*Spoilers* Mass effect 3 extended cut

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Hm... Wasn't there a "Beings of Light" type of theory going on? Either way, the Indoctrination Theory was by far the most... well, best way to end the series. It would have been the perfect ending to me. However, this now disproves it and I am saddened. The other endings just seem bland in comparison to what I had thought the original ending to be.

Anyways, I prefer the Destruction Ending over everything else. It was the only logical choice, Control and Sythesis are both idiotic.

Either way, I hope Bioware doesn't screw the ending (rushed finale and all) with its next product.
yeah indoctrination would make a good jumpoff point to extend the series with a new team, though you would basicly be doing the same stuff fighting the same enemies and that isnt sustainable i guess.

Saegrim

Dec 11, 2011
Did they explain why Shepard had somehow fallen to earth? The rocks around him looked nothing like any material that was on the Citadel/Conduit.
It's not completely certain where Shepard is by the end. It has to be kept in mind that the room Shepard was in collapsed and parts of it exploded. We could be seeing the underlying material or something.
That's really the only part of the Extended Cut I dislike. They fleshed out so much-why didn't they flesh out the last bit? It's heavily implied that Shepard is alive of course, so why not outright declare it?

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
I'm confused about my feelings on the matter, but it was not a letdown nor a joy so uhh...okay I guess. Zaeed on the chair fixes much of the sad though.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
Saegrim said:
Did they explain why Shepard had somehow fallen to earth? The rocks around him looked nothing like any material that was on the Citadel/Conduit.
It's not completely certain where Shepard is by the end. It has to be kept in mind that the room Shepard was in collapsed and parts of it exploded. We could be seeing the underlying material or something.
That's really the only part of the Extended Cut I dislike. They fleshed out so much-why didn't they flesh out the last bit? It's heavily implied that Shepard is alive of course, so why not outright declare it?
i dont mind leaving something to the imagination, and that scene stays the exact same, no followup. if they do want to continue the series Sheppard has to be dead or gone though, theres no way to fit that in a game to have someone as important as Commander Sheppard the space jesus that saved everyone or not. its like the collector base, it seemed a big deal but was not at all in the end. you cant make Sheppard insignificant for the future like that, his story has to end here

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
I liked the new ending, not perfect but it filled in a load of plot holes and was actually a tearjerker when you see Shepards name being put on the memorial. Nice to see also that Liara was no longer made out to be the canon love interest (you now see your choice as the last face before you fire the crucible) so there is at least some closure. What I didn't like is that the jungle planet you see now is pointless as they just leave like a minute later. Overall a good ending and a massive improvement over the original. B+

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Eugh. They're okay. They seem to simply expand upon what we already knew instead of trying to address the gaping plot holes present in the original endings. It's nice to have something more substantial than was originally offered though even if it is terribly written and frustratingly unsophisticated.

Anyway, back to Dawnguard.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So in other words; It's still dumb, there's just more of it now.

Got it.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Control ending- We united, we defeated the reapers, we are rebuilding and we wont forgot who we lost

Synthesis ending- We united, we defeated the reapers, we are rebuilding and we wont forgot who we lost

Control ending- We united, we defeated the reapers, we are rebuilding and we wont forgot who we lost

Refusal - hey bioware (gold child) i reject these endings (solutions).....
bioware/god child: well fuck you then

but seriously in all these endings we get eternal peace and essentially the same result, nothing telling us why one is better and worse than the others, still badly written and we learn nothing about what happens to our squadmates

but also ive got a huge problem with both control and synthesis.

for one how does synthesis lead to peace? ok so synthetics and organics have similar DNA but how does that solve anything? whats stops the reapers or anyone from going after others? and if it does work why didnt the catalyst do this in the first place?
same with control, Shepard now uses the reapers to protect organics... why didnt the catalyst figure that out and do that.
also why is there no mention in destroy about synthetics rising up again?
it does just strike me as bad writing

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
definitely an improvement I feel in terms of closure to the characters I've grown fond of
but still leaves many questions unanswered.

Mostly I'm still confused regarding the synthesis ending.

With the same modified DNA structure how are organics affected by their new synthetic side? and vice versa how are synthetics affected by their new organic nature? is everybody now "connected" and linked to each other like the geth were? Does a collective consciousness/hive mind now exist in the galaxy?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I thought it was beautiful, at least the one I picked (Green).

I didn't like the idea of synthesis but seeing how it actually affects the future galaxy... I'm cool with it now. Plus we got our little moments of closure, letting us know it was all worth it and meant something.

BuddhaGeek

May 12, 2010
Ok, not to be a downer here, but I watched these "extended cuts"... they're extended, alright! It's just 5-10 minutes more of bull***. You know what? I have now officially hung my hat up on this one. EA, Bioware, good game!

I'm done...

However, thank you for letting me shoot StarBaby in the face.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
I am very happy that Bioware didn't include the "Everyone shits a rainbow and pukes skittles" ending that everyone was clamoring for.

To all those saying they are "done, baww baww" cuz that totally retarded indoctrination crap turned out to be just that: crap, afterall I have one thing to say...

See you in ME4!

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I think Rejection might be my new canon ending. It was Destruction. The other two, especially Synthesis, are just dumb. Synthesis is straight-up silly.

Overall...I'm still gonna be quitting the game after the final actual fight in the game (with the bajillion Banshees and Brutes). The ending in my head is way better.

Twyce

Mostly a Lurker
Apr 1, 2009
The extended DLC wasn't bad... But, in my opinion, it really showed how weak the original endings were on their own.

The DLC should have been included in the original game ending, and not whipped up and tacked on after the fans got pissy. Ah well.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
spartandude said:

Synthesis ending- We united, we defeated the reapers, we are rebuilding and we wont forgot who we lost

Refusal - hey bioware (gold child) i reject these endings (solutions).....
bioware/god child: well fuck you then

but seriously in all these endings we get eternal peace and essentially the same result, nothing telling us why one is better and worse than the others, still badly written and we learn nothing about what happens to our squadmates

but also ive got a huge problem with both control and synthesis.

for one how does synthesis lead to peace? ok so synthetics and organics have similar DNA but how does that solve anything? whats stops the reapers or anyone from going after others? and if it does work why didnt the catalyst do this in the first place?
same with control, Shepard now uses the reapers to protect organics... why didnt the catalyst figure that out and do that.
also why is there no mention in destroy about synthetics rising up again?
it does just strike me as bad writing
Just to answer your question here.

1) Synthesis leads to peace between the organics and reapers because now they are no longer "pure" organics. Thus the Reapers "Cleanse cycle" is no longer a valid option to do. The point of their Cleanse (by game terms) was to make sure no synthetic rose up to wipe out organics (yes the irony of reapers cleansing the organics is not lost on me) Now that they are all partially synthetic, there is no "organic vs synthetic" complications

2) Control is a similar aspect, Shepard is now controlling the reapers, but repairing stuff behind the scene's - you saw them repairing mass relays in control, but not interacting with the races. In the Synthesis, the Reapers are actually working WITH the races to rebuild.

As to why the Catalyst didn't think of it?.. Well I imagine because if it did, there wouldn't be much need for 3 games of ME to be made. Its kinda like a horror movie, We know that you shouldn't go into that dark cellar with a Mass murder on the lose, but the character in the movie doesn't, it is simple a plot point to drive the series forward

3) From a speculation standpoint, what I assume is that the Reapers are completely wiped out by the "Destroy" choice, as they commited all their forces across the galaxy. That is just personal speculation though.