SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.

And that's why you're in sports journalism. Please tell me you've used that line in your work; don't waste that kind of gold on a low-traffic online forum.
I was a little more sly about it on the air. I believe (after pausing for effect) I used the phrase "joyous resolution." Mostly I just did it to screw with the co-host as I dropped it just ahead of him having to move on to the next headline.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I was a little more sly about it on the air. I believe (after pausing for effect) I used the phrase "joyous resolution." Mostly I just did it to screw with the co-host as I dropped it just ahead of him having to move on to the next headline.
Love it. Though I think it would have been worth it to risk the more overt "happy ending" so NO ONE could miss the joke. Still... gold. You made my day.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia

Johnny Gaudreau to Columbus for $15mil less than Calgary was offering
ha
hahahahaha
hahahahahahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

I've been too busy to post recently so I missed out on celebrating the Avs win but obviously I'm over the moon. Been a long time since we won with what was probably our best team ever in 2001. Got a good young core to go around again before extensions have to come up too. Sport in Denver is sailing along smoothly for once just don't bring up the Rockies pls.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

ha
hahahahaha
hahahahahahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

I've been too busy to post recently so I missed out on celebrating the Avs win but obviously I'm over the moon. Been a long time since we won with what was probably our best team ever in 2001. Got a good young core to go around again before extensions have to come up too. Sport in Denver is sailing along smoothly for once just don't bring up the Rockies pls.
I know jack shit about hockey, but the Blue Jackets are my hometown team. I cheered for them once in bar here in Texas when they were playing against the Stars. BJs won, and I was not a popular person that night. Didn't help when I admitted to a lot of gutted Stars fans afterwards that I didn't even care and had no idea what I was watching. It was beautiful.

Reactions: Offworlder

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.

ha
hahahahaha
hahahahahahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

AHHH, the 2001 Avs. Even as a Blackhawks fan, when Sakic just handed the cup over to Ray Bourque... holy crap. I was seriously having to try real hard not to cry openly in front of all my pals. The one who was a big Boston fan turned to the rest of us and said, "Sorry guys, I have something in my eye. It's tears, I'm actually crying right now."

Reactions: Offworlder

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

TL;DR? A Belgian commentator called Formula 1 [pay]driver Lance Stroll "the autistic" during the Austrain GP during the live broadcast. Then went on to defend it, during the live broadcast, when his partner in the broadcast said he'd gone too far with that comment. What an idiot. Look, I'm no fan of Stroll by any means, but given that F1 has been under a lot of scrutiny for a litany of abuses lately, a professional within the sport's commentary should know better than to say something that not only directly attacks a driver, but also makes light of mental illness. He's suspended now, but I'm sure he'll be fired in the next 20 or so minutes.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I meant the old design. It would've been enough in this case, imo.
Just found this. The roll structure of the "old design" completely failed. The only thing that kept Zhou from catching almost 800kg of F1 car with his head was the halo. So I maintain, sans the halo, Zhou would "almost" certainly have been killed.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Just found this. The roll structure of the "old design" completely failed. The only thing that kept Zhou from catching almost 800kg of F1 car with his head was the halo. So I maintain, sans the halo, Zhou would "almost" certainly have been killed.
AFAIK the cars before the halo design were not death traps upon flipping. Have drivers survived flipped cars before? Yes. Can a modern F1 take damage similarly? Not in the same parts, but that's why the halo is there.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
AFAIK the cars before the halo design were not death traps upon flipping. Have drivers survived flipped cars before? Yes. Can a modern F1 take damage similarly? Not in the same parts, but that's why the halo is there.
Okay, so if Zhou was in a differently designed car, he would have been okay? Fine, I'll concede; the older design might have been more readily protective in the Zhou incident. But we're in the modern era of F1; downplaying the severity of the crash and the significance of what the halo did in his modern F1 car in this incident is a bit like saying it's no big deal; NASCAR cars flip over all the time and drivers are safe because they have roll cages.

We don't have to agree on what "probably" would have happened; if you want to be more pragmatically optimistic, that's fine; I'm just glad Zhou Guanyu made it out ok.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh man... Alfa is steadily steering away from the middle of the pack and into the shitbox category.
Yeah, disappointing race yesterday. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd be elated to see Bottas pass a Haas to not finish dead last in a race where he had no objectively observable issues. I don't know what's going on at AR. I know the new designs and regs affected all teams for 2022, but most seem to have adjusted and improved whereas Alfa Romeo started strong and have since stagnated. I really hope they get their act together and salvage what started out as a redeeming season.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Kyler Murray finally got his coveted +200M contract... but he's being forced to study 4 hours a week during the season.

I don't know how to feel about this. On the side of the Cardinals, was it really necessary to stipulate in writing that he can't watch TV or play videogames during these study sessions, treating the face of their franchise and leader of their team like a child? And on Murray's side, being treated like a child so publicly? I mean, for $200M, I'd study 40 hours a week while wearing a diaper, sucking a pacifier, and I'd live stream every minute of it, but still, the league is filled with guys pulling down millions of dollars, how condescending is it that they'd point to this ONE guy and put in his contract that he HAS to study film for a very specific period of time every week? I'm surprised they didn't also stipulate that there'd be a quiz after each study session since he's apparently not a 24-year-old man in a professional sports league, but a 14-year-old boy in high school trying to keeps his grades up to stay eligible to play.

I won't pretend to know everything bout NFL contracts, but I know there's the expectation that every player study film. I also know some players take it more seriously than others. Why is Kyler being so specifically and publicly singled out? How little faith do the Cardinals have in him that they felt the need to literally spell it out to him like this, and if little faith is the issue, why the substantial contract?

@Kyrian007, man-splain this to me.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Kyler Murray finally got his coveted +200M contract... but he's being forced to study 4 hours a week during the season.

I don't know how to feel about this. On the side of the Cardinals, was it really necessary to stipulate in writing that he can't watch TV or play videogames during these study sessions, treating the face of their franchise and leader of their team like a child? And on Murray's side, being treated like a child so publicly? I mean, for $200M, I'd study 40 hours a week while wearing a diaper, sucking a pacifier, and I'd live stream every minute of it, but still, the league is filled with guys pulling down millions of dollars, how condescending is it that they'd point to this ONE guy and put in his contract that he HAS to study film for a very specific period of time every week? I'm surprised they didn't also stipulate that there'd be a quiz after each study session since he's apparently not a 24-year-old man in a professional sports league, but a 14-year-old boy in high school trying to keeps his grades up to stay eligible to play.

I won't pretend to know everything bout NFL contracts, but I know there's the expectation that every player study film. I also know some players take it more seriously than others. Why is Kyler being so specifically and publicly singled out? How little faith do the Cardinals have in him that they felt the need to literally spell it out to him like this, and if little faith is the issue, why the substantial contract?

@Kyrian007, man-splain this to me.
Strangely enough, I think it was best woman 'splained if I can quote an article from TotalProSports:

"Arizona sports reporter Sarah Kezele pointed to a quote from last year where Murray described himself as someone who’s “not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film.” Murray said back in 2021 that he could visualize what was going on during games thanks to great cognitive skills. Because of that, he thought he did not need to watch a lot of film."

So basically, he was singled out because of something kind of stupid he said. He should have stuck with a boiler plate sports cliché. It is actually the blessing and bane of the "sports cliché" as best explained by Crash Davis in Bull Durham.

“You’re gonna have to learn your clichés. You’re going to have to study them. You’re going to have to know them. They’re your friends. Write this down. We’ve got to play them one day at a time.”

Of the Bull Durham sports clichés, Kyler Murray should have gone with...

“I’m just happy to be here. Hope I can help the ball club. I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord will be willing, things will work out.”

Bane, because we get sick of hearing them. Blessing because it is an easy sound byte/quote to put into a story because it always "works" and sounds good. Makes for a good story that fits into an easy "template" and takes a few minutes to write, and about 30 seconds to read so it fits into a 2 minute sportscast easily. As for why the Cardinals gave him the big contract while appearing to have "less confidence." The terms of the contract were pretty pro-Cardinals. He got a big number, but the terms were pretty favorable to the Cardinals overall. Also, even though there were some big names that were floating around in the off-season, QB's are at a premium. And if your team has "their guy..." well, you do what you have to hold on to him. And (complete speculation here) say if the Cardinals found out some other team or teams were "sniffing around" "their guy." Well, you do what you have to. Maybe they initially thought they could pick up someone like Baker Mayfield as a backup, who really could compete for the starting job, and drive down Murray's asking price. And then that didn't happen.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Fair enough, I guess; just the very specific language doesn't sit well with me. I mean, I get what he said in the past might give the team some hesitance as to his reliability and apparent ego unbefitting his performance, but to single him out so specifically, and in his contract no less, over that alone seems petty and demeaning. I can see him getting teased in the locker room when he "has to study." Look, even his coach has started ribbing him...

1658934819576.png

Either trust the guy and treat him with the due respect and dignity you'd offer the leader of your team, or cut him short, and let his lack of film study prove itself out on field where he can't complain he's underpaid while also not meeting team expectations.

Tell me I'm wrong, but I imagine it's pretty difficult to gauge where lack of film study affects performance on field. I mean, you can't say a QB threw an interception because he didn't learn an opposing defensive scheme watching video. You can't objectively say "had you seen 'X' in the film room, 'Y' wouldn't have happened," can you? Basically, if he adheres to his mandated study regimen, and the Cardinals go 8-9 (they won't, I'm sure,) is whoever put that specific "study" language in his contract going to eat crow, a losing record despite publicly shoving the team's leader's nose "in a book?"

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Fair enough, I guess; just the very specific language doesn't sit well with me. I mean, I get what he said in the past might give the team some hesitance as to his reliability and apparent ego unbefitting his performance, but to single him out so specifically, and in his contract no less, over that alone seems petty and demeaning. I can see him getting teased in the locker room when he "has to study." Look, even his coach has started ribbing him...

View attachment 6673

Either trust the guy and treat him with the due respect and dignity you'd offer the leader of your team, or cut him short, and let his lack of film study prove itself out on field where he can't complain he's underpaid while also not meeting team expectations.

Tell me I'm wrong, but I imagine it's pretty difficult to gauge where lack of film study affects performance on field. I mean, you can't say a QB threw an interception because he didn't learn an opposing defensive scheme watching video. You can't objectively say "had you seen 'X' in the film room, 'Y' wouldn't have happened," can you? Basically, if he adheres to his mandated study regimen, and the Cardinals go 8-9 (they won't, I'm sure,) is whoever put that specific "study" language in his contract going to eat crow, a losing record despite publicly shoving the team's leader's nose "in a book?"
Well, he's been with the team long enough to know what their expectations are. Again it is speculation, but what that language in a contract says to me was they have addressed this concern with him before. And he still publicly responded to a question with that statement. THAT might be when you start discussing putting such things into a contract. I'll grant you its pretty extreme as a reaction. Probably goes too far. But putting it into a contract isn't something just one person did on a whim. That is something the coaches and the owner and the gm (and maybe a few more people) actively discussed. To me, that says there's something there.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, he's been with the team long enough to know what their expectations are. Again it is speculation, but what that language in a contract says to me was they have addressed this concern with him before. And he still publicly responded to a question with that statement. THAT might be when you start discussing putting such things into a contract. I'll grant you its pretty extreme as a reaction. Probably goes too far. But putting it into a contract isn't something just one person did on a whim. That is something the coaches and the owner and the gm (and maybe a few more people) actively discussed. To me, that says there's something there.
You're probably right. I don't mean to victimize Murray; more than likely there've been some actions/inactions on his part that merited making expectations with a substantive contract very clear, it's just how public it's been over the past couple of days; it's almost all anyone is talking about with preseason looming in the near future. Basically, if you're going to put Murray on blast, tell us WHY you're putting him on blast. His business is already out there; the least they can do is give us some context to go along with it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Daniil Kvyat, former Formula 1 driver for Alpha Tauri, is making his NASCAR debut this weekend! I've been falling out of love with NASCAR recently, but moves like this (and the legend Kimi Raikkonen trying his hand at stock cars soon) somewhat reinvigorates my interest. If either of them actually manages to be competitive (let alone win,) I'll be all in again.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Welp, it's official; my 49ers have moved on to Trey Lance; Garoppolo is out of the starting QB position.

I personally was of the camp to give Jimmy one more year, but since I wasn't invited to any OTAs or training camp (AGAIN,) I wasn't privy to see what leadership and coaches saw to make this the "right move."

What really irks me though are the pundits. Watching NFL Now, and they actually threw up a graphic comparing Lance to Patrick Mahomes, showing their rookie years versus their second year, and how similar they are, i.e.: Mahomes had two starts on a 10-6 team his first year and went on to be the MVP the next, and Lance is almost identically aligned with his upcoming second year TBD. C'mon now; you can't compare Lance to a unicorn based on numbers alone, so suggesting those kind of lofty expectations is completely unreasonable. Lance is NOT Mahomes; few QBs are. Don't get me wrong, if he turns out to be the next Mahomes, I'll be elated, but even suggesting it on some arbitrary numbers that aren't indicators of actual ability puts the wrong idea in people's heads. As a Niner fan, I'm not expecting a Super Bowl next year. I'm not expecting Lance to win MVP. I'm not expecting his talent (which we've barely seen) to shake up the league the way Mahomes' did. I just want a winning season and confidence that the team is in good hands; let's save the "MVP" talk for when the season starts and we actually see what he's capable of.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Welp, it's official; my 49ers have moved on to Trey Lance; Garoppolo is out of the starting QB position.

I personally was of the camp to give Jimmy one more year, but since I wasn't invited to any OTAs or training camp (AGAIN,) I wasn't privy to see what leadership and coaches saw to make this the "right move."

What really irks me though are the pundits. Watching NFL Now, and they actually threw up a graphic comparing Lance to Patrick Mahomes, showing their rookie years versus their second year, and how similar they are, i.e.: Mahomes had two starts on a 10-6 team his first year and went on to be the MVP the next, and Lance is almost identically aligned with his upcoming second year TBD. C'mon now; you can't compare Lance to a unicorn based on numbers alone, so suggesting those kind of lofty expectations is completely unreasonable. Lance is NOT Mahomes; few QBs are. Don't get me wrong, if he turns out to be the next Mahomes, I'll be elated, but even suggesting it on some arbitrary numbers that aren't indicators of actual ability puts the wrong idea in people's heads. As a Niner fan, I'm not expecting a Super Bowl next year. I'm not expecting Lance to win MVP. I'm not expecting his talent (which we've barely seen) to shake up the league the way Mahomes' did. I just want a winning season and confidence that the team is in good hands; let's save the "MVP" talk for when the season starts and we actually see what he's capable of.
I think that in the right system, Lance could be a really potent asset. And I do think that SF has that system. He probably has better mobility positives than Mahomes actually, it will just be up to time to see if that mobility can adapt itself to his passing game like Mahomes did. Or, in other words, can he throw as accurately off balance and on the move... few could. But even half as good makes him pretty top tier if he can manage it. I know I'm hopeful he will do well. I like seeing FCS talent doing well in the NFL.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I think that in the right system, Lance could be a really potent asset. And I do think that SF has that system. He probably has better mobility positives than Mahomes actually, it will just be up to time to see if that mobility can adapt itself to his passing game like Mahomes did. Or, in other words, can he throw as accurately off balance and on the move... few could. But even half as good makes him pretty top tier if he can manage it. I know I'm hopeful he will do well. I like seeing FCS talent doing well in the NFL.
I just have a soft spot for Jimmy G., having gotten *this* close to winning it all with him over the past few years. I don't dislike Lance at all, and of course I hope he turns out great for us, I just hate the talking heads arbitrarily comparing him to the half-billion dollar QB who beat the Niners in our last Super Bowl appearance when we've basically seen nothing from him save a few snaps when he clearly wasn't ready to take the reins completely. But Lynch and Shanahan made the call for 2022, so I have to accept "he's ready" now.

Anyway it goes... LET'S GO FO' NINE!!!!