SPORTS BALL!!!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Lil devils x said:
That's a very good point. In their line of work being the Rock probably doesn't add much, since they all need to be skin/bones. But extra strength would help with their pole routines.

I guess my hold up is all these modern athletes, Phelps, Bolt, the Williams sisters, Biles, etc...they're all super human. Breaking world records set by people we know in hindsight were on drugs. So what are the odds all these athletes are just naturally born the best ever at their events, beating generations worth of records set by people we know were enhanced?
Its like someone being naturally faster than Captain America. Its damn impressive you've beaten someone who was enhanced to be faster, stronger and have more endurance than the human body was evolved to have.
To go back to Bolt, he beat Bruce Jenner's 100m record by nearly a second! A SECOND! And Bruce we know was on drugs during the '76 races. We all thought Bolt was super human, literally.
Nope. Drugs. Just like Bruce before him, and whoever held the records before Bruce. Going back to before steroids where a thing like in the 20s/30s where athletes would snort cocaine and have coffee IVs before races.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Avnger said:
McElroy said:
Biles in particular stands out because while she sure is built, she is also only 1.42 meters tall. That basically means she had a really short puberty at age 9 or 10, and I'd wager it wasn't entirely up to chance.
Short people totally don't exist naturally...
To be fair the Chinese have been cheating for decades using pre-teen Gymnasts with fake ids. Girls before puberty and the like. Naturally smaller, thinner. So it wouldn't be a stretch that Olympic teams screen for athletes naturally built for their events.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
McElroy said:
Hell, they will have skateboarding in the Olympics in 2020.
Wait...is that legit?

*Googles*

IT IS!!!! That's awesome! I tried skateboarding and failed miserably but watching skateboarding is fun.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
McElroy said:
Wow if it didn't take too long for someone to start the complains. Yes-yes, most sports are fucked and the athletes are roided. Watch it for the show. Hell, they will have skateboarding in the Olympics in 2020.

Biles in particular stands out because while she sure is built, she is also only 1.42 meters tall. That basically means she had a really short puberty at age 9 or 10, and I'd wager it wasn't entirely up to chance.
That isn't what that means at all. I have no idea why you ever even remotely thought that. Her height likely has everything to do with numerous genes. All the women in my family are short and no we did not have "short puberty" and I am not even sure where you came up with that madness.
here this may help:

It's believed that up to 80 percent of a person's height is determined by genetics; however, the research shows that it's not just genes directly related to bone growth that are associated with growing tall. For example, the mTOR gene, known for its role in cellular growth, was also found to boost height. So were genes related to collagen (a structural protein in connective tissue) metabolism, and some genes that seemingly have no relation at all.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/height-isnt-only-determined-tall-gene-hundreds-genes-some-not-even-directly-related-growth-306365

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/height

My puberty started early and ended late and have had hormonal imbalances causing my breasts to keep growing after puberty and I still came out short. My sisters who had a completely normal puberty and no imbalance and are the same height as me. My other sister who had to have her ovaries removed in high school is the same height.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Silentpony said:
To go back to Bolt, he beat Bruce Jenner's 100m record by nearly a second! A SECOND! And Bruce we know was on drugs during the '76 races. We all thought Bolt was super human, literally.
Jenner was a decathlete. And they weren't the fastest 100m sprinter in Montreal either with a time of 10.94 which remained Jenner's PB. The current WR holder for decathlon Ashton Eaton ran it in 10.21. Bolt's record from 2009 is 9.58.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Smithnikov said:
I'm a janitor for a high school. In the South.

So football season is NOT a pleasant thing to realize.
I?m oft responsible for picking up a 14-year-old 6 foot tall +200 pound boy after football practice 4 times a week in North Texas in the dead of Summer where temperatures routinely reach +100 very humid degrees; I can confirm that the stank of single teenager coated in boiled testosterone and sweat is nigh unbearable and I cannot, nay, WILL not imagine what an entire locker room of them smells like let alone will I imagine cleaning up after them. My sincerest condolences to you, sir.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
McElroy said:
Silentpony said:
Jenner was a decathlete. And they weren't the fastest 100m sprinter in Montreal either with a time of 10.94 which remained Jenner's PB. The current WR holder for decathlon Ashton Eaton ran it in 10.21. Bolt's record from 2009 is 9.58.
The point still stands we all thought Bolt was super human for beating records set by people we know were on drugs.
How many other world record holders are on drugs? My guess is all of them

Sep 24, 2008
I'm not the biggest into sports. But there are a few things I like.

Yet there's one thing I love.

I love Hakas.

I love Hakas [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzg4rJJNX30]. I Love Hakas [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUbx-AcDgXo]. I Love HAKAS [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt6GRghrmaU].

I simply can not express the Power and the Majesty I see in Hakas. I feel so privileged every time I see one. Hands down, there is little in my eyes that is such an unqiue expression of one's culture that humbles me every time I see one. Every time. When I learned Toronto had a Haka class, I was so excited but then I was afraid of being disrespectful for doing something of such importance for fun. I love being black, but if I had to be born again I would push everyone out of the line to be the first to be Maori. Some people fanboy and girl over Japanese and British. I am a complete Mark over the Maori culture.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
ObsidianJones said:
I'm not the biggest into sports. But there are a few things I like.

Yet there's one thing I love.

I love Hakas.

I love Hakas [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzg4rJJNX30]. I Love Hakas [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUbx-AcDgXo]. I Love HAKAS [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt6GRghrmaU].

I simply can not express the Power and the Majesty I see in Hakas. I feel so privileged every time I see one. Hands down, there is little in my eyes that is such an unqiue expression of one's culture that humbles me every time I see one. Every time. When I learned Toronto had a Haka class, I was so excited but then I was afraid of being disrespectful for doing something of such importance for fun. I love being black, but if I had to be born again I would push everyone out of the line to be the first to be Maori. Some people fanboy and girl over Japanese and British. I am a complete Mark over the Maori culture.
I never new Hakas were a thing until I watched Invictus[i/], and they are indeed impressive, very intimidating. Insofar as the idea that full-contact sports are largely symbolic of combat, it?s fitting that a match should begin with a war chant and dance of sorts where opponents exchange wild-eyed stares and call each other to war. Unfortunately, I?ll never see anything like it my beloved NFL seeing as they?re already giving out heavy penalties and fines for ?excessive celebrations;? I imagine choreographed ?death threats? would fall firmly under that blanket.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
I love Hakas.
I'm not sure what exactly that was but I am 100% on board after watching :D

Xprimentyl said:
I imagine choreographed 'death threats' would fall firmly under that blanket.
I think we can all agree that sports need more choreographed death threats

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"Hey, here's a thing that's nice!"
"WRONG! Nothing is nice, everything is shit, that is probably shit, and I'll contrive a bunch of reasons to 'prove' it's shit!"

Gotta love reflexive cynicism.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Lil devils x said:
Although the thread is titled " SPORTS BALL!" Does any sport count?
I was in gymnastics my whole life, was captain of my gymnastics team my senior year of High School and taught gymnastics while in college, along with all of the gymnasts and former gymnasts of the world, I have to say I am absolutely in awe of Simone Biles strength, ability and sheer talent. She is AMAZING!
Some of her stuff popped up in my feed elsewhere. Couldn't believe the one she did on the mat. Didn't know people could jump that high! And spin that many times! She is crazy good.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
Avnger said:
McElroy said:
Short people totally don't exist naturally...
To be fair the Chinese have been cheating for decades using pre-teen Gymnasts with fake ids. Girls before puberty and the like. Naturally smaller, thinner. So it wouldn't be a stretch that Olympic teams screen for athletes naturally built for their events.
I don't think anyone (sane) would argue that certain sports are easier for people with specific body types, and organizations/teams know and use that knowledge. McElroy's post seemed to indicate Biles was made to have a body type for gymnastics though rather than being short and therefore having the body type that has an easier time at gymnastics

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Avnger said:
McElroy's post seemed to indicate Biles was made to have a body type for gymnastics though rather than being short and therefore having the body type that has an easier time at gymnastics
Not "made" but helped along.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
McElroy said:
Avnger said:
McElroy's post seemed to indicate Biles was made to have a body type for gymnastics though rather than being short and therefore having the body type that has an easier time at gymnastics
Not "made" but helped along.
I don't think so. Some of us are just short. LOL! I can't even believe I am having this conversation.

C'mon people can the girl just get credit for her amazing accomplishments without being accused of having her growth stunted or doping?! Damn this girl is making history over and over again and she deserves credit for her astonishing abilities here!
Baffle2 said:
Lil devils x said:
Although the thread is titled " SPORTS BALL!" Does any sport count?
I was in gymnastics my whole life, was captain of my gymnastics team my senior year of High School and taught gymnastics while in college, along with all of the gymnasts and former gymnasts of the world, I have to say I am absolutely in awe of Simone Biles strength, ability and sheer talent. She is AMAZING!
Some of her stuff popped up in my feed elsewhere. Couldn't believe the one she did on the mat. Didn't know people could jump that high! And spin that many times! She is crazy good.
And here it is again in slow motion!

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
"WRONG! Nothing is nice, everything is shit, that is probably shit, and I'll contrive a bunch of reasons to 'prove' it's shit!"

Welcome to the escapist

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Marik2 said:
The Rogue Wolf said:

Welcome to the escapist
I prefer the term 'Welcome to the real world'

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Silentpony said:
Marik2 said:
The Rogue Wolf said:

Welcome to the escapist
chocolate pickles was right about you all along

Oct 22, 2011
Marik2 said:
The Rogue Wolf said:

Welcome to the escapist
Yeah, the name obliges i mean... oh.

oh...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Marik2 said:
Silentpony said:
Marik2 said:
The Rogue Wolf said:

Welcome to the escapist
chocolate pickles was right about you all along
Please the only thing CP was ever right about was that he'd be banned within a month of the wild west shutting down. And even then he never said that, I did and he said I was wrong.