SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Hehe all the Premier League teams that wanted to join the European Super League caved in almost instantly.
I can't believe they just went ahead and did it. No consulting the players, managers, members, staff. Just, 'YEAH, how could this go wrong, look at all this money'. It's such a out of touch move. Fans live and breathe their teams and want them to win the Prem or the FA Cup or La Liga or whatever. Not play the same dozen teams til the end of time.

I also love how backhanded all the Prem teams press releases where. One halfhearted sorry and five 'nah fuck, not doing it, what's a super league'

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
F1 Gang rise up.

I think they'll hold on to him into next season. Toto obviously likes him, and he's one of the most consistent drivers in F1 history. As elitist as this sounds, the casual fan dictates conversations in sport. You and I see a bit of a drop off and realise he's better based off his times, performance and car. Someone who doesn't follow it as closely sees the standings and make a judgment off that, for better for for worse. It is what it is, but at the end of the day Mercedes knows better than any of us, and I reckon they think he's too valuable a driver right now to move on after a few average races. Doubly so that Lewis is still dad dicking the entire field.

But yeah, if they do drop him, he'll be fine. If Seb doesn't' work out he's an easy fit at Aston Martin. Alpine and McLaren could do a lot worse and I could even see him on one of the Red Bull teams. Our boys going no where anytime soon, but I'll be weird seeing him in anything but a Merc.
I REALLY hope you're right and Toto's loyalties aren't as fickle as some can be *cough-Daniel Ricciardo-cough*. When I see stuff like what happened to Grosjean and Magnussen at Haas, how the onus of under-performing machines was laid entirely at their feet and they both lost their seats, I worry that drivers who're seemingly complacent and content might be unwittingly wearing targets on their seats.

It's tenuous at times (as with all teams; your teammate is your worst enemy,) but I think Hamilton and Bottas have a pretty decent relationship. But if Bottas makes too much of a fuss (last year when he specifically called for the opposite tires from Hamilton in the pits and was denied, or the botched pit job where Hamilton accidentally got an old set of Bottas' tires and had to pit again,) then doesn’t show up more consistently in high points, I wonder if the team would drop him in lieu of a more agreeable #2 who’d be more than content to drive a silver arrow…

Reactions: Offworlder

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
I REALLY hope you're right and Toto's loyalties aren't as fickle as some can be *cough-Daniel Ricciardo-cough*. When I see stuff like what happened to Grosjean and Magnussen at Haas, how the onus of under-performing machines was laid entirely at their feet and they both lost their seats, I worry that drivers who're seemingly complacent and content might be unwittingly wearing targets on their seats.

It's tenuous at times (as with all teams; your teammate is your worst enemy,) but I think Hamilton and Bottas have a pretty decent relationship. But if Bottas makes too much of a fuss (last year when he specifically called for the opposite tires from Hamilton in the pits and was denied, or the botched pit job where Hamilton accidentally got an old set of Bottas' tires and had to pit again,) then doesn’t show up more consistently in high points, I wonder if the team would drop him in lieu of a more agreeable #2 who’d be more than content to drive a silver arrow…
As long as Lewis is happy I think Bottas is safe. He's said that Bottas is his favourite teammate he's had (Though that is easy to do seeing the last few where Rosberg, Button and Alonso) and those fuck ups aren't his fault. He's got a whole season to get back on track and be a support driver, I think he's all good for now.

But care fully mate, I'm Australian, Dani Ricc slander will not be tolerated. He secured the $40 mil bag and now he can do whatever he wants (other than points, podiums and wins apparently.)

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
But care fully mate, I'm Australian, Dani Ricc slander will not be tolerated. He secured the $40 mil bag and now he can do whatever he wants (other than points, podiums and wins apparently.)
Lol! I've nothing particularly against your native son, just didn't like how he did Renault. Looked like they were trying to build around him, and he just swept the rug out from under them and went to McLaren. Probably a sound business move, and I'm sure shrewder moves have been pulled by F1 teams' leadership, I'm just a big "loyalty" and "underdog" guy. I'll say this, I don't DISLIKE Ricciardo. He's a fun dude; I'd have a beer with him. I'd like to see him teamed up with Kimi Räikkönen; I imagine they'd get along famously! XD

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Lol! I've nothing particularly against your native son, just didn't like how he did Renault. Looked like they were trying to build around him, and he just swept the rug out from under them and went to McLaren. Probably a sound business move, and I'm sure shrewder moves have been pulled by F1 teams' leadership, I'm just a big "loyalty" and "underdog" guy. I'll say this, I don't DISLIKE Ricciardo. He's a fun dude; I'd have a beer with him. I'd like to see him teamed up with Kimi Räikkönen; I imagine they'd get along famously! XD
Jesus, Dani and Kimi, the memes would be incomprehensible.

He did fleece Renault, but if they were willing to shell out that amount of money to him he'd be stupid not to take it. I know a few people who have worked in the Red Bull team and they say he's a fine dude. Be interesting how he can do in the McLaren with a Mercedes engine.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Jesus, Dani and Kimi, the memes would be incomprehensible.
I know, right?!? To hell with memes; I could see a feature-length comedy brewing there!

He did fleece Renault, but if they were willing to shell out that amount of money to him he'd be stupid not to take it. I know a few people who have worked in the Red Bull team and they say he's a fine dude. Be interesting how he can do in the McLaren with a Mercedes engine.
Wait, you mean you personally know some people who’ve worked at Red Bull? They have words on Verstappen? And yeah, Ricciardo at McLaren is going to be interesting to watch. I was pretty shocked when the team asked him to let Norris pass him Sunday; obviously worked out for them, but I really wanted to hear radio of that moment: was he understanding, or were half the words in his response bleeped out? (Already some juicy drama for season 4 of Drive to Survive!)

Last edited:

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
I know, right?!? To hell with memes; I could see a feature-length comedy brewing there!

Wait, you mean you personally know some people who’ve worked at Red Bull? They have words on Verstappen? And yeah, Ricciardo at McLaren is going to be interesting to watch. I was pretty shocked when the team asked him to let Norris pass him Sunday; obviously worked out for them, but I really wanted to hear radio of that moment: was he understanding, or were half the words in his response bleeped out? (Already some juicy drama for season 4 of Drive to Survive!)
I used to know someone who worked PR for some high level athletes when they came to Australia, F1 included. One of my best friends brother works for them on tours in this part of the world. Max and Dani are apparently very chill, not sure about drivers since, haven't talked to them since then.

TBF, it was the right call. Lando had the pace and it worked out. No matter what Riccardo does or has done, Norris is the British driver at the British team with a long term investment. He'll get preference every time, especially if he's flying. Riccardo has had issues with team mates before, but he is a team player. Plus, it's like 2 races in, he'll have have his chance if it comes to him.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
*sigh*

Being a fan of a middling football team is hard.

I'm a Stoke City fan. A few years ago we were a solid Premier League team with a squad that was well above average. As far back as 2017 we were a good side that finished above, or around, 10th in the league. Then we got relegated to the EFL Championship, the 2nd tier of English football.

Now, getting relegated isn't a death sentence. Look at Watford or Norwich this season just gone. But as anyone knows, athletes want to compete at a top level with good teams. So of course you lose your best players. All g, get a good price for them and build again, bound to happen. Rebuild and get that promotion. But then all our other decent players are loaned out because they don't want to play for us/we can't afford them. Well then let's just take the hit and make the most of it.

The first season after relegation we finished 16th in the league. Well, first season down, new manager, we can bounce back.

Second season, we go through three different managers and finish one place higher.

The beginning of this season our first choice goalkeeper, who's played over 150 games for us, leaves for a back up job at a Premier League team. All of our best players are well past 30 and on massive wages. All the players we loaned out aren't coming back. Our recent results pretty much confirm we're a Championship team next season. Every other team that went down in the past few years is going up, or is in a position to do so.

There's a lot of teams in crisis right now, but it's hard seeing your team go from being a good top tier team, to a maybe average second tier team. Bouncing back is near impossible now that top teams are able to poach youth talent and we hire uninspiring managers and average players are all we can get right now. If we were shit it'd be entertaining, it's so much more fun to watch a train crash than grass grow. But it's darker than that. We're worse than bad, we're average, middling, middle of the road, among the pack, in the peloton, nowhere.

Experiencing pain is a growing experience, frustration is simply, frustrating.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
it's so much more fun to watch a train crash than grass grow.
This is a brilliant sentiment; I'm stealing it. I don't follow soccer ('Murica,) but I understand the feeling of watching great potential squalor in mediocrity, and more so, watching said potential pissed away. Head up, though; loyal fans in the darkest of days are far more universally respected than those who only show up when the sun's shining (I'm looking at you, Cleveland Browns' fans; I'm seeing a lot more of you since last year than I have in 30 years...)

Reactions: Offworlder

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
So I witnessed something that I thought I would see happen. The Chicago Bears made manuevers and moved up the draft to grab........JUSTIN FIELDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We did we actually made a a bold move that actually paid off. I had wrote out this season so quick when the Russel Wilson trade fell through and they pulled a welp just Andy Dalton and have Nick Foles corpse in the corner as our quarterback sitution. I don't the Bears have ever had a quarterback of this magnitude. No hate well not a lot of hate I should say to Trubisky I wish him in luck in Buffalo and system did screw you over at times but you did not pan out the way you planned. I used to even joke that front office drafted him because his last name sounds like football player last name.

But this right here this right here I have never been excited to be a Bears fan and the fact that Fields didn't get scooped up until the 11th was an opportunity any team would of scooped and the Bears actually did it. This was obviously a we need to save our fucking jobs move from Pace and Nagy and its grade A move on their part.

Welcome to the Windy City Monsieur Fields I look forward to the damage you do with Robinson and Montgomery

And Bears front office DONT FUCK THIS UP!!!!!.

Also what is this
Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay rift is hitting its crescendo........

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So I witnessed something that I thought I would see happen. The Chicago Bears made manuevers and moved up the draft to grab........JUSTIN FIELDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We did we actually made a a bold move that actually paid off. I had wrote out this season so quick when the Russel Wilson trade fell through and they pulled a welp just Andy Dalton and have Nick Foles corpse in the corner as our quarterback sitution. I don't the Bears have ever had a quarterback of this magnitude. No hate well not a lot of hate I should say to Trubisky I wish him in luck in Buffalo and system did screw you over at times but you did not pan out the way you planned. I used to even joke that front office drafted him because his last name sounds like football player last name.

But this right here this right here I have never been excited to be a Bears fan and the fact that Fields didn't get scooped up until the 11th was an opportunity any team would of scooped and the Bears actually did it. This was obviously a we need to save our fucking jobs move from Pace and Nagy and its grade A move on their part.

Welcome to the Windy City Monsieur Fields I look forward to the damage you do with Robinson and Montgomery

Also what is this
As a Bears fan as well, I just can't get excited until I see good quarterback play. The Bears track record with QBs is so bad that it's a "I'll believe it when I see it" thing. Why do the Bears always pay more for these trades than other teams? I looked back at the Chiefs trade-up to get Mahomes and they paid less to move up more picks than the Bears did here. The main beef I had with the Trubisky pick was the amount they paid to move up to get him.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, so this is a weird question, but I was reading a 90+ year old magazine, The Magnet, (which is a normal thing to do) and in between Billy Bunter getting nearly drowned and rescued by a guy Harry thinks is a criminal, there was a thing about the rules for playing football/soccer for your country.

Apparently, if you were born in a country in the British Isles, you had to play for that country, no matter where you grew up. However, if you were born in a country outside the British Isles, you could come to any country inside the British Isles and play for them if you wanted. At least in the 1930s.

That seems very odd, does anyone know the reason for that?

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia

Also what is this

The NFC North will be real interesting if Rogers bails (PLEASE LET THE RUMOURS ABOUT DENVER BE REAL!!!! PLEASE!!!). If Goff can turn things around in Detroit and Fields works out it'll be very fun to watch. Things are finally looking up for Da Bears, looking forward to seeing the team grow.

Also, jesus fuckin' christ, what black magic did Billy B pull to get Mac Jones to fall into their lap?! Leagues fucked if all those new signings start firing. I don't think anyone can take another few years of the New England empire.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Also what is this
As an Ohio State fan FROM Columbus, I REALLY wanted my Niners to take Fields. They were at both his Pro days, and a lot of buzz suggested we were going after him. Then? It all just... went away. Literally, just stopped. We got Trey Lance. I'm not upset about the pick; hope he does well, but we fucked a lot of mocks when we traded up to #3... for a guy from North Dakota? Was that really the plan all along? Just feels really anticlimactic. But oh well, we're here now.

Congrats on getting Fields for your Bears. I've no particular beef with them, so I hope he pans out for you. See you in the NFC Championship game!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Another gutting weekend of F1. Not nearly as bad as it could have been, but fuck’s sake. Bottas took pole and managed the HELL out of the race for nearly 20 laps, playing the field like a fiddle. Then, instead of playing the role of a supportive teammate (y’know, like Bottas is ALWAYS expected to do) and focusing on holding off Verstappen and Red Bull, Hamilton “had” to win, and attacked his teammate. Bottas made a clear mistake in giving Hamilton (fresh off a DRS attack) the “ole” at turn one when he pinched himself right and basically gave Hamilton the best line into the turn all to himself, but dammit, man.

Then yet another botched pit job for Bottas! Almost 3.5 seconds while they turned around and “figured out” how to manage Hamilton in 2.5 only a few seconds later.

THEN Bottas had a sensor issue that killed the power in his car as he was decisively closing the gap to Verstappen in P2. He’d lost P2 to Verstappen immediately after the aforementioned shit, I mean, PIT stop on cold, hard tires, but still managed to make substantially strong gains to re-take P2.

And THEN, they brought Bottas, in a comfortable P3 with Perez in P4 nearly 30 seconds behind, in to pit with 2 fucking laps to go! By the time they got him back out, Perez was only 3 seconds behind! That’s a lot of time to gain on only 2 laps, but it only would have taken one mistake or incident to rob Bottas of a podium, and it felt like the team was trying their hardest to do just that. Granted, the softs they put him on netted him a fastest lap (which he’d already managed on the cold hards) and some points, but still, WTF Toto??

Yes, I am biased because Bottas can do no wrong in my eyes and I would die for that man, but sometimes, even without the bias, it feels like the deck is stacked against him, or at least it’s stacked in Hamilton’s favor. I obviously wasn’t on the team radio, but it never felt like at any point when Bottas was leading, was there any direction for “team” play, but the SECOND Hamilton took the lead, the team couldn’t wait to tell Bottas that once the gap between him in P2 and Hamilton in P1 was +3 seconds, they were going to bring Bottas in to pit; basically, “once Hamilton is well ahead of Verstappen in P3, fuck your P2.”

Was good to see Bottas didn’t come out afterwards appearing salty, but I know he had to have been. And as much as I love the Croft’s commentating, if he could take his lips off of Hamilton’s and Verstappen’s penises long enough to celebrate anyone else, it’d be appreciated.

That said. Excellent drive by Ricciardo. Quali sucked BIG time, but he managed to get into points. Congrats.

Haas and Williams? Right where I expected. It’s almost like they’re in a different race every week. I feel bad for Hass; Williams, not so much (mostly because Russell is the heir apparent to Bottas’ seat at Mercedes.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Another gutting weekend of F1. Not nearly as bad as it could have been, but fuck’s sake. Bottas took pole and managed the HELL out of the race for nearly 20 laps, playing the field like a fiddle. Then, instead of playing the role of a supportive teammate (y’know, like Bottas is ALWAYS expected to do) and focusing on holding off Verstappen and Red Bull, Hamilton “had” to win, and attacked his teammate. Bottas made a clear mistake in giving Hamilton (fresh off a DRS attack) the “ole” at turn one when he pinched himself right and basically gave Hamilton the best line into the turn all to himself, but dammit, man.

Then yet another botched pit job for Bottas! Almost 3.5 seconds while they turned around and “figured out” how to manage Hamilton in 2.5 only a few seconds later.

THEN Bottas had a sensor issue that killed the power in his car as he was decisively closing the gap to Verstappen in P2. He’d lost P2 to Verstappen immediately after the aforementioned shit, I mean, PIT stop on cold, hard tires, but still managed to make substantially strong gains to re-take P2.

And THEN, they brought Bottas, in a comfortable P3 with Perez in P4 nearly 30 seconds behind, in to pit with 2 fucking laps to go! By the time they got him back out, Perez was only 3 seconds behind! That’s a lot of time to gain on only 2 laps, but it only would have taken one mistake or incident to rob Bottas of a podium, and it felt like the team was trying their hardest to do just that. Granted, the softs they put him on netted him a fastest lap (which he’d already managed on the cold hards) and some points, but still, WTF Toto??

Yes, I am biased because Bottas can do no wrong in my eyes and I would die for that man, but sometimes, even without the bias, it feels like the deck is stacked against him, or at least it’s stacked in Hamilton’s favor. I obviously wasn’t on the team radio, but it never felt like at any point when Bottas was leading, was there any direction for “team” play, but the SECOND Hamilton took the lead, the team couldn’t wait to tell Bottas that once the gap between him in P2 and Hamilton in P1 was +3 seconds, they were going to bring Bottas in to pit; basically, “once Hamilton is well ahead of Verstappen in P3, fuck your P2.”

Was good to see Bottas didn’t come out afterwards appearing salty, but I know he had to have been. And as much as I love the Croft’s commentating, if he could take his lips off of Hamilton’s and Verstappen’s penises long enough to celebrate anyone else, it’d be appreciated.

That said. Excellent drive by Ricciardo. Quali sucked BIG time, but he managed to get into points. Congrats.

Haas and Williams? Right where I expected. It’s almost like they’re in a different race every week. I feel bad for Hass; Williams, not so much (mostly because Russell is the heir apparent to Bottas’ seat at Mercedes.
Pour one out for big Valtteri after that pit stop at Monaco. That's the most brutal one of the lot. Mans pure cursed.