Spec Ops: The Line - This Changes Everything

Grant Howitt

Jan 9, 2012
Spec Ops: The Line - This Changes Everything

Captain Walker isn't the only one who changes during the course of Spec Ops: The Line.

Read Full Article

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I love this game so much. The story, the music, the level and game design, the sadistic choices you have to make, the changes the characters go through, the jabs at CoD and the whole concept of "America saves the day from the Nazi/Soviet/Arab hordes". It's a freaking masterpeice. Still deeply disturbing to play though, though. I knew every twist that was coming, and they still punched me in the gut. And that ending... dear god, that ending.

"The truth is, you're here because you want to feel like something you're not..."

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I want to play this game, but I had it spoiled for me early on and as a result I'm not sure it'll work for me. It seems a large amount of the impact it has relies on the player not expecting the game to do what it does.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I want to play this game, but I had it spoiled for me early on and as a result I'm not sure it'll work for me. It seems a large amount of the impact it has relies on the player not expecting the game to do what it does.
I spoiled it for myself weeks before I even got the game, but the emotion of those moments still struck me. Heck, when you know whats coming, you can actaully keep an eye out for the things that are forecoming and be affected by it a little more then if you didn't know what was gonna happen. Get this game, man.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I spoiled it for myself weeks before I even got the game, but the emotion of those moments still struck me. Heck, when you know whats coming, you can actaully keep an eye out for the things that are forecoming and be affected by it a little more then if you didn't know what was gonna happen. Get this game, man.
Oh screw it. After this article and a recommendation like that, I really can't avoid this game anymore... (This coming from someone who's 1st person shooters extend to... Halo. And DX:HR...)

Complete plot spoiled for me? Check. Not my genre? Check. Huge backlog of games I need to play anyway? Check.

Getting this game? Check... (Though I don't know when. And I may be evil and play through it with a friend who doesn't know what's coming...)

rvdm88

Jun 11, 2008
SpecOps really was disturbing, its fun how it just starts out as a generic shooter that actually fails to compete with games like CoD or BF3, but gruadually ascends with it's narrative to something far more interesting, it makes you think.

The only downside of the game would be that there will be people that will play this game with the expectation of a CoD or BF3 alternative and then quit the game after 2 missions because it doesnt play as fluid and refined as a CoD or BF3. Those people quit the game and never come back for more, and they will never be aware of it's mindboggeling premise.
This saddens me...

Still the game was amazing, also it's visuals were stunning.
From the pink desert sand to the architectual masterpieces it's just so amazing and vibrant.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
The_Darkness said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Oh screw it. After this article and a recommendation like that, I really can't avoid this game anymore... (This coming from someone who's 1st person shooters extend to... Halo. And DX:HR...)

Complete plot spoiled for me? Check. Not my genre? Check. Huge backlog of games I need to play anyway? Check.

Getting this game? Check... (Though I don't know when. And I may be evil and play through it with a friend who doesn't know what's coming...)
If you do that, make sure to get a camera or a mike so you can record the guy's reactions and upload them.

By the way, is that a piece of SYRSA artwork as your avatar pic? Because if it is...

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
The_Darkness said:

If you do that, make sure to get a camera or a mike so you can record the guy's reactions and upload them.

By the way, is that a piece of SYRSA artwork as your avatar pic? Because if it is...
No actually, it's an entirely home-made avatar. I chose the screen-name as a homage to Eternal Darkness, and wanted a pic that fitted as darkness, but with a hint of something within it...

We'll see about the camera or mike. I surprised him with Dead Space, of all things, a while back, and that managed to trigger more than a few swear words at the opening... "You're supposed to be running!" "I am? Oh &*^%!!!!"

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
Excellent article.
I still wish I had some way to beg/borrow/steal this game from a friend.

In other news, because It Bothers Me:
Minor nitpick: penultimate paragraph: "dhooter" is written in place of "shooter". Just in case you have an edit button.

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
I remember seeing pre release coverage of Spec Ops and thinking "yeesh, one could almost take this game as some cynical joke."

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Apparently the white phosphorous scene from spec ops is really tame compared to one in metal gear solid or something

It's too bad I don't feel things whilst playing video games, the moments that were supposed to be shocking were not and whilst I tend to save the lives of npcs I don't feel anything from executing them either

It's one of the few situations to which they are not people actually applies whether the hind brain agrees or not

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
You go into the fight expecting to become a hero, instead you leave soaked in so much blood that will never be washed away...

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Let's just say an average game is a train ride, following a certain track. It starts out slow, kinda rocky, and the seats are uncomfortable, but you can still manage fine.

Then once you get into it, all the track bumps and engine noises kind of fade out, then you start to enjoy it and proceeds on its way until the end, you feeling fine and excited,

But Spec Ops The Line drops that second part, and once you start to feel comfortable it turns into a jet plane and crashes into an elementary school filled with endangered animals.

I exaggerated a little, but that's why I love it so much. It's the first AAA game to mess with gamings, I don't what to call it, formula.

Great article, by the way. The more Spec Ops praise the better, it's true Game of the Year material if I've ever seen one.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
God I need this game.I desperately, DESPERATELY want to experience how this is done first hand.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
Gah, makes me want to play it again. Not to have fun of course, but to further analyze it. There's SO many little intrigues about this one game that I feel even after playing through 3 times I wouldn't have seen it all. Whether it be the fact that it managed to slither it's way into consoles disguised as a modern military shooter or how it shakes your expectations of the hero's journey I just can't get enough. It's games like this that give me faith in this industry.

Captcha: more better

You said it buddy, you said it.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I didn't know they named the bad guy Konrad. That's pretty funny, makes everyone who brought up "Apocalypse Now" in their reviews seem stupid for missing the obvious "Heart of Darkness" reference as well.