*Spoilers* Mass effect 3 extended cut

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
boag said:
The only thing i really like is that the new refusal Ending practically sets up the Yagh to Curb stomp the reapers the next time the fuckers show up.

That is my head canon now, Fuck Bioware and EA.
OMG!
You just rewrote the ending that I had in my head. We need a Marauder Shields-style comic series of Yahg destroying the Reapers and making the catalyst weep.

JerryTerry

Jul 14, 2009
Kragg said:
so you immediatly rejected .... why i dont understand that at all, personally i picked synthesize, but you came there to end it, to stop them and then you pick nothing and let the reapers win so the cycle continues, spend all those resources building a device to save the galaxy and then not use it ... captcha, partly to blame
Well, if IT was correct, Destroy was the closest to a 'good' ending because it's closest to rejecting the beliefs of the Reapers. But since they added a reject option, now rejection is surely the closest thing to a 'good' ending by IT's standards, since it literally IS rejecting all of the Reapers' options. Hence I chose it first, assuming it was the best way to beat indoctrination.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
I wouldn't say this ending is great but if this had been what I saw when I first finished the game, I wouldn't have been pissed off, plus the refusal ending was a nice surprise, and they had enough sense to get rid of the buy more DLC prompt.

Also: they said there will be no new endings, but they added rejection, I don't think anyone will go to the FTC for that though.

Tigerlily Warrior

Jan 22, 2010
DustyDrB said:
I think Rejection might be my new canon ending. It was Destruction. The other two, especially Synthesis, are just dumb. Synthesis is straight-up silly.

Overall...I'm still gonna be quitting the game after the final actual fight in the game (with the bajillion Banshees and Brutes). The ending in my head is way better.
I have to agree. Never was a fan of synethesis (although I think that's the best of the 3 endings) because it seem counter to the series emphasis on genetic diversity and choice. I have to say in the last three months, I believe more in the ID theory than the existing or extended endings. I'll turn off the game and live in happy denial.

I'll still give the Dragon Age franchise a chance but any existing or new IP Bioware has will have to wait for the bargin bin before I invest again.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
gyrobot said:
Aureliano said:
So. Apparently confronting the starchild with the fact that his plan is completely retarded causes Casey Hudson to flip you off and end the game.

But hey, if you're willing sit shut up and take it like a man/ladyman then every choice you make is a happy ending!

We win?
It was explicitly stated before your meeting with Harbinger that beating the reapers gun vs gun is impossible. Your goal was to delay them long enough to use the goddamn crucible.
Uhuh. I was referring to the starchild's plan to 'save' all sentient life in the galaxy from possibly destroying themselves with synthetics. By murdering every sentient being in the galaxy. With synthetics.

Apparently it would compromise Bioware's artisic vision for Shepard tell our special needs overlord that he isn't fit to flip burgers at a Denny's, let alone decide the fate of all life in the galaxy.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
You know something is really bothering me, the catalyst lives on the citadel/is the citadel and is an a.i. and sovereign invades the citadel in the first game to open the the mass relay for the reaper fleet to invade.

Why couldn't the catalyst do that instead? ya know considering it is him or something..

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
Hawk of Battle said:
Wow, so it turns out you CAN polish a turd! I am fucking amazed.
Confirmed! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI]

Frankly I had no hope that this DLC will change a thing. I'm pleasantly surprised because, despite it being far from perfect and far from what I imagined ME3 should end, and that shiny kid pulled from Casey Hudson's ass remain, at least I got a little bit of closure. So yay, I suppose?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Aureliano said:
gyrobot said:
Aureliano said:
So. Apparently confronting the starchild with the fact that his plan is completely retarded causes Casey Hudson to flip you off and end the game.

But hey, if you're willing sit shut up and take it like a man/ladyman then every choice you make is a happy ending!

We win?
It was explicitly stated before your meeting with Harbinger that beating the reapers gun vs gun is impossible. Your goal was to delay them long enough to use the goddamn crucible.
Uhuh. I was referring to the starchild's plan to 'save' all sentient life in the galaxy from possibly destroying themselves with synthetics. By murdering every sentient being in the galaxy. With synthetics.

Apparently it would compromise Bioware's artisic vision for Shepard tell our special needs overlord that he isn't fit to flip burgers at a Denny's, let alone decide the fate of all life in the galaxy.
That's been changed somewhat to "Reapers take all advanced organic and synthetic life and preserve it in the form of Reapers".
... still stupid, but... yeah.

LHZA

Sep 22, 2010
It's acceptable. Still mildly confused but I'm done with Mass Effect 3, have been for some time, not even playing multiplayer anyone. Now I hope Bioware can get back to working on new stuff, like Dragon Age 3, or even Mass Effect 4. Till then I'll be playing Skyrim, oh, and that Dishonored game looks pretty cool, when does that come out again?

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
TheCommanders said:
I could honestly live with him being alive *or* dead, but frickin' decide! Give an ending, not more open-to-interpretation-non-committed-unexplained bullshit!
I actually like it when game developers/movie writers don't treat us as a child by chewing out everything and actually let certain things up to the viewer to decide.

My problem with his survival is more on how he was able to survive, not what happens afterwards.

Aureliano said:
I must be missing something as I really don't get why people keep saying this. This part of your post doesn't make sense.

- The reapers/starchild believe that in order to prolong the existence of sentient life (not all), it needs to get rid of synthetics, which will eventually destroy organics.
- The fact that the Geth are helping us now doesn't mean shit. Geth generally function on logic rather than feelings, expand much faster and are superior to organics. What the starchild basically means is that it is very possible that in the future, synthetics will turn against organics (when they're no longer useful, when they're completely overpowered or whatever you can think of) and they want to prevent that (also prevent the synthetics from becoming too powerful).
- By eradicating all synthetics and organics that are capable of creating synthetics, you give other, newly blooming or yet primitive organic life the chance to evolve and bloom. They're not murdering every sentient life, they're not trying to save all sentient life, they're trying to ensure the existence of organic life as a whole. Current powerful species in mass effect =/= All sentient life.

I'm not saying that his logic isn't flawed (as that's the point of the ending), I'm just trying to understand what the problem is.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
SpaceBat said:
TheCommanders said:
I could honestly live with him being alive *or* dead, but frickin' decide! Give an ending, not more open-to-interpretation-non-committed-unexplained bullshit!
I actually like it when game developers/movie writers don't treat us as a child by chewing out everything and actually let certain things up to the viewer to decide.

My problem with his survival is more on how he was able to survive, not what happens afterwards.
He's not entirely synthetic. He's still got a considerable amount of fleshy bits in him.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
He's not entirely synthetic. He's still got a considerable amount of fleshy bits in him.
I didn't mean to ask how he survived the anti-mecha beam of death, I meant that I don't get how he survived the huge explosion and the possible crash to earth, as he was in the middle of all of it.

Shepard is quite strong, but he's not that strong.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well, it was completely unnecessary.

Dissatisfied people: "But where did the crew go after the beam sequence?"
Other people: "The Normandy probably picked them up."

And then, what a surprise, the Normandy picked them up.

DP: "But why was the Normandy so far away?"
OP: "They probably didn't want to stick around in case the Crucible fucked shit up."

And then, what a surprise, there was an organized rendezvous out of the system.

DP: "But what happened to the Normandy after crashing?"
OP: "Well, it's not like there are people on board who are capable of fixing ships. Probably did that and went on their way."

And then, although it wasn't shown exactly how, the ship was able to, and did, go on its way.

DP: "But what happened to all the other races like the krogan who I saved form the genophage?"
OP: "Probably rebuilt and made babies or whatever."

And then, what a surprise, they rebuilt and made babies or whatever.

DP: "But if the mass relays explode, wouldn't they destroy the systems they're in?"
OP: "They don't explode. Nothing affected by the space magic was ever shown exploding. In fact the Reapers themselves were shown basically being EMPed."

And then, what a surprise, the relays didn't explode.

DP: "But what happens to galactic civilization with the relays destroyed?"
OP: "Probably fucking rebuilt."

And then, what a surprise, they rebuilt.

And yes, every one of those is something that I've heard and seen answered before today.

Apparently no one can believe anything anymore unless it's given directly to them.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Phlakes said:
Yeah, pretty much. The extended cut concentrated less on fixing actual issues and more on explaining situations for people who didn't have the time or capacity to think these things up themselves. Nearly everything that has been added, was already explained by people with functioning braincells a long time ago and only a few of the glaring issues were legitimately fixed.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Maybe the nonfunctioning but still existing synthetic parts of him make him a resilient bastard?

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
I'll just copy-paste what I said in the other ME3 EC thread:

Admiral Stukov said:
Well I just wrote an extensive... thing about it. It's wasting space at the review section, see link if you're for some reason interested.
My ramblings about the ME3 EC. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.380045-Mass-Effect-3-EC-my-thoughts#14921611]

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
It could have been worse.

They could have made you pay for that EC DLC.

I was beginning to question whether I was wise returning my copy of ME3 coming up to this DLC .... I no longer question it.

Was worth watching on Youtube but wouldn't have been worth playing through it again just for, what is essentially, a longer version of the shit we already had.

I just feel a bit bad for Vault. She was so hoping for that Indoctrination Theory to pull through and they gave her this.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
SpaceBat said:
Phlakes said:
Yeah, pretty much. The extended cut concentrated less on fixing actual issues and more on explaining situations for people who didn't have the time or capacity to think these things up themselves. Nearly everything that has been added, was already explained by people with functioning braincells a long time ago and only a few of the glaring issues were legitimately fixed.
It's strange, I have a lot more respect for the people who still aren't satisfied. Anyone who thinks this makes it right in their eyes is pretty much admitting to, like you said, not having the time or capacity to think. At least everyone else has good reasons.