Spoiler Alert!

Myan

I Want to Go to There!
Dec 16, 2003
Virgil said:
008Zulu said:
You can't take away a person's right to be an asshole.
Perhaps not in life, but we can take away their ability to do it here.
What he said. People will be assholes, but I'd like to think we can keep that to a minimum here.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Virgil said:
Mr.Tea said:
Archangel is actually...
For games that I know I'm going to buy, like ME2, I don't read anything in advance. No previews, trailers, the official site - nothing - for exactly this reason. I didn't know this going into that mission, and the game was definitely better for it.
I too avoid most things about games I am interested in, but I unfortunately decided to look through the art book while the game was installing. Perhaps anti-spoilering should also be looked at when making these things.

Virgil said:
008Zulu said:
You can't take away a person's right to be an asshole.
Perhaps not in life, but we can take away their ability to do it here.
Its a good thing forums can be moderated this way, but out in the real world, using the "Ban Hammer" will likely have you thrown in jail for assault. But there are the aformentioned who will do anything and everything they can to spoil anothers fun.

DazWolf

Jan 15, 2010
I've had to deal with a lot of spoilers which, if I'm looking for them, I don't really care. On the other hand, I've told many a fan boy and girl to shut the hell up if I'm really deeply interested in something.

On the flip side, as a panelist at a couple conventions, I've also had to toss out quite a few spoiler warnings. I had one person scream at me when I suggested she leave because she didn't want to hear spoilers, because she'd rather spend an hour arguing about character height. In the end, you really can't satisfy everyone.

MantisN1nja

Jan 27, 2010
I couldn't agree more. Since I didn't receive my copy of Mass Effect 2 before the weekend (The Collector's Edition got delayed to february 2 here in Sweden) I more or less have isolated me from the society just to avoid spoilers, and so that I dosen't kill anyone.

CobaltBomber

Sep 16, 2009
My game is still back ordered, so I'm trying to shut out most information. It's not really a big deal though. A lot of people I know go crazy trying to avoid spoilers.

Gaias

Apr 2, 2009
Sixth Sense and Shawshank Redemption would have been ruined with knowledge of the ending for me. Its a good thing that any information about Mass Effect 2 is completely avoidable, due to my reclusive nature. P-:

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Jadak said:
I agree completely, however, my irritation with this is largely directed at Bioware itself, and/or EA, whoever needs to be blamed.

Whatever happen to devs being tight-lipped about storylines? This time around, they leaked every damn bit of detail in official sources all over the place. Even the trailers (awesome as the last one was) revealed far too much about what was going on.
I completely agree with this sentiment. Bioware makes incredible games, but it just loves them too much to keep the details secret. All throughout ME2 you'll uncover information that you, having followed the marketing campaign, already saw coming from a mile away, but feels like would have been amazing twists if you hadn't had them shown to you in trailers, or for god's sake in interviews. The identities of your crewmates in particular was something I would have much rather not known.

When ME3 is revealed I'm immediately going to go live in the woods until it's released. I guess I followed ME2's development extra-closely because I wanted to be certain Bioware could live up to their epic-carryover-trilogy ambition, and now that they've established that they can, I don't need the same reassurance next time.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
I know what you mean. Daybreakers isn't even out here in Australia yet but a fair amount of people insist on spoiling it while I'm reading a supposedly spoiler free review. Sigh...

Word of advice for people just do what I do when something people are undoubtedly going to jab on about is coming out and you are yet to receive the experience or even a few days before hand because leaks just pop up.

Have a complete and total internet black out.

They won't spoil it on the radio, they won't spoil it on the TV or even in the newspaper. But the internet is like the drunken frat boy of every party, unable to hold his liquor, throwing the keg out of your window and knocking down your expensive vase.

Spectre39

Oct 6, 2008
I know being tight lipped about spoilers in any media is common courtesy, but with Mass Effect it should be taboo to reveal anything. The game's story, characters, and immersion is a selling point to me. I feel differently about this game than most other titles I play. There's just something so intriguing about this universe that ruining any of the discovery would be like throwing red paint on the Mona Lisa.

In summary, I agree with Susan 100%. The ride has been perfect so far, and I'm enjoying the experience to its fullest.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
I was in the dark about most of Mass Effect 2 so I was surprised by Archangel, Legion, the ship, etc. What bugs me is when I read this information in the damn reviews for the game.

Another thing that bugs me is when people pester me for information about a game and when I answer they get mad for spoiling things. Dammit, if you don't want to know then don't ask.

Now my standard response when people ask me about ME2 is "Shepard kills Dumbledore."

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Oh I remember watching the figureskating thing live on TV... but then again I live in Norway so it was in prime time.

But what I find interesting is how we still 16 years later, remember who won the Silver... but I have no idea who won the gold... Does that mean that Nancy Kerrigan was actually the real winner here? She is imortalised by all this?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Aurgelmir said:
Oh I remember watching the figureskating thing live on TV... but then again I live in Norway so it was in prime time.

But what I find interesting is how we still 16 years later, remember who won the Silver... but I have no idea who won the gold... Does that mean that Nancy Kerrigan was actually the real winner here? She is imortalised by all this?
Oksana Baiul won gold. She was a 16 year old Ukranian orphan...possibly the only character more sympathetic than Nancy. Couldn't tell you who won bronze, though.

Mortars

May 24, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
-Snip-

factualsquirrel said:
Well, the biggest bit in the game is when you get attacked by a giant squid.
Not completley inaccurate. Couldn't you consider Sovereign to be a space squid? I mean, he kinda looks like one. At least to me.
HAH! I have no idea what that means, so it didn´t get spoiled. :D

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I allways have people tell me "what does it matter, you'll find out the story one way or another". To me this idea is extreemly stupid, the diffrence between a jerk or fool (the fool might be me) on the internet and playing the game is the same diffrence as going to see Avatar on the big screen or having a hobo re-inact the movie with his sock(s).

If you don't see the problem I find that a little odd, but I won't ruin it for you if you don't ruin it for me.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I hate spoilers, I want to be unaware of anything when I start playing a game or watching something. What is it about? I don't want to know before I play! I don't want to know any bit of the story at all. Wikipedia sometimes ruin things for me. When I first heard Tales of Symphonia would get a sequel I was delighted and went to Wikipedia to get to know if it would ever see Europe. They didn't mention that, but early in the article it blurted out with a big fat spoiler I could do without. Since then I didn't enter any forums about the game that weren't about the release date.
I also got a friend who reads walkthroughs for games while he's waiting to get them and watches videos of the story on Youtube... And of course a friend who always manages to spoil things constantly when he's not thinking. Like when we discussed a game and actually discussed that no-one was going to spoil it he managed to tell that the main character would betray them at end of disc 1. Great...

The Admiral

Jul 23, 2008
The only thing worse than spoilers, are those who are indifferent to them. Saying you don't care for the story and only play for the game play is like saying that you only read a book because you for the words or see a movie for the action and sex scenes. While that latter probably describes many movie goers, they are still douche bags for missing the point. The pint being to tell a story! Otherwise, why bother with the story? Why not just have a bunch of disjointed levels if all you care about is the game play? Why not have 90 minutes of gore and tits with no plot tying the scenes together?

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
Along these lines, can we get mods to start yanking some of the ME2 threads? There's a few that are coming darned close to "OMGZ!!! Snape kills Dumbledore!" in thier subject lines.

I love coming here, but I'm going to have to stop (at least until I complete a playthrough) if the trend continues.