SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Pretty fun Formula 1 race in Barcelona yesterday. I don't typically like when the broadcast focuses only on the leaders/front of the field since a lot of midfield fights are more interesting, but watching Verstappen trying to chase down Russell and not being able to overtake despite all his reckless tactics was hilarious. Russell's defense was impeccable.
Max was pissed because he's a stubborn, spoiled brat; you could hear him on team radio complaining about his faulty DRS and cussing everyone out. I laughed even harder when the pit wall radioed him back and suggested that HE might be the problem, hitting the DRS button too many times, effectively turning it on then off again, and told him "only press it once, Max." When Perez (Verstappen's teammate) pulled up behind the fight and asked the team to tell Max to let him by so HE could do the job and get past Russell, I spit out my drink. Perez DID do the job, eventually netting a well-deserved P1... then the team told him to let Max back through. The entire F1 world (except the Dutch fans, bunch of orange Nazis) sighed in dismay. Perez on the team radio: "that's very unfair, but okay." Verstappen "won" yesterday.

My guy Bottas did some stellar driving to finish P6. He was as high as P3 at one point and it looked like he might actually bring me that coveted podium with Alfa Romeo, but questionable team strategy denied me that. Still proud of him as he's only losing out to objectively better cars.

I don't know what's going on at McLaren, though. They show flashes of brilliance and competitiveness, then struggle to get out of Q2. Ricciardo, man, I don't know what to say. You've driven at damn near every team on the grid, huffing and taking your "talent" elsewhere every other year, and then you underwhelm. Sorry, @Offworlder, but your guy needs to step it up; his next seat might not be "his choice."

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Pretty fun Formula 1 race in Barcelona yesterday. I don't typically like when the broadcast focuses only on the leaders/front of the field since a lot of midfield fights are more interesting, but watching Verstappen trying to chase down Russell and not being able to overtake despite all his reckless tactics was hilarious. Russell's defense was impeccable.
Max was pissed because he's a stubborn, spoiled brat; you could hear him on team radio complaining about his faulty DRS and cussing everyone out. I laughed even harder when the pit wall radioed him back and suggested that HE might be the problem, hitting the DRS button too many times, effectively turning it on then off again, and told him "only press it once, Max." When Perez (Verstappen's teammate) pulled up behind the fight and asked the team to tell Max to let him by so HE could do the job and get past Russell, I spit out my drink. Perez DID do the job, eventually netting a well-deserved P1... then the team told him to let Max back through. The entire F1 world (except the Dutch fans, bunch of orange Nazis) sighed in dismay. Perez on the team radio: "that's very unfair, but okay." Verstappen "won" yesterday.

My guy Bottas did some stellar driving to finish P6. He was as high as P3 at one point and it looked like he might actually bring me that coveted podium with Alfa Romeo, but questionable team strategy denied me that. Still proud of him as he's only losing out to objectively better cars.

I don't know what's going on at McLaren, though. They show flashes of brilliance and competitiveness, then struggle to get out of Q2. Ricciardo, man, I don't know what to say. You've driven at damn near every team on the grid, huffing and taking your "talent" elsewhere every other year, and then you underwhelm. Sorry, @Offworlder, but your guy needs to step it up; his next seat might not be "his choice."
I was only saying to someone at work today that Riccardo is on thin ice across the board really. I'm not gonna say hes a bad driver (8 wins is 8 wins) but as he's gone on and jumped through teams it really is starting to seem like he massively benefited from the Red Bull car when he was there and successful. The excuse that the Renault car was weak doesn't work with Ocon getting a win and podiums and he can't be a 'developmental' driver while also trying to be a competitive driver. It doesn't help that Bottas is having a wonderful season so far in a objectively worse car. I don't think he'll ever struggle for a drive in F1, he's personable and a marketing dream, but he's no spring chicken and obviously wants to compete. He needs to get his shit together or he'll be stuck as a guy who jumps around below average teams before long. Why he went to a team that has a far and away nuber one for possibly the next 15 years I'll never know, when he clearly wants to be the guy. Everyone thought he was gonna be better than Webber, now it turns out he might be Webber 2.0, which is some irony for Australian fans I'll tell ya.

Nice race from a drama standpoint, but no bangers thus far. Still, this battle between Max and LeClerc is looking to be getting spicy, which is only good for the sport. Checo may have killed a man after the race tho, may want to investigate that.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I was only saying to someone at work today that Riccardo is on thin ice across the board really. I'm not gonna say hes a bad driver (8 wins is 8 wins) but as he's gone on and jumped through teams it really is starting to seem like he massively benefited from the Red Bull car when he was there and successful. The excuse that the Renault car was weak doesn't work with Ocon getting a win and podiums and he can't be a 'developmental' driver while also trying to be a competitive driver. It doesn't help that Bottas is having a wonderful season so far in a objectively worse car. I don't think he'll ever struggle for a drive in F1, he's personable and a marketing dream, but he's no spring chicken and obviously wants to compete. He needs to get his shit together or he'll be stuck as a guy who jumps around below average teams before long. Why he went to a team that has a far and away nuber one for possibly the next 15 years I'll never know, when he clearly wants to be the guy. Everyone thought he was gonna be better than Webber, now it turns out he might be Webber 2.0, which is some irony for Australian fans I'll tell ya.
From the mouth of his boss: Ricciardo is not meeting team expectations.

Reactions: Offworlder

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Kimi "The Iceman" Räikkönen, recently retired from Formula 1, is set to race in NASCAR in August. I got really excited, but turns out it's just a one-off race; he won't be racing permanently. I was completely ready to jump ship from my current favorite NASCAR driver (Bubba Wallace; ) apparently my loyalties are pretty fickle under the right circumstances.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Kimi "The Iceman" Räikkönen, recently retired from Formula 1, is set to race in NASCAR in August. I got really excited, but turns out it's just a one-off race; he won't be racing permanently. I was completely ready to jump ship from my current favorite NASCAR driver (Bubba Wallace; ) apparently my loyalties are pretty fickle under the right circumstances.

IIRC he raced in the Truck Series after he left Ferrari.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
IIRC he raced in the Truck Series after he left Ferrari.
I think I saw something to that effect, but I don't follow Truck Series enough to have known. I'll watch it if nothing else is on, but I won't seek it out. Honestly, I'm falling out of love with NASCAR entirely. It's just boring anymore. This weekend was the calendar's only 4-stage race in Charlotte; I went to bed before the end of the first stage. But I'd watch Kimi fold laundry if it was televised, so am looking forward to his August appearance. Maybe he'll wreck and his car will burst into snow because he's too cool to burst into flames. Will be a bit longer walk to his yacht, though...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Frank Gore came home to retire. Not going to lie, I teared up. Gore was basically the best thing going for my Niners for a while; the fact that he always felt his home was San Francisco... God bless this man. Frank "The Tank," welcome home. Too many players nowadays chase the money, their devotion going to the highest bidder; Gore never left The Bay even though the suits mandated otherwise. I only wish he could have finished his career on the field in the #21 at Levi; run 'em down one more time. Incredible Niner, incredible man, incredible career; sending you off in the Red and Gold is bittersweet, but so deserved. #LetsGoFoNine

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Meh weekend of Formula 1 at the Azerbaijan GP. Bottas started 15th and finished 11th, but even that was generous given 4 cars DNF'd. He just didn't seem to have the pace all weekend, and Baku has traditionally been one of his best circuits. He got out-qualified by his own teammate (Zhou) who all season has been well behind Bottas; of Alfa Romeo's whopping 41 points, Bottas supplied 40 of them.

Disastrous for Ferrari; both Ferraris (LeClerc and Sainz,) a Haas (Magnussen,) and an Alfa Romeo (Zhou) all didn't finish the race due to mechanical issues, 3 of those due to failure of their Ferrari-powered engines. Hopefully, they're all similar issues that they can address collectively; if they're all different problems.... well, that's a problem.

And we play a drinking game during race coverage: take a shot every time someone says "porpoising." We don't actually take shots, but if we did, we'd be dead in minutes. Porpoising is the effect of the cars rapidly bouncing up and down due to the new aerodynamics; it's been a huge issue with this year's designs. In-car cameras show the drivers' heads bobbing up and down very violently. Lewis Hamilton, arguably porposing's biggest victim, could be seen in obvious pain trying to get out of his car; it's reported he's having back issues due to the porpoising. The only driver not complaining about it is Fernando Alonso, but I think that's just because as the oldest driver on the grid with the second longest career in F1 history, his entire body is a callous. He's basically Aunt Edna continuing to eat the sandwich despite learning her dog had pissed on it.

1655214934127.png

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Warriors get their 4th ring. Pretty much what I expected. Steph Curry's legacy was already cemented before this, but now he's built a nice two-story house on that cement. He's getting a little old now but I think there's a good chance he outstrips Lebron for rings by the time they both retire.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
3-time Formula 1 world champion Nelson Piquet has been banned from F1 paddocks for the use of a racial slur in regards to 7-time WDC Lewis Hamilton (the lone black driver on the grid) last year during the Silverstone GP after he collided with reigning F1 champion Max Verstappen... who just so happens to be dating his daughter. I don't know how to feel about this.

Knee-jerk, as a black man myself, I want to be satisfied that Piquet has been appropriately punished. On the other hand, as it turns out, the word Piquet used is common and apparently inoffensive In Brazilian culture, used in reference to people of every color with no [overt] racial connotation. Piquet has formally apologized (as expected,) and doesn't defend his use of the word, but explains his intent was nothing disrespectful.

This is the kind of situation that you simply can't make everyone happy. Do nothing, and infuriate those that support a man that has dominated the sport in convincing fashion for a long time all the while dodging hate from fans. Doesn't help that the term "slipped" out following a collision with Piquet's daughter's boyfriend, so bias might have affected his better judgment. Do something, and upset the F1 purists who see a legend of the sport slighted for what they probably deem to be "nothing" by a whiney kid who loves to "stir the pot." They're already claiming Hamilton's podium a couple weeks ago went to his head and reinvigorated his "political agenda" (because equality and inclusiveness are an "agenda" apparently...)

I may not be a fan of Hamilton, but through a lot of his hate, he's shown little more than class and decorum. As far as I know, he never demanded any action from the FIA against Piquet, but calmly asked for the expectation of acceptance and inclusion within his sport, and zero tolerance for hate speech which is, in my mind, entirely reasonable. I'd hate to show up to my job every day feeling like I can be verbally attacked with no consequence for my attackers.

I think maybe the paddock ban might have been a bit harsh, but then, I don't know what else they could have done. Anyway, the 2022 Silverstone GP is this weekend; I'm sure we'll hear more than enough mentions of this situation (along with porpoising.) Can't wait to hear Crofty shit his pants if Max and Lewis ever find themselves side-by-side going into a turn...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Relatively exciting Formula GP in Silverstone on Sunday. Carlos Sainz picked up his first F1 victory, and as one of the few non-Bottas drivers I like, I'm happy for him. Ferrari continues to be the team to beat while Red Bull keeps their elbows out and Mercedes wants to play too.

The highlight of the day though was the crash that happened within seconds of lights out on the first lap, hell the first turn! Zhou Guanyu's car collided with George Russell, flipped over and he skidded on his head for what looked to be about 30-40 yards before flipping over the tyre barrier and being caught by the fencing just feet from spectators. It was scary, and had it not been for the halo that a lot of old-time F1 purists have derided since its inception, Zhou would have almost certainly been killed. He thankfully came away unharmed. It's incredible the speeds they were able to achieve so quickly to even make such an incident possible. After the red flag was official, Russell got out of his car and ran to check on Zhou, not doubt atoning for his behavior in Imola last year where he caused a wreck between himself and Bottas whereupon he ran to Bottas' wreckage and slapped him on the helmet.

Long story short, the races for the championship titles continue to be interesting ones. Austria GP this weekend...

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
It was scary, and had it not been for the halo that a lot of old-time F1 purists have derided since its inception, Zhou would have almost certainly been killed.
They had those reinforced "crests" (don't really know what they are called) for car flips, so maybe not almost certainly.

Also unlucky Alfas. Bottas did botch his start even with Zhou... clearing some space. And then the car breaks down. lmao

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
They had those reinforced "crests" (don't really know what they are called) for car flips, so maybe not almost certainly.

Also unlucky Alfas. Bottas did botch his start even with Zhou... clearing some space. And then the car breaks down. lmao
It's called a "halo;" I said without it, Zhou would almost certainly been killed. It's what saved Romain Grosjean's life a couple years ago in Bahrain when he went into a metal barrier; his car split in two and burst into a massive fireball. Never mind the fire, had it not been for his halo, he would have been decapitated. The halo bent the metal rail up and away from his head allowing the front of his car to to go under "safely."

And yeah, I think if Bottas could figure out the start, he'd be much more successful. It seems everyone gets the jump on him damn near every race. I watch the positions ticker on the side of my screen, and it seems he's always a position or two down from where he started within the first lap. I think he's a bit too conservative going into the first turn of the race where chaos most often happens. Shit like Zhou's crash reminds even the most seasoned drivers that their sport is extremely dangerous, and aggression could cost them their life.

EDIT: and oh, Alfa Romeo needs to get their shit together. Doesn't matter how well Bottas or Zhou drive if their fucking car can't finish a race.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So apparently, several of the Ferrari team refused to participate in team celebrations after Carlos Sainz won the Silverstone GP in lieu of his teammate Charles LeClerc. Team orders favored Sainz's lead [given the circumstances] and ostensibly crippled LeClerc, I get it, but at nearly 200mph, the team has to think quickly, and risking team points over driver points is probably hard to juggle given it takes all of a split second for a potentially bad decision to take your race from working to disastrous.

Still, not celebrating with your team is petty. I'm curious how the line was drawn, like, was it the part of the team in LeClerc's garage who held out? He's been having a great season, a testament to all their hard work; getting beat by his teammate ONE time is enough to throw such a public hissy fit? It was Sainz's first win; LeClerc has had several, and both drivers finished in great points for the team; celebrate the win with your team and move on. But F1 is unique in that it IS a team sport, but your teammate is your worst enemy; that much is understood. But if we've come to a place in the sport where any adrenaline-fueled animosity on track bleeds into the garages, someone needs to reassess.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
1657543496773.png

As much as that meme pains me, it IS funny.

Taking yet another new, Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) and several other components before yesterday's Austrian GP, Valtteri Bottas was forced to start the race not only dead last, but from the pit lane. He managed to crawl up to P10 and into the points after a lengthy scrap with Alex Albon only to see the place taken by Fernando Alonso behind him on a faster compound of tyre in the final lap. Gutted...

Otherwise, was an interesting race. Lots of action, fighting and overtaking. Max Verstappen took pole, and right out of the gate, looked like a man running from a pack of wolves with both Ferraris right behind him. And not unlike wild animals, the Ferrari's ended up tangling, focusing too much on the fight with each other, while Verstappen quietly pulled away. Wouldn't last though; Ferrari got their act together, and after Sainz was forced to retire his #55 after his engine blew up and caught fire, LeClerc became the lone wolf who hunted Max down and took the win.

But Haas? HAAS??? What an amazing drive by BOTH Haas drivers!! If you'd have told me last year that this year, Lewis Hamilton in a Mercedes would struggle getting by Mick Schumacher in a Haas, I'd have pissed my pants from laughing in your face. But it's real; under the right circumstances, Haas are competitive.

Lastly, the smoke flares in the stands have got to go. I'm all for supporting your driver, but if that support means obstructing the view of hundreds and thousands of people, broadcast cameras and the drivers on track, you need to get your obnoxious head out of your ass. I can't believe the FIA hasn't banned them. I mean, they went after Hamilton for a nose ring, but they let fans bring in literal smoke that covers the crowd and track. Never mind if you've got a breathing problem like asthma, you paid hundreds of dollars to barely be able to see anything.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh, Cleveland Browns; you're just not happy unless you're shitting the bed, are you? Give up on and release the player that finally made you contenders, and hire his replacement in a guy who might be facing a lengthy suspension if not complete termination. It's like someone in Cleveland realized everything they had going was too good to be true, and in an attempt to pinch themselves and wake up, they made the most Browns decision they could to come back to "reality." At this point, to complete the trifecta of stupid, they might as well re-hire Johnny Manziel; I'd pay good money to watch that shit show.

1657573756082.png

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I heard this radio communique during the race, and was curious why Alonso wasn't being more specific about his problem. Normally, drivers can't wait to tell their pit wall exactly what's on their minds, usually with a lot of swear words and condemnation for any other drivers near them at the time, so this one caught my attention. Now I know why; Alonso is a really crafty driver with keen situational awareness even at speed.

If anything the FIA caught him because he was TOO calm over the radio. No driver coming off a free pit stop under a virtual safety car would ask to immediately pit again and lose places with as few words as "box again," no specificity as to why, and, most importantly, no swearing. It's the equivalent of a parent getting suspicious of a typically noisy toddler suddenly going silent in another room.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Oh, Cleveland Browns; you're just not happy unless you're shitting the bed, are you? Give up on and release the player that finally made you contenders, and hire his replacement in a guy who might be facing a lengthy suspension if not complete termination. It's like someone in Cleveland realized everything they had going was too good to be true, and in an attempt to pinch themselves and wake up, they made the most Browns decision they could to come back to "reality." At this point, to complete the trifecta of stupid, they might as well re-hire Johnny Manziel; I'd pay good money to watch that shit show.

View attachment 6570
Yeah, seems like the Cleveland Browns can't possibly be expecting...

A happy ending.