all in case of The Line. Call it piece of crap strapped together with main game, but tis no cancer.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
daibakuha said:
You know, I like this guys statements. You know what I don't like? How everyone is going to use this guy as a reason for ragging on why things shouldn't have mutliplayer. Multiplayer isn't needed for every game, but it can drastically enhance the longevity and fun of others.
Well said squire. Couldn't agree more.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Schadrach said:
daibakuha said:
Multiplayer isn't needed for every game, but it can drastically enhance the longevity and fun of others.
The first part of that doesn't get said *nearly* as often as the second, though.
I thinks it's more of the second. Everyone says that multiplayer isn't needed. It's just that publishers don't listen. Nobody though, says that the multiplayer aspect of a game actually helps. Everyone always bashes it.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Damn it! The more I hear about this game the more I want to buy it. I just don't want to spend money on yet another modern military shooter when it doesn't even appeal to me.

If only it didn't look so crap and Darksiders 2 wasn't waiting for me to buy it! ARG I say! ARG!!!

dtgenshiken7

Aug 4, 2011
Ah, I'm glad that people have begun to speak out against apparently mandatory Multiplayer for triple-A FPS's, because it needed to be done.

For sure, it adds so much to the experience of a game, but Leave it to the games renowned for it, like the CoD series and Halo. It just seems a bit off-kilter that it is now obligatory to stuff a multiplayer feature in. It's like Assassin's Creed, where there was a perfectly good single player, which resulted in a lot of people completely ignoring the multiplayer features, which was really just a shambles in the first place.

I do admit that maybe he could have worded it better, labeling this as a 'cancerous growth' really does not look good, in the eyes of both the consumer and prospective teams willing to hire this guy in future. Who's willing to hire someone who bashes features in their own games?

Still, the fact that this has been pointed out is good simply because it means that triple-A developers are beginning to get back to the ways of using games for storytelling as well.

Here's to this guy, and may developers in future waste a lot less money in future by NOT including shitty multiplayer in perfectly good games.

tehwalrus

Sep 3, 2008
Farther than stars said:
Ah, you shouldn't worry too much about multiplayer. I've played great games, such as Saints Row 3 and Dead Rising 2, which have multiplayer, but I never even looked at it because I was having so much fun with the single player. I don't buy single player games to play the multiplayer section in the same way that I don't play multiplayer games and then expect them to have a single player campaign.
You are missing out, Saints Row Co-op can be a really incredible experience.