SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Gutting weekend of football. Aaron Rodgers and the Packers fall to Tom Brady and the Buccaneers. Patrick Mahomes and his Chiefs bring down the up-and-coming Josh Allen and the Bills. That said, while not a single team I like is in the big game here in a couple of weeks… this might be one of the best Super Bowls in a LONG time. Truly the GOAT versus the next GOAT. Predictions? I have no fucking idea. Literally anything could happen. I could see a one-sided blowout. I could see a high-scoring shootout. I could see a low-scoring defensive game. I may not be happy about it, but I’m for DAMN sure getting my popcorn ready...
I'm back up for a radio sports anchor in Chiefs country, so for the sake of my job I have to be a Chiefs homer vocally. So I'll tell you all here on the Escapist what I can't say on the air. I think Chiefs v. Bucks is probably the least interesting matchup out of the ones possible considering who made the playoffs. Bills, the scrappy young underdogs. Browns, a cursed franchise finally getting a break... and then hammered by COVID at the last minute. Steelers, stellar start and then a comeback after a steep decline. Also a possible swan song for big Ben. The Team, breaking out after being dismal for decades the same year they ditch their offensive nickname. Plus the amazing comeback by Alex Smith... crazy good story. And there are good stories for the Chargers, Ravens... everyone else. And the best we can do is a QB duel between a guy that's been there umpteen times... and the guy who was there last year.

But you are absolutely right, this could be an epic game. The only thing I'm sure won't happen (and watch it happen of course) is Tampa Bay getting a boring blowout win. I think their path to victory would keep the score close. The Chiefs by contrast could win a close game, or could break it open into a runaway blowout (although generally that doesn't happen, just ask folks betting on them this year (maybe cover your ears first.)

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Totally agree. Watching what football I could this year has been amazing for all the very reasons you cited, all the “no way in hell” teams giving the league hell (except the Steelers; maybe it’s their color scheme, their history of relentless winning or the rape allegations levied at Big Ben that kinda went nowhere, but they’ve always had this villainous vibe to me,) but we landed exactly where the pundits said we would. Not an exciting story, but if both these QBs show up and bring their A-game, it’s going to be some great football to offset the lame story. Are we entering an era when the Super Bowl is analogous to the Pro Bowl? Where it's more exciting to watch the regular season than "the best" being elected to represent themselves in a meaningless game?

About the most interesting thing here is the point I made in my last post: The GOAT versus The Kid, the best of the past versus the best of the future, Darth Vader versus Luke Skywalker, etc. Problem is, between being worn out on TB12 wins and my team having lost in the final minutes of the Super Bowl to PM15 last year, I got no one to be excited for. So, I’ll probably just drink a ton of beer, eat a lot of pizza, pass out at halftime (because for fuck’s sake, go away, Weeknd,) wake up for the 4th quarter and act like “I called it,” whichever direction it’s leaning at the time.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Was only thinking this today. I know it's stupid complaining about 'two very good football teams playing well', but it's nowhere near as fun as say the Eagles winning, or Cam Newtons arc. As a neutral the stories are 'Brand New Dynasty, just as soon as the last one ended' or 'Old man Brady yells at prodigy'

Also, is Brady done after this, even if he can't pull it off? I kinda get the feeling that relentless drive in him will fuel at least one more year, each outcome gives him a different narrative (I was so close/I can go for the 8th ring). I would be even more in awe of the guy regardless, he's like Kimi Raikkonen but he wins.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Was only thinking this today. I know it's stupid complaining about 'two very good football teams playing well', but it's nowhere near as fun as say the Eagles winning, or Cam Newtons arc. As a neutral the stories are 'Brand New Dynasty, just as soon as the last one ended' or 'Old man Brady yells at prodigy'
I don't think anyone's "complaining" about the Bucs v Chiefs Super Bowl, it was just the nigh inevitability of it given how man exciting stories developed in the league this year. It's almost like having the ending of a really good movie spoiled; you can still watch and enjoy the film, but knowing "the butler did it" in then end kinda kills it for you.

Also, is Brady done after this, even if he can't pull it off? I kinda get the feeling that relentless drive in him will fuel at least one more year, each outcome gives him a different narrative (I was so close/I can go for the 8th ring). I would be even more in awe of the guy regardless, he's like Kimi Raikkonen but he wins.
Brady has already stated he's willing to play past the age of 45. As long as his body holds up and he avoids significant injury, we can all plan on being tired of him for a few more years. Which is sad, honestly. I don't dislike the man; he's a decent dude (he threw a touchdown pass to Drew Brees' kid after beating Brees in the NFC Championship game; how fucking wholesome is that??) well respected throughout the league, universally agreed to be THE G.O.A.T., about as perfect a league figurehead as you can get... but FUCK, let someone else win for once!

I was heartbroken watching Brees look over his shoulder during his likely final walk back to the locker room after that devastating defeat, but that it was at the hands of the literal winning-est player in NFL history, I can't help but feel like Brady is being selfish. He's playing with men half his age; they're trying to establish their own legacies and dynasties; Brady's "sticking around" will invariably overshadow what they're doing simply because the talk around Brady's longevity and success will only continue to increase year over year until he finally hangs it up.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
I can't help but feel like Brady is being selfish. He's playing with men half his age; they're trying to establish their own legacies and dynasties; Brady's "sticking around" will invariably overshadow what they're doing simply because the talk around Brady's longevity and success will only continue to increase year over year until he finally hangs it up.
I truely believe it's because he is one of the most driven people to ever play the sport, or any sport for that matter. People like that just wanna compete and compete and compete until they simply can't. And as long as Brady can compete someones going to want him on their team.

Look at Zlatan or Ronaldo, men reaching an age where most of us will be slowing down and they're still getting better and seeking out big teams to win titles with. Mind you fans don't get as exasperated with them as they do with Brady. I think it's going to be a precedent going forward seeing how well athletes look after themselves nowadays, combined with more teams across different leagues embracing a 'win now' approach. What was that crazy stat about LeBron? He spends over a million dollars on his body a year. Then LA see him as a good long term investment at what would be, historically, most players twilight (Even though he's one of the GOAT's, but I digress)

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I truely believe it's because he is one of the most driven people to ever play the sport, or any sport for that matter. People like that just wanna compete and compete and compete until they simply can't. And as long as Brady can compete someones going to want him on their team.

Look at Zlatan or Ronaldo, men reaching an age where most of us will be slowing down and they're still getting better and seeking out big teams to win titles with. Mind you fans don't get as exasperated with them as they do with Brady. I think it's going to be a precedent going forward seeing how well athletes look after themselves nowadays, combined with more teams across different leagues embracing a 'win now' approach. What was that crazy stat about LeBron? He spends over a million dollars on his body a year. Then LA see him as a good long term investment at what would be, historically, most players twilight (Even though he's one of the GOAT's, but I digress)
I understand and don't disagree at all; I get being driven and competitive, but c'mon, dude; 10 Super Bowls in 20 years; you won 6 of them and maybe a 7th in a couple days... MORE THAN ANYONE. You've DONE it. You've done ALL the competing; you've got nothing left to prove. We're sorry you fell to the 6th round of the draft because people doubted you (maybe it was that 13-second 40 meter time at the combine,) but you've clearly proven everyone wrong; you did that a decade and half ago with 3 SBs in 4 years!

Reactions: Offworlder

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Normally I'd say don't count out The Chiefs with Mahomes as the QB but...

At Halftime, they look REALLY bad right now. I might be eating these words later but if they don't get this figured out and quickly, they're going to get absolutely blown out at this rate. You can't give Brady this kind of a lead and expect it to go well. Figure your shit out soon KC...

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Blaugh

Mahomes didn't look right at all and as the game went on, he was very clearly hobbled. It sounds like he had a toe issue from the last game too so that might explain why he just looked so off all game and it only got worse as he got hit.

On the plus side, I made (at least) $150 on that game! Gambling rules!!!!

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Tom Brady is my dad and I'm tired of denying it.

The best offence in the league managed only 3 field goals, holy shit. Buccs were good offensively, but man, their defence woke up steaming today.

Mahomes didn't look right at all and as the game went on, he was very clearly hobbled. It sounds like he had a toe issue from the last game too so that might explain why he just looked so off all game and it only got worse as he got hit.

It really did look like everything that's happened to him towards the end of the season piled up on him today, physical and mentally. The concussion the other week was probably the worst of it, who knows how badly its messed with him. He looked proper spooked at times and make some terrible calls. I wonder if this is the first time he's had to face that kind of defensive pressure too. Can't remember that last time he was that under the pump.

Enjoyed The Weeknd a lot though. One of the better halftime performances in recent memory. Loved the part during I Can't Feel My Face with all the taped up clones flowing into the golden hallway.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Normally I'd say don't count out The Chiefs with Mahomes as the QB but...
I said the same thing to my [effectively] brother-in-law and fellow 49ers fan; he kept harping about the Buccaneers' defense, and I asked him to recall just last year's Super Bowl where Mahomes turned our 4th quarter, 10-point lead into an 11-point LOSS.

Blaugh

On the plus side, I made (at least) $150 on that game! Gambling rules!!!!
I believe I heard one of the commentators say Mahomes planned on having surgery on his turf toe after the game; gotta wonder if that was wise either way: delaying an apparently necessary surgery or playing on the biggest stage when you're clearly not 100%. Mahomes looked so much unlike himself, one can't help but wonder if it wasn't rigged; if a part of that half a billion dollar contract doesn't have a couple clauses in there that allow Vegas to call the shots when they feel necessary. Mahomes just looked like a deer in the headlights out there; none of his flashes of brilliance and nuance. I can recall at least three times that he was literally running away. I'd say "better luck next time," but again, I'm a Niners' fan, so that's basically the last thing I really want, so "suck it up and fuck off, buttercup."

Tom Brady is my dad and I'm tired of denying it.
Don't you mean grandfather? (<--- TB12 age joke)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Enjoyed The Weeknd a lot though. One of the better halftime performances in recent memory. Loved the part during I Can't Feel My Face with all the taped up clones flowing into the golden hallway.
Not a fan o The Weeknd or his music, but the spectacle was pretty impressive. Saw this meme today, but I'd actually called the similarities during the show.

1612807920293.png

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I’m REALLY curious to find out what Tom Brady said to Tyrann Mathieu during the Super Bowl. In a since deleted Tweet, Mathieu said Brady “called me something I won’t repeat.” Ugh, I think everyone’s mind is going to the same place, but given that Mathieu is “over it,” and Brady has since Tweeted a sincere, very Brady-esque apology to Mathieu, I doubt it was “that” bad, but man, to see Brady breaking his statuesque character and get dirty like that was a bit jarring. Doesn't help that Mathieu was subsequently penalized whereas Brady was not; there's the typical "refs favoring Brady" chatter all over the place on this one.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/22272917/tom-brady-tyrann-mathieu-super-bowl-2021-apology-trash-talk

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Friday, I bought two Valtteri Bottas t-shirts, one for myself and another for my girlfriend; he's our favorite Formula 1 driver. In both practices Friday in Imola, Italy, he came in first, then only managed to qualify for 8th position on Saturday... o_O. Granted, the margins between 1st and 8th were only a couple tenths of a second, but damn, dude. The race Sunday? He fell to 9th, then was wrecked out completely by George Russell, a driver for Williams that also serves as a reserve driver for Bottas' team (Mercedes.) Needless to say, NOT a good showing at all.

Since last year, people have been calling for Russell to replace Bottas at Mercedes, now I'm afraid it might happen for the 2022 season because the reactions in F1 front offices are 99.9% knee-jerk, and my new t-shirts will only have a single season of relevance. He needs some good-to-great showings this season to extend his contract; he can do it, he just needs to stay out of the shit and quit playing wingman to his teammate (fucking Lewis Hamilton) who's officially the winningest driver in F1 history and was recently knighted by the goddamn Queen, for fucks' sake.

Bottas isn't getting a fair shake at all. People look at Hamilton and think he's the "standard," particularly for Mercedes, so anyone who's not consistently winning or finishing high in points is "mediocre." One look at the field, and you'll see MOST of those drivers haven't performed anywhere NEAR to Hamilton's level; he is the exception by far and away; comparing Bottas to him because they have "the same car" (they don't; they're incredible complex machines and anything can go wrong in them at any moment, and Bottas has had a... suspicious amount of mechanical failures and botched pit stops the past couple of years that have led many to think there might be some preferential treatment at Mercedes) only makes Bottas look all the worse.

However it shakes out, Bottas is my guy; we'll wear our t-shirts proudly for as long as they hold up.

EDIT: It should be noted that Imola had rain the day of the race, and no one was performing up to par, i.e.: Hamilton himself lost pole almost immediately to Max Verstappen on the opening lap. He also went off track because of George Russell's unwillingness to allow Hamilton to lap him and fell to 9th immediately prior to the Bottas/Russell incident that caused a race stoppage. Three drivers didn't finish the race, and Bottas, who was driving conservatively due to the wet track, was wrecked out by Russell who tried a pass at a turn which is risky under the best conditions. If people think he's "the better driver" because he makes rash and reckless choices like that, then I've even more reasons not to be a fan of his. Hopefully Toto Wolfe (part Mercedes team owner) realizes that and sticks with the guy who's more consistent and logical; who'd want a wild card running next to the best the sport has ever seen?

I really wish you guys watched F1; I need more people to talk to about it!

Last edited:

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Scandal! Betrayal! Skulduggery! Sour grapes! Twelve top flight clubs from across Europe, including six English Premier League teams, have announced their intention to create an independent midweek league operated by them. UEFA is furious because this is against their rules, and have threatened every club involved with demotion to their nation's own fifth tiers of competition. The Premier League is even more furious that attention might be taken away from it. (The Premier League was originally a breakaway league itself, ironically, albiet one created with the blessing of the FA that simply slotted in at the top of the English football pyramid) The fans are furious that the clubs they support are doing something so self serving that goes against the spirit of how national leagues operate. A lot of the other Premier League sides are furious that there'll be something bleeding money away from their competition. It's a gigantic clusterfuck.

Newcastle are just about staving off relegation from the Premier League, so that's something.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
snip

I really wish you guys watched F1; I need more people to talk to about it!
Ah a fellow Bottas simp. He got unlucky and Russell was a total asshole. I really don't buy the 'he's young', he's acted out before. Also, he's no where near that Mercedes seat. He got plonked in Hamiltons car and fucked up a strategy that Hamilton would have eaten up, or vetoed if he didn't think it would work. I think he'll get it because of the Toto ties, but it'd better be a VERY long term investment if they want him to be anywhere near Hamilton's level (which he probably never will be)

Having said that, I think Bottas is done at Mercedes. He was less consistent last season (outside of Russia) and looks to have lost some pace, which in that car should be impossible with all his experience. If he slips some more Max is gonna demolish him every race. He's held off the other top drivers for years but it appears he can't do it as smoothly as he used to. I like the guy, but unless Merc are loyal to him it feels like a time to be ruthless with driver selection. He's the perfect number two, but if he can't fill that role then there are plenty of others who would kill for that seat and like I said before I'm sure they're keen to getting their next number one driver up and running.

You are absolutely right though, comparing anyone to Hamilton at the moment is stupid, especially after he crashed into a wall and then ended up on the podium. I remember back in the day during Sebs 4 in a row people said the same thing about other drivers. "BuT tHeY hAvN't WoN a TrOpHy?! HoW cAn ThEy Be GoOd?!?!". Its one of the worst ways to think in sport and I'd wish I'd stop.

On the bright side, a banger of a race. Its still Hamilton's world but the rest of the field is tighter than its been in years. Very optimistic for the rest of the season and for the performances of Gasley (my sweet boy <3), Norris, Tsunoda and Stroll. Fun to see young drivers performing again.

Newcastle are just about staving off relegation from the Premier League, so that's something.

Mate, Newcastle could be in champion contention if they keep kicking out clubs.

It's been a wild few days. This is unknown territory for football though. Will it be a disaster that ruins the international careers of top flight players or will the huge casual audience just follow their teams to whatever competition they end up playing in? This will either fizzle out or change football forever, or scariest of all, both. Days like this I'm glad I support a Championship club.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ah a fellow Bottas simp. He got unlucky and Russell was a total asshole. I really don't buy the 'he's young', he's acted out before. Also, he's no where near that Mercedes seat. He got plonked in Hamiltons car and fucked up a strategy that Hamilton would have eaten up, or vetoed if he didn't think it would work. I think he'll get it because of the Toto ties, but it'd better be a VERY long term investment if they want him to be anywhere near Hamilton's level (which he probably never will be)

Having said that, I think Bottas is done at Mercedes. He was less consistent last season (outside of Russia) and looks to have lost some pace, which in that car should be impossible with all his experience. If he slips some more Max is gonna demolish him every race. He's held off the other top drivers for years but it appears he can't do it as smoothly as he used to. I like the guy, but unless Merc are loyal to him it feels like a time to be ruthless with driver selection. He's the perfect number two, but if he can't fill that role then there are plenty of others who would kill for that seat and like I said before I'm sure they're keen to getting their next number one driver up and running.

You are absolutely right though, comparing anyone to Hamilton at the moment is stupid, especially after he crashed into a wall and then ended up on the podium. I remember back in the day during Sebs 4 in a row people said the same thing about other drivers. "BuT tHeY hAvN't WoN a TrOpHy?! HoW cAn ThEy Be GoOd?!?!". Its one of the worst ways to think in sport and I'd wish I'd stop.

On the bright side, a banger of a race. Its still Hamilton's world but the rest of the field is tighter than its been in years. Very optimistic for the rest of the season and for the performances of Gasley (my sweet boy <3), Norris, Tsunoda and Stroll. Fun to see young drivers performing again.
You, sir or madam, have a new Escapist bestie.

I agree, Bottas hasn't looked himself in a while, but I still harbor hopes for him; he's my guy, win or lose. I just hate all the calls for him to be ousted as if he hasn't been a good, competitive driver and a helluva teammate for quite a while. A Mercedes seat is arguably one of the most coveted in the sport; he got it for a reason; give the guy a chance and quit comparing him to a unicorn just because it happens to be his teammate. I'll follow him wherever he lands if not at Mercedes, hopefully a midfield team and not the gutter like Haas or Williams; if he and Russell were to swap, I'd be sick, but it seems a possible scenario. What's Williams got to lose? And Russell's already there for Mercedes...

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
You, sir or madam, have a new Escapist bestie.

I agree, Bottas hasn't looked himself in a while, but I still harbor hopes for him; he's my guy, win or lose. I just hate all the calls for him to be ousted as if he hasn't been a good, competitive driver and a helluva teammate for quite a while. A Mercedes seat is arguably one of the most coveted in the sport; he got it for a reason; give the guy a chance and quit comparing him to a unicorn just because it happens to be his teammate. I'll follow him wherever he lands if not at Mercedes, hopefully a midfield team and not the gutter like Haas or Williams; if he and Russell were to swap, I'd be sick, but it seems a possible scenario. What's Williams got to lose? And Russell's already there for Mercedes...
F1 Gang rise up.

I think they'll hold on to him into next season. Toto obviously likes him, and he's one of the most consistent drivers in F1 history. As elitist as this sounds, the casual fan dictates conversations in sport. You and I see a bit of a drop off and realise he's better based off his times, performance and car. Someone who doesn't follow it as closely sees the standings and make a judgment off that, for better for for worse. It is what it is, but at the end of the day Mercedes knows better than any of us, and I reckon they think he's too valuable a driver right now to move on after a few average races. Doubly so that Lewis is still dad dicking the entire field.

But yeah, if they do drop him, he'll be fine. If Seb doesn't' work out he's an easy fit at Aston Martin. Alpine and McLaren could do a lot worse and I could even see him on one of the Red Bull teams. Our boys going no where anytime soon, but I'll be weird seeing him in anything but a Merc.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Hehe all the Premier League teams that wanted to join the European Super League caved in almost instantly.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Hehe all the Premier League teams that wanted to join the European Super League caved in almost instantly.
I had to ask my Arsenal fan friend what the fuck was going on with that shit. I still don't quite get how the clubs are going to be making money off of this thing, but it's still nice to see it blow up in their faces.

The Real Madrid president claimed that they're doing this to get 16 year olds excited about football again, which makes no sense to me. Is the "youth aren't into sports anymore" narrative a thing that's been going on for a while? I've never noticed it.