Spike Announces 2012 Video Game Award Nominees

drthmik

Jul 29, 2011
Don't they know that Black Ops II is not a shooter, it is a spunkgargleweewee game!
come to think on it all four of them are spunkgargleweewee games
they don't have a shooter category it's a spunkgargleweewee category.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
GOTY: If ME3 wins then it was paid for,
I'm rooting for dishonored but the others are atleast decent games.

action: again, dishonored, if sleeping dogs wins then they bought it.

shooter: definitely borderlands 2.

dev: gearbox, the other guys all did decent work but BL2 and the stuff they did before it came out and since has just been fantastic.

anticipated: bioshock infinity, though I would be lying if I said BS2 didnt make me nervous for this one.

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
I get why people complain about this but I dont really see much to complain about in the nominations. You might not like some of the games because YOU THINK they are too similar to the last one in the series but those are probably the best made and received shooters all year.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Great, only AAA titles. No indie games, only big name games and publishers.

Also, how the hell is AC3 up for Game of the Year? It just fucking came out!

Sigh... stay classy Spike TV.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
But there are still some games to be launched that have the potential to be superior to these (Far Cry 3, Hitman, Planetside 2). Why not have the awards be given after the year ends?

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
And Spec ops: the line only gets one nomination. *Sigh* This makes me really damn sad, it's a meaningful game and just gets swept under by the sort of games it was trying to satire.li

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Nurb said:
>Implying Spike VGAs aren't any more than commercials and that they actually matter
/v/, pls go...and go give The Walking Dead your vote for game of the year.

But being serious a moment, it's the only game there that deserves it in my opinion. It's done alot with very little.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
and even this sort of tawdry mainstream attention is better than no attention at all. Right?
Not really I think. The spectacle that Spike puts on only paints the industry in the same low brow light that they paint themselves. The award they give out doesn't really mean anything far as I know. Who votes on it for starters; is it people in the industry, Spike's crack team of "Bros", or the fans. Further, how do they determine nominations? It's a publicity spectacle, nothing more; the award is as hollow as the ad execs who created it in the first place.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
This is why nobody respects games as an art form. This shit is supposed to represent what gamers and games are like. Also, no I would rather have no award ceremony, I think that this ceremony is actually worse then not doing anything.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
esperandote said:
Who's anticipating the South Park game?
Lots of people actually, it's shaping up to be pretty good by the looks of it. With Matt and Trey working pretty close with the team at Obsidian I have little doubt that it will be good.

Yes, there is actual gameplay in that trailer.(some people seem to think it's all just cinematics) One of the big things they wanted to accomplish was to have the gameplay look as much like the show as it could.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
neonsword13-ops said:
Best Shooter

Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision/Treyarch)
That was released 2. FUCKING. DAYS. AGO. How can it already be nominated for best shooter?!

Sigh... what else did I suspect from a channel with mostly frat-boy and manly man programming?

OT: Why no Persona 4: Golden? Not even for most anticipated game?
Are those retorical questions?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Considering the terrible critical reception of Assassin's Creed 3, I have no idea how that was nominated.
"Generally average or slightly above average" is "terrible"?
Most of the games journos I follow on twitter/pay attention to have said it's a disaster.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
DrunkOnEstus said:
Sigh...only the hugest AAA super-blockbusters are on display, and the usual short memory span is in full effect.
Yeah, The Walking Dead game by Telltale is certainly an explosion laden, big budget triple-A title, and that Mass Effect 3 which totally came out a short 8 months ago.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Wait Assassin's Creed 3 is on the list for game of the year? It just came out and from what I head it's decent at best. Do people just litteraly buy the nomination? I know it's Spike so standards are low but at least have some!

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Considering the terrible critical reception of Assassin's Creed 3, I have no idea how that was nominated.
Most of the games journos I follow on twitter/pay attention to have said it's a disaster.
Sounds like they're kind of extremist, then.

The majority of reviews I've read have said that it's the worst entry in the series but certainly not terrible.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Sounds like they're kind of extremist, then.

The majority of reviews I've read have said that it's the worst entry in the series but certainly not terrible.
That's not how games reviewing works. You find people who's tastes and opinions line up with yours and listen to them. Calling them "extremist" is ridiculous.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
doggie015 said:
Baldry said:
And Spec ops: the line only gets one nomination. *Sigh* This makes me really damn sad, it's a meaningful game and just gets swept under by the sort of games it was trying to satire.li
I can't find it at all. What category is/was it under?
Best character or something like that.

Here it is. http://www.spike.com/events/video-game-awards-2012-nominees/voting/best-performance-by-a-human-male

Its not even for the game it's for the character, who was a douche. But then again that was the idea.