Spider-Man: Miles Morales Review Thread

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I have to say, not quite a fan of Miles' venom strike, at least aesthetically. I know its like that to show off the graphical capabilities of the PS5, but it just looks so weird. Definitely not how I imagined it in the comics.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eurogamer seem to like it, and they were critical of my sweetums HZD, the heartless bastards.

And the digital foundry take...

Eurogamer's been going down the crapper since 2009. They'rere not as bad as say IGN or Gamespot, but they really have some out there "opinions".

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I have to say, not quite a fan of Miles' venom strike, at least aesthetically. I know its like that to show off the graphical capabilities of the PS5, but it just looks so weird. Definitely not how I imagined it in the comics.
My issue is the name of it versus what it does. xD I mean, it's not venom, it's electricity! I'm fine with him having electricity as an attack, because spiders and eels and all kinds of creatures in the world are able to biologically do crazy shit, like generate a current of electricity. So I'm 100% down with him doing that, but IT'S NOT VENOM!! xD It's like me punching you in the face and shouting "Falcon KICK!!"

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm loving the shit out the animations I've seen thus far. Really adds a lot of personality. I love how after he does a big flashy, dive kick he just somewhat awkwardly lands on his side because he over extended himself.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My issue is the name of it versus what it does. xD I mean, it's not venom, it's electricity! I'm fine with him having electricity as an attack, because spiders and eels and all kinds of creatures in the world are able to biologically do crazy shit, like generate a current of electricity. So I'm 100% down with him doing that, but IT'S NOT VENOM!! xD It's like me punching you in the face and shouting "Falcon KICK!!"
I will just call it Electric Venom Strike, Electric Strike, or Shock Collar.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I will just call it Electric Venom Strike, Electric Strike, or Shock Collar.
Yeah see, Electric Strike would make sense. But tossing the word venom in there, when there is no actual fluid component, just rustles my jammies. It's not a big rustle mind you, but it does make the little nitpicky part of my brain roll it's eyes whenever I see it named. xD It's the same part of my brain that rolls it's eyes whenever I hear someone say decimate when they mean devastate.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gamespot's review said "full of the exaggerated swagger of a black teen." Someone is getting fired.
I haven't looked at the game spot review. I'll have to check that out later. It's pretty clear they don't have a diverse cast of color in their offices, because nobody bothered to check and read that. Then again, it's GameSpot. They really bother to check anything. Same with IGN.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
1605007730409.png

The Spider-verse movie popularized Miles wearing Air Jordan 1s, a popular Nike shoe. Now since Marvel is collaborating with adidas, it seems that Miles will now be sporting these ugly ass Superstars instead, that can also be bought in real life. It boggles my mind they went with this design, they are just... not nice. Just inverting the colors would make it better, but not by much.

I know most people won't care about this, but I thought this was pretty interesting. The last time I can remember seeing real brands in a video game was in Uncharted (all their Xperia phones and Sony laptops). Funny how they are both PS exclusives.

Attachments

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Holy shit, they have Into the Spider-verse skin for Miles, and not only does it look EXACTLY like him, I think they even somehow restricted his FPS? As in he still looks stopmotion. And they even have the "WHAM" and "BONK" effects when you punch bad guys. Now THAT is a skin worth unlocking.

Damn they really went above and beyond on that.

A distracting neon halo reflection in his glasses and a broken cigarette hanging out of his ear.

But seriously, the game itself looks cool and it’s good to see Insomniac cranking out a great launch title again for PlayStation.

An interesting bit on the PS5 version from Gamespot -

Spider-Man: Miles Morales serves as a great test case for this speed. Loading into the new web-slinging adventure from the homepage takes less than 10 seconds, and once you're swinging around Manhattan, you'll only wait a couple more to fast travel anywhere around the huge open world. This stark improvement ensures you're spending more time playing and less time waiting for the game to load, but it also benefits the actual streaming of the open world. I encountered no stuttering at all while swinging through New York, even as I unlocked faster traversal abilities and gained as much momentum as I possibly could. One of the more impressive early showcases for this comes as you finish a mission inside an enemy hideout. Forced to make a quick escape, you aim at a vent and sling Spider-Man through it, launching him into the open world seamlessly at a high speed. It's a quick moment, but it's a technical achievement that makes me excited for the next generation of open-world games.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Gamespot's review said "full of the exaggerated swagger of a black teen." Someone is getting fired.

The larger context isn’t as bad as it sounds though -

A Different Side To The Same New York

The child of a Black father and Puerto Rican mother, Miles is a wonderful mixture of cultures and languages. His building is adorned with the Puerto Rican flag, his family has an old collection of jazz and R&B vinyl records, and he seamlessly transitions between standard English, African-American Vernacular English, Spanish, and American Sign Language based on who he's talking to (occasionally even mixing together one or two of them). The way he leaps off of rooftops and flips backwards to face the camera before falling into a headfirst dive is just full of the exaggerated swagger of a Black teen--it gives me goosebumps every time he does it, especially as the music begins to swell.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I got my copy a couple of hours ago. I already installed it. I am tired, so I probably will not play it until tomorrow whenI get off work in the afternoon. I will let you all know how it plays.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
All this coverage of the game has me wondering what they plan to do for the sequels. Just have it in New York again? That seems kinda lame. Could be interesting to see Spidey in Europe, or even like Hong Kong.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I got my copy a couple of hours ago. I already installed it. I am tired, so I probably will not play it until tomorrow whenI get off work in the afternoon. I will let you all know how it plays.
So far it plays pretty much like the PS 4 Spider man, beat for beat. The mechanics are pretty standard, but with the added venom combat tree, which is fun as hell. I'm enjoying the shit out of it. I feel like I'm playing a variant of inFamous, with how much focus is put on being able to power up the Venom power as it's own combat style. And that comparison is a compliment by the way, seeing as the inFamous game line is probably my favorite video game of all time personally. So cloning the feel and combat style of my favorite electro-boy Cole McGrath, yeah I'm down for that shit no problem.

I have noticed that the radius for a mission location interrupting your webswinging for the scripted cutscene is extremely aggressive, more so than the Peter Parker version. So stay far away from any mission locations if you want to finish a podcast bit, or finish a phone call with someone. Also it does seem to unlock skill points super fast, without really having much in the way of choice for what to buy into. Different skills are level-gated, and the points you get for leveling are usually exactly enough to buy out the stuff you get access to, so it feels way more scripted on power progression compared to the Peter game. Which is annoying, but not a big issue for me. Also it might resolve itself on the higher end of the tree, where skills will likely cost more than you will earn, forcing you to grind and go do side stuff.

But yeah, nothing really new with the mechanics, a few things here and there, but mostly it's more of the same. Which is fine for me, as "the same" of a game that's fucking fun as hell means "more fucking fun as hell" sameness.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
All this coverage of the game has me wondering what they plan to do for the sequels. Just have it in New York again? That seems kinda lame. Could be interesting to see Spidey in Europe, or even like Hong Kong.
Spiderman is intrinsically tied to New York, and has been since his inception. So I don't see them making him some kind of globe trotting spiderman, as he's the Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman, by design. I could see them doing some kind of short run DLC perhaps with him on vacation, that could be fun. But, yeah expect Spidey to always be in NY, just like Batman is tied to Gotham.