Spider-Man: Miles Morales Review Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Feel free to post things all here Spider-Man Miles Morales. News, previews, interviews and later reviews when they get here. Figured I'd just get it started now.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Holy shit, they have Into the Spider-verse skin for Miles, and not only does it look EXACTLY like him, I think they even somehow restricted his FPS? As in he still looks stopmotion. And they even have the "WHAM" and "BONK" effects when you punch bad guys. Now THAT is a skin worth unlocking.

Damn they really went above and beyond on that.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Holy shit, they have Into the Spider-verse skin for Miles, and not only does it look EXACTLY like him, I think they even somehow restricted his FPS? As in he still looks stopmotion. And they even have the "WHAM" and "BONK" effects when you punch bad guys. Now THAT is a skin worth unlocking.

Holy shit they sure did. That's really really cool!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Yeah, my one issue, is the stop motion style of his movements was giving me some eyestrain when watching that clip, especially in comparison to everything else being rendered differently. So I'm not sure I'll actually enjoy playing in that suit, as much as I want to use it.

It reminds me of the suit designs for the PS4 Spidey game, that were comic book/cartoon style. They gave me a weird visual sense of offputting when trying them out. I couldn't play with them for very long before switching back to something more in style with everything else.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, my one issue, is the stop motion style of his movements was giving me some eyestrain when watching that clip, especially in comparison to everything else being rendered differently. So I'm not sure I'll actually enjoy playing in that suit, as much as I want to use it.

It reminds me of the suit designs for the PS4 Spidey game, that were comic book/cartoon style. They gave me a weird visual sense of offputting when trying them out. I couldn't play with them for very long before switching back to something more in style with everything else.
That makes sense to me as well. I could see it becoming an issue. Though still cool that they added the detail of it. And im sure the frame data will remain the same so attack and dodge timing wont be any different from normal suits.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That makes sense to me as well. I could see it becoming an issue. Though still cool that they added the detail of it. And im sure the frame data will remain the same so attack and dodge timing wont be any different from normal suits.
Oh I definitely agree it's cool they added it, as I fucking love Into the Spiderverse. And I love the fact that they did take the time to make it replicate the animation style of the film, including bubble texts of "pow!" and "bonk!" when he fights. I also have zero concern that the actual mechanics will suffer as a result. My only issue is that my brain is going to keep telling me something is off, and it's going to fuck with my head enough that I probably won't be able to enjoy the game as much. I guess you could maybe say it's an Uncanny Valley kind of symptom? As my brain is going to keep pointing out the oddity, instead of just experiencing the game. Which might throw off my personal reaction time, if my focus falters a bit.

Regardless, yes it's really damn cool, and I hope the hoody version is another unlockable skin as well.

Semi Sidenote: Can we take a moment to appreciate the voice actor they got to play Miles in the PS4 game (and the film as well, but different discussion)? I mean he was SO good at the perfect blend of goofy/nerdy/awkward, yet also a fanboy for Spidey, but also his own person. I loved him so much in that game, I'm REALLY looking forward to being able to play as him full time, and not just in Crouchy Sneaky Mode.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Ooh that suit is pretty neat! After my eyeholes adjusted to the opposing framerates anyways. Hope this turns out as good as the previous entry, am looking forward to binging it eventually.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ooh that suit is pretty neat! After my eyeholes adjusted to the opposing framerates anyways. Hope this turns out as good as the previous entry, am looking forward to binging it eventually.
Binging it? Isn't that the shitty Microsoft search engine?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Binging it? Isn't that the shitty Microsoft search engine?
Oohergh, we don't speak of that in public anymore! *panic look around* I mean to binge, as in throw social life under a bus for a bit for some romantic bonding alone with the entertainments. ;)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Oohergh, we don't speak of that in public anymore! *panic look around* I mean to binge, as in throw social life under a bus for a bit for some romantic bonding alone with the entertainments. ;)
Yeah I'll be playing the shit out of it too....once I buy a PS 5 that is. Which might be a while.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can't watch any youtube because im in the middle of nowhere for work. Hit me with the spoiler is it a Buy, Wait for a sale, or never touch?
It's a buy . I am not surprised in this lightest. He did have a few minor problems. On the PS5 version, he had three crashes and three different bugs happen. They were early enough into the game and after that they started petering out. Also, he particularly didn't care for the soundtrack, but that's more of a personal thing for him. He admits that he's not into hip-hop that much. He does comemend the game for having it's own unique soundtrack that sticks out.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Eurogamer seem to like it, and they were critical of my sweetums HZD, the heartless bastards.

And the digital foundry take...

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan