Spider-man: No Way Home Trailer

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

So, it's finally here. After months, maybe even a year of speculation, we have absolute confirmation that the movie will be a multiverse jaunt. I personally love the MCU Spider-man and his movies. I think Tom Holland pulls of a convincing high school Peter Parker, and despite a rocky start, Zendaya's MJ is easily the best Spidey love interest on screen.

As for the what we've seen, I like the direction they're going. Classic Spidey story: Spider-man sacrifices everything to be a hero, but once other people begin to suffer from his double life, he falls apart. Going to Doctor Strange is the obvious solution, and I think they have great chemistry together. That said, the way Strange's spell fucks up sounds dumb as hell. Actually, the fact that Strange was willing to go ahead with it at all is kinda dumb. But am I willing to overlook that for some Spider-verse fun? Hell yeah.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This is the kind of stuff I want from the MCU.

I don't care about Shang-Chi or The Immortals, give me Spider-man and multiverse hijinks.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't care about Shang-Chi or The Immortals, give me Spider-man and multiverse hijinks.
It has me thinking though, how will this affect Spider-verse 2? Although I guess there's a pretty good argument to be made for not having a Spider-verse 2 at all.

Reactions: gorfias

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
omg the Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, and Electro are coming back. as in the characters from the previous Spider-Man movies continuities. This is one of the most amazing fanservice moments I think I've ever seen.

I'm curious how they going to explain them being alive

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
"We don't want to make too much money?"
More of, I don't trust Sony to not absolutely butcher the franchise after they realized it had massive appeal. And I don't see how they could possibly top the first movie, it's a genuine masterpiece in my opinion.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

So, it's finally here. After months, maybe even a year of speculation, we have absolute confirmation that the movie will be a multiverse jaunt. I personally love the MCU Spider-man and his movies. I think Tom Holland pulls of a convincing high school Peter Parker, and despite a rocky start, Zendaya's MJ is easily the best Spidey love interest on screen.

As for the what we've seen, I like the direction they're going. Classic Spidey story: Spider-man sacrifices everything to be a hero, but once other people begin to suffer from his double life, he falls apart. Going to Doctor Strange is the obvious solution, and I think they have great chemistry together. That said, the way Strange's spell fucks up sounds dumb as hell. Actually, the fact that Strange was willing to go ahead with it at all is kinda dumb. But am I willing to overlook that for some Spider-verse fun? Hell yeah.
Doctor Strange is still an arrogant, prideful man. I can believe he'd do it.

Also dat reveal. Christmas is....actually not too far away at all. Looking forward to it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah cool, OG Goblin and Ock, but once again Tom Holland Spidey isn't allowed to come into his own, now having to compete with the older legacy it seems.

And did Strange get roofied or something, why would he be this stupid?

Also, while it's nice to see Alfred Molina again as Doc Ock, he looks a bit frail now, and I doubt this version will have much on Spider-Man 2.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah cool, OG Goblin and Ock, but once again Tom Holland Spidey isn't allowed to come into his own, now having to compete with the older legacy it seems.
I mean, he is a high schooler. And Marvel has Tom Holland for like the next decade, at least. Plenty of time for him to come into his own.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The premise of the movie, where Doctor Strange casts a spell to try and make the world forget who Peter is, was leaked a while ago. I thought it sounded super dumb, and it had to be fake.

But here we are, I guess.

It just kind of makes Strange seem quite stupid - but whatever, shenanigans need to ensue, somehow.

That said, im excited for the actual purpose of the film. This is what the multiverse was made for, and im interested to see how/how much these Maguire/Garfield villains involve themselves in this story. I know Sony has been gunning for a Sinister Six film for the best part of 10 years, and just dragging in all of these previously established villains is the perfect way to go about it.

Im also glad that the inevitable Maguire/Garfield reveal was kept out of the trailers, which shows much more restraint than Civil War had, with its own Spider-Man reveal.

It looks fun!

Though I suppose this is another instance of Holland's Spider-Man living in someone else's shadow, for the third movie in a row...

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, he's damn near 70 by now. Does it matter though? Even at peak physical fitness most of these movies just green screen the actors or even just their faces.
Apparently he's been de-aged, and I think that's what's making him look weird to me. He's supposed to be Spider-Man 2 Ock yet he looks like he's been afraid to leave his apartment for months.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I know this is schadenfreude, but Im going to feel so satisfied if Maguire and Garfield aren't in this. Everyone involved in production has said no, they're not in it, and Marvel fanatics just went "If we assume they're lying, OMG they're both in it!" Its the same logic that got us to pizzagate, just assume something is something else and boy howdy there's a lot of evidence.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Well Strange's character flaw is hubris/arrogance, so it's seems totally in character for him to ignore the warnings of his friend, but also sub-ally, as far as magical powers. "I'm the sorcerer SURPREME, not him. I know what's best for magic and stuff." Plus I can kind of see him, feeling empathy for Peter, as a literal kid, who is in WAAAY over his head, and being obviously manipulated by other people, in a way that is harming him. And considering what he did to try and help save all of the universe...and seeing Peter get dusted (?, pretty sure Peter dusted first, so Strange technically saw it happen and probably feels guilty, as all of the dusting was HIS plan after all) So I can see it, a combination of arrogance and empathy, trying to help this kid out in what he thinks is probably a simple thing.

Regarding the trailer. It looks cool.

Apparently he's been de-aged, and I think that's what's making him look weird to me. He's supposed to be Spider-Man 2 Ock yet he looks like he's been afraid to leave his apartment for months.
I think it's also that he's significantly slimmer than his Spidey 2 days. I would chalk that up to aging mostly, some people go slimmer as they get older.

It has me thinking though, how will this affect Spider-verse 2? Although I guess there's a pretty good argument to be made for not having a Spider-verse 2 at all.
Nah, they can easily have a Spider-verse 2, as just because these events impacted 616, doesn't mean they actually impacted the multiverse on the OTHER side of things. I mean when Spider Gwen got pulled from her reality, everything else went on just fine where she was. So pulling people from elsewhere to 616, probably has very little effects on that side. Whereas 616 will be having significant problems. Plus, I mean it's not like comics don't reuse the same plots all the time. Multiverse is THE go-to plot device for whatever drug infused idea some writer comes up with. So it's a buffet of possible verse stories going forward.

I know this is schadenfreude, but Im going to feel so satisfied if Maguire and Garfield aren't in this. Everyone involved in production has said no, they're not in it, and Marvel fanatics just went "If we assume they're lying, OMG they're both in it!" Its the same logic that got us to pizzagate, just assume something is something else and boy howdy there's a lot of evidence.
Well there is precedent for Marvel and actors directly lying when asked direct questions they are contractually forbidden from answering. That's a lot different from qanon insanity.

I'd honestly be ok with them being in it, at least as a cameo. Perhaps they don't suit up, but maybe they show up to talk to Peter about what he should do, and how he will have to decide on what he's willing to live with, to save those he loves. They can talk about the losses they had on their side of things, and never need to suit up, but still be in it. I'd honestly rather see that, have them there for emotional/moral support, not webshooting.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think it's also that he's significantly slimmer than his Spidey 2 days. I would chalk that up to aging mostly, some people go slimmer as they get older.
I thought so too at first, but I saw some recent pictures of the guy and he's actually a bit larger at his old age from the looks of it.

I don't want to make a big deal about this, it might sound like I'm ragging on the poor guy for his looks, I'm just a bit weirded out by how he looks in this trailer. Maybe the effects still need to get touched up, but then the MCU likes to throw de-aging around like it's candy, and not every attempt has been that succesful.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I thought so too at first, but I saw some recent pictures of the guy and he's actually a bit larger at his old age from the looks of it.

I don't want to make a big deal about this, it might sound like I'm ragging on the poor guy for his looks, I'm just a bit weirded out by how he looks in this trailer. Maybe the effects still need to get touched up, but then the MCU likes to throw de-aging around like it's candy, and not every attempt has been that succesful.
I find the deaging looks more fake in directly light. When it's more shadowed lighting, the quality seems to be much more believable, less Uncanny Valley. Maybe the offsetting thing for you is they used CGI to slim him down? *shrugs* I mean the OG Doc was pudgy as hell, that was kind of the whole point. His body was weak, his mind/arms were powerful. So I wouldn't even really care if he was IRL chunky, as the scary part about him is the giant, homicidal arms.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just wanted to post something humorous. If it happens it happens. If it does not, oh well. It's not the end of the world. Also, don't forget about puddle gate before Spider-Man on PS4 came out. That definitely didn't last long and a whole bunch of people made fun of the idiots that tried starting that.