Spore, most innovative game ever ?

SilentScope001

Dec 26, 2007
actually its part single and part multiplayer game meaning that while u play the game other ppl's content will be downloaded
But the content is still controlled by AI. So it is still purely SP.

You don't expect a Spore player to log in one day just to find out his race that he has raised for 6 months has been genocided last night, and his planet been converted into a huge fast food restraunt.

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
Instead of calling spore "the most innovative game ever" call it "the game with the most potential for player created humor."

Gigantor

Dec 26, 2007
For 'player created humour' read 'races of giant, walking phalluses, armed with willy guns and living in penis houses.' Call me a cynic but I've been around just long enough to know that when you give a gamer the tools, most of us will produce filth.

Including me! Yay!

First person to mention Freud gets a slap...

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
SilentScope001 said:
actually its part single and part multiplayer game meaning that while u play the game other ppl's content will be downloaded
But the content is still controlled by AI. So it is still purely SP.

You don't expect a Spore player to log in one day just to find out his race that he has raised for 6 months has been genocided last night, and his planet been converted into a huge fast food restraunt.
I'd expect conquering someone to be a long process in which they have many ways to protect themselves, but it's never going to happen :p

Call me a cynic but I've been around just long enough to know that when you give a gamer the tools, most of us will produce filth.

Including me! Yay!
Penis Lion vs Boob Walrus.

The penis lion will attack via a thrusting motion with its giant purple head, and release chemicals to mark its terit....wait, too far?

Carbon016

Nov 13, 2007
It's based on a natural process that has been occurring for millions of years..it's hardly innovative, except for the fact that someone decided to make a game out of it.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Gigantor said:
For 'player created humour' read 'races of giant, walking phalluses, armed with willy guns and living in penis houses.' Call me a cynic but I've been around just long enough to know that when you give a gamer the tools, most of us will produce filth.

Including me! Yay!

First person to mention Freud gets a slap...
:)

Filth in games is fun.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
In my opinion, Spore looks like the most fucking amazing videogame ever created in the history of the multiverse. It is the end result of decades of videogame evolution, from Pong to Super Mario to Zelda to Goldeneye to Half-Life to World of Warcraft and, finally, Spore. Think of it as the homo sapien of videogames.

The Poet

Jan 2, 2008
I wouldn't go ask far as that Spleen, but it will be an amazing game. I am excited for it but until I get a date or a month, or even an year, I'm still keeping my excitement for GTA IV and Burnout Paradise.

xVladx

Dec 26, 2007
At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic, at best. It all sounds good on paper, but we haven't really seen a whole lot of actual "game" in the game yet. Yes, being able to design everything from your species' appearance to their buildings and vehicles is neat, but if you strip all that away, what's left? From the videos we've seen so far, each individual section seems fairly straightforward, with what seems like very little depth.

I imagine that (hopefully) this is the sort of thing that they're taking the time to implement. All the snazzy procedurally generated animations in the world won't mean a thing if you're bored with the actual game in a day or so.

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
xVladx said:
All the snazzy procedurally generated animations in the world won't mean a thing if you're bored with the actual game in a day or so.
I watched the 32 min long version of the spore demo. Aside from the fact that Will Wright used word "Procedural" to describe every element of the game, I was impressed. Not the kind of "impressed" when I first saw Sim City. I certainly don't see much innovation with the game modes individually, but when they are put together with the ability to share your creations on a giant social network, I see a great deal of potential in the communities it will create. That's what games are really about, connecting with people, sharing ideas and having a good time while doing it. Hopefully EA will nail the community aspect. They did a great job with The Sims Exchange. EA knows that no one fucks with Will Wright's games and lives to talk about it.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
I'm fascinated by the concept of this one but think the actual game itself would bore me to tears. It fits neatly into the free-roaming/sandbox/create-your-own-content movement that's been growing wildly in the last few years (epitomized by Halo 3's Forge I think, it being a game no one thought they would be able to customize).

I'm afraid Spore's efforts will be lost by its lack of direction as you'll essentially be getting multiple games without actual endings, the first few just transform into another game once you get to a certain point and the last one turns the universe into a sandbox. What if the tribe game part is your favorite bit? Can you create a game locked into that era with a set ending, a la Civilization scenario's?

Spore seems to me to be rather unguided, especially when compared to something like LittleBigPlanet, which also appeals to me in a similar vein but seems to have a more tangible direction and sense of purpose.

Then again, I left Sim City behind me ages ago and wasn't too interested in the Sims so maybe I just fall outside the audience these days.

I'll be watching this one evolving intently though, just as I like to read up on Second Life from the sidelines.

Aside:
Talking genitalia will be a part of everybody's universe if the shared content isn't filtered. And whatever you say, there's definately hilarity in the prospect of seeing the yellow and the purple penis-people go to war in some kind of nuclear equipped version of a pissing or measuring contest... Not to mention the vulva-faced critters from planet 328... Youtube will go a riot with this game.

RabbitDynamite

Dec 31, 2007
Ooooh,first post. Anyways, while I am looking forward to Spore, I can't see how you can call it innovative when big Willy has basically admitted that the game is inspired by a whole bunch of other genres mish-mashed together. Hell even the "evolving lifeform" gimmick has been done by a couple of obscure sim games and a cult16 bit title I can't remember at the moment. The worry is if the team can make the whole thing gell into one awesome game that charts the rise of a species to emperors of the galaxy or a whole bunch of mediocre games which insist on yanking you right out of your "Populous-lite" just when you're getting into it in favour of "diet Civ". But I'm optimistic that even if it turns out to be a car-crash design wise, the game will still be fun. Prattling about wise game design is all well and good, but at the end of the day people just want to make some purple and lime creature with eyes on it's arms and TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD! No?

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
sathie said:
In Fable the trees grow. I bet you didn't know that.
I laughed.

Yeah, alright, so Maxis may have suddenly contracted the Molyneux Syndrome, but at least they're putting an enormous amount of development time into designing the game and producing results from it. I mean, when do we see films and screenies of Molyneux's games from the team themselves? Months before release? Spore has been teasing fans for the past year or so. Obviously they're making some progress, albeit bordering on vaporware, rather than fantasy, unrealistic goals.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
I personally can't wait for Spore. I'm going to make a bunch of creatures that look like Alphabet letters, and have them wage war on one another. Also, for kicks, the kingdoms of F, U, C, and K will be right next to eachother.

I think this world would be much better if God had my sophisticated sense of humor.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
jaisimar_chelsea said:
Frapple said:
A God game focused on evolution, first class irony.

If Spore contained a multiplayer feature in which all players were in the same universe, rather than downloaded and controlled by some random AI. The game would be awesome, mass slaughter of innocent children's creations. Bliss.

Shame it's single player.
True. It's supposed to be 'Massivly Single-player'. I've seen a poll that indicates 1 in 5 people who want to get Spore are going to Blow the crap out of anything they see once they get to the space phase.

Newbie-Killing jerks aside, this has got to be the most creative and original game I've ever heard of.
No, Bioshock isn't original
No, Halo (pick any in a Trilogy) isn't original
Spore is original. Anyone tell me a game that 100% of the stuff you see in game is editable by you. Planets, NPC creatures, plants, buildings, star systems... etc. Everything!
Anyone at'all?

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
wilsonscrazybed said:
PurpleRain said:
The first thing I'm going to (as I've stated previously) is creat a race of giant penis's. Why? Because it's immature, playing with a mature game engine. A race of penis's first battle the elements, creat a tribe, a ciclizations... penis's with guns and tanks! Nah, my penis's will ride in EVA's!! Then they will go on and conqure distant planets in order of there giant penis overlord! BWAHAHAHA!!

Wow, I used the word penis alot just then.
Freud might have something to say about this post...
Sometimes a penis is just a penis.

cattypat

Oct 31, 2007
The massivly single player just screams social networking and obsessive tinkerer's dream.

However with all these promises and scale of things, it may implode and turn into an arcadey experience or an overcomplicated buggy mess with fiddly editing tools. Not to mention the graphics are probably going to be bland, multiplatform and time to develop being the culprits.

And then there's the worse part. EA. 'Nuff said in most cases but I'll give you a taster of their most memorable features - Unskippable EA Logo on every boot, horrific internet support - despite sometimes having a sell now>patch later policy, bugs from being pushed out too early - to be fixed as "features" in expansions, blatent graphics/bug problems from pushing Nvidia GPU+Intel CPU support.

Talking about expansions, EA has probably planned out a dozen already with the time the marketing division has been given, and will "hold back" key features as selling points for these.

If you don't think atleast some will be true, just look at black and white!

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
HSIAMetalKing said:
I personally can't wait for Spore. I'm going to make a bunch of creatures that look like Alphabet letters, and have them wage war on one another. Also, for kicks, the kingdoms of F, U, C, and K will be right next to eachother.

I think this world would be much better if God had my sophisticated sense of humor.
Or existed at all.

I too plan on spelling things out, so when my planet gets downloaded to another persons computer, they will have a welcome message :D