Spelling mistakes you keep seeing!

fiddles_stix

Jul 3, 2011
"Its" and "it's"

"Its" is possessive.

"It's" is a contraction of "it is".

Then number of public signs and even on government documents where one or the other are used incorrectly makes me sad.

Mar 29, 2008
I just hate pretty much the entirety of net-speak. I'm fine with the acronyms (lol, wtf, atm, etc.), but what the hell is the point of 'teh,''pwn,' and all the friggin numbers for letters?

I feel like I should be shaking a rake at some hooligan kids in my yard all like "Listen here Sonny, back in MY day people who used numbers for letters were labeled script-kiddies and kicked from every channel on IRC!"

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
[two too to] i see these confused alot

[there their] i also see alot of

but im a very bad speller

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Kaleion said:
Lilani said:
2QUAR3D said:
"You're" and "Your". Get them in context!

EDIT: Is that grammatical, rather?
I think it is, but that was what I was going to say, too. That, and the three "there"s. I can't believe the number of people who get to college and STILL don't know the difference between your and you're and there, their, and they're.
I'm so sorry I keep doing that, but in my defence English is my second language and I learned it from watching TV and movies with subtitles, but still that is no excuse I should have learned by now so I do apologize.
Oh, I can understand people who learned English as a second language. You all have a free pass regarding that. I'm talking about the ones I KNOW where raised on English--the ones have been observing the language since birth and have made it more than 20 years into their life (and roughly 15 years into their literate life) without knowing one of the most basic grammatical rules next to putting a period at the end of a statement.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
FreakSheet said:
More spell check error which i see all the time, COLOUR IS ACCEPTABLE, AS IS COLOR. HONOUR. ARMOUR. LET ME USE THESE.
Right click, Languages, English/ United Kingdom. For me it says "color" is misspelled.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
Loose vs. Lose.

Oh...my...CRAP! I'm more of a grammar nazi than my friends and I'm always correcting my sister, to her dismay, but I'm not often obnoxious about it. But this is one spelling mistake that just...won't...DIE! I've provided dictionary definitions for your convenience:

Loose(adjective): free from anything that binds or restrains; pronounced with a soft s.

Lose(verb): Be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something); pronounced almost with a z sound.

So long as you can keep this right we will be the best of friends.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Therefor and therefore. There is a difference, you know.

Oh, and "from whence".

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Around work I'm always seeing drawer spelled as draw. It's kind of funny - Like when the boss left me a note to say - "I've put your wages in the draw". (As in - holy shit he put my wages in a lottery).

I'm also seeing a lot of lose and loose.

C. Cain said:

Oh, and "from whence".
And this pretty much sums up the futility of arguing for correct spelling and grammar.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In regards to there vs their, I managed to write one of them as theire the other day, which was odd.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Every time one of my PVP'ing guild mates whine about getting killed by "damn rouges" my eye starts twitching.

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
Could of. Should of. Would of.
Three two-word phrases that make my brain grind to a halt. Three two-word phrases that tell me whomever types any of them should probably be taken out of the gene pool.
I've even seen people confuse "our" and "are" which is almost understandable, but it still pisses me right the hell off.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Their our definately alot off mistakes and its really anoying. Hopefuly people whom make them loose the game.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
floppylobster said:
Around work I'm always seeing drawer spelled as draw. It's kind of funny - Like when the boss left me a note to say - "I've put your wages in the draw". (As in - holy shit he put my wages in a lottery).

I'm also seeing a lot of lose and loose.

C. Cain said:

Oh, and "from whence".
And this pretty much sums up the futility of arguing for correct spelling and grammar.

That's a pretty dismal view.

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
when people spell rogue -> rouge, seriously how do people keep making that mistake.
i suppose it could slip in some of the time, but some people get it wrong all of the time.

frikking annoying.

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
lose (as in not winning) with loose (as in not tight). GOD DAMN it drives me nuts.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
One I notice a lot is people spelling laser as 'lazer'.

I know Americans like to replace the letter 'S' with an 'Z', but it doesn't work for laser because it's an acronym.

Laser stands for "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation", so 'Lazer' doesn't make sense because 'Ztimulated' isn't a word.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Jamash said:
One I notice a lot is people spelling laser as 'lazer'.

I know Americans like to replace the letter 'S' with an 'Z', but it doesn't work for laser because it's an acronym.

Laser stands for "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation", so 'Lazer' doesn't make sense because 'Ztimulated' isn't a word.
... yet. But seriously, I always figured it was just a case of deliberate stylistic suck, like "computor".

Soluncreed

Sep 24, 2009
kebab4you said:
Soluncreed said:
Misspelled. Silly people, it's mispelled. They can't even get that word right, which is kind of funny.
Sure about that? most places I checked had it spelled as "misspelled"(even spelling programs said mispelled was wrong).
emeraldrafael said:
Soluncreed said:
Misspelled. Silly people, it's mispelled. They can't even get that word right, which is kind of funny.
Not sure if serious, but no, its misspelled with two S's.

otherwise you have mispelled which typing into the comment box gets me the red squiggles of failure and phonetically sounds like Me spelled, which i guess is right if you're going for a stereotyped mexican voice.

EDIT:

Plus <url=http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/misspelled.html>this says so too.
Damn.
I'd like to change my answer to misspelled. For some reason people seem to want to spell it as "mispelled". They can't even get that word right, which is kind of funny.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
believer258 said:
A collage is actually a thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collage

The one that bothers me the absolute most is "definitely". It's often written as "defiantly".

I think that every keyboard should, from now on, have a zapper in it and a way to detect whether the person actually means "definitely" or not, and if they do mean "definitely" and write "defiantly", they should be zapped with ever increasing voltage until they either a) learn or b) get zapped right out of the fucking gene pool because they're too stupid to do anything for humanity.
Well, my input would be worthless. I'll simply point to your post and state, "That."

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
It's not really spelling that pisses me off, it's people that can't structure a sentence.
You'll see a youtube comment or even a post on these forums every now and again and it is just horrible.
The words are there but you can't figure out where they're trying to go with it, what they're trying to say, and you can read it through about 10 times and get a different meaning from it each time.

Like:
ok so yeah i do like this but do you know what im not that fussed about what people think because i like this and are there any people who disagree if there are they can go die because most people here like this so why click the video if you dont like it its my opinion and i can stick to it because im allowed my own opinions.

It's really hard to try and make a horrible comment/post but you get the idea of what I'm trying to get across, just a load of words thrown together with no coherent structure or punctuation, it drives me up the wall.

But yeah I don't care too much about the spelling, as long as you understand the message they're sending I'm fine with it. Unless it's an argument in which case every single your is corrected to you're as an annoying trolly insult.