*Spoilers* Mass effect 3 extended cut

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Watching stream right now, linking since poll on this page said 28% will want to see it instead of play it. how better to watch it than live :p

edit: 2 stream ended

not using spoiler tags, everything beyond this point is spoilers

Steamer has been doing the ending right before the beam up to the citadel, where you fight the final marauder.

Seems most is the same up to the convo with the catalyst, shooting the kid after the talking now ends the game in a rejection ending with Liara talking from a beacon how we lost the fight and how the cycle continues, destruction ending is mostly same as before, cept with the fleet retreating and Normandy abandoning Shepard, later some added still shots of crewmembers (edit : they show shots of rebuilding and the mass relays being damaged, but not destroyed) and after the crashlanding they put Sheps name on the wall of the fallen ... though moments later he still got the breathing ending aswell (from what i've heard the military stre needed for this has gone down to 3100?)

waiting now for other endings

edit: Control ending -> stills and pics of crew as before, sheppard now controls reapers as a new being, does voiceover, talks about helping to rebuild and watches over people. disproves indoctrination theory completely. to me looks like this is going to be canon to build ME4 on, with something going wrong and reapers starting their cycle again

edit2: Synthesis ending -> same stills and pics, just people have the green eyes and mechanics, added shots of kasumi and keiji together again, an unmasked quarian talking to a geth. EDI does voiceover about rebuilding exploring being ultimate step in evolution, reapers now help rebuild and share knowledge of previous races. Seems to be the "best" ending.

So that is it for the endings, other added stuff i have no knowledge of atm

honestly people are going to be dissapointed whatever happens, what do you think?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Well, I expected to be disappointed, but, +1 for being able to kill that goddamn star child. Still holding at -327, but hey, gotta start somewhere.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Starke said:
Well, I expected to be disappointed, but, +1 for being able to kill that goddamn star child. Still holding at -327, but hey, gotta start somewhere.
well thing is, you don't "kill" him exactly, you shoot him and he turns away from you and says dialogue in the Harbinger voice, for now it seems the indoctrination theory is not what actually happened but hey ... who knows

streamer picked control seconds ago ... see what happens

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Honestly, the dialogue is somehow worse from the last time I heard it. It seems that more explanation makes it even dumber. The ReaperShep dialogue was really, really stupid and there was far too much of it. I'm reflecting on the control ending, watching the start of Synthesis now.

Didn't they say there wasn't going to be a slideshow?

All in all, I kinda prefer what was there already, because more stupid does not make stupid less stupid.

Yeah, I'm standing by where I was originally. I'm done with Bioware.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
nightwolf667 said:
what else could they do really, limited budget and time

most of the extra dialogue they added was unnecessary, explaining what i already figured out would have happened, or left open for imagination, which i preferred, so yeah i agree with you

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Kragg said:
nightwolf667 said:
Commit Sudoku?

Though, honestly, all referential jokes aside, they really brought this on themselves by not passing the ending through the same peer review process that apparently the rest of the game went through. No, Hudson isn't a writer, yes, this bullshit is 100% his fault.

Also, can I just say, this managed to somehow make everyone who worked on the crucible look like absolute morons?

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Kragg said:
nightwolf667 said:
Well, it's more of a comment on the whole fiasco in general really. They say there's not, then there is. It's not ABC, you get ABC. It's not this, the it's that. You know? I get that they had a limited budget and time, but I'd rather a company just be honest with me about what is going to be there rather than simply lying and doing it anyway. That more than anything else is why I'm done with Bioware.

The extended cut ending did not address any of the problems that were already inherent, like you said, most of us already guessed the reasoning behind it. But the idea that they felt that they're fans were to stupid to get it, so they added more exposition that was both patronizing and condescending? Really? We didn't miss what you were getting at, Bioware, we just thought it was dumb. More explanation makes something that was already dumb dumber. So, really, what's the point of the effort? Do they expect fans to turn around and go: now, don't you see our brilliance?

I'm going to go and try to purge the stupid from my brain now. Somehow the synthesis ending was even dumber than control, and control was pretty stupid. The dialogue in both was awful, just, ugh, so very awful. I feel sorry for the actors even having to say it and embarrassed for the writers who wrote it. I expect that sort of shallow, meandering, quasi-intellectual crap from third rate fanfiction writers. There was even less internal logical consistency than the first ending!

GAH!

Captcha: One hit wonder. No, I'm sorry Captcha, you're wrong. But, if it's any consolation, I do believe Bioware has finally struck out.

Saegrim

Dec 11, 2011
Apparently, you need to start back at Cerberus HQ in order to get all of the new scenes. I didn't start from back there, so I don't know what any of them are.
Here's what happened in my ending (Two things: Mixed Paragon/Renegade, 100% All Assets, Liara LI, Destroy Ending.
Secondly, apparently at some point during the London mission before Harbinger comes in and shits all over your escapade to the Conduit thing, your squadmates get trapped and wounded under a vehicle, and Shepard calls the Normandy to pick them up. It sounds like an okay way of handling it, but I didn't actually see it. So I don't know):

From where Shepard gets up to where the Illusive Man dies is largely unmodified. There are one or two new things that have been changed: Hackett now says that someone made it to the Citadel. I can't remember if this part was in the original ending, but Shepard is now thrown out of the receiver node thing and gets tossed about a bit.

When you get to the Catalyst, though, this is where you really start seeing some changes. It makes its initial speech about how its solution won't work, etc. But now, you can ask it about itself, the Reapers, and the Crucible. Shepard doesn't blithely accept what it says and pick from three different color explosions this time, no sir.
What I find interesting is that, in my conversation at least, there's a lot more tension between the Catalyst and Shepard (I picked all Renegade responses). It seems resentful that organics have made its solution no longer viable, and it appears that it highly underestimated organics, and isn't happy about it. Shepard is far less tolerant of its explanations, reasons, and justifications as well. I personally found it to be a nice touch. The conversation seems less like somber, quiet acceptance between the two, and more like two people who hate each other being forced to work together.
That's a bland way of putting it, I know.
It's been noted that you can in fact get an 'Everyone fucking dies' ending. Either always pick Renegade responses, or shoot the Catalyst once you have to pick between Control, Synthesis, or Destroy.
If you pick Renegade responses, Shepard rejects the choices and says that organics will pave a future for themselves without the Reapers or the Catalyst. The Catalyst says, "So be it" in a voice that's frighteningly like Harbinger's, and you see two Reapers blow up two ships. The camera zooms out slowly, showing Shepard standing between the paths that lead to each of the normal endings, and the screen fades to black. It cuts to an Earth-like planet with a beacon, and underground there's Liara's hologram speaking.
The Stargazer scene now has a female talking instead of a man, and it's heavily implied that with the information that was left behind, the new civilization managed to defeat the Reapers.
Other than that, it's mostly the same as the original Stargazer scene.
If you shoot the Catalyst, the same things happen, but Shepard doesn't get a chance to speak.

Now, on to what everyone really wants to hear about: the modified original three endings. You're only getting Destroy from me, unfortunately. That's all I did.

The scene of Shepard shooting the power conduit is mostly the same, except that a memory of EDI flashes up, implying that Shepard knows that EDI will die because of what she's doing.
Everything is the same up to the Crucible being ready to fire, at which point Hackett says for the fleet to retreat from the Crucible. There's a brief scene of Joker frantically going through his holograms, presumably trying to get to Shepard, before Garrus places a hand on his shoulder and tells him that it can't be helped, basically. Joker concedes, saddened, and he heads the same direction as the fleet.
The Crucible fires, and we see the CGI scene of the Reapers falling on Earth. There's a brief scene added in which a soldier is trying to help another soldier along, and he's frantically shooting Husks, trying to keep them away. Just as the Husks are about to overtake them, the energy washes over the Husks and obliterates them. There's absolutely nothing left of them.

I have to say, it was at this point when I start to feel like the ending was recovering a little. It felt a little like I had picked 'Destroy', not 'Reapers trip and fall'.

We then get the scene of the energy beam shooting into the Sol Relay. This scene is also largely unchanged, but instead of the Relay blowing up, the middle part simply begins to break.

Then there's the scene of the beam chaining everywhere, which is completely unchanged. However, there are new scenes added. We see the Reapers falling on Illium and Tuchanka, the former having a brief scene in which the Asari soldiers hug and hold each other in realization of their victory, and the latter simply having the Krogan have a triumphant grin on their face.
We get the same scene of the Normandy falling, except EDI is completely absent, instead Liara in my case coming out first, then Javik.
The screen fades again, and Hackett begins to speak. He makes a large speech about the future of the galaxy, and what it took to accomplish such a victory. We see pictures of what happened to non-crew characters after the war (ex: We see Zaeed relaxing in retirement, Jacob making a speech to people, Kasumi going through an electronic handheld device), and small scenes of what happened to each of the races (the Krogan rebirth, the rebuilding of the Quarian civilization, etc.) Hackett somberly says that the victory of course did not come without losses, and we see shots of Thane, Legion, Mordin, and a helmet that either represents Shepard or the many soldiers who lost their lives. Hackett begins to talk about rebuilding and peace, and we see the broken mass relays, and the broken Citadel, the latter having another scene showing it restored to its full glory. We also get several scenes devoted to showing wartorn and destroyed places restored in the aftermath of the war with the Reapers.
Finally, we see the Normandy launch off the planet, having recovered from the crash landing, and we get a memorial scene, first showing the tombstone, slowly having the camera zoom out. If you look to the left and right bits, you can see the names of some of your fallen comrades that died within Mass Effect 3. In the middle, there's a large name plate saying 'David Anderson.'
We see a shot of all your crewmates (minus EDI) having their heads down, mourning their fallen comrades. In the middle is Liara, holding something in her hands. She walks over to the tombstone, but she hesitates from putting the thing onto the tombstone. It's of course a name plate, with the words 'Commander Shepard' embossed on it. She touches it tenderly, saddened. Her arms begin to make a move to place it on the tombstone, but she draws back, looks at it again, then looks up, smiling, implying that she believes that Shepard is still alive.
There are a couple of other signs that also point to Shepard surviving, such as some things that Hackett says throughout the speech.

(I'm a bit tired, unfortunately, so I can't remember things quite well. I think there was a scene that happened after the scene with Liara, but before this, but not sure)

And finally, the screen goes to black, but comes back in onto the scene everyone knows all too well-Shepard's breath scene. It's exactly as it was, completely unchanged. Then it cuts to black, and the credits come up.
After the credits, there's the unmodified Stargazer scene, then a redone final message from the Mass Effect team. It gives a brief recount of their feelings and experiences throughout the entirety of the trilogy, then signs off.

All in all, I have to say...I...like the Extended Cut. Sort of. It's still by no means perfect, but it's miles better than it was. There's some closure involved, I got to see what happened to some of the races, I saw the aftermath of my final decision and the future of the galaxy. There's better clarity, pretty much better everything.
There are some lingering threads, of course. There are still some holes that need patched, like how exactly Anderson got up to the Citadel with you, and the whole gun thing with the Illusive Man.
It's sort of but not really explained how Shepard could have survived the Citadel. The Citadel doesn't explode this time, it just gets damaged like the Mass Relays. In fact, one of the scenes shows the city parts of the Citadel, grey and darkened from the battle. So Shepard could still be in there and alive.
There were some things that weren't resolved, like what happened to the Rachni, and we don't get a reunion scene with Shepard and the love interest, but I didn't really need that.

Like I said, it's by no means perfect, but I can take it, appreciate it, and like it a bit.

I put it this way: the original ending made you feel like you had climbed a long, staircase, building up to the final victorious moment in which you reached the last step, and it turned out the last step wasn't there.
This time, the last step is there, it's just made out of granite and isn't as well shaped as the forged from diamond, straight 90 degree cuts that made up all the other stairs. But, the last step is there, and I appreciate and like that it is.

Saegrim

Dec 11, 2011
Oh yes, apologies for the wall of text. I don't know how to do spoiler tags, unfortunately. :/

Captcha: Too late.
Goddammit.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Mostly better, I thought. The scene before going into the beam where Shepard has joker evacuate whoever you have in your squad is ungodly cheesy, and I have no idea why Harbinger didn't just shoot the Normandy while it was hovering in Midair in front of him/it. The only thing that actually made me more angry at the ending is that after the destroy ending they still don't commit to Shepard being alive. They've stated for sure this is the last of *Shepard's* mass effect games, so... I can only assume there will be no more closure on that point. The reason I'm more mad about that is because up until then they seem to at least have been making an attempt to close up the plot holes, but then they leave open the biggest one of all (for me), that Shepard survives if you pick Destroy... which stands out even more against their attempt to solve the other problems... god... damn... it...

Oh, and the other thing was... how were we supposed to get any of this from the original endings? Oh never mind, I'm tired of this bullshit...

Saegrim

Dec 11, 2011
TheCommanders said:
The only thing that actually made me more angry at the ending is that after the destroy ending they still don't commit to Shepard being alive.
That's probably the biggest thing that keeps me from liking the Extended Cut more. I can't comprehend why they would flesh all the other stuff out, but not this.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Saegrim said:
TheCommanders said:
The only thing that actually made me more angry at the ending is that after the destroy ending they still don't commit to Shepard being alive.
That's probably the biggest thing that keeps me from liking the Extended Cut more. I can't comprehend why they would flesh all the other stuff out, but not this.
I could honestly live with him being alive *or* dead, but frickin' decide! Give an ending, not more open-to-interpretation-non-committed-unexplained bullshit! Pant... pant... Am I still bitter about Indoctrination being wrong... maybe a little?

Saegrim

Dec 11, 2011
TheCommanders said:
I could honestly live with him being alive *or* dead, but frickin' decide! Give an ending, not more open-to-interpretation-non-committed-unexplained bullshit! Pant... pant... Am I still bitter about Indoctrination being wrong... maybe a little?
I could live with her being alive or dead as well. I just can't comprehend why they would leave that like it is. Sure, it's implied that she's alive, but why not confirm it if you're going to imply it heavily?

Indecipherable

Mar 21, 2010
Yep, still absolute garbage, great work Bioware with your artistic vision. It's a polished turd.

Most of the gaping plot holes are there. I like how now my crew assume I am dead when they leave the jungle planet and aren't even bothered to you know, hold out hope and come back to Earth to find out first.

Bunch of fuckwits, they must all be ex-Bioware employees.

khiliani

May 27, 2010
it was, im gunna go with "not bad"

it could be worse, and there was another ending but it was a bit dumb, though interesting

the "here is your squad being extracted" bit was realy stupid though.

harbringer for some reason doesnt shoot the spaceship, but targets the little people on the ground...

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
It was improved, and I liked it.
I'm still really frickin' confused about how I should feel.
I did destruction, and I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad about what happened?
I get what everything means, I get everything that happened, but emotionally I'm still in full "What just happened?" mode.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
It's... better...

Not good, but better than before, certainly.

It mostly spends its time 'clarifying' things (making things previously alluded to painfully explicit). So, I guess it provides some closure, in that sense, maybe?

*spoiler*

Some things remain unanswered though. Like, why is Shepard still alive after the destroy ending (according to the Starchild, every synthethic, INCLUDING SHEPARD, would die).

It also provided, or rather acknowledged, a few other questions. Like, why does the Starchild's voice suddenly turn into Harbinger's in the new Refusal ending.

IT confirmation or denial? Make up your mind Bioware!