Splinter Cell Stunt Goes Stupidly Wrong

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Splinter Cell Stunt Goes Stupidly Wrong

An incredibly ill-conceived publicity stunt for Splinter Cell: Conviction [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65497] went wildly wrong over the weekend as police were called, warnings were issued and at least one "actor" came away lucky that he didn't get pounded into goo by an irate mob.

Patrons outside the Degree bar in Auckland, New Zealand got a bit of a shock when a man with bandaged hands showed up, pulled a gun and started threatening people with it. People were shouting, diving behind tables and were "pretty terrified," according to manager Steph Kurtovich.

But he was only kidding! The whole thing was just a stunt to promote Ubisoft's [http://www.ubi.com] new Splinter Cell: Conviction. Unfortunately, the gun apparently looked pretty real, according to Senior Sergeant Ben Offner, who said the police couldn't tell it was a fake until they'd taken it from the guy. As you might guess, he was not amused.

"We consider these types of stunts to be very ill-advised and have real concerns a similar one may one day end in tragedy," he said.

Marketing manager Duane Mutu of Monaco Corporation, which was promoting that game, said he feels the same way and shifted the blame for the mess on another marketing firm Monaco had hired for the event. "This was by no means an attempt to get cops down there and get this sort of exposure," he said. "We do apologize, we shouldn't have had guns down there. It was just marketing gone wrong."

No kidding, Duane. Pointing guns at strangers is never a smart idea and in a booze-fueled environment like a bar at night, the actor involved is lucky nobody decided to be a hero and give him a righteous ass-kicking. Being a moron isn't a crime in New Zealand, however, so when all was said and done the police merely cautioned two men at the scene.

Source: NZ Herald News [http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10639139]

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
How the hell could they have thought that would've been a good idea and no-one would be alarmed?

Fail pubilicity stunt is fail.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Good God, that was a stupid idea. I mean, seriously, I've got no problem with them wanting to do something out-there for advertisement, but as a rule of thumb, people tend to panic when they see guns being waved at them. Who could possibly give the OK for that kind of thing without knowing what's going to happen?

laryri

May 19, 2008
If this had gone wrong the actor would've been the one who had to pay. That would've been sad.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Wow... that was a failure.
Honestly, who would think up such crap as a marketing stunt?
That is like throwing something at the leader of a country, just to market a certain brand of ice cream... it doesn't happen.
Or it shouldn't, but it did.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
A man doing a spy crawling act on a building side would be a publicity stunt.

Pulling out a gun, even fake, in a group of people? That's Darwin Award material.

Apr 28, 2008
Wow, and I thought Sony's old marketing campaigns were stupid...

This and EA's protesting of their own game thing take the cake for me of "Dumbest. Stunts. Ever."

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
That little act of stupid is now given the *facepalm*. I mean seriously if you didn't want people thinking you were serious then use a gun with an orange tip on the end.

ScruffyTheJanitor

Jul 17, 2009
Nearly got himself a Darwin award there. Who seriously thinks pulling a gun out in public is EVER a good idea... whether it is real or not. (exclusing fake guns that don't even look like a gun, to an extent)

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Wow.
I think this is one of the stupidest stunts ever done.
What idiot thought it was a good idea? He needs his brain examined.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
SnootyEnglishman said:
That little act of stupid is now given the *facepalm*. I mean seriously if you didn't want people thinking you were serious then use a gun with an orange tip on the end.
Good point. Could you imagine if this had been done in a gun-happy place in the US?

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Fuckin' morons! How stupid are these people?

[edit] The game itself is incredible but that stunt is anything but.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
Who exactly thought that this was a good idea? People could have been hurt or killed! Also, in what way does pulling a gun in a bar promoting a game about sneaking around in the shadows and breaking people's necks? Ubisoft, I've lost even more respect for you. The games you make may be fun to play, but between DRM and dangerously stupid publicity stunts, I have come to the conclusion that you guys are incurable idiots.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Yeah.. great idea i coulnt see that going wrong?

Hell, next time i rob somewhere and i get caught, il just say i was promoting Splinter Cell ;)

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Stupid, but it got peoples attention though. Even bad publicity is publicity I guess

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Splinter Cell: Conviction... well, at least they got the 'conviction' part right.

God. I'm just... wow. That's how-does-a-brain-that-small-operate-a-central-nervous-system stupid!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
FoolKiller said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
Good point. Could you imagine if this had been done in a gun-happy place in the US?
This man would because human swiss cheese.