Spike Announces 2012 Video Game Award Nominees

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Spike is showing remarkable restraint by not nominating Halo 4 and BlOps 2 for GotY. Genuinely a little surprised to see Journey in there, one would think it doesn't fit in their *ahem* demographic.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
At first I interpreted the Journey entry as "Fable: The Journey" and was like "da fuck.....?"

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
It amazes me that Claptrap, Master Chief and the latest generic Asscreed guy are up for Character of the Year, but actual characters - Max Payne (or even Raul Passos, and yes, I know, my fanboy is showing), Geralt or Adam Jensen - are nowhere to be seen. I know there's only so much room, but Claptrap? Come on.
It's Spike TV, they wouldn't know a good character if they hopped out of a game and back handed them

NinjaDeathSlap said:
Well, technically Adam Jensen was last year (and he wasn't all that interesting for me anyway tbh, it was the world around him that was interesting).

Also to the next person I hear say the Master Chief isn't a character, especially after Halo 4, I promise their will be pistols at dawn! (yes, I know, fanboy. But you started it :p)
to be fair, he wasn't till 4. yes yes, i know, the book and expanded universe, THERE he's an actual flushed out character, but be honest, how many Halo fans you think read those?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The lack of Borderlands 2 under GOTY is highly disappointing to me. Out of those I would vote for Mass Effect 3 (yes I liked the game a lot actually). Journey was way too short for me to consider it GOTY material. Just my opinion though. ACIII is another one I don't think really deserves to be up there. Sure it's fun but the story and characters leave a lot to be desired IMO.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Who the fuck would vote dishonoured as GOTY???
It was fun, but it also had a crap story, it was short, and Blink broke the game on any difficulty.
Hell, who would vote for Assassins Creed 3? Again, it was ok, but it was also repetitive, simple, padded, lacking in the story department and ridiculously easy!

GRRRRRRR...

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
Baldry said:
And Spec ops: the line only gets one nomination. *Sigh* This makes me really damn sad, it's a meaningful game and just gets swept under by the sort of games it was trying to satire.li
I voted to at least put my contribution against this great injustice. It certainly deserves more attention. Still, at least it wasn't totally ignored. I was worried it wasn't going to be anywhere at all, let alone crediting mainly the voice actor, not that he did a bad job, mind you, but I'd rather "best shooter" or, if there was, "Best story" have Spec ops: The line as an entry...

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
What the fuuuuuuck Spike?

The formula is NOT

Popular = good.

The entire game industry is not staffed by DUDEBROS.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Well... Sucks that Borderlands 2 isn't for GOTY, cause in reality, that's my GOTY, but I guess if that's out, then I'm going with Dishonored. Then again, this whole fucking thing is a buncha bull (like how COD came out 2 days ago and is already a fucking nominee), but whatever, we play the cards we're dealt. Yay for money grubbing!

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
They're not the abomination they used to be but they're still pretty bad. I'll be in it more for any new game reveals rather than the awards.

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
Well the Spike VGA show is easily the most horrible and fake award shows in existence. Also they are managed by what I can only describe as a virgin sperglord. If you want to see what I mean, go on youtube and check for Angry Joe's 2011/2010 VGA stuff.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I'll only watch it if there's going to be unveil of new videogame. The Last of Us was the only good highlight of last year's shit award show..

EDIT: Also I like the host. Zach Levi.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Oh... Journey is actually nominated for Game of the Year?

Well, it should win by a landslide. Of course, it won't. It's nice that they bothered to give it a shot, though.

Award shows (of any sort) seem to me more like popularity contests than anything.
Yosharian said:
Stopped reading there. All of those games, except Journey which I haven't played, are either bad, horribly overrated or a disappointment.

Best game this year so far is XCOM without a doubt. But that game isn't 'mainstream' enough for awards ceremonies like this.
If you have a PS3, or know someone who does, stop everything you're doing and go play Journey. Preferably alone. It's a game I feel everyone should experience. (Also, Journey is quite significantly un-mainstream, especially for something like the VGAs.)

EDIT: Oh, and XCOM is nominated for Best PC Game.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
SpiderJerusalem said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Considering the terrible critical reception of Assassin's Creed 3, I have no idea how that was nominated.
"Generally average or slightly above average" is "terrible"?
Most of the games journos I follow on twitter/pay attention to have said it's a disaster.
Then they'd be wrong. It's easily the best in the series so far.
Because tastes and opinions are totally either right or wrong.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
How is Borderlands 2 not nominated for Game of the Year? I dont really have much of a problem with the list otherwise but Borderlands 2 should be seriously considered for GOTY, its one of the only games I've ever bought where it had almost no glaring flaws, and any flaws it did have were vastly overshadowed by the good content and the obvious love the devs put into their game.

And Gearbox needs to win best developer, If they dont then Im going to.. im going to be dissapointed.

EDIT: Also GTA5 easily wins most anticipated game, South Park is a close second and would have won easily, if not for GTA5 being on that list