SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
The Bucks really gave up two first round picks and a potentially very good played in RJ Hampton for Jrue Holiday. I don't understand why you'd sign Giannis to a long contract and then make 'win now moves'. Even then, get a player for the future rather than a 31 year old vet. I thought they'd try and pull a Clippers and get a two top ten player tag team going for Giannis, he desperately needs some help. If he goes down god help the Bucks.

The Suns on the other hand have done an amazing job with their squad. They got lucky with the Booker draft, but getting Ayton has been a massive boon. And I've gone from viewing the CP3 trade as one of the worse to one of the best in the last few years, even if they did give up a kings ransom for him. (Forgive me Point God) If they can lock down those young guys they'll be a force in the west for years to come.

I reckon the Bucks will pick up a game or two at home, but I can't see this going to 7.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Anybody watch Copa América? Argentina won last night. That's the first win for the national selection I can recall in my lifetime, although I guess they won in 91 and 93 as well (I would've been 2 and 4). A World Cup in my lifetime would be nice, too. I'm just glad the hype about being number one pays out for once. And Messi finally scores a title with his home team, too.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So apparently Italy won like the Eurocup, and good for them, I just think its funny it was 1-1 for the entire game, and it came down to overtime penalty kicks but Italy is considered the "uncontested" champions and its like seems pretty contested to me. Literally won by one kick.

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Its alway penalties with England. The stories of no one outside of Shearer practicing them because it apparently all comes down to luck, Euro 2004, Italy 1990, France 1996, Germany 2006, and now Euro 2021. Don't know what Southgate was thinking with those 120 minute subs when they are more experienced players on the pitch and on the bench.

Well done to Italy though. Great redemption arc after missing Russia 2018. I wonder if they is the final bit of leverage Donnarumma needs to finally force his way out of Milan.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Honestly I wish England had won and Argentina had lost.
Oh well.
Italy played a good game, so I think they earned it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Football did not come home because it did not wish to live in the cabinet next to our trophy for Best Racist.

Reactions: Offworlder

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Football did not come home because it did not wish to live in the cabinet next to our trophy for Best Racist.
Yeah, I saw some extremely ugly statements on social media in the aftermath of the game.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah, I saw some extremely ugly statements on social media in the aftermath of the game.
Gotta love the beautiful game. I wish keeping up to date with football news didn't also mean being subjected to some of the worst humanity has to offer.

OT: It's odd that I care less about the Suns vs Bucks than I did any other series. Maybe it's because I think either team deserves it and I'm not a fan of anyone involved. I think I'm edging towards the Suns more, because Giannis could easily get a few more chips in his career. CP, maybe not.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Master Of Puppets

Apr 5, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Gotta love the beautiful game. I wish keeping up to date with football news didn't also mean being subjected to some of the worst humanity has to offer.

OT: It's odd that I care less about the Suns vs Bucks than I did any other series. Maybe it's because I think either team deserves it and I'm not a fan of anyone involved. I think I'm edging towards the Suns more, because Giannis could easily get a few more chips in his career. CP, maybe not.
I bet the league's pretty upset is Suns vs Bucks.

I think it's nice to have new faces in the finals, but I haven't really been watching earnestly for a few years now. I don't really enjoy the new 3-point meta, I think it's pretty boring to watch.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Fresh narratives is always good for the sport, but the conversation around this finals has been so trash.

First all the talking heads complaining because it would be 'hard' to talk about the finals games, because they can't repeat the same tired LeBron/Curry/Durant talking points and be exposed for the hacks they are, despite the fact we've ended up with two teams full of players with interesting stories. Then all the fans throwing tantrums and calling this a 'micky ring' because they can't cheer for an easily marketable face outside of Giannis.

It's been one of the most interesting post seasons in a long time and the overall reaction has been nothing but absolute negativity.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Master Of Puppets

Apr 5, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Fresh narratives is always good for the sport, but the conversation around this finals has been so trash.

First all the talking heads complaining because it would be 'hard' to talk about the finals games, because they can't repeat the same tired LeBron/Curry/Durant talking points and be exposed for the hacks they are, despite the fact we've ended up with two teams full of players with interesting stories. Then all the fans throwing tantrums and calling this a 'micky ring' because they can't cheer for an easily marketable face outside of Giannis.

It's been one of the most interesting post seasons in a long time and the overall reaction has been nothing but absolute negativity.
Yep.

Suns beat the Lakers and all the media can talk about the next day is "what next for LeBron and the Lakers?", and extensive lists of all the mega-stars like Lillard they need to acquire before next season...

Better to just turn it off.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Good to see the brtis lose after all their smugness, I don't give a shit about soccer.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States

Thank you I love everything about how this finals ended up. Cause everyone kind of costed the season thinking Lakers and Nets but then injuries and with sheer grit prevailed and no one I mean no saw this this coming and I love it. This the parity the NBA needed and the people obsessed with "Star Power" can fuck off both analyst and fans. I mean the both last year finalist got knocked out the first round after that this whole finals became the hypest shit.

Plus its hard to know who the root for. Cause you have the Suns who not 3 years ago had the worst record in the NBA but being let by coming of age core led by the veteran who was also close never could grab that moment have chance to win their first Finals in team history. You have the Franchise who has not won it since 71 and not even sniffied it since 74 so they are breaking a long ass drought led the by a phenom surround by players carefully selected to pay their dues.

Man this the best finals match up in a long time and makes next season even more intriguing.

Reactions: Offworlder

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This the parity the NBA needed and the people obsessed with "Star Power" can fuck off both analyst and fans.
I mean, let's be honest, "star power" is the lifeblood of the NBA.

Let me qualify my sentiments by saying I am not a basketball fan. I find the sport extremely boring and annoying, if I'm being honest. But I also know the league is full of divas who know their level of talent who try and position themselves with other divas to create dominant teams because they want to win championships. And from what I've seen, it's not uncommon for a team to lean on one or two guys; that's how they become "stars." Unlike a lot of team sports, basketball, while cooperative, ultimately comes down to the one guy taking the shot/making the block; the guys who come out on top most often become stars and the reason teams find success.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I mean, let's be honest, "star power" is the lifeblood of the NBA.

Let me qualify my sentiments by saying I am not a basketball fan. I find the sport extremely boring and annoying, if I'm being honest. But I also know the league is full of divas who know their level of talent who try and position themselves with other divas to create dominant teams because they want to win championships. And from what I've seen, it's not uncommon for a team to lean on one or two guys; that's how they become "stars." Unlike a lot of team sports, basketball, while cooperative, ultimately comes down to the one guy taking the shot/making the block; the guys who come out on top most often become stars and the reason teams find success.
I know the NBA needs star power I was just looking sideways at people groaning about super teams then saying why is this finals when the super teams got beaten.

And I don't hate super teams but I necessary "evil" if you may because I least appreciate players having a say than organizations jerking guys around to their hearts content which is the case for some players who don't have that levarage.

Also I don't basketball is alone that descriptions can describe soccar or fubol the worlds most popular sport, hockey, hell volleyball even. Basketball is still a team sport because you can have top tier player of all time but if the other 4 are trash then nothing comes of it. I know you are not a basketball but Lebrons first run in Cleveland was an example this and Jordans first years with the Bulls before the front office got actually players starting with Pippin going into the 90s.

Also this series does have star power on both teams just not the star power blout that analyst and some fans wanted.