Split - Is M. Night Shyamalan Back?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
14,276
15
43
Split - Is M. Night Shyamalan Back?

M. Night Shyamalan attempts yet another horror-thriller.

Read Full Article
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,924
0
0
Is it because he had people telling him what to do and keep him in his place that this movie is good?

Or is this the case where he made a good movie all on his own?
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,954
6
13
Samtemdo8 said:
Is it because he had people telling him what to do and keep him in his place that this movie is good?

Or is this the case where he made a good movie all on his own?
Mayhaps you posted before reading the article?

OT: I'll probably see it purely for James McAvoy's colourful performance. The rest is all just dressing.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,924
0
0
Xsjadoblayde said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Is it because he had people telling him what to do and keep him in his place that this movie is good?

Or is this the case where he made a good movie all on his own?
Mayhaps you posted before reading the article?

OT: I'll probably see it purely for James McAvoy's colourful performance. The rest is all just dressing.
I just remember Zhukov's thread showing the high Metacritic and Rottan Tomatoes score.
 

Smoketrail

New member
May 15, 2015
27
0
0
Read the title as Is "M. Night Shyamalan Black?", was very confused.

On an unrelated note: it does seem like once you make a name for yourself you can just keep making films no matter how consistently terrible they are.
 

Timedraven 117

New member
Jan 5, 2011
456
0
0
I have to ask, who keeps giving this guy money? I mean he's only had string of failures for apparently more than a decade.
 

Deathfish15

New member
Nov 7, 2006
579
0
0
Smoketrail said:
Read the title as Is "M. Night Shyamalan Black?", was very confused.

On an unrelated note: it does seem like once you make a name for yourself you can just keep making films no matter how consistently terrible they are.
Tell that to Uwe Boll. Then again, the name he made for himself was "worst director in the world"....so maybe that's why he can't get funded $.02 to make a movie.
 

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
14,016
897
118
Why you gotta tease me like that Marter?

I was super excited. Then I saw Shamalamadingdongs name which got me super depressed. Then I saw your title and got super excited again. Then I read your review and died a little on the inside...
 

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
8,413
15
23
tippy2k2 said:
Why you gotta tease me like that Marter?

I was super excited. Then I saw. shamalamadingdongs name which got me super depressed. Then I saw your title and got super excited again. Then I read your review and died a little on the inside...
Atleast he is not on fire...right?
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,924
0
0
Saelune said:
tippy2k2 said:
Why you gotta tease me like that Marter?

I was super excited. Then I saw. shamalamadingdongs name which got me super depressed. Then I saw your title and got super excited again. Then I read your review and died a little on the inside...
Atleast he is not on fire...right?
Shit I was just Playing Mass Effect just now and I still have Joker's voice in my head, I was like "What the hell is Joker doing here?" Than I realize Oh yeah Seth Green.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,924
0
0
008Zulu said:
He isn't the only director that needs to throw away his pen and focus solely on directing. cough Snyder. cough
Ugh my Snyder fanboy is being tested.

Snyder's movie are miles ahead of Shyamalan :p

Don't act like Batman v Superman was somehow worse than The Happeneing.

I mean can you go back to hating on Michael Bay, please?
 

fix-the-spade

New member
Feb 25, 2008
8,639
0
0
Smoketrail said:
On an unrelated note: it does seem like once you make a name for yourself you can just keep making films no matter how consistently terrible they are.
I suspect it's all an elaborate tax dodge.

Fund a certain bomb (so M.Night.Shyamalan's last decade of work), spend a shed load of money marketing it, watch it bomb regardless, file the losses and avoid paying tax for the next few years to 'offset' the loss.

If it worked for President Fart it's been working for everyone else too.
 

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
1,206
0
0
Q. "Is M. Night Shyamalan back?"

A. No. No he is not.

That was a misleading title for the article, wasn't it?
 

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
14,276
15
43
Timedraven 117 said:
I have to ask, who keeps giving this guy money? I mean he's only had string of failures for apparently more than a decade.
They suck but they make money, especially the last two. And that's what Hollywood cares about.

Porygon-2000 said:
Q. "Is M. Night Shyamalan back?"

A. No. No he is not.

That was a misleading title for the article, wasn't it?
No. It would be misleading if the title was "M. Night Shyamalan is back."
 

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
1,169
0
0
Samtemdo8 said:
Don't act like Batman v Superman was somehow worse than The Happening.
To be fair, The Happening is a great comedy film that has some fairly decent camera work. Unfortunately it was meant to be a hard R horror movie.

On Topic: I'm not terribly surprised, the only universal thing I hear about this movie is that James McAvoy does a great job. But maybe it would have been nice for him to have a comeback, I mean, the man seems pretty passionate.
 

Vausch

New member
Dec 7, 2009
1,476
0
0
This is so far the only negative review I've seen for this movie from the critics I tend to go to. Then again, I expected that. Parkinson is a lot harsher than the others.
 

fractal_butterfly

New member
Sep 4, 2010
160
0
0
So far it was a common trope in Shyamalan movies, that every character had a quirk instead of an actual personality. Now he has made the quirks the main character themselves, judging from the trailer. This is... borderline genius, if it wasn't completely retarded.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,924
0
0
JemothSkarii said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Don't act like Batman v Superman was somehow worse than The Happening.
To be fair, The Happening is a great comedy film that has some fairly decent camera work. Unfortunately it was meant to be a hard R horror movie.

On Topic: I'm not terribly surprised, the only universal thing I hear about this movie is that James McAvoy does a great job. But maybe it would have been nice for him to have a comeback, I mean, the man seems pretty passionate.
No it was an utter pile.

At least I can see Batman beating up badguys and Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman team up on Doomsday.

I prefer that then seeing people run away from nothing.
 

Wrex Brogan

New member
Jan 28, 2016
803
0
0
Well, wasn't going to see it anyway due to the whole 'disability = superpowers' bullshit, but good to know it's of the same quality as the rest of Shyamalan's work.

...then again, it's still probably better than After Earth.